What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone think that, with the current financial problems, more people are taking the advice to cook from scratch, rather than buy in ready-made meals and this is contributing to less of the raw ingredients on the shelves, and higher prices of those raw materials? As a rule you get better food cooked from scratch, so it's all to the good, but I think that some of our shops aren't geared up for a changing market. Or perhaps, some producers. The wholesale market, I suspect, isn't as flexible as it once was. Or is it just on the Islands?
I think it goes something like this.

Brexit made importing more expensive & bureaucratic, so some importers backed out & delivered elsewhere with less hassle ..ergo fewer deliveries.

Our farmers getting squeezed on every front it seems
Energy crisis bills just the latest.

Many slowed down or just quit the heavy energy use until spring

Ergo less stock or back up.

It's a cold snap across Europe, every one wants what's available.

We just happen to be back of the queue, as it's seems food across Europe hasn't got the same issues as here....mmhh.

Ergo Eat Turnips, said the lady who clearly doesn't.

For my tuppence or 20 cenrs worth.

We're being lied to on such an industrial scale, I think George Orwell's estate should be suing the hell out of Johnson and the CONservative government for plagiarism & copyright infringements.

Btw, Victory to Oceania.
In case anyone's watching ..;)

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greetings - I know I have been sporadic. Anxiety is a strange beast and the last two months have been very up and down for me BUT - I managed to keep a Libre sensor on for a month without knocking it off, ripping it off in my thrashy sleep, and... by and large it worked!
So maybe I feel ready to rejoin the daily BG chat as I think I will be able to at least post about that!

FBG at 05:44 4.8 ➡️

Since the start of the year I have been experimenting with working to a TDEE calculator. I take my measurements (Neck, Waist, Hips and use a free Body Fat calculator to get a number) and so in January I lost my 1lb of Christmas indulgence by largely staying within a range of 76-132g of carbs in a day.

February - I would say honestly that crept up to around 168g at its most but my average BG a la Swipey is 6.8 and my estimated A1c is currently 5.9% - so it will be interesting to see what is said in the diabetic check-up I have next week.

Work wise - well who knows. I have some BBC shifts and have trying and largely failing astronomically to find more stable work -applying for jobs - hearing absolutely nothing and yet seeing the same job being advertised on linked in is demoralising to say the least.
Trying to develop skills and testimonials for copywriting - but again very hard to get off the ground at the moment. Applying for lots in sites like Upwork but most likely being undercut or worse, approached off platform by people who expect you to work for free first - a big no-no for the platform too. Depressing, to say the least.

Took a part time job as a Marshall at my golf club - ostensibly to earn enough to pay my monthly subs. I totally didn't realise that as staff... my membership is paid for. So have been earning a little from that which hopefully with the lodgers' rents will see me cover costs when the energy subsidy disappears in April.

I know (and hate) being all doom and gloom when I drop by so I need to make a concerted effort not to be such a miserable mouse so a positive for ya. I have managed to work out on the Treadmill, Spin Bike and Elliptical every week since the start of the year, and that included overnight shift nonsense with the Australian Open for the BBC. This is why I decided to change my approach to carb counting as I was finding on those days, protein shakes and then breakfast, lunch and dinner was putting me over the arbitrary 100g of carbs and I just decided I wanted to apply a bit of s science to proceedings. What level of carbs could I live with to stay in normal range. So January was a better month but I think February's numbers were equally important to understand.

Oh and by some miracle golf handicap has come down twice in the last month so hopefully before long, the lovely ladies will stop rolling their eyes in despair if I tag on to their tee times for competition days.

Spinbike and light weights today and hopefully will see you all tomorrow.

TL,DR? I think I might be back-ish and will try not to be such an anxiety-ridden soggy blanket.
Nice to hear from you @RFSMarch

lindisfel

Expert
P
Not my field, clearly

But my other half has found very similar results .

She's a heavy advocate of hrt & gel...( & Loves Davina McCall for her work breaking down barriers & improving information )

Hugs for the muddled confusion & energy losses
Most distressing

But a huge win for taking notice of a good friends advice .

