What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I ride a bIggish bike in London ( :watching: )
I've got used to ' rationalising ' ACCEPTABLE Risks.
As a biker I would have thought you would hire a Royal Enfield rather than a scooter!
As long as you are aware of risks things are usually ok. I've never had any problems travelling abroad either.
You shouldn't be in danger of malaria at this time of year, it's too hot and dry for mosquitoes now.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And in terms of holiday dangers..
(As it's NOT LCHF, I don't think it goes in "what did you eat today"..but unsure.:writer:

Over all the plane crashes, snakes, dogs, car crashes..the MOST deadly thing I had today was this...( .. .drum roll )

(CAUTION.
Scenes of a Distressing Nature.

for those with a sweet tooth.)

chocolate thali la plage~01.jpg

Beautiful french restaurant.
Beef carpaccio..so 2 courses, one vodka, one freshly squeezed juice, and one large chocolate Thali...£33

8 different chocolate dishes to die for plus one double cream to add as required.

Missus ordered for both of us ..(yes I'm weak..I know :bigtears: )

Two spoons, too happy eaters,
And a 7.6.. 2 hours later...I'll take that :D

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And in terms of holiday dangers..
(As it's NOT LCHF, I don't think it goes in "what did you eat today"..but unsure.:writer:

Over all the plane crashes, snakes, dogs, car crashes..the MOST deadly thing I had today was this...( .. .drum roll )

(CAUTION.
Scenes of a Distressing Nature.

for those with a sweet tooth.)

View attachment 32038

Beautiful french restaurant.
Beef carpaccio..so 2 courses, one vodka, one freshly squeezed juice, and one large chocolate Thali...£33

9 different chocolate dishes to due for plus one double cream to add as required.

Missus ordered for both of us ..(yes I'm weak..I know :bigtears: )

Two spoons, too happy eaters,
And a 7.6.. 2 hours later...I'll take that :D

I very rarely eat raw meat. ;)

Reactions: HarryBeau

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a biker I would have thought you would hire a Royal Enfield rather than a scooter!
As long as you are aware of risks things are usually ok. I've never had any problems travelling abroad either.
You shouldn't be in danger of malaria at this time of year, it's too hot and dry for mosquitoes now.
Agree fully @Prem51

Your advise was wise, and just as you practice , due diligence gets the best results.

As for bikes, my travel insurance covers a 125 and a scooter serves all our needs.
Slow n steady, smell the coffee, blah, blah.

(Besides If I want a ton plus.the Suzi awaits my return .lol...* just kidding officers ;) )

Enfield nice idea, but when I consider how some drive...:***:

Cheers @Prem51.
Take care fella

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I've never had any problems traveling abroad either. But I could have gotten killed once when I took 1 carrot into a field of 5 horses! Please be careful of cows, @jjraak and Lauren of Arabian Sea! Want y'all to keep raaking on forever. :)

Reactions: ianpspurs

heavyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bleaching of skin and lies
Good morning all. Off to the blood tests in a minute. Fasting levels were 4.8 today, now half an hour later 4.5.

@Bubbsie and @Caeseji -- Very grateful for your support. It means a lot. @Bubbsie -- Sorry for the cold, hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself.
@heavyd -- Good to see you back. We've been missing you.
@Dawnmc71 -- Have you had a look at dawn phenomenon? While we are still insulin resistant, we often still have higher blood sugars when waking up. (For me, it took about half a year of low carbing till fasting levels normalized.) The reason for dawn phenomenon is that the body releases a couple of hormones (including adrenalin, epinephrin) to get us ready and going and insulin to counterbalance them. However, as long as we are still insulin resistant, the body doesn't perfectly respond to the insulin yet. If you stick with this way of eating, insulin resistance should start improving too.
Thanks

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 yesterday
5.8 today
mad few days, sooooooo much going on, only just able to catch up with forum now and so many messages to read!!! Good to read everyone's daily run downs. Loving your holiday @jjraak - enjoying it with you without the expense! Lots of hugs given, likes, funnies etc but no time for many replies sadly.

