1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Which Bread?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Yerusha, Sep 11, 2015.

1. sunn49

sunn49 Type 2 · Member

indeed im new to this, the figure is the recommendation by the uk xpert diabetic. being as a recent diagnosed its wiser & better to understand of the illness from the approved dietitians than getting mixed up information from internet.
    the course will broad you the ranges of food & portions that we should eat within safe limit. you dont want to eat the wrong food but at the same time you dont want to suffer & miss out.
    once you have this proper guidelines its up to us to decide what you should & should not eat. in the end youll have your regular check up & you can monitor & take it from there.
    notice i dont give you any information on what you should & shoulnt do, this is much more related to what you ate overall. the only way to understand it, is to learn& know more about it. best of all the course is available for all diabetes. incidentally the one i attended was for type 2 & im monitoring my intake with myfinesspal app. work wonders!
    no i have a recheck up as yet but from my chanes of dieting, i can feel that im much healthier & that im more in control of what i eat & why. but of could i may have to regulate as time goes by.

2. sunn49

sunn49 Type 2 · Member

sorry my friend ive replied back to your comments to the person below somewhere. my apologies im doing this from my phone & the page is jumping all over the place

3. Pollylocks

Pollylocks Type 2 · Well-Known Member

After going through this thread, I just think the importance of a meter to self test is paramount, because so many in here have varying blood glucose levels from different types of bread, some can tolerate certain types and others can't.

I've always thought its so individual....I can eat rice and milk chocolate [not together ;) ] without spiking but according to all the rules I shouldn't be able to. Give me some mashed/baked potato or most types of bread, low GI, high GI, Spelt, Sourdough etc. and I spike sky high. Am okay with the Lidl High Protein ones/LivLife but nothing else and believe me, I've tried so many as I love bread !

As diabetics, we're all treated as 'blanket' ..... this won't suit you but this will.....hmmmm.

I've seen my blood sugar levels so much improved since I went Lowish carb but am starting to think that this isn't the whole story unfortunately because of our individuality. So I think we're on the way there and what an enlightenment the 'low carb' road is, has really helped so many of us but there's so much more we don't know/need to find out about diabetes.

• Like Like x 8
  4. originalgaga

originalgaga Type 2 · Newbie

I may be weird, but I decided to give up bread completely when I was newly diagnosed T2 just over a year ago. I really don't miss it at all now. I eat everything I would normally have in a sandwich, in a sort of lettuce leaf wrap!...yes, ok I am weird!!...but I soon got used to it. I'm afraid toast is out of the question though!:happy:

• Like Like x 5
  5. lynbrown

lynbrown · Well-Known Member

Good advice.

6. lynbrown

lynbrown · Well-Known Member

What is good to replace bread? I love my toast in the morning.

7. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Try the Burgen Soya & Linseed loaf. It's available in Sainsburys and Tesco, and probably other supermarkets. Costs about £1.50, sometimes less on offer.

#67 Prem51, Dec 10, 2015 at 5:41 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2015
  8. Etty

Etty Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Crispbreads are a good substitute, with far fewer carbs. You get the grain taste and a satisfying surface for butter and cheese etc. Finncrisp is my usual, less than 4 g carb per slice.

There's a good seed bread recipe in the cookbook "Real Meal Revolution" if you like the taste. I try these recipes, but always come back to crispbread, simple and cheap.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Interaud

Interaud Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I have experimented also with different bread and found Burgen seeded (approx. 11 g per slice) was fairly good for my glucose levels, but eventually have settled on Hovis 7 seeded wholegrain (approx. 16g per slice). A low carb/high fat diet does seem to work - definitely for me - and I also tend to eat Atkins low carb products on occasions. Best find for me is Organic "No Sugar" yoghurt, which is great for a snack without any nasty spikes occurring.

10. tallpaul69

tallpaul69 Type 2 · Member

I personally use Sukrin if i want a "bread" fix. 1 carb a slice if you slice it right!! Not cheap to buy but it tastes good :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this kind of "advice" is why so many people have progressive diabetes. Their blood sugars are constantly high due to the amounts of carbohydrate suggested, they don't realise as they only have the HbA1c ( the check up blood test) every 6 months or even less, and they find themselves on increasing amounts of medication.
    Carbohydrate is sugar, this is what it turns to in the bloodstream. The reason so many on this forum have good diabetic control is that they significantly lower their carb intake, they also self monitor tbeir own blood glucose levels. With an advised level of 260gm of carb daily, I will almost guarantee that the diabetic control will be poor, and that associated complications will occur.
    Nobody needs to take advice from people on an Internet forum, it is a matter of free choice. I feel the easiest way to approach this is to get a cheap meter and self test. The proof is in the pudding so to speak.
    And lowering carbs by varying degrees, is why so many of us are able to obtain levels that are either close to, or in non diabetic range. The choice is yours.

I do think the remark about newbies is unnecessarily harsh. We've all been there at one point - encouragement is better than condescension.

• Like Like x 8
  12. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I also use their sesame flour for baking plain and savoury muffins. A 250g pack makes me enough fairly substantial ones to last a week and and the plain versions are just over 2g carbs each, so equivalent to 2 slices of their bread.

Robbity

13. chri5

chri5 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

According to their website a 1kg bag of bread mix is £16.20 :eek:. Is this some kind of misprint ?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Donnadoobie

Donnadoobie Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I just looked at that, nearly fell over with shock!

I bought some of their sesame flour the other day. Any one got some good rcepies?

• Like Like x 2
    #74 Donnadoobie, Dec 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2015
  15. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Why are you asking me???? I'm not responsible for their website, and as far as I can see it's got nothing at all to do with my post about sesame flour.

Robbity

16. chri5

chri5 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ok, keep your hair on, I mistakenly quoted you instead of tallpaul. Sorry.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Evelynross

Evelynross Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hey tall pail, what is sukrin , where do I get it and how much does it cost please?

18. Pollylocks

Pollylocks Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I bought some Sukrin bread mix from Amazon but thought it very expensive....bought one packet which was over £4 and makes a small loaf. Tasty but I wouldn't buy it again. If I want a bread fix I stick to LivLife [Waitrose and some Morrisons, about £1.59 a small loaf] or 39p protein rolls from Lidl, large and half a roll is plenty for a sandwich... Livlife 3.8 carbs per slice, can't remember exactly re the rolls but low carb.

19. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Sukrin are a Scandinavian firm that produce a variety of low carb, sugar alternative, and gluten free products, so many of them are suitable for diabetics. They have a UK web site and you can get their products from various other places like Amazon. Google will give you a list of other UK suppliers - I think Waitrose may stock some of their stuff too.

Robbity

• Like Like x 2
  20. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

seems very sensible to me.... there are other things to eat, like and enjoy, just takes a little time to find the sods.... leaf wraps work so good. :)

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook