Your carb nemesis?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For me it's potatoes!

During my long time of testing and experimentation with all types of food, carbs and sugars, vegetables and protein, I have discovered that my quickest spiking food is spuds! I just can't eat a bite without a dramatic rocketing of my blood glucose levels. I have never heard ofpotato intolerance, wheat, yes! But not potatoes!
Wheat is just as bad, even glucose is less than spuds and wheat!

Which type of food spikes you worse or higher?

Reactions: KezG and Freema

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Potatoes.
I've learned to avoid them but a few weeks ago we had a ready meal and I wasn't really paying much attention to the contents. It was a meat dish (on the packet) which I thought would be OK but also contained paprika potatoes. I was half way through the meal before light dawned and I binned the potatoes I'd not already scoffed. However what I had eaten really pushed up my BG. Before the meal my BG was 6.5, two hours later it was 10.5!!

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bisto gravy!
Bread of any sort except Lidl rolls
Batter

Therefore, I can say flour is my nemesis.

New and roast potatoes are Ok in small portions, chips are quite good if double or triple fried.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Bisto gravy!
Bread of any sort except Lidl rolls
Batter

Therefore, I can say flour is my nemesis.

New and roast potatoes are Ok in small portions, chips are quite good if double or triple fried.

If it wasn't for the spuds, that's more or less me, flour is nearly just as bad! (Does that make sense or just bad grammar?)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've given up on spuds years ago.. Lol, I can't even bolus for the **** things properly...! Timing, ratio, try any tactic. It's a pig.!!

Except pig. That works well! ;)

Reactions: KezG

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Grains -wheat is worst. Rice next.
Am surprisingly ok with potatoes :)

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've given up on spuds years ago.. Lol, I can't even bolus for the **** things properly...! Timing, ratio, try any tactic. It's a pig.!!

Except pig. That works well! ;)

Oh yeah! pig works well with me in all forms!
Bacon, gammon, pork, belly, oh yeah!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm fine with potato's, don't often eat mashed potato (unless part of a cottage pie) but the quantity is usually smallish and the fat in the meal helps dampen the spike.

Suppose sweet things eaten on their own would be my nemesis, but as I don't often eat sweet things and when I do I eat them after a main course it's not usually a issue.

Wheat is just as bad, even glucose is less than spuds and wheat!

I would have thought you'd be fine with wheat, the Bergen bread you like has wheat as the main ingredient @Lamont D

Reactions: azure and Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Call it a "Cornish pasty"? & hash tag pizza efect...

Not had one of them in about ten years!
Scouse in pastry!
Scouse is made up of anything and everything that I'm a lot intolerant to!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm fine with potato's, don't often eat mashed potato (unless part of a cottage pie) but the quantity is usually smallish and the fat in the meal helps dampen the spike.

Suppose sweet things eaten on their own would be my nemesis, but as I don't often eat sweet things and when I do I eat them after a main course it's not usually a issue.

I would have thought you'd be fine with wheat, the Bergen bread you like has wheat as the main ingredient @Lamont D

I have a piece of Bergen a day! It does nothing to my levels, it must be the combination of ingredients that do it!
Give me whole wheat or white bread and I rocket!

I had a mixed breakfast test, (similar to glucose tolerance) it has bread with butter and jam on, and a cup of tea with milk and sugar. I can't eat butter, no milk or sugar in tea, and I went higher than my glucose test!

Why, no idea!

igual88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politicians, oysters , anything with more than 4 legs
So far my biggest spike has been caused by 1/4 of a white baguette prior to trying by reading was 5.9
1 hour mark it was in the 12s 2 hour mark was 8.4
Spuds and pasta are the next deadly pair with rice tolerable in small portions, can eat a few bits of sushi without a huge spike .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have a piece of Bergen a day! It does nothing to my levels, it must be the combination of ingredients that do it!

Possibly, but good that you don't have a wheat intolence @Lamont D

We've not bought the Bergen bread for a while but when we did I always preferred it toasted, even when making a sandwich. We now just buy Lidl's Farmhouse Seeded bread which is really nice and good value for money

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

To be fair.. You must be pretty adept at using the pump & with those small adjustments anything sweet in moderation or as a "taster" would just be a quick carb "correction" as a push in the other (more +.) direction...? ;)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
To be fair.. You must be pretty adept at using the pump & with those small adjustments anything sweet in moderation or as a "taster" would just be a quick carb "correction" as a push in the other (more +.) direction...? ;)

Yes sure @Jaylee , but I don't much care for sweet things like cake whether they contain 30g of carbs or 3g. What I do enjoy is a square of Lidl's 70% Caramel chocolate when I want something kind of sweet.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Possibly, but good that you don't have a wheat intolence @Lamont D

We've not bought the Bergen bread for a while but when we did I always preferred it toasted, even when making a sandwich. We now just buy Lidl's Farmhouse Seeded bread which is really nice and good value for money

Yeah, that's how I like it!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes sure @Jaylee , but I don't much care for sweet things like cake whether they contain 30g of carbs or 3g. What I do enjoy is a square of Lidl's 70% Caramel chocolate when I want something kind of sweet.

We all have different pallets.. When I feel "decadent", I hit the cheese board... Or reach for da pig snacks..
A cheese straw or a bread stick on the occasion I need a poke in the "right direction"... ;)