My recently diagnosed T2d BIL is having a few issues. the main one being cramps in his right leg that comes and goes. Phoned Dr today as it isn't going away, told to stop metformin while they check for lactic acidosis. Went to walk in centre only to be told cant be done there so has to be hospital, so tomorrow it is. Fingers crossed everything is ok. He is having problems with his eyes and ears poor fellow. Booked him in with chiropodist tomorrow as feet not the best too so basically a full MOT. On a lighter note his BS readings are coming down nicely. Started in the 18 range but todays reading was 10 so Im very happy with that. He isn't making brilliant choices with food but I'm trying to coax him. He has special needs so it is proving more difficult than I had hoped. He won't give up bread but is eating low carb so a step in the right direction. Pasta and rice is still on the menu but Im working on that......potatoes won't ever go I don't think. But you never know.

Haven't had time to recap on the annual PPG conference but hoping to do so very soon, it was a great day.

My big news is that ITV (local) want to film me at my next presentation (fingers crossed its recorded and not live!!!)! My surgery have been amazing. So supportive. It's Diabetes Prevention Week 1st to 7th April and they want me to do an in house talk to senior members of staff!!!! GULP!!!!! I'm trying to coordinate ITV filming with this but may not have enough time. I will be singing the praises of DCUK and it's wonderful forum members, so very many who have put their diabetes into remission, so very many who help others do the very same, spending hours giving out invaluable info. I will be singing the praises of LCHF. Testing kits will be at the top of my talk, they need to be given to not onbly all diabetics but pre diabetics too, how else can they see how food is effecting their BS! Carbs will be outlawed. Healthy fats will be spoken about lovingly. I will be including my 'meds only mop up the sugar/glucose, they dont stop the leak' bit. Explains it so well I feel.

Anyway I'm off to bed, early night. Got another busy day tomorrow. Night folks. Sleep well.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Veronica Wright .

Welcome to the thread...:)

Not on insulin myself, so can't say re that, but I've found stress raised my Bag's.

Exercise as I far as I know, makes some difference, but not as much as the diet does.

Sounds like you have a good handle on the food front.

Assuming by scores, your states.?

Sure others more knowledgeable will give better comments.

Thank you, happy to be here! Yup, from the states - different scoring system. Looking forward to learning a lot here and apparently smiling, too - great senses of humor and lovely friendly people!

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Thank you all for the kind messages of support ahead of my big run along the canals yesterday.
I started the day with a 5.9 which was nice.
Then I made my way to the finish line, to catch a bus that took me to the start line in Manchester. I then ran back the 50km (31m) to the finish. It was enjoyable for the first 3 hours, then brutal for the next 2. I finished in 5 hours, 4 minutes, 49 seconds - not bad for my first ultra-marathon. 51st place out of 194 which included a lot of seasoned ultra marathon runners.
This was unthinkable a year ago. I've spent the last 24 hours dealing with thanking everyone for their support. I'm absolutely elated. Sore, tired, chafed and tender. But elated.
Of course I don't look like a goldfish...but I'm wearing orange and smiling so you can trust that it's me.
Twitter users, feel free to find and share my post.
Normal forum service will resume - sorry I've been quiet. Training was brutal for this and I had to make a few time sacrifices.

Attachments

• image1.png
    image1.png
    520.6 KB · Views: 226

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for the kind messages of support ahead of my big run along the canals yesterday.
I started the day with a 5.9 which was nice.
Then I made my way to the finish line, to catch a bus that took me to the start line in Manchester. I then ran back the 50km (31m) to the finish. It was enjoyable for the first 3 hours, then brutal for the next 2. I finished in 5 hours, 4 minutes, 49 seconds - not bad for my first ultra-marathon. 51st place out of 194 which included a lot of seasoned ultra marathon runners.
This was unthinkable a year ago. I've spent the last 24 hours dealing with thanking everyone for their support. I'm absolutely elated. Sore, tired, chafed and tender. But elated.
Of course I don't look like a goldfish...but I'm wearing orange and smiling so you can trust that it's me.
Twitter users, feel free to find and share my post.
Normal forum service will resume - sorry I've been quiet. Training was brutal for this and I had to make a few time sacrifices.
Now where is that golden buzzer!!! Well done on your amazing achievement. What a great result. Fantastic cause, one very dear to my heart.

Reactions: Prem51