What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jojo broadie

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Found these crackers. BG reading Sunday morning 6.1 tried a couple of these last night before bed with butter/ peanut butter. Todays BG reading this morning 4.9 happy with this.:happy: Just wanted to share with you all.
where can you buy these crackers ....do all supermarkets sell them ...thanks

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasted.

D was supposed to be chicken fajitas but I was greeted with a stench when I opened the pack and wasn't brave enough to risk it. Ended up with bacon burger in lettuce. Now feel too stuffed, disappointed and suck....x

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF

Reactions: 2 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: venison sausages, poached eggs, 1/2 Lidl roll, sautéed mushrooms with thyme
L: none
D: a strange combination. Cold duck breast, rocket, red pepper, toasted pine nuts, olives, egg white omelette with chives and blue cheese (made lemon curd and had a lot of egg whites left over!); lemon & strawberry ricotta cake with Alpro coconut yoghurt.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
KateA do you cook the spinach or use fresh leaves? I'd love to try this breakfast
Fresh spinach leaves, the heat of the poached eggs wilt the leaves ever so slightly.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
where can you buy these crackers ....do all supermarkets sell them ...thanks
Hi jojo broadie, I got them from Fultons but think Asda do them,:) they look like Jacobs cream crackers but are high fibre gluten free very thin crackers lovely, hope you find them .

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How did these turn out?

They were nice, but I think my ground almonds and coconut flour were a bit coarse, and I should have made the mix a little more moist. Flavour was good.

6 more to enjoy over the next few days. :)

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday's intake:
B: Tea, coffee
L: Hot dog (was with a minor Canasta at school fair)
D: Roast chicken, salad, small piece of baguette to mop up olive oil; Turkish yoghurt (from Lidl or Netto) with nuts and berries. Piece of 75% chocolate

Without prompting, my two teenage boys now regularly eat yoghurt and berries for breakfast or as a dessert, eat more vegetables and have pretty much stopped requesting fizzy pop. Result - they snack much less frequently than they did previously (and will often have a handful of nuts when the ghrelin strikes) and we have about four boxes of **** sugary cereals going mouldy in the cupboard. One downside of my current dietary regime is that whenever the word 'sugar' is mentioned on TV/radio, I am informed by them (with spookily accurate versions of my own voice) that it is the devil's work...A small price to pay (and evidence that the message has reached them).

Reactions: 4 people

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Amazed at how little snacking seems to go on in this thread.

I try to keep my 3 meals as low carb as possible, especially breakfast, but despite trying hard, my appetite is not suppressed enough to avoid lots of snacking.
Yesterday........

B Josephs low carb pita with Egg mayo, pate, cheese/chive dip
L Piece of hilo toast with pip/nut almond/coconut spread
D 2 lightly dusted haddock in breadcrumbs (M and S) with a box of micro chips + loads of butter/vinegar, followed by strawberries and loads of cream (total about 55 grams of carbs, sent BG up to 9)

snacks (all M and S, as tend to be lower carb)........... a few cocktail sausages, lots of nuts spaced out, cheese sticks, cold meat, one malteser, a wafer thin slice of my daughter's birthday cake.

I don't eat vegetables (apart from spuds) or salad at all..........not fit for human consumption in my opinion.

Can't wait for Carisma low carb potatoes to come here from Australia.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Oh my goodness! I have read down this whole list of foods that you are all eating and I'm just shocked! How on earth do you get away with it? I had a pack of info given to me by the diabetic nurse on Friday at my very first review, and a long list of foods not to eat .. but you are all eating what I've been told not to :(
I really cannot get my head around this.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my goodness! I have read down this whole list of foods that you are all eating and I'm just shocked! How on earth do you get away with it? I had a pack of info given to me by the diabetic nurse on Friday at my very first review, and a long list of foods not to eat .. but you are all eating what I've been told not to :(
I really cannot get my head around this.

It is because we have all done our independent research, and we are testing our blood glucose. This lets us work out what foods send our blood glucose up (carbohydrates) and what foods don't (fats and proteins ) and can tailor make our own diets for best blood glucose control. :)

The diet info the NHS usually gives out is outdated and disproven, but they still churn it out - and many of us have found that following that wholegrain, high carb, low fat advice does us more harm than good.

