What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Lamont D .

Sure you'll spot it, but a post here where your expertise might be invaluable.

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Folks

Good to read your latest news. Just done my first task of the new growing season which is to make my seed germination mix. I have used a coir/vermiculite/worm castings mix recommended by Kim from California. Only made 2.5lt as it's a seed mix, not a potting mix. March 1st for sowing the first seeds.

Noon BG 7.2 mmol/lt.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
That's a shame. For a long time I have felt eating out in the UK always represents very poor value for money and is best avoided.
Here in Normandy we have had a few meals that were not as tasty as one would hope, but in the main, they are good value for the money. À few days ago we ate at a restaurant nearby. Chez Agnes, Lapenty. Huge open fireplace with enormous grill for cooking on. Def. USP.
Starters: decent size slice of the best homemade quiche Lorraine I have ever tasted with the obligitary lettuce leaf and dressing. One of us had tartifleche. He said it was very good.
Mains: I had rabbit leg which came (unusually) with vegetables and chips. Normally one or the other. Didnt eat the chips. Two of us had steak, the other had a chicken escalope.
We were all feeling a bit full so no cheese course for any of us. It would not have added to the cost.
Selection of desserts, two small ones on each plate.
Wine, water and coffee included.
The bill? Divided in half €37.45 each couple.
We will be eating there again.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.8

Wildlife nighttime video
A very busy badger.
56secs

Creative...
A kaleidoscope of the postcard I had received of the boy sitting by the book doorway. The second kaleidoscope makes the boy look like a wine glass, or a rose in a vase...
That's my offering for today.

Ready for a nap.

Researched solidly for hours, nothing new now to currently to find on this.
So I will l put it somewhere easily accessed for those who need it...
It is all very sad.

Anyway, nap now and a cuppa, and happy things for today.
A scented steam eye mask awaits me.
I have 27 post cards to register for Postcrossing that arrived the last 3 days.
And 5 snail mail envelopes that also arrived full of postcards from my penfriends to reply to....
The postie has delivered no mail to me for over 2 weeks, I am sure he saves them up until it is worth coming out to deliver letters and postcards...
And my email box is full...
Absolutely horrendous rain here.
Had to go out to get the recycle out.
Soaked.
Now under electric blanket and shawl...
I am not emerging again today, except if I see a lull in the rain, I will get my recycle bags back in. Otherwise they can go hang (someone will give them a home...a spare one is always welcomed), and I will have to order some new ones...I am not getting soaked again today, it takes me ages to warm up properly when I go out in this cold driving rain (even though I have a coat on...)...
Staying in warm comfort.
The living fur blanket is keeping me warm and cosy too...

Have your best day...

View attachment 66200
Lovely kaleidoscopes. Stay indoors - it’s under the blankets day!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all from L.A. where we are promised 17C and some light rain showers to cool us off. Bloods from yesterday tell me my (f) bg was 4.9 by 11 am ish after tea with almond milk. They snuck in an A1c which came in at a disappointing 39 but there are a few contributory factors including Christmas, some impending stressors next week, off Piste days/trials and family tummy bugs so meh.My plan may still be working better than some though my A1c is also in a shallow recession but intentionally. @dunelm thanks for sharing the art and if you go do enjoy Whitby. Besides watching cricket I've had a video call with two excited girls off to Peppa Pig world for a third birthday. Drip Trip today made easier as the easiest route is now open after the water main has been repaired - allegedly. Enjoy your own Fab Fursday.
Thank you @ianpspurs - the trip to Whitby was smashing. Shall sing “Home, Home on The Range” for that A1c reading. All the best as always with that drip trip.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you back @True Blue and we like to use vermiculite in our raised bed/veg trug mix. @SlimLizzy that sounds like a wonderful setting and meal. Should I have moved to France (Perigord Noir probably) ? I'll never know but nagging doubts persist from time to time. @gennepher glad you managed to get warm. Here's a piece from a longer poem (selected for Shrove Tuesday) that reminded me of you - the muddied kaleidoscope was an obvious link. I may share some of the poems which are my companions on my Camino this Lent if people don't object. It would be wonderful to have some actual companions - albeit virtual - on sections of my pilgrimage.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It is like that here in Central Norfolk. My sister has broken a tooth and cannot get an appointment with her private dentist until next Tuesday.
When I finally managed to get into a dentists client list , the earliest appointment they could offer was eight months away. When one of our ukranians had a serious tooth infection she had to wait three months for an urgent appointment.
We should all be encouraging our children and grandchildren to train as dentists, plumbers or electricians.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Good to see you back @True Blue and we like to use vermiculite in our raised bed/veg trug mix. @SlimLizzy that sounds like a wonderful setting and meal. Should I have moved to France (Perigord Noir probably) ? I'll never know but nagging doubts persist from time to time. @gennepher glad you managed to get warm. Here's a piece from a longer poem (selected for Shrove Tuesday) that reminded me of you - the muddied kaleidoscope was an obvious link. I may share some of the poems which are my companions on my Camino this Lent if people don't object. It would be wonderful to have some actual companions - albeit virtual - on sections of my pilgrimage.
Reading to Southampton fair old walk bit of a monumental task if intent of going the entire way to Santiago de Compostela.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading to Southampton fair old walk bit of a monumental task if intent of going the entire way to Santiago de Compostela.
I was thinking more of the figurative meaning:
1708014150139.png

not so much the attached which for many of us is fast receding into the distance. I do hope the BBC has a Pilgrimage series again this year. The co-opted version of this will soon hove into view - I prefer the original. Technically Bury St Edmunds would be my Mother Cathedral but I see Ely much more often and for over 60 years it was my Mother.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-15 16.23.42.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-15 16.23.42.png
    106.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
With the total lack of sleep last night, FBG is meaningless. Anyway, BG is erratic just now - maybe something to do with the antibiotics. They always upset my system but it's better to put up with that than just ignore infections.

Since I am cold, tired and hungry, the breakfast I had much earlier today, has disappeared from my memory and from my stomach's memory (or so it keeps telling me), so 2 meals today. Will have to start making it pretty soon. :greedy:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good morning. I now find myself in a position that I can share with you my experiences for the past 2 1/2 weeks. We received a call from mum's nursing home at 6AM to say they'd called for an emergency ambulance as mum's vital signs were all over the place and she was really poorly. We rushed to A&E and met the ambulance there. We spent a while in the ambulance with mum while they did an ECG etc. A cardiologist came to the ambulance to ask for a more detailed ECG as mum's heart was so bad.They rushed her straight through to majors and carried out tests. The cardiologist said mum had a heart block and her heart would not beat above 40. She also told us that she had never seen infection indicators so high but a scan had shown her chest to be clear. They moved her to an assessment ward and then to an elderly care ward where they administered intravenous antibiotics and a fluid drip for several days. As she was not eating/ drinking we were asked to be with her at each meal time to encourage her and increase her fluid intake. So we have been at the hospital every day since assisting her and reassuring her. On Monday I was told that mum had not responded to treatment so was now on palliative care. Today it was planned to transfer mum back to her nursing home for palliative care subject to the doctor's checks and I asked to accompany her in the ambulance. Yesterday she took a turn for the worse, suffered a great deal which was torturous to witness and only when she settled to sleep I was persuaded to go home to rest as I was exhausted and needed to be fit enough to be with mum today. Soon after we reached home we got a call saying mum was taking her last breaths! We dashed back to mum's ward just too late. My mind is all over the place this morning and we are truly devastated and exhausted. Sorry but I needed to off -load my mind so that I can deal with what is yet to come. Thanks for "listening". My best wishes to you all as always.
So upsetting for you all. Sympathy and hugs . You have done all that you could , of course you are distressed and exhausted, so be gentle with yourself and each other while you adapt to a different reality.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tried to do the baked beans once, no chance!
As I have .mentioned a 1000 piece star trek jigsaw took me weeks. The back ground of space blackness was tricky to say the least. It's been up mounted on the wall for quite some time now!
The hardest was a 1000 piece of Waterloo station, divided in two from different times. The hundreds of figures and indoor shades, with the roof of many, many shapes. I had to use a magnifying glass.figures so tiny!
Here is one I made earlier last week. I did complete it, but photo was taken in WhatsApp and didn't save.
IMG-20240120-WA0000.jpeg

And another one from last week

Attachments

• 20240209_224627.jpg
    20240209_224627.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
So upsetting for you all. Sympathy and hugs . You have done all that you could , of course you are distressed and exhausted, so be gentle with yourself and each other while you adapt to a different reality.
Thank you@SlimLizzy for your kind words.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
With the total lack of sleep last night, FBG is meaningless. Anyway, BG is erratic just now - maybe something to do with the antibiotics. They always upset my system but it's better to put up with that than just ignore infections.

Since I am cold, tired and hungry, the breakfast I had much earlier today, has disappeared from my memory and from my stomach's memory (or so it keeps telling me), so 2 meals today. Will have to start making it pretty soon. :greedy:
I didn't make any more food. I sat in the chair and fell asleep (under a sweater, a knitted poncho and a blanket) and by the time I woke up it was too late to cook and I was full of pain (must have done too much exercise), so I just had a cup of coffee or 2. BG sitting at 5.2 all afternoon.

Not sure whether these classes are doing me any good. Kirsty always says not to do any more than we feel comfortable with, but I do feel comfortable at the time - it's the following hours and days that are the trouble.