What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Help anyone....what should I do? 7.3 at 0800. Only cup of tea consumed very little milk in. Now its 8.5 at 11.30. Should I try and fast or eat something?
Personally as one cup of tea hardly constitutes breaking your fast and sugars are still rising I would suspect DP and eat something then test again after a suitable period. Others may disagree with me but to be honest it is what I would do.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Help anyone....what should I do? 7.3 at 0800. Only cup of tea consumed very little milk in. Now its 8.5 at 11.30. Should I try and fast or eat something?

Hello, I'm far from an expert in this diabetes malarkey and I don't know your personal circumstances with regard to diabetes, we are chemically different.

Now as much as I think this thread is brilliant and it has helped me enormously I do feel it easy to get mislead into the low blood sugar competition. Talk to a diabetic consultant and my guess is he would say anything below 10 is ok.
I personally would ignore readings at this level and get on with day to day life, if after a week or so of readings at this level I would look at my diet and possibly start a food record,.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
best wishes @Emma_369. for your Bllod check up..sure to be a good un.

Love to all those suffering the randomness of the DD (Despicable Diabetes)..hope for a swift recovery to more satisfying numbers.

can report mine as 5.5, so slightly bucking the trend..(soz)

Coming around to Poached eggs being my favourite eggs.
before i hated them as i just could not get them right, BUT the lovely lady a JJ Towers,
Knows me only too well,
and Bought some 'Poachies' a while back from Co-oP.

"Why do i Need THEM..shan't be using THEM" some lunatic scoffed, when presented with them..
Ok, ok..i actually i said "that's nice, Cheers Love"..
but in my head it deffo went down more like the above

sat on the side for ages, until i started using them one day.

Now some may Poo-poo the mere existence of such an item, but for a Klutz in the kitchen like me they are GOLD.

Ya all have a good day, dry and bright down here, hope it's similar wherever your day takes you.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
best wishes @Emma_369. for your Bllod check up..sure to be a good un.

Love to all those suffering the randomness of the DD (Despicable Diabetes)..hope for a swift recovery to more satisfying numbers.

can report mine as 5.5, so slightly bucking the trend..(soz)

Coming around to Poached eggs being my favourite eggs.
before i hated them as i just could not get them right, BUT the lovely lady a JJ Towers, Knows me too well,
Bought some 'Poachies' a while back from Co-oP.
"Why do i Need THEM..shan't be using THEM" some lunatic scoffed, when presented with them..
Ok, ok..i actually i said "that's nice, Cheers Love"..but in my head it deffo went more like the above

Now some may Poo-poo the mere existence of such an item, but for a Klutz in the kitchen like me they are GOLD.

Ya all have a good day, dry and bright down here, hope it's similar wherever your day takes you.
Poached eggs are ****, jolly spiffing - (especially the whoppers our chickens lay). Love me a poached egg on top of smoked salmon and smashed avocado. #makepoachiesnotwar:angelic:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
8.8 this morning. trying hard to stick on Blood sugar diet. 600 cal day testerday, 7 mile walk, no meds.
Hi @L.Babb. Not sure cals are as helpful to monitor as carbs - "not all calories are created equal" as they say. 7 mile walk and 600 cals would shout out stress to me and probably your body which seems to have given a protective dump ready for the same again.
@PenguinMum probably take on board some healthy, fat loaded food and test - but what do I know?

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @shelley262 @ziggy_w & @jjraak for your well wishes. Blood successively given after a 10minute discussion about why I didn’t attend the DESMOND course - nurse was quite shocked to realise it would have involved me booking a day off work as it’s a day course and to take packed lunch. She thought it was a brief half hour chat?! I do despair that they refer patients with no clue as to what they are referring them to. I quite confidently told her I’ve found all I need on here and am sure that DESMOND wouldn’t have had much more to add!
More importantly, my fast is finally over (as she was taking bloods for cholesterol too I chose to fast) I have never wanted a cup of tea more!!!! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and SaskiaKC

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Poached eggs are ****, jolly spiffing

Agree ian, though not a fan of salmon, OR fish Yuk....but the avocado..YUM.
(who knew i could be quite SO sophisticated in my food choices hahaha )

today...2 poached eggs, grilled bacon (2) one large grilled tomato..(yes i will watch that )
and a few spoons of yesterday's reduced fat/salt/ baked beans..( i need that sort of juicyness for my breakfast..aagghh )

And i am now FULL..so full in fact that the sneaky Ryvita i snaffled into the mix..
(sshhh, others will hear you !!)
is almost 1/5 th left..