Sure life looks a lot brighter now .
The nearest thing men get is Prostate cancer and taking an hormone blocker for years.
Not pleasant all those hot flushes and weakness!
D.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh god - my mind has been a dark and horrible place in this 8-week long Blue January! I blame finally succumbing to the signs I had probably been ignoring since 2019 and admitting that I was actually menopausal. Since getting the gel and tablets a lot of the crippling brain fog has gone, and I am a bit more of a functioning adult. God bless my bestie who is younger than I am and she was the one that gently suggested that some of the exhaustion and concentration issues I have had for the last few years was most likely that.
Great that a lot of the brain fog has gone and what a good friend your bestie is.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus all from Little America. There and back, an old geezer's journey across the worst of the sinking, cracking, undulating and winding fen roads earlier because the much better route is being excavated and gentrified. Collected 1 yo grandson and safely delivered him here which is a blessing so thanks be to God. Same journey tomorrow for immunotherapy but I'll take the venerable RR now I'm sure of the route. The scheduled other two grandchildren are elsewhere today as 10 yo grandson is ill. MIL is now eating and drinking so may be discharged Friday which will save JKP the round trip to Bury St Edmunds and ridiculous parking fees. Not to mention stress. @RFSMarch wonderful to see you here and good news on the exercise, handicap dropping, scientific approach and help with the other problem. @Krystyna23040 good news on the drop in fbg and breakfast. For the cheesecake base obviously use butter to bind it and a spell in the fridge is useful. Try this for the cheese for an aspirational taste. I use The Grape Tree linseed milled with the flat blade of a Nutribullet and obviously bulk foods inulin. @dunelm and @gennepher thanks for delighting us with your art. So tempting to see the green shoots of common sense but its always the hope that kills. BFN chums.
Thank you @ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

Wildlife nighttime on the trail camera.

Cats & Fox & Badger - a busy night.

One of these days that badger will get on that swing ..

Creative is a sheep, painted in Procreate.

All the beasties are hungry at the moment, polishing off every scrap of cat biscuits in the night. I've started a couple more feeding stations in more secluded parts of the garden with no cameras. They are all aware of the nighttime cameras, so. I thought a bit of privacy for the more shy among them.

I was out yesterday, and so I left the trail cameras on during the day, to see who the daytime visitors are, which are cats, and the blackbirds and robin for the cat biscuits (they will take the cat biscuits off the swing), and a magpie and a wood pigeon. Mine is a very busy garden both nighttime and daytime.

Time for a nap and a cuppa tea.

Have your best day.

5706C6C7-889C-44FB-90D5-4171E45107DE.jpeg

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
6.30am FBG 5.0 this is strange because I had literal midnight snack of several sugary biscuits ... up early due to misreading time on phone.
Kiki is a recovering from her operation on Tuesday. She was very wobbly on her feet and slept for several hours when we got home. Later found her on the floor, apparently unable to get back to her bed which is on a dining chair. She had little appetite that evening and I was worried about her. Seems strange that there was no offer of pain meds. However by the next day she was a lot more recovered and now seems almost back to normal apart from the expanse of naked belly visible. Am keeping her inside as much as possible because it is really cold. Back to the vet next Friday for a check up.
Otherwise it's more digging and I planted the garlic - nearly a hundred cloves taking up more room than I had planned. Looks as if we need considerably more room for vegetables. Probably too cold now for the potatoes planted during a warm spell. They are covered with mulch but still not sure any will grow. Very dry still despite the short rain shower yesterday which turned briefly to snow before freezing.
Have put a few beans and mangetout in pots inside to start off.
Tomato and pepper seedlings are appearing in the kitchen. Kiki is very interested in them and frequently tries to taste!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember during that pandemic when everyone was loading up on rice and pasta - I had my pick of cauliflowers and cabbage and stuff I needed for most of my diabetic diet needs. I actually posted in NextDoor that I must be the only person in town who didn't give a ... Castlemaine XXXX (there's an ad reference for you) that were was no rice and pasta! Someone in the app got really mad and told me that wasn't very nice!!! (Probably as they loaded up for a year's supply of Fusili!)
No pleasing some folk

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.5

Wildlife nighttime on the trail camera.

Cats & Fox & Badger - a busy night.

One of these days that badger will get on that swing ..

Creative is a sheep, painted in Procreate.

All the beasties are hungry at the moment, polishing off every scrap of cat biscuits in the night. I've started a couple more feeding stations in more secluded parts of the garden with no cameras. They are all aware of the nighttime cameras, so. I thought a bit of privacy for the more shy among them.

I was out yesterday, and so I left the trail cameras on during the day, to see who the daytime visitors are, which are cats, and the blackbirds and robin for the cat biscuits (they will take the cat biscuits off the swing), and a magpie and a wood pigeon. Mine is a very busy garden both nighttime and daytime.

Time for a nap and a cuppa tea.

Have your best day.

