What's your weight loss today/this week?

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Another 2 lbs away which takes my weight down to 9 st 8 lbs. I've lost 4 stone now. Now I need to be thinking on maintenance strategies as I don't really want to go much below 9 stone.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Didie. That's brilliant :clap: :clap: :clap:

You must be really chuffed with such a great weight loss in such a short time.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
louiseb said:
Viv
The slimfast tins with 12 servings in them are on offer atm in tesco for £3 per tin and and the same at boots and £2.70 for the strawberry flavour at sainsbury.

I have been having 3 shakes per day since last tuesday and lost 10 pouns so far just 1 stone to go now :D

I went to Tesco yesterday and got 4 weeks' worth of shakes - including 6 bottles of the ready-made as I'm doing a few days updating a database at the National Park office, and I couldn't think how else to cope with lunch. I ran the idea past my doctor today and he's given me the okay - note the order I did this in? :wink: :lol:

I can't start until next week, though, as I'm being taken out for a no-expense-spared meal next Tuesday, and I'm not going to waste that! So probably from next Thursday. I'm quite looking forward to giving it a go.

Maybe I'll catch up with Didie - well done! Would you like to lose some for me next? :wink:

Viv 8)

alliebee

Im following vivs diet now, and Ive lost 6lbs this week, which im thrilled about as ive started on insulin this past month and i was worried i would put weight on. :D

louiseb

well done everyone with recent weight losses.
just out of interest how much if any weight did everyone gain over xmas?
I put on nearly half a stone :oops: but on the bright side I have lost over double, what I gained over xmas in the last few weeks.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done to everyone on their weight losses.

I've gained another 2lbs :oops: (gained 4lbs over xmas then lost 2lbs and now gained another 2lbs)

Don't know if it's a delayed reaction to xmas-or am I just making excuses?

I really do need to get serious about it all. I truly believed that I was back on the straight and narrow last week but obviously not.

I gave a thought to starting the Newcastle diet but am a bit wary. Think I will just try and be extra strict with myself this week and try to cut out eating in between meals. Had a bad weekend emotionally and resorted to the dreaded comfort eating-wish I had more willpower and could resist.
On the bacardi tonight to get BG levels back down-any excuse :lol:

Back to the grindstone from tomorrow.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've lost 2 lbs this week which is quite good because I've had a couple of bottles of wine - and I haven't been particularly strict.

I'm going to try the Newcastle diet, starting probably sometime this week, just to see how it works for me - is it any better than Atkins, for instance? But as usual I'm meddling with it - I don't want to eat that many carbs even on a low cal diet. If I keep to my eggs for breakfast and make the Slimfast with water instead of milk, I shall be eating a max of 100g carb per day, and a little more fat than the "pure" diet, for a total of about 700 cals.

I could do with a kick-start to weight loss to motivate me at this time of year, so it might be worth a try. But I know already that I shall be glad to get back to Atkins. I ate a whole-but-tiny lamb shank last night with the last of my ratatouille and it was gorgeous! A local Swaledale, fell-reared (near enough to organic) and hardly fatty at all. Fasting BG this morning - 5.1 :D

Viv 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
viviennem said:
I've lost 2 lbs this week which is quite good because I've had a couple of bottles of wine - and I haven't been particularly strict.

I'm going to try the Newcastle diet, starting probably sometime this week, just to see how it works for me - is it any better than Atkins, for instance? But as usual I'm meddling with it - I don't want to eat that many carbs even on a low cal diet. If I keep to my eggs for breakfast and make the Slimfast with water instead of milk, I shall be eating a max of 100g carb per day, and a little more fat than the "pure" diet, for a total of about 700 cals.

I could do with a kick-start to weight loss to motivate me at this time of year, so it might be worth a try. But I know already that I shall be glad to get back to Atkins. I ate a whole-but-tiny lamb shank last night with the last of my ratatouille and it was gorgeous! A local Swaledale, fell-reared (near enough to organic) and hardly fatty at all. Fasting BG this morning - 5.1 :D

Viv 8)

Surely if your looking for a ''kick-start to weigh loss to motivate me'' then losing 2 lbs last week is motivation enough :? ......Why change your diet if Atkins is helping you to maintain a healthy weight?.......if it ain't broken don't fix it! :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Noblehead, I don't know how long you've been dieting - or even if you've ever had to! - but I've been dieting for about 50 years now and I do know my own reactions to dieting and weight loss very well.