I can't go COLD TURKEY...(Horror face)...BUT maybe that's the start of my Bread/Cracker detox.

Anyone point me to a decent BA site...(Bread Anonymous) not ready to attend any meetings, but think i'm ready for a bit of counselling..

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Alf, thanks Ian.
At 12.00 I ate a H&H flaxseed roll cut into 5 pieces and plastered in butter. At 13.15 bg is 7.2 so down 1.3. Tbh I think my body rhythm is out of synch because of two awful night sailings in 3 days (5 hours + 4 hours). I dont think it knows when to push out the dawn glucose atm. I hope it will settle but if not will have to cancel my 6 month HBA1c test next Monday.

Reactions: Freema

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Alf, thanks Ian.
At 12.00 I ate a H&H flaxseed roll cut into 5 pieces and plastered in butter. At 13.15 bg is 7.2 so down 1.3. Tbh I think my body rhythm is out of synch because of two awful night sailings in 3 days (5 hours + 4 hours). I dont think it knows when to push out the dawn glucose atm. I hope it will settle but if not will have to cancel my 6 month HBA1c test next Monday.
Fingers crossed it settles quickly for you!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
10minute discussion about why I didn’t attend the DESMOND ...as it’s a day course
....found all my need on here and am sure that DESMOND wouldn’t have had much more to add!

Mine was a 2 x 4 hour session..more then enough, and if i am honest apart from me being a numpty and Carbs illiterate, i didn't really learn any more then i already knew from my scavenging the web.

Though the meeting like affected others was nice, it put me in a not so lonely place.
but none, as far as i know, ( and i had most snap the forum address and my log in name,) have joined, sadly..

I agree 100% with your statement about here.

As like you, i honestly feel at home, and almost at peace with the situation now,
thanks to all the marvelous, beautiful people on here prepared to give of their time and experiences to help others,
be it in a joke and a bit of banter to get you over a the grey start to some days or to throw out a massive virtual hug, when things are a little tougher...Love them all XXX.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak Yes I think the letter was to arrive at 10am, bring a packed lunch as there would be a break and expect to be finished by 3pm at latest. So not a full day, but would have needed that full day off work. I’d already spent 2 weeks on here reading prior to the appointment coming through and felt that I could afford to miss out on the wealth of info I’m sure i was going to receive. This forum is my giant comfort blanket. People who understand, empathise, sympathise and also those who will give you a good kick up the behind when you need it. I’m only at the start of my journey but know I’m going to be on here throughout, hopefully one day being one of those success stories that can dish out advice! :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This forum is my giant comfort blanket. People who understand, empathise, sympathise and also those who will give you a good kick up the behind when you need it. I’m only at the start of my journey but know I’m going to be on here throughout, hopefully one day being one of those success stories that can dish out advice! :)

How nicely put.
And my goal as well :D..., hopefully see you at the journeys end...:happy:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quote for today
FB_IMG_1544025754604.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.5 Tuesday morning. Sunny here, finally! After 3 days of mists and rain. I will be going out later this morning to enjoy the sunshine and also pick up my refill of test strips that came in yesterday.

@Emma_369 , your post was the first one I saw when I checked in here this morning. It gave me a nice lift. I'm glad you're doing so well. :)

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

5.4 for me this morning. That's at the top of my target zone (4.0 - 5.4) so today will be a fasting day for me.

@Emma_369 I refused to go to diabetes "education" (our equivalent of DESMOND). My best friend went when she was diagnosed 2 years ago. She tried their "plate method" for a year but could not get her hba1c below down below 97 (11%) despite being on 3 meds. She finally heard about low carb, started eating that way and started low carb. She was able to come off meds and her last hba1c was 31 (5.0%). She also told me that she was given a pamphlet sponsored by the Canadian Wheat Marketing Board!! I started eating low carb after diagnosis because of her experiences. The doctor told the nurse that it was unnecessary for me to go to diabetes education because there was nothing they could teach me (my hba1c had dropped from 7.0% to 5.6% in 3 months without meds by then.)

@Jim Lahey I smile every time I see your avatar. I didn't know Trailer Park Boys aired in the UK, it's a real Canadian institution. Unfortunately the actor in your avatar who played Leahy, John Dunsworth passed away last October at age 71. :(

A friend on a Canadian group for diet support for Type 2 diabetes is writing a book about low carb eating and looking for people's stories who have been able to reverse/put into remission/control their diabetes with low carb. She asked me to post this.

Attachments

• sharon book.jpg
    sharon book.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 175
Last edited: