Why Do We Get Diabetes?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Wow.
Of course, as soon as I read this, I had to bustle off and find a Diabetes Risk Q'aire.
Amazingly, I am apparently at low risk
Low risk

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Apparently my waist size and weight don't even raise me into the 'raised risk' section of the chart.

But then, they didn't ask about my medication history, or previous BG warning signs, or any of the things that actually seem to factor in.

Priceless!
Just had a look at my risk, guess what?

Yes! High risk!

Reactions: 5 people

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
just been reading what you've all written, can i say do you know how awesome you all are, how much you lift my spirits just reading on this forum. i could just burst with joy, thanks and big hugs to you all, have a great day all

Reactions: 10 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
I am also low risk!! I told my doctor this morning and she laughed!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Not quite six foot three
34 inch waist.
14 stone for years no matter what I ate or didn't.
Never been into chocolate crisps fizzy drinks etc.
More savoury and spicy than sweet.
Very active very strong full of energy.
Damaged my back became less and less active.
Started taking Gabapentin for pain relief ... warning may cause weight gain.
Shot to eighteen stone in around four maybe five months.
Diagnosed with T2 within twelve months.
No family history of it.
Why me?
Why you?
Why the massive epidemic of it across the western world?

I've heard some say ... all the chemicals in and on food could be responsible.
Meat production methods.
Another is the 1960's green revolution where wheat was crossed with a grass that humans cannot digest but we could suddenly grow much more wheat in many more places.
I've read somewhere this is also responsible for young women getting paunches that won't go away ....after pregnancy.
It is something to do with the environment for sure ....

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Another thing is after WW2 we had it hammered into us that three meals a day was the norm ... plus supper and lots of milk ... cows milk.
When in history did the population ever have three good meals a day and lots of cows milk and endless snacks?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
After WW2 and then Eisenhowers heart attack which then led US govt and europeans after to start believing duff data from researchers...they still won't look or listen to what their research and information has caused... Probably because of lawsuits...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm @JACKTHELAD i could also eat what i wanted without any weight fluctuation :-o

Type 1 Diabetic: (Novorapid/Levemir) Diagnosed 2014: Extremely handsome: Always smiling :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.. An undersized child brought up on salad & wholemeal. Any veg was farm produce..
Fish was high on the menu.. Meat from a proper butcher.
Take aways & fast food was for deviants as far as my dad was concerned.. Lol
The usual active childhood or unusual in respect of cycling, horse riding & dance classes..
Horses are physical.. Especially when you have to feed the buggers lugging bails of hay..

Soooo, diagnosed on my 8th birthday as T1.. I don't remember anything different..
Someone in my family may have been diabetic who knows.?! An aunt on my dad's side??
Autoimmune in my case by all accounts...

Irony, my dad fell on the same sword in his late 70's..? T2.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
.. An undersized child brought up on salad & wholemeal. Any veg was farm produce..
Fish was high on the menu.. Meat from a proper butcher.
Take aways & fast food was for deviants as far as my dad was concerned.. Lol
The usual active childhood or unusual in respect of cycling, horse riding & dance classes..
Horses are physical.. Especially when you have to feed the buggers lugging bails of hay..

Soooo, diagnosed on my 8th birthday as T1.. I don't remember anything different..
Someone in my family may have been diabetic who knows.?! An aunt on my dad's side??
Autoimmune in my case by all accounts...

Irony, my dad fell on the same sword in his late 70's..? T2.
It's weird.
There has to be an explanation as to why the western world is having this epidemic.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's weird.
There has to be an explanation as to why the western world is having this epidemic.

Maybe humanity is running the end of its course..? We have certain technology to prolong life.
There are over 7 billion people on this planet.
When have you ever heard of a diabetic dolphin... I got no idea.. This stuff must have been around since the dawn of time.
Natures equivalent of a car company "recall"...?

If you went by one theory of a certain member on here you would believe you were literally "talked into" diabetes by "agents" of the pharmaceutical industry..!?

Last edited by a moderator:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
There are over 7 billion people on this planet.
When have you ever heard of a diabetic dolphin... I got no idea.. This stuff must have been around since the dawn of time.
Natures equivalent of a car company "recall"...?

If you went by one theory of a certain member on here you would believe you were literally "talked into" diabetes by "agents" of the pharmaceutical industry..!?[/QUOTE]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------<>--------------------------------------------------------------------

But it's only in the western world ....
dunno.gif
.... and the guy who doesn't trust the corporations isn't as daft as at first may seem.
I read a couple of years ago about a top Pharma guy ... been in the biz for sixty years and at the very top of the food chain.
His dream was to create a drug and a situation where everyone would be prescribed this drug even when they weren't ill or nbefore they were ill purely as the biggest money spinner in pharma history.
That drug was statins.
I can't for the life of me find that story online ... it was the guys memoirs can't remember his name but ... I will find it and will post the details here soon as I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, "problem solutions" to problems we never knew we had.. Then cash in on it..
I'm a cynic, but still can't believe it's all part of one big plan.. Could be folks un diagnosed in third world countries we don't know about...
We got the money & structure to pay for the treatment.
Maybe genetic crops are to blame...??? Then the pharma companies reap the damage from short sighted do gooders..??
Weapons companies help wars, then development firms move in to clean up... The list goes on..!

Everybody's taking a slice of the pie...

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Yep, "problem solutions" to problems we never knew we had.. Then cash in on it..
I'm a cynic, but still can't believe it's all part of one big plan.. Could be folks un diagnosed in third world countries we don't know about...
We got the money & structure to pay for the treatment.
Maybe genetic crops are to blame...??? Then the pharma companies reap the damage from short sighted do gooders..??
Weapons companies help wars, then development firms move in to clean up... The list goes on..!

Everybody's taking a slice of the pie...
And we get the crumbs ....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually, when you think about it. There is no pie.... It's just created to make the grass look greener on the other side.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For anyone interested in chatting about diabetes and obesity and the link between one and the other, why not join the #gbdoc tweet chat next Wednesday evening at 9pm and share your views live? www.gbdoc.co.uk:)

chicken egg.jpg

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a look at "The men that made us spend" on IPlayer. They were talking about the statin situation and how the dangerous cholesterol level was halved to make them fit.

I am sick of my size, no matter what I try to do I don't lose an ounce, 1200 cal low carb diet for 3 months with a min of 1/2 an hour exercise each day, not an ounce. I have tried it all and nothing shifts. Nobody knows why. I have been tested for Type 1 and waiting for the results, now doing a basal bolus routine but having to take lots of insulin already. No doubt insulin resistant, need to lose weight, can't lose weight, can't get bariatric surgery because I can't lose 10% of my weight on my own and so it goes on. My only choice is likely to be getting into debt to have a gastric band.

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel for you.
I have given up on trying to lose at all.
If it happens, it happens.
If it doesn't, at least I won't have made myself miserable.

I'm LCHF, and find it controls my BG nicely, and sometimes I lose a pound, but I'm just very, very pleased not to be gaining.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at "The men that made us spend" on IPlayer. They were talking about the statin situation and how the dangerous cholesterol level was halved to make them fit.

I am sick of my size, no matter what I try to do I don't lose an ounce, 1200 cal low carb diet for 3 months with a min of 1/2 an hour exercise each day, not an ounce. I have tried it all and nothing shifts. Nobody knows why. I have been tested for Type 1 and waiting for the results, now doing a basal bolus routine but having to take lots of insulin already. No doubt insulin resistant, need to lose weight, can't lose weight, can't get bariatric surgery because I can't lose 10% of my weight on my own and so it goes on. My only choice is likely to be getting into debt to have a gastric band.
Have you tried strict LCHF? If so, and you still dont loose, the answer may be in thyroid not working properly.

I think starvation diet is a bad idea. Cut the carbs and eat fat until you are full.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
lt has been explained on here forgotton where that when we eat carbs our body produces insulin that gobbles them up for energy and as said people follow healthy eating nhs way...you are puttibg in a lot of hidden carbs. How many people before diagnosis knew carbs and starch were sugar or understoid that?

The problem comes when we eat fat and have insulin prowling around inside us the body can not utilise fat as the insulin blocks the "body/fat communication" so our body stores fat being unable to do anything else with it.

When we low carb high fat you are not putting a lot of carbs into your system so after a fast insulin zoom no need to produce much insulin as the carb trigger is not high the body looks for energy. Fat has about 9x more energy than carbs and no or little insulin floating round means your body and the fat stores and fat you eat can now communicate so you loose weight.

That is why there are so many obese people around to high carb to fat