For me, dieting is purely psychological. I use food for comfort and treats and to give myself a little bit of love. Sometimes the self-destruct mind-set is triggered and I will deliberately gorge myself on things I know I can't have - though that is very infrequent, it's much more likely to happen in January and February than at any other time of year.

If I don't do something to kick-start myself now. I shall put it off and put it off, following my normal low-carb lifestyle but adding in the odd bottle of wine, or maybe allowing myself a little treat, or having a bit of comfort food because the weather is miserable and I know it won't spike my BGs too much, and so on and so on - and by the time I get to the end of March I'll be lucky if I'm back to where I was before Christmas, let alone have lost any more. That 2lbs was part of the Christmas 8lbs, not a new loss, and if I'd been Atkins-ing properly I would have lost the lot by now.

I've lost 60lbs so far this time, and I've got at least another 70lbs to go. My metabolism is due to have a protest because I'm forcing it below its usual comfort zone as far as weight is concerned. I need to give it a shock.

So I'm setting myself a challenge by having a go at something that interests me. I want to see what happens on this diet to someone who is usually tightly controlled and at pre-diabetic if not non-diabetic BG levels most of the time. I won't know whether I've lost internal fat because there's no way I'll get the MRI scans to prove that, but if I can have a bit of quick weight loss, say 14lbs in 5 weeks, it will motivate me to go back to my beloved Atkins and be content to lose a pound or so a week for a while.

And when the weather's better I'll be doing a bit more exercise, even if it's only gardening.

Please don't take the next bit personally, Noblehead, because this is not aimed at you, it's a generalisation about the many people who have never had a weight problem, and who think all you have to do is eat less and exercise more and all your problems will be solved.

It is not that simple. It's much more complicated than that. In my case at least, it's a constant battle inside my own head, with my self-image, my self-esteem, and whether I prefer the gratification of seeing the scales go down to the gratification of eating something comforting. And that's not the half of it.

I have a goal ahead - getting my new waterproof to zip up before I go to Inverness in mid-April - and I'm pretty sure the restricted calorie diet for a few weeks will help me get there.

Whether it will still zip up after Inverness is another question entirely! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry to be so serious and to rant - you touched a nerve there, I'm afraid. :wink:

Viv 8)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Viv.

I tend to agree in part with noblehead as your diet seems to be working for you. Having said that I am interested to see how the tweaked Newcastle version works. I definitely need a kick start. I don't think it's the diet that's not working for me-it's me that's not working the diet right :lol: (too much cheating on my part :oops: )

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Viv,

I can well understand the challenges you face with food and do appreciate the psychological impact that this can have, all I was saying was that a 2lb reduction in the space of a week is a fantastic achievement following your usual diet without having to resort to extreme dietary measures, I'm a firm believer that the slower you lose the weight the easier it is to keep off.

As your Inverness trip is mid-April you could potentially lose another 22-24lbs in that time going by last weeks achievements, hope you get that waterproof zipped up and have a great time, just try and take praise more easily when it is offered to you in future! :thumbup:

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I lost 1lb this week, but I have decided that I will be at my lowest by Valentines day, only 4lb off my recent best so I'm going to make sure I blast that short term goal!

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lost 1lb last week. I put on 4 over Christmas though. I've just weighed myself at home (WW tomorrow) and it looks as though I've put on a lb. As Viv says can't seem to get my head back in the right place so I'm trying something different for a while. I'm putting some carbs back in my life but in smaller amounts than prior to low carbing. I feel better and more 'normal'. I'm still trying to even out the testing numbers though......I also realised how conveniently I was 'forgetting' to test when I knew I had eaten something that I knew was not good for me.
If all goes back to plan and I go back to losing 1 lb a week at WW then that's 3.5 stone by next Christmas. No rush as long as I go down. Want to lose 6st so changing my eating habits is for life.
Will eat minimally today and tomorrow to try and register the same weight- too much to hope for a loss!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I apologise, Noblehead - as I said, you touched a nerve and yesterday was Blue Monday! But thanks for the congratulatons on the 2lbs. As you said, it is a good weekly weight loss after 20 months on a diet.

