What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Enjoy your holiday @jjraak! Whereabouts in Goa will you be based? Both sides of my parents' families are from North Goa, but I like South Goa for holidays, it's more laid back and quieter.

And you don't need tomato ketchup on Goan food - except maybe some spicy tomato sauce to dip pakoras in!

Last edited:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Question time. :)
Does anyone else who regularly has higher BGL in the morning eg 8+ find that by having a small protein snack, like a handful of almonds, at bedtime can drop your morning BGL?
Last night I was 6.9 ate some almonds and woke at 3.8 plus a foul headache. I'm on a pump so no change in basal insulin.
I'm trying to figure if this is just me or if others have noticed this effect.
Thanks for your feedback.
Some of the forum members do say that a small protein snack like a bit of cheese or some nuts does block Dawn Phenomenon.
I do usually have a bit of cheese before bedtime, but I can't say if it lowers my fbg or not.

Reactions: ziggy_w

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Enjoy your holiday @jjraak! Whereabouts in Goa will you be based? Both sides of my parents' families are from North Goa, but I like South Goa for holidays, it's more laid back and quieter.

And you don't need tomato ketchup on Goan food!

Hi @Prem51
We stop in an old Portuguese mansion House, just off titos lane , baga..not far from calangute..

We scooter up north and do anjuna, arombol, seohlim, ashvim, then plan to cross into Maharastra state.

Then back to baga regroup.

Then south to benailim, paolem, patnim, and then maybe OM beach.

Roads as you know are sh**e, so we gratefully accept the guidance and divinity of Ganesh on all our journeys.

And while here I can approach most speed limits on the Suzuki (;))

There, Lauren of Arabia IS precious cargo, so we meander and dawdle, and stop where the whim takes us.

We Smell the the coffee, admire the scenery, and after all, when you don't where you going, any road gets you there...

especially when the road is the one less travelled :)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

was 5.0 yesterday and 4.8 today

it's a seriously soggy looking morning here currently, it's quite mild but lashing down with rain, so I'm glad we got a bit of strimming done yesterday ;) also took a good whack at a rose bush, it's one of those very prickly types the council uses which self seeded next to the fence and I'm keeping an eye on it because it looks like it might be a 'runner' :(
If it starts to get aggressive, out it comes ;) not that we have a tidy garden, we don't, but we have plenty of prickly things already what with the sea buckthorn bush and the thistles :hilarious:

Hope your day treats you kindly :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gutted for you @Debandez .

Seems you can lead a horse to water . :rolleyes:

Worked with guy yesterday,..a little chat. He's been T2D a number of years .thought we'd have something in common.

Starts telling me he's on insulin many years so all good..I tell him my story .Not really interested..no biggee getting used to that

But then starts telling me how good the insulin is, as he just loves sweets so much .:wideyed:

Then tells me I can ask docs for glucose sweets in case I get a hyper/hypo. Not sure which he meant

Lovely fella, but I'm trying my hardest to avoid any more meds
I started about how I now eat better, but the glazed look told me I'd be wasting my time.

However I did take Kudos from when being asked if I wanted chips, I said I can't, I'm pretty strict about what I eat . :woot:
No that I'm not, but that those words fell from MY lips.:***:

Maybe I'm turning into a food snob, but it felt right AND it felt good :D

Good luck with your next semester of new diabetics.:)

@jjraak to be totally honest I'm not surprised. Did I really think sharing my journey about reducing my hba1c to non diabetic levels in a relatively short time, losing 4 stone into the bargain and eliminating my symptoms would encourage them to make the changes to do the same? No. These are lovely people. Salt of the earth. They have been diabetic for many years. Eating whatever they like and taking the required meds alongside. Some are now on insulin. They do seem accepting of their health and content to continue taking the meds. Their DNs will no doubt be saying they are doing well even though its progressing! The difference is I am relatively new to this. Internet savie. Hungry to learn about the condition and eager to reverse symptoms and control bs without meds for as long as possible, hopefully all my life. I never take what I hear as definite. I've always done my own research. They have asked me to do a talk for them. Very happy to. It might just stir something in one person. And that will be worth it.

My surgery have asked me to do something for diabetes week (1st to 7th April) in house!!! I'm excited about that. Keep chip chip chipping. I've going to annual PPG event today. Hoping to network and do my thing. Will be posting results. It's an all day event so hopefully a few opportunities.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sounds great @jjraak. My father's family are from Calangute, and a cousin still lives in the old family Portuguese house there. It's right along the beach and has a big garden. It would be worth a lot now, but would be knocked down and redeveloped for condos or a hotel if sold.
The first time I went to Goa, about 30 years ago, I stayed in Calangute. It was undeveloped then with only a couple of small hotels near the beach, but has got increasingly 'touristy' with more and more hotels being built. South Goa is less developed which is why I prefer it now. The beach there is over 20 miles long and I can walk along it for hours without seeing hardly anyone.
The traffic in towns is bad, but in the countryside it's quieter, but personally I wouldn't risk riding a bike there.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HAHAHA..... Finally....First on the Grid of Greatness :D

At airport...silly o'Clock....FBG 5.8.

Shock at the earliness of the day seems to have confounded my dastardly enemy El Liver ..who was throwing out 6's last week,
like one of those Kung Fu ninjas.