View attachment 59650
Smashing. those badgers will soon be forming a union and demanding to be credited and then it will be speaking parts and then will go on strike.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.30am FBG 5.0 this is strange because I had literal midnight snack of several sugary biscuits ... up early due to misreading time on phone.
Kiki is a recovering from her operation on Tuesday. She was very wobbly on her feet and slept for several hours when we got home. Later found her on the floor, apparently unable to get back to her bed which is on a dining chair. She had little appetite that evening and I was worried about her. Seems strange that there was no offer of pain meds. However by the next day she was a lot more recovered and now seems almost back to normal apart from the expanse of naked belly visible. Am keeping her inside as much as possible because it is really cold. Back to the vet next Friday for a check up.
Otherwise it's more digging and I planted the garlic - nearly a hundred cloves taking up more room than I had planned. Looks as if we need considerably more room for vegetables. Probably too cold now for the potatoes planted during a warm spell. They are covered with mulch but still not sure any will grow. Very dry still despite the short rain shower yesterday which turned briefly to snow before freezing.
Have put a few beans and mangetout in pots inside to start off.
Tomato and pepper seedlings are appearing in the kitchen. Kiki is very interested in them and frequently tries to taste!
Hope she makes a full recovery. All the best with your plantings.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning everyone from a bright and sunny start here in the posh south. The further you explore into the hinterland of ‘The South’, the more you realise that all this poshness comes with a price. More traffic on roads and people who get worried if you give them a cheery “good morning” or God forbid, doff your cap. Art bit, more pre-prepared scratches. Have a smashing day if you can, I have koffy so will sit and slurp it.

1677746353782.jpeg

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK so let's get into some kind of routine then.
FBG 6.6 ➡️ at the pleasant time of 5:15am thanks to a police heli-chopper whizzing around the area searching for who knows what/who.

So I did my sometimes-daily Wordle, Quordle and Heardle 80s. Wordle and Quordle were good. I am a disgrace to my 80s roots in missing today's song.

Today's activity is a schlep to Sandown Park Golf to try out their Par 3 course. I was supposed to go with a lovely golf chum but she bailed and I moved it to today. She can't make it but (having played with her recently) she commented that it would be useful for me to practice actually AIMING my chips at the flag instead of my usual practice of just get the **** ball on the green and then worry about getting it in the hole.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all from a sunny but decidedly chilly again Little America. @gennepher thanks for sharing another wonderful sheep cunningly sheltering cats and also for revealing some of the antics of the teeming wildlife in your garden. @dunelm thanks for sharing your artistic gifts yet again. Enjoy your travels in the hinterland of a fairly atypical part of The South. My experience of The North and its natives suggests the fabled hospitality and friendliness is hugely exaggerated but YMMV - well, it obviously does. Or is that part of the ITK joke? Good and bad everywhere holds as true as ever. @SlimLizzy the optimistic rating is for Kiki seeming to recover, the planting and germinating - the miracle of new life in time for Easter? - and the fbg showing The D isn't the mistress of you. @lindisfel is tomorrow your long day at Freeman's or have I badly remembered? Whatever the date, thoughts and prayers with you, Marjorie and your girls. @Annb pain killer prescription collection day I hope. @RFSMarch good to see you again and enjoy the golf. Quite cheeky of your friend but hopefully after some more practice you will have the last word. Very poorly little grandson yesterday - at one stage his temperature hit 40 °C after a spectacular display of orally releasing his food :bigtears: - but the magic of Calpol, and stripping off to nappy brought it down despite him only wanting to sit with dandad. Finally, a job I can actually do. He had recovered by home time but symptoms returned at night. Some fun blue on blue action which could be what happens when thieves fall out, people getting their retaliation/defence in first, the truth being stranger than fiction or honest people making mistakes with the best intentions. Can't help thinking Oakeshott harmed herself and the very r/w headbangers - trying to defend the indefensible. My MP seems to have garnered sympathy deserved or not. Whatever, it is good click bait and likely to increase sales of pop corn but probably not viewers for GB News or talk TV. Nice try guys :) Y'all have a good now, ya hear? Ye haaw.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 this morning. So adding back the flaxseeds was absolutely fine. I am really enjoying my breakfasts now. Another very enjoyable addition is a Montezuma 100% chocolate mini egg filled with peanut butter. Feels really wicked and decadent but is very low carb.

Very busy morning. Dog walk, Aldi shopping and now admin for the rest of the morning. Bought some smashed avocado. It will be interesting to see what this is like.

lindisfel

Expert
Morning all from a sunny but decidedly chilly again Little America. @gennepher thanks for sharing another wonderful sheep cunningly sheltering cats and also for revealing some of the antics of the teeming wildlife in your garden. @dunelm thanks for sharing your artistic gifts yet again. Enjoy your travels in the hinterland of a fairly atypical part of The South. My experience of The North and its natives suggests the fabled hospitality and friendliness is hugely exaggerated but YMMV - well, it obviously does. Or is that part of the ITK joke? Good and bad everywhere holds as true as ever. @SlimLizzy the optimistic rating is for Kiki seeming to recover, the planting and germinating - the miracle of new life in time for Easter? - and the fbg showing The D isn't the mistress of you. @lindisfel is tomorrow your long day at Freeman's or have I badly remembered? Whatever the date, thoughts and prayers with you, Marjorie and your girls. @Annb pain killer prescription collection day I hope. @RFSMarch good to see you again and enjoy the golf. Quite cheeky of your friend but hopefully after some more practice you will have the last word. Very poorly little grandson yesterday - at one stage his temperature hit 40 °C after a spectacular display of orally releasing his food :bigtears: - but the magic of Calpol, and stripping off to nappy brought it down despite him only wanting to be sit with dandad. Finally, a job I can actually do. He had recovered by home time but symptoms returned at night. Some fun blue on blue action which could be what happens when thieves fall out, people getting their retaliation/defence in first, the truth being stranger than fiction or honest people making mistakes with the best intentions. Can't help thinking Oakeshott harmed herself and the very r/w headbangers - trying to defend the indefensible. My MP seems to have garnered sympathy deserved or not. Whatever, it is good click bait and likely to increase sales of pop corn but probably not viewers for GB News or talk TV. Nice try guys :) Y'all have a good now, ya hear? Ye haaw.
Your right Ian, they wanted to treat me as a day case including travelling there and back on 3rd but Helen thought it would be too much at my age including co morbidities. So I asked the nurse practitioner for admission to contact her on the phone and the appointment was changed to later in March, when I could stay overnight.
D.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good morning everyone from a bright and sunny start here in the posh south. The further you explore into the hinterland of ‘The South’, the more you realise that all this poshness comes with a price. More traffic on roads and people who get worried if you give them a cheery “good morning” or God forbid, doff your cap. Art bit, more pre-prepared scratches. Have a smashing day if you can, I have koffy so will sit and slurp it.

View attachment 59653
It sounds as though you are enjoying yourself @dunelm...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all from a sunny but decidedly chilly again Little America. @gennepher thanks for sharing another wonderful sheep cunningly sheltering cats and also for revealing some of the antics of the teeming wildlife in your garden. @dunelm thanks for sharing your artistic gifts yet again. Enjoy your travels in the hinterland of a fairly atypical part of The South. My experience of The North and its natives suggests the fabled hospitality and friendliness is hugely exaggerated but YMMV - well, it obviously does. Or is that part of the ITK joke? Good and bad everywhere holds as true as ever. @SlimLizzy the optimistic rating is for Kiki seeming to recover, the planting and germinating - the miracle of new life in time for Easter? - and the fbg showing The D isn't the mistress of you. @lindisfel is tomorrow your long day at Freeman's or have I badly remembered? Whatever the date, thoughts and prayers with you, Marjorie and your girls. @Annb pain killer prescription collection day I hope. @RFSMarch good to see you again and enjoy the golf. Quite cheeky of your friend but hopefully after some more practice you will have the last word. Very poorly little grandson yesterday - at one stage his temperature hit 40 °C after a spectacular display of orally releasing his food :bigtears: - but the magic of Calpol, and stripping off to nappy brought it down despite him only wanting to be sit with dandad. Finally, a job I can actually do. He had recovered by home time but symptoms returned at night. Some fun blue on blue action which could be what happens when thieves fall out, people getting their retaliation/defence in first, the truth being stranger than fiction or honest people making mistakes with the best intentions. Can't help thinking Oakeshott harmed herself and the very r/w headbangers - trying to defend the indefensible. My MP seems to have garnered sympathy deserved or not. Whatever, it is good click bait and likely to increase sales of pop corn but probably not viewers for GB News or talk TV. Nice try guys :) Y'all have a good now, ya hear? Ye haaw.
Thank you @ianpspurs
:happy:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it goes something like this.

Brexit made importing more expensive & bureaucratic, so some importers backed out & delivered elsewhere with less hassle ..ergo fewer deliveries.

Our farmers getting squeezed on every front it seems
Energy crisis bills just the latest.

Many slowed down or just quit the heavy energy use until spring

Ergo less stock or back up.

It's a cold snap across Europe, every one wants what's available.

We just happen to be back of the queue, as it's seems food across Europe hasn't got the same issues as here....mmhh.

Ergo Eat Turnips, said the lady who clearly doesn't.

For my tuppence or 20 cenrs worth.

We're being lied to on such an industrial scale, I think George Orwell's estate should be suing the hell out of Johnson and the CONservative government for plagiarism & copyright infringements.

Btw, Victory to Oceania.
In case anyone's watching ..;)
On top of everything else, Neil tells me that Dutch lorry drivers are just refusing to drive loads to Britain because it wastes too much of their time, sitting in queues for days while the customs people struggle to cope with the amount of traffic. Fresh produce doesn't do too well in a 4 day queue.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope the little chap is better today. Visit to doctors maybe?