What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.2 this morning.
Yesterday was strange. Fasting until lunchtime saw a drop to 3.4. I didn’t like the feeling shaky and disorientation. Perhaps fasting not a good idea for me. Took several hours to get up to amore comfortable 5. As we don’t keep high carb foods in it was a struggle to find something to bring level up. In the end iteas a spoonful of jam that was a gift for someone else that rescued me. If that was a hypo, then I don’t like it, never experienced that before.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp I am so sorry to hear that you had to go through that. Just shows how different bodies react to different stress levels and conditions.

Are you on any medication? I have read a number of times that it is highly unlike for a type 2 to go hypo without medication and based on my own experience I am inclined to believe that.

Have you by any chance measured your ketone level at that time? I only ask because you mention in your signature that you follow LCHF and Keto. Although the reading of 3.4 is quite low indeed but if you are in ketosis that should in theory not give the symptoms you experienced so the fact that you did would indicate you were not in ketosis and brain was demanding glucose to operate normally or so I understand from the literature I have consumed over past several months.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp I am so sorry to hear that you had to go through that. Just shows how different bodies react to different stress levels and conditions.

Are you on any medication? I have read a number of times that it is highly unlike for a type 2 to go hypo without medication and based on my own experience I am inclined to believe that.

Have you by any chance measured your ketone level at that time? I only ask because you mention in your signature that you follow LCHF and Keto. Although the reading of 3.4 is quite low indeed but if you are in ketosis that should in theory not give the symptoms you experienced so the fact that you did would indicate you were not in ketosis and brain was demanding glucose to operate normally or so I understand from the literature I have consumed over past several months.
Thanks @nutribolt .
Only diabetes meds I take is metformin. Decided to go back on it when I had higher HbA1c following need for several courses of steroid meds.
I haven’t deliberately gone into ketosis through diet means for over a year, prefer to stick to Low carb. Haven’t measured ketones for a while either.
Just a bit under the weather, and I do have other health conditions, so hoping that low was a one off event.
Would help if I was able to get blood tests and reviews, but that is not happening, understandably, right now.

Reactions: DJC3 and Ymdawd

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
6.0 on old meter 6.3 on new meter

I prefer my old meter though I can save options for before or after meals exercise etc on that meter where new meter is as 3 colour coded ranges and if you fall in a range so think I'm going to stick with the old meter

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,

4.5 today.

@DJC3 and @PenguinMum -- Thanks for your support. I agree 8 hours on Zoom is definitely too long, was positively wiped out after this. Fell asleep on the sofa for several hours once it was over. (Though I'd honestly have to say, other than this the workshop was well done and really helpful overall).

Have a great weekend everyone.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.8 this morning, partner positive covid, no result for me yet and no contact tracing alert on my app even though in same house?! But isolated until end of Sunday 24th

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
6.0 on old meter 6.3 on new meter

I prefer my old meter though I can save options for before or after meals exercise etc on that meter where new meter is as 3 colour coded ranges and if you fall in a range so think I'm going to stick with the old meter

Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t. :))

Reactions: annabell1

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.4 this morning.

111 hours into fasting, still feeling perfectly fine and average BG since 12 AM is 4.9.

However, I did receive an ultimatum from my better half last night that I have to eat today so 4.5 days of fasting is where I have to break it. I tried to reason another few hours and it will be a round figure of 5 days but she'll have none of it so .... Well so am off to have a day of food and am looking forward to it. ☺️

Have a lovely weekend everyone.