Welcome, by the way.
Settle in, get your feet under the table, and believe me, there is a whole world of delicious diabetic friendly low carb food out there... :D

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't listen to anything the outdated NHS says about food - we're all testimony to low carbing. You need to fill up with natural fats to stay full and you will find you aren't hungry and so end up eating less and reduce weight and bg. Add fasting to the mix and you're laughing! It really works x

----------

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B bacon and scrambled eggs, coffee

L small steamed salmon salad

D chicken fajitas in lettuce wraps, whipped cream, flaked almonds and melted dark choc drizzle

----------

D

debrasue

Amazed at how little snacking seems to go on in this thread.

I try to keep my 3 meals as low carb as possible, especially breakfast, but despite trying hard, my appetite is not suppressed enough to avoid lots of snacking.
Yesterday........

B Josephs low carb pita with Egg mayo, pate, cheese/chive dip
L Piece of hilo toast with pip/nut almond/coconut spread
D 2 lightly dusted haddock in breadcrumbs (M and S) with a box of micro chips + loads of butter/vinegar, followed by strawberries and loads of cream (total about 55 grams of carbs, sent BG up to 9)

snacks (all M and S, as tend to be lower carb)........... a few cocktail sausages, lots of nuts spaced out, cheese sticks, cold meat, one malteser, a wafer thin slice of my daughter's birthday cake.

I don't eat vegetables (apart from spuds) or salad at all..........not fit for human consumption in my opinion.

Can't wait for Carisma low carb potatoes to come here from Australia.
Hi @Jasperville - welcome to the thread!
It may be that the reason your appetite is not suppressed is because you're still having quite a few carbs with each meal (30g pita bread. 5g per slice HiLo, 4g haddock in breadcrumbs, 26.9g microchips, maybe 25g for cake = around 91g for the day). That's not a massive amount - and is within the (in my opinion, flawed) NHS guidelines, but what it does is sets up a reaction within your body which continues the carbs/snacks cravings.
When I started LCHF I was limiting carbs to under 30g per day and it literally only took a few days before I really, genuinely, didn't crave carbs, sugar or snacks. I am a little more lenient with myself now, but I still avoid sugar and the obviously high-carb foods because I have found that they instantly set up the cravings again.
Nowadays I rarely snack, but if I do it's usually a few berries and cream, or some cheese, or a spoonful of sugar-free raw peanut butter.
Hope this helps! Keep sharing...

Reactions: 4 people

JenniferG

Breakfast 2:15 PM (breaking 18 hour fast):
ham, cream cheese & minced green olive roll ups, walnuts, blueberries

20k2hec.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Debrasue..............that was a bad day!

The Josephs low carb pitas are 4 grams carbs each, and have very little effect on my BG. On a good day I stick to 40-50 grams of carbs, but struggle to get it lower, so never in ketosis I think. However, I do manage to stay at about 70-80% fat, which is what I aim for, and despite some very high calorie days, have managed to lose 23 lbs in 5 months, and Hba1c down from 10.0 to 6.2, so I'm happy enough.

I did Atkins in the past, 20 grams carbs per day, but still had sugar cravings (psychological, not from my stomach)

Today

Intermittent fast, so no breakfast, no lunch. Just double cream in coffee. Wanted to last until 7pm, but gave in at 3pm, had a couple of fistfuls of M and S Bombay mix (25g carbs per 100g, doesn't spike me too much), and a low carb bar from the natural low carb store (5 grams carbs). Home from work, grazed on the kids leftovers...............4 or 5 oven chips, a bit of cottage pie, and had 1/3 of a Lidl high protein roll with butter, cheese, mayo and ham.
Just had a 3 egg omelette with cheese, ham, mushrooms, and strawberries with erythritol and cream "3 ways" - double, extra thick and clotted. I'm sure I had some cashew nuts at some point as well.

I reckon I'm at 40-45 grams today, BG not gone above 7.

Planning half a glass of red wine before bed, as I'm experimenting to see if it reduces my dawn phenomenon.

love this thread.