ANyway, I've got the shakes now and I'm quite interested in trying them. Tonight is my "slap-up meal out night" - then tomorrow we start shakin' :D

Viv 8)

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Viv - your earlier post touched a nerve with me. It was like you had been having a rummage around in my brain to see what makes me tick!! i totally understand where you are coming from xx

I am "shaking" at the moment and am finding the fact that i can cope without snacking or comfort eating a revelation. Every other diet I have been on has allowed snacking or comfort eating in some form - free veg/sugar free jelly on weight watchers, yoghurt/mugshots on slimming world and slices of ham and cheese on Atkins.... i have never learnt to break the emotional tie I have to food xx Hopefully that will all change this year!!

Good luck with whatever weightloss appraoch you take this year, and well done on the loss you have already had :)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Viv, I don't know how I managed it but I missed your post just before mine yesterday. Maybe typing at same time or cos it started a new page.

Anyway, I can really appreciate everything you have said and it was good to read it as it made me realise that I am not alone. My big problem is also comfort eating. Also, once the novelty of a new diet wears off, that's it.

I was going to start a thread tonight asking if January is usually a bad month but you have answered it for me. I was diagnosed in September and from then until Christmas I was really good. I was aiming to lower my first Hba1c, fit into an outfit for Christmas, attending umpteen diabetic realted appointments(which helped spur me on) and terrified to eat anything I shouldn't. But then Christmas happened. I got my Hba1c result. The novelty of the new diet wore off and, I think worst of all for me, I ate normally off limit foods in abundance and "got off" with it. By BG levels didn't rise too much. Now I am back to comfort eating with "one won't do any harm" attitude. Don't feel I have anything to aim for and really can't be bothered!

I was thinking of starting shakes but can't make my mind up. Haven't researched it enough or spoken to doctor. Really interested to see how you get on with the modified version. You are already doing so well with your BG levels and weight loss.

You always seem to be so strict and in control. I was under the impression that you had loads of willpower and stamina so I was surprised and touched to read your post tonight.

Good luck with it and keep us up to date on how you are doing. Enjoy your meal tonight :)

Marina

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Marina

Thanks for your post and nice comments. I think that I'm fairly typical of long-term weight problem people - okay so far and then I throw a wobbler! :lol: January is a bad time - we'll all be more positive when the nights get lighter and we can see the signs of spring. My snowdrops are nearly out :p :clap: .

The main thing is to put it behind us and start again - and not beat ourselves up if we have a little failure. After all, beating ourselves up only has us reaching for the comfort food! :lol:

As for tonight's meal - starter: duck with a breaded egg ( :?: I hear you say) and a shredded green salad; followed by roast chicken with haggis ( :?: again), a small selection of veg and some mashed potatoes; and . . . chocolate brownie with chocolate fudge sauce and vanilla ice cream (sorry, Marina!). Accompanied by two glasses of a nice Merlot and a small glass of malt whisky. I can't remember the name of it, but it was very pale gold and absolutely gorgeous.

Tested just now, 2 hours after we finished eating (and I even ate most of the mashed potato) - 5.8 :shock: . No, I don't believe it either. I'll test again in an hour, if I'm still awake.

It was very enjoyable. I'm counting that as the end of my slack time, and tomorrow I'm starting on the shakes. I've announced it, and now I really have to do it!

I'll start a diary thread, so it's obvious, and no-one has to read it if they don't want to. Not even me! :lol:

Viv 8)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh Viv that sounds absolutely delicious. I am drooling as I read it, especially choc brownie and choc fudge sauce. I can almost taste it. Your main meal also sounds lovely. I've had chicken with haggis before and it is delicious. ( Don't laugh at me but I didn't think you'd get haggis in England :eek: )

That's great BG reading :clap: You must have been really good all day.

Good luck tomorrow.

Marina