Why Do We Get Diabetes?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried strict LCHF? If so, and you still dont loose, the answer may be in thyroid not working properly.

I think starvation diet is a bad idea. Cut the carbs and eat fat until you are full.
I have gained weight doing that, after losing lots on Newcastle diet. Maybe I just don't know when I am full? No single method suits everyone, so we have to find our own way.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I know what I did too, but I also know the reasons I did it. I was in no way to blame for the things that caused my depression which in turn caused my obesity. I was to blame for eating the wrong things and not exercising enough, but I couldn't find the will to get it right. I became morbidly obese because of it. I think I would rather have been a slim person who became diabetic for no reason than have all the years of hell becoming fat because I was depressed for a reason.
This echoes my thoughts and reasons, apart from blame. too many other people want to push blame and with that the start of guilt and despair. I will not allow those emotions in over diabetes.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have gained weight doing that, after losing lots on Newcastle diet. Maybe I just don't know when I am full? No single method suits everyone, so we have to find our own way.

I think you capture the issue very nicely there. Some of us, for whatever reason, be it emotional, habit or metabolic, just don't seem to have a properly working full switch. I find it easier to recognise that I am full now I am on low carbs and have frequently left food on my plate since switching to it which was unheard of before. I am learning to have a drink of water first when I feel " hungry" as often it is thirst rather than hunger. I think one of the dangers of the high fat diet message is that you don't need to count calories- to some extent that is probably true, but not if you can eat a pound of cheese or a bag of nuts as a snack. I think it is those things that probably slow down or stop the weight loss in a lot of people trying the diet. An apple as a snack is perfectly portion controlled in a way that a hand dipping into a jar of nuts isn't!

Reactions: 6 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Cold ethyl only ok if you know what your BG does with an apple. For me the answer is no apples boot my bloods up :-( bag of nuts is fine and doesnt affect me

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold ethyl only ok if you know what your BG does with an apple. For me the answer is no apples boot my bloods up :-( bag of nuts is fine and doesnt affect me

I meant that fruit comes in a sensible portion but that nuts and cheese that Lcarbers use as a snack substitute don't. I used to eat a lot of fruit but haven't tried it yet apart from berries and rhubarb( which is a veg I think !) for fear of spiking my blood sugar levels too much so I tend not to snack much these days as everything else is too high in calories or doesn't appeal.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you eat enough fat, normal protein and really cut carbs except for leafy veg
It's fat that Tells your brain you've had enough and in the early part you may have to count calories or follow the Atkins induction diet for a couple of months

Google Low carb craving

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Plate size is also important!! I've been to friends houses for a meal and their plates were too big to fit in their dishwasher!! -I left 1/2my meal as I was not used to such huge plates.

Plates do have an impact on qty of food ate. The fact that your eyes see an empty smaller plate does fool your brain after a few days.

I've mentioned this before, but my 1st hubby had a 26" waist and had been brought up on meagre amounts of food, and his stomach shrunk not to accept more.. But so did his brain....(not shrink-lol!!)- but he had trained his brainfrom smaller portions to not have his brain wanting more...

Plate size is important as well. Make enough food to fill smaller plates for a while... Your brain and eyes will retrain themselves.

I hate leaving anything on a plate, at home I always lick it!! However, my brain and stomach like my 1st hubbys don't accept more now, even on bigger plates...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I meant that fruit comes in a sensible portion but that nuts and cheese that Lcarbers use as a snack substitute don't. I used to eat a lot of fruit but haven't tried it yet apart from berries and rhubarb( which is a veg I think !) for fear of spiking my blood sugar levels too much so I tend not to snack much these days as everything else is too high in calories or doesn't appeal.
Rhubarb is a no no for me now. It's growing in the garden but the only way I can eat it is the way I did as a kid ... covered in sugar so .... its had to go.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I never really put much sugar in my rhubarb so have just gone hardcore and eat it stewed as it comes with yogurt. I'm sure the facial contortions as I eat are giving my wrinkles a workout.

Reactions: 5 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have come to like sour with yogurt. It makes the yogurt taste sweet
Yogurt use to taste sour to me

mpe

Yesterday another post (sorry that I can't remember by whom) quoted Jenny Ruhl who says that diabetes is a symptom, not a cause. It was a welcome reminder for me. :)

Basically, type 1s don't produce insulin. Type 2 don't produce enough. That's very simplified.

But what causes the insulin deficiency? Fatty liver? Large body mass? Immune problems following a virus? Toxic chemical exposure? Medical drugs (also toxic)? Complication from another problem or disease? Trauma (physical or emotional)? Grief? Organ deterioration through age? Diet? Lifestyle? Genetics?

Actually in T2s it is not uncommon for there to be an excess of insulin. Especially in the early stages.

mpe

See, if the cause is not clear, and the picture painted by the NHS is blurred when it comes to who's at risk, who can truly prevent themselves from getting diabetes where lifestyle is concerned? Most of the advice is 'eat healthily', and exercise.

Since the NHS definition of a "healthy diet" is to eat mostly glucose that's very unlikely to be the best thing for any one at risk of developing T2 diabetes.

I was already doing that! Where does that leave me where the NHS is concerned because I have no weight to lose, in fact I am trying to gain weight! Because I don't fit their picture, I also do not fit their plan of action.

Are they in effect saying "you cannot be underweight"?

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Since the NHS definition of a "healthy diet" is to eat mostly glucose that's very unlikely to be the best thing for any one at risk of developing T2 diabetes.

Are they in effect saying "you cannot be underweight"?
No, they are saying I need to put weight on! I am being encouraged to eat as many calories (aka carbs) as possible. What I was saying is that for many people, losing weight will be part of the plan!

mpe

lt has been explained on here forgotton where that when we eat carbs our body produces insulin that gobbles them up for energy and as said people follow healthy eating nhs way...you are puttibg in a lot of hidden carbs. How many people before diagnosis knew carbs and starch were sugar or understoid that?

It's a sort of "hiding in plain sight". Though certainly not helped by the terms the food industry uses. Which tend to imply that ogliosacharides and polysacharides are very different from monosacharides and disacharides.

The problem comes when we eat fat and have insulin prowling around inside us the body can not utilise fat as the insulin blocks the "body/fat communication" so our body stores fat being unable to do anything else with it.

Insulin actually encourages the fat in lipoproteins to move into fat cells. Hence it's known as a "fat storage hormone".

Virtually all "junk food" is high sugar regardless of fat content.
Yet it's PC to blame the fat rather than the sugar for it being "fattening".

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I never really put much sugar in my rhubarb so have just gone hardcore and eat it stewed as it comes with yogurt. I'm sure the facial contortions as I eat are giving my wrinkles a workout.
The picture I have in my minds eye right now!!!!
Larfffink.gif

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you eat enough fat, normal protein and really cut carbs except for leafy veg
It's fat that Tells your brain you've had enough and in the early part you may have to count calories or follow the Atkins induction diet for a couple of months

Google Low carb craving
Cut out carbs, (bread, rice, cereal, pasta) etc. never have sugar or sweet food. Probably didn't have enough fat, it makes me nauseous.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coconut oil. Olive oil. Butter. Fats in seeds and other food
It doesn't need to be all meat fat, the grain oils and trans fats are the ones to stay away from

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you capture the issue very nicely there. Some of us, for whatever reason, be it emotional, habit or metabolic, just don't seem to have a properly working full switch. I find it easier to recognise that I am full now I am on low carbs and have frequently left food on my plate since switching to it which was unheard of before. I am learning to have a drink of water first when I feel " hungry" as often it is thirst rather than hunger. I think one of the dangers of the high fat diet message is that you don't need to count calories- to some extent that is probably true, but not if you can eat a pound of cheese or a bag of nuts as a snack. I think it is those things that probably slow down or stop the weight loss in a lot of people trying the diet. An apple as a snack is perfectly portion controlled in a way that a hand dipping into a jar of nuts isn't!
That is exactly it cold ethyl. You know me so well! I could eat a lot of cheese, so I don't have it in the house and can't be tempted. Cream sounds lovely, but again I could maybe eat too much. Cream and butter do make me feel nauseous too. I do drink lots of water, especially if I think I feel hungry. I really believe some of us do not have a 'satiety switch'.

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coconut oil. Olive oil. Butter. Fats in seeds and other food
It doesn't need to be all meat fat, the grain oils and trans fats are the ones to stay away from
Thanks, I know about trans fats, stay away from them.
I use olive oil, like nuts, but worry that eat too many if I start because I don't get to feel full. This is possibly due to nerve damage as I have a spinal injury (from many years ago) and also have had a lot of surgery damaging nerves in my abdomen.

I will have to learn not to take literally the advice to eat as much fat as it takes to stop being hungry.
Advice appreciated. Thank you.