Fully prepared for some interesting battles up in the '' FOOD ZONE" Combat arena on this year's adventure.

The rules of any 'R & R'..have Been fully briefed to me, by the lovely Lauren of Arabia..

Food where permitted, will be permitted.
Alcohol where permitted, will be permitted.

Tomato sauce on ANYTHING will involve a SHOUTING penalty.

Shirt off on beach acceptable.
Shirt off while riding scooter through villages n towns.. NOT Acceptable.

Enjoying the "Quiet" silences between us will be deemed Rude,
and carries a much misunderstood painful and miserable punishment for any self respecting Husband, worthy of the name,
of an hour or TWO
( :) ;)) of The old silent routine..:D

Rules explained, T & C's accepted.

Let the 2019 HUNGER GAMES,
Commence..:watching:

Do you have rules for the lovely Lauren to abide by. I'm sure it's a 2 way road you are travelling. You can make things swing more your way with a decent set of come backs ;-)

Happy hols. Enjoy.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HAHAHA..... Finally....First on the Grid of Greatness :D

At airport...silly o'Clock....FBG 5.8.

Shock at the earliness of the day seems to have confounded my dastardly enemy El Liver ..who was throwing out 6's last week,
like one of those Kung Fu ninjas.

Fully prepared for some interesting battles up in the '' FOOD ZONE" Combat arena on this year's adventure.

The rules of any 'R & R'..have Been fully briefed to me, by the lovely Lauren of Arabia..

Food where permitted, will be permitted.
Alcohol where permitted, will be permitted.

Tomato sauce on ANYTHING will involve a SHOUTING penalty.

Shirt off on beach acceptable.
Shirt off while riding scooter through villages n towns.. NOT Acceptable.

Enjoying the "Quiet" silences between us will be deemed Rude,
and carries a much misunderstood painful and miserable punishment for any self respecting Husband, worthy of the name,
of an hour or TWO
( :) ;)) of The old silent routine..:D

Rules explained, T & C's accepted.

Let the 2019 HUNGER GAMES,
Commence..:watching:
Have a fabulous holiday jjraak

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had my monthly diabetic meeting today. Talk about feeling gutted. Plates of biscuits greeted me. These are some of the people who attended my first reversing diabetes talk. Fighting a lost cause!!!! Won't give up.
@Debandez Perhaps you should make some low carb biscuits ( I recommend @ewelina's peanut butter cookies) to take along to next meeting, and confiscate the biscuits provided. :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 this morning

@jjraak that sounds so exciting and exhilarating. You two sound like a couple of teenagers. How long are you away for?

@Debandez I’m glad you’re not despondent about your experiences falling on deaf ears. I find it remarkable that so many really don’t seem to want to do anything to help their own health.

Edit for typo

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning from a sunny Northumberland. A 5.5 on the wheel of buffoonery and laughter at 0645.
A pleasant 6 mile walk along the coast yesterday afternoon. A walk up to Bamburgh today, about 9 miles, with plans to sample a crab salad in The Potted Lobster.
Have an exciting holiday @jjraak, pictures on a postcard.
Have a great day everyone if you can.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have rules for the lovely Lauren to abide by. I'm sure it's a 2 way road you are travelling. You can make things swing more your way with a decent set of come backs ;-)

Happy hols. Enjoy.

You recently married @Debandez ..??:wideyed:

Not sure you FULLY understand the Rules from the Gentleman's side :***:

Us Gents are ALWAYS wrong
Wives are always right, So no rules required. Obviously ;)

But I'm the relaxed, chilled out partner..so I go happily with the flow

And madam rarely gets it too wrong..and when she has..:woot:

we laugh at our predicament, make the most of the moment and usually still have a great time..:)

Btw, just to be clear, Not too sure it's the kind of "swinging" holiday you seem to think it is...:wideyed:

;):D

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all a 4.1 greeted me this morning, had a bad hypo at 01:30 and am suffering today. It seems that the unpredictable nature of my diabetes is going to be a BIG pain in the bum for the next few weeks!! Ahh well lets see where it takes me, anyone for going down the rabbit hole???

Take care everyone.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all a 4.1 greeted me this morning, had a bad hypo at 01:30 and am suffering today. It seems that the unpredictable nature of my diabetes is going to be a BIG pain in the bum for the next few weeks!! Ahh well lets see where it takes me, anyone for going down the rabbit hole???

Take care everyone.
Hugs for hypo john

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You recently married @Debandez ..??:wideyed:

Not sure you FULLY understand the Rules from the Gentleman's side :***:

Us Gents are ALWAYS wrong
Wives are always right, So no rules required. Obviously ;)

But I'm the relaxed, chilled out partner..so I go happily with the flow

And madam rarely gets it too wrong..and when she has..:woot:

we laugh at our predicament, make the most of the moment and usually still have a great time..:)

Btw, just to be clear, Not too sure it's the kind of "swinging" holiday you seem to think it is...:wideyed:

;):D

Yes quite recent @jjraak, only 32 years! On our wedding day I surprised him with my own set of rules and they have worked a treat (for me). For info:

http://changingminds.org/blog/1507blog/170726blog.htm

Note that swinging wasnt included. Not in the main body of the text (pun intended) but can be found in the small print ;-)