What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 for me this morning.

Today is Canadian Thanksgiving (my first since my diagnosis) and I'm having dinner tonight at my mother-in-law's. I'll be able to have turkey & salad and I'm bringing green beans and a diabetic friendly (keto) Pumpkin Pie loaf for dessert.

It's this recipe. https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/easy-pumpkin-quick-bread-low-carb-and-gluten-free/
When I tested it last week, my nondiabetic husband ate 4 pieces after I sliced it.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 for me this morning.

Today is Canadian Thanksgiving (my first since my diagnosis) and I'm having dinner tonight at my mother-in-law's. I'll be able to have turkey & salad and I'm bringing green beans and a diabetic friendly (keto) Pumpkin Pie loaf for dessert.

It's this recipe. https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/easy-pumpkin-quick-bread-low-carb-and-gluten-free/
When I tested it last week, my nondiabetic husband ate 4 pieces after I sliced it.
Have a great Thanksgiving @Chronicle_Cat. Are the origins of Canadian Thanksgiving similar to those of your noisy neighbours?

Reactions: Freema

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Have a great Thanksgiving @Chronicle_Cat. Are the origins of Canadian Thanksgiving similar to those of your noisy neighbours?

The very first Thanksgiving celebration in North America took place in 1578 in Canada by Martin Frobisher, an explorer from England. in search of the Northwest Passage 43 years before the pilgrims landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts!

He was giving thanks for his safe arrival .

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
feels like a Fulham and Pep kinda day to me:angelic:

Sure was a good Fulham v Arsenal day. And sure you weren’t referring to Guardiola.

@Goonergal pleased you managed a later start - enjoy Kew will be lovely with this weather and the autumnal colours.

Abandoned Kew in the end. Felt like some exercise and although would do a lot of walking, photo taking would have made it very stop start.

Instead joined the Regents Canal at the point @Debandez and I left it on Friday and walked several miles along that.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.4 Sunday morning. I slept better last night, until cat woke me wanting breakfast. I was just glad she was feeling well enough to be hungry! I feel better too, now I get to enjoy a rest-day instead of suffering through one.
Now I am enjoying a second cup of coffee while she is enjoying a second breakfast.

What kind of steam engines, David? My father loved steam locomotives, and one Sunday morning I got up early to film one coming through the town near my parents' house for him while they were at church. About this time of year, too; it was an Autumn Leaf excursion train that took tourists up into the mountains for the day. He and I had been to see it on Saturday but I didn't get a good video that day so went back on Sunday. Good memory. :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 for me this morning.

Sounds good Happy thanksgiving day

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya All,
I was very stupid last night after my friend left. :mad:The whole day i had really good control but i tucked into the stuffed peppers and brown rice again, took no additional insulin. This morning i had 10.1 but everything is good now.:happy:
its allowed enzina :)

Reactions: millenium

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Here's some about Canadian Thanksgiving :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(Canada)

It hasn't been to commemorate a specific date as a historical celebration (the way the American Thanksgiving is tied to the arrival of the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock). I had not heard about Martin Frobisher until recently (even though we studied him as an explorer in grade 5). I think Canadian thanksgiving was influenced by the tradition by Harvest celebrations in English and French Canada both. (The arrival of the United Empire Loyalists - Americans loyal to the British crown who came here after the American revolution) also had an influence.)

It is now celebrated earlier than the American one. Ours is the first Sunday in October, theirs is late November. In eastern Canada, it is usually at the peak of the beautiful autumn colours (like the sugar maple in my avatar.)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here's some about Canadian Thanksgiving :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(Canada)

It hasn't been to commemorate a specific date as a historical celebration (the way the American Thanksgiving is tied to the arrival of the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock). I had not heard about Martin Frobisher until recently (even though we studied him as an explorer in grade 5). I think Canadian thanksgiving was influenced by the tradition by Harvest celebrations in English and French Canada both. (The arrival of the United Empire Loyalists - Americans loyal to the British crown who came here after the American revolution) also had an influence.)

It is now celebrated earlier than the American one. Ours is the first Sunday in October, theirs is late November. In eastern Canada, it is usually at the peak of the beautiful autumn colours (like the sugar maple in my avatar.)

I think you're right about the Harvest festivals in England. I started reading about them in Miss Read's village novels, and I started wondering then if the first American Thanksgiving was the Pilgrims continuing the Harvest Festival tradition they had known back in England. In America kids are taught it almost as if it were an invention of the Pilgrims, a first, but like you I think it's the Harvest Festival given a new name. Especially since at Thanksgiving church services here we sing Harvest hymns that are also in the C of E hymnal; and since the Pilgrims held their Thanksgiving feast in November, after the harvest, and not in the spring after surviving their first New England winter.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you're right about the Harvest festivals in England. I started reading about them in Miss Read's village novels, and I started wondering then if the first American Thanksgiving was the Pilgrims continuing the Harvest Festival tradition they had known back in England. In America kids are taught it almost as if it were an invention of the Pilgrims, a first, but like you I think it's the Harvest Festival given a new name. Especially since at Thanksgiving church services here we sing Harvest hymns that are also in the C of E hymnal; and since the Pilgrims held their Thanksgiving feast in November, after the harvest, and not in the spring after surviving their first New England winter.
That explanation was also given by our Prof when I was at Uni

Reactions: millenium

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I agree. I was brought up in the Anglican Church (Church of England) and Thanksgiving services are often referred to as "Harvest Thanksgiving" and the bounty of the harvest is emphasized at the services. I(Like the American Episcopal church many of the hymns sung here are also in the Church of England's hymnal.)

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Hi all 4.7 was my BG today I had super noodles for lunch today but they are now officially banned as they shot my sugars from 7.4 to 15.4 at lowest I had two units after I ate them but it wasn’t enough my blood sugars went into the 17s 18s 19s and 20s so even though I wasn’t feeling well I went for a walk and came to 15.4 gave 2 more units and eventually came back to 8.5 #CarbsAreEvil

Last edited: