Should this be the ultimate diet?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG this morning 5.3 :depressed::(
So maybe it is the nuts.. slept well from 11.30 to 7.48 although did have a leg cramp in the middle of the night which woke me up (V unusual ). Need to do the usual morning routine then the weigh in.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Peanuts spike me disproportionately and nuts don't necessarily raise me but they DO stop me from dropping. Try avocado lol.
I have some quite old avocados in the fridge maybe I should try those with the eggs tonight and see what happens.. Means I can't have bacon though...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning's numbers

Weight 207.0 (14st 11pounds)
Body fat 25.7%
Visceral fat 12
BMI 28.1
FBG 5.3

So ... little weight loss in the past 3 days but down from 213.4 at the start so 6 pounds in a week .. not bad.
Body fat from 27% to 25.7% visceral fat down a bit 13 to 12 but not huge
BMI from 28.9 to 28.1

Bloods ok apart from the past couple of days where I have been over 5 which considering how little I have eaten is a bit disappointing to say the least - would have hoped for 3's and 4's. So it looks like nuts aren't great for me.
I'm thinking of calling a halt today but I'll skip lunch and eat some avocado that has been languishing in the fridge tonight possibly with some eggs and bacon.

My overall thoughts were that because I'm fat adapted this has been a pretty easy week. I've had a couple of "moments" where I have felt a bit woozy and a few pangs of hunger but nothing too dramatic. I hope I haven't slowed my metabolic rate too much by eating so little but will shock it into submission with an avocado feast tonight (assuming they haven't gone off).

I reckon after a few very low carb months this regime would be far easier than nasty shakes (its effectively just a One Meal A Day fast with cream in coffee). I don't want to do it for 8 weeks but with a bit of imagination you could vary foods quite easily to make it more variable and palatable or alternatively just get all your calories from cream and bacon... hmm now there's a thought.. how many rashers a day could I fit in...?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning's numbers

Weight 207.0 (14st 11pounds)
Body fat 25.7%
Visceral fat 12
BMI 28.1
FBG 5.3

So ... little weight loss in the past 3 days but down from 213.4 at the start so 6 pounds in a week .. not bad.
Body fat from 27% to 25.7% visceral fat down a bit 13 to 12 but not huge
BMI from 28.9 to 28.1

Bloods ok apart from the past couple of days where I have been over 5 which considering how little I have eaten is a bit disappointing to say the least - would have hoped for 3's and 4's. So it looks like nuts aren't great for me.
I'm thinking of calling a halt today but I'll skip lunch and eat some avocado that has been languishing in the fridge tonight possibly with some eggs and bacon.

My overall thoughts were that because I'm fat adapted this has been a pretty easy week. I've had a couple of "moments" where I have felt a bit woozy and a few pangs of hunger but nothing too dramatic. I hope I haven't slowed my metabolic rate too much by eating so little but will shock it into submission with an avocado feast tonight (assuming they haven't gone off).

I reckon after a few very low carb months this regime would be far easier than nasty shakes (its effectively just a One Meal A Day fast with cream in coffee). I don't want to do it for 8 weeks but with a bit of imagination you could vary foods quite easily to make it more variable and palatable or alternatively just get all your calories from cream and bacon... hmm now there's a thought.. how many rashers a day could I fit in...?

I understand your disappointment in the BG's not going lower. Have you experienced many sub 5, even sub 4 BG's. I would agree that you seem to have some fat left that you're consuming when having a low cal week.

Do you think the woozy periods were low BG's?

Worth having a go to see how it went and agree that with a little variation in foods it would sound promising. I completely agree that weeks of "Nasty shakes" I would find impossible.
Best of luck.
Hj

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck with the avo!! Maybe a little less bacon, a little less egg , a little less butter and a lot more avo!!!

For me all that bacon and butter ( not so much egg but more greasy fat) would stall me. If I ate lots of bacon Andy eggs fried in butter , cheese etc I wouldn't lose weight but I can eat all the avo and mayo I want and lose or at least maintain.

There are studies saying sat fat makes us insulin resistant. I'm sure there are just as many that says it doesn't. So I guess this is part of the individuality.

Maybe do a new study and sub out some avo for bacon, butter and cheese but keep macros the same? I imagine you'd see SOME difference within a few days

Just a thought. Not trying to sabatoge your experiment !!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/240744/paleo-baked-eggs-in-avocado/

Obviously they forgot the bacon crumbles. Silly people.

Or even easier just make an over easy egg and top avo with then bacon.

Is your mouth watering ??

Or make guac and add cooked egg and bacon.

I've never cooked avo but heard it's delish.

My daughter smashes avo on plate, then fries and egg and bacon or sausage and tops the avo then mixes it all together. Have to say it's excellent.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand your disappointment in the BG's not going lower. Have you experienced many sub 5, even sub 4 BG's. I would agree that you seem to have some fat left that you're consuming when having a low cal week.

Do you think the woozy periods were low BG's?

Worth having a go to see how it went and agree that with a little variation in foods it would sound promising. I completely agree that weeks of "Nasty shakes" I would find impossible.
Best of luck.
Hj
I felt a bit woozy then tested I think 4.2 so not as low as I had been during the week. I probably didn't have enough salt although I did add it to all food but forgot to put it in my coffee as I have done before when fasting.

Reactions: hankjam

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with the avo!! Maybe a little less bacon, a little less egg , a little less butter and a lot more avo!!!

For me all that bacon and butter ( not so much egg but more greasy fat) would stall me. If I ate lots of bacon Andy eggs fried in butter , cheese etc I wouldn't lose weight but I can eat all the avo and mayo I want and lose or at least maintain.

There are studies saying sat fat makes us insulin resistant. I'm sure there are just as many that says it doesn't. So I guess this is part of the individuality.

Maybe do a new study and sub out some avo for bacon, butter and cheese but keep macros the same? I imagine you'd see SOME difference within a few days

Just a thought. Not trying to sabatoge your experiment !!!

Just eaten 8 thin rashers of bacon mmmmm and 250g of home made guacamole which was jolly nice.
2 large avocado, tomato, 2 chillis, spring onions and lime juice split it with hubby... well let him have a little bit..

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just eaten 8 thin rashers of bacon mmmmm and 250g of home made guacamole which was jolly nice.
2 large avocado, tomato, 2 chillis, spring onions and lime juice split it with hubby... well let him have a little bit..
Yay!! I'll be waiting to hear how your bloods went!! And if you dropped 5#'s overnight haha

Glad you enjoyed it !!!

I think I might have to put an egg on my avo tonight ever since I mentioned it !! Soft boiled ? Fried over easy?? Decisions decisions.

Reactions: TIANDB and Snapsy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay!! I'll be waiting to hear how your bloods went!! And if you dropped 5#'s overnight haha

Glad you enjoyed it !!!

I think I might have to put an egg on my avo tonight ever since I mentioned it !! Soft boiled ? Fried over easy?? Decisions decisions.
poached definitely.. always the best egg IMHO..

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just made a huge breakthrough!
Was playing around with some numbers this afternoon and realised if I cut back on the cream in coffee I could in fact have

6 rashers of bacon and
3 eggs

and still remain within the 800 cals for today... yippee!
So it could become the bacon and eggs Newcastle Diet protocol..who could resist..?

I'm thinking of trying my own LCHF version of 800 calories at the moment - I'm trying to mix it up so that within the 800 I eat 30g carb, 50g proteins and the balance fats and at the same time switch up the food so that I also get as close as possible to 100% nutrients . ( day 1 822 cals, 84% total nutrients, 39 P 31C 56F ). if I get anywhere with it and manage to keep it up for a few days I will post some details in a separate thread)

in the meantime .....

I posted quite a while ago on the idea of a bacon and egg diet . I have done this for a few weekends and it does reliably kick start a diet whilst still giving both variety for taste and the vast majority of required nutrients. .

Ingredients - 6 eggs, 1 pkt bacon, 1 carton tomatoes, 1 carton mushrooms, 1 bag spinach, 1 onion 50g butter, 50g mixed seeds. total 1600 calories - eat over two days ! if you get too bored with your current eggs and cheese plan, you could try that for a change !

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And about hubby? I am very giving and generous but NOT when it comes to my green goddess!! Can't share everything!!
Since he saw my stellar cholesterol he now wants them. Trunk cubating 14 a week to perfect ripeness!! If the stock gets low he's just going to have to forgo. Bad wife!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooo.... forgot about poached. I was never good at making them in a pan rather than a poacher. Any hints?
I love eggs Bennie!!
Ok my trick is this.
Get the water to champagne bubble stage
Put the eggs in their shell in the water for 30 seconds then take them out.
Let the water heat up some more and then crack the eggs into a small ramekin.
lower the ramekin into the water letting the egg kind of slip out.
I then cook for about 1min 30 seconds or until it looks done.

Probably a delia smith technique. Oh yes also a splash of vinegar in the water helps too but just a teaspoon or so.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds great!! Can I drink the champagne? Just kidding. I like the description!! Maybe it's that in the shell thing that makes all the difference and holds it together more. Mine always spread out too much. I'll give it a go!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds great!! Can I drink the champagne? Just kidding. I like the description!! Maybe it's that in the shell thing that makes all the difference and holds it together more. Mine always spread out too much. I'll give it a go!!
Also very fresh eggs work best and probably at room temp (although I usually keep mine in the fridge).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love poached eggs too - but I find the texture very very odd when the eggs are cooked in water that's had vinegar added. Tough rather than tender, if you see what I mean.

I use very fresh, refrigerated eggs, slide them gently into a large frying pan full of boiling water, bring back to the boil, turn the heat off, wait until the whites of the eggs are opaque, then very gently turn them over with a spatula/plastic fish slice thingy. I leave them for about a minute, then hoik them out one by one with the fish slice and blotting each egg well all over in turn (very gently so as not to break the beautifully runny yolk) with some kitchen paper....... because the only thing worse than a vinegary poached egg is a poached egg served in a puddle of water!

Yum!

:)

PS Add salt, black pepper and perhaps - if your name is @Kristin251 - avocado to taste.....

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Helpful hint Use a deep pan, add a splash of vinegar, swirl the water round with a spoon, then chuck the egg in, it will initially sink towards the bottom them float back again , if they spread out too much its largely because they are older . I threw five into one pan this morning one after the other, doing it this way , cooking them all at once, all five were perfect - People were quite impressed !

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love poached eggs too - but I find the texture very very odd when the eggs are cooked in water that's had vinegar added. Tough rather than tender, if you see what I mean.

I use very fresh, refrigerated eggs, slide them gently into a large frying pan full of boiling water, bring back to the boil, turn the heat off, wait until the whites of the eggs are opaque, then very gently turn them over with a spatula/plastic fish slice thingy. I leave them for about a minute, then hoik them out one by one with the fish slice and blotting each egg well all over in turn (very gently so as not to break the beautifully runny yolk) with some kitchen paper....... because the only thing worse than a vinegary poached egg is a poached egg served in a puddle of water!

Yum!

:)

PS Add salt, black pepper and perhaps - if your name is @Kristin251 - avocado to taste.....

If you use a deep pan of water instead of a frying pan , you don't need to turn them over because they will sink first, so when they come up the top is already cooked like the bottom . In practice if the water is deep enough the vinegar isn't needed wither - I sometimes stick it in but often just don't bother.