What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
5.1 and 5.2 the last two days.
Down from 7+ at the start of the week.
Rigorous very low carbohydrate and no treats.
Still difficult to contemplate no treats forever.
Next two days 5.7 and 6.1. So sequence 5.1, 5.2, 5.7, 6.1.
I haven't changed what I eat and drink but I have been missing my brisk 4 mile walk because of a tender knee.
Off the exercise today as well; let us see what tomorrow's reading is.
I am now wondering if the brisk walking depletes my glucose stores in the liver, and without the exercise the stored build up again very slowly leading to overnight liver dumps.

D

Diabeticliberty

thanks lxarix do you find your libre readings lower than your finger prick readings mine vary about 2.5mmol:)

Lady K, most of the sensors that I have used to date have had greater discrepancies than 2.5mmols from my finger prick blood tester.Even the ones that have been more accurate sometimes just wander off like wayward kittens. Sometimes they come back and sometimes they just fall off the edge of the world.

Reactions: karen8967
D

Diabeticliberty

I haven't changed what I eat and drink but I have been missing my brisk 4 mile walk because of a tender knee.
I am now wondering if the brisk walking depletes my glucose stores in the liver, and without the exercise the stored build up again very slowly leading to overnight liver dumps.

With the greatest of these readings are quite close together. Discrepancies in your meter could account for some or most of the differentials. I don't wish to interfere with your management regime but they are extremely respectable numbers that most diabetics would be extremely happy with :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lady K, most of the sensors that I have used to date have had greater discrepancies than 2.5mmols from my finger prick blood tester.Even the ones that have been more accurate sometimes just wander off like wayward kittens. Sometimes they come back and sometimes they just fall off the edge of the world.
Your telling me the good thing about the libre is that it shows you trends as when bgs are rising or falling i will continue with finger pricking for more accuracy and the libre as a continuos bk up if that makes sense also i got a half unit pen which will be better once i get the cartriges for it

Reactions: geefull and ziggy_w

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thats a very interestng theory, plausible one too

Reactions: ziggy_w

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks lxarix do you find your libre readings lower than your finger prick readings mine vary about 2.5mmol:)
The readings can be off quite a by within the first 24 hours. The sensor takes bit of time to properly calibrate. There so,e good threads here about using the Libre.

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Whilst being dragged round the local Costco today and its shelves heavily stacked with Christmas goodies i went off on a mental tangent. What single characteristic is vital for all diabetics.. ? My conclusion - WILLPOWER or SELF-DISCIPLINE

Got more than a bit depressed in their bakery section and quite a few other places but with the extravagant amounts of sugar in so many products one just has to say no if wishes to maintain some semblance of BG control.

Thats the theory but in practice it aint all that easy. So will go and do a 10mile run on the treadmill tonight whilst watching a few more episodes of Star Trek Deep Space Nine. What a life.!

Rant over folks.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst being dragged round the local Costco today and its shelves heavily stacked with Christmas goodies i went off on a mental tangent. What single characteristic is vital for all diabetics.. ? My conclusion - WILLPOWER or SELF-DISCIPLINE

Got more than a bit depressed in their bakery section and quite a few other places but with the extravagant amounts of sugar in so many products one just has to say no if wishes to maintain some semblance of BG control.

Thats the theory but in practice it aint all that easy. So will go and do a 10mile run on the treadmill tonight whilst watching a few more episodes of Star Trek Deep Space Nine. What a life.!

Rant over folks.

Going grocery shopping is often when I get fed up - but I just remember how rubbish I feel after a carb fest - and usually do my shopping online :))

Reactions: ziggy_w and Ymdawd

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A liver dumping fbg 7.6 just now but been awake and up for an hour. So I took my tummy med at 0330am to gain air sickness. Hoping to nod off back to sleep til school run 0730 alarm soon. Where I'll retest. Having some great 5s this past week. Metformins benefit with basal insulin thou.
Seeing dn on tuesday. Only lost a few kgs since last appointment. Slowing down for Crimbo.
Hoping for a Waitrose or M&S christmas day indoor picnic this Christmas. Not cooking turkey and trimmings. No dishes is a great Christmas present, for the whole household.
Oh I feel the Christmas spirit in the north-east, already. Great for kids.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Rant over folks.
You must find a happy medium which is long lasting and do-able. Why set yourself up for a fall when everyone is entitled to a treat filled christmas. Get on-line low carb treats in. Stock up now to help fill those gaps. You're entitled to enjoy xmas to.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Ymdawd
D

Diabeticliberty

ללא שם: יום טוב לך כל נוצות שלי נוצה סוכרתית אקזוטיים. This morning I stuck my diabetic laundry in the great freaky hypoglycaemic washing machine. Sadly the colours all ran and I have a large blue stain on the bum of my spiderman pyjamas. If you squint your eyes it resembles the number 3.7. How very spooky my waking blood sugars were also 3.7mmols. May you all have a soap sud filled day.

D

Diabeticliberty

Rant over folks.

I know it isn't easy. Not for you not for any of us here. The thing is though you are not daft. You are extremely clued up and extremely motivated. You know what you have to do and how you have to do it. Self denial is the most difficult human trait to have to force yourself through. If you wanna make it a little easier then stay the hell out of Costco bakery

Reactions: Ymdawd

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't suppose the farty dog sits near your chair? Maybe that's why you sleep so well before you go to bed!
OMG KOT...hadn't thought of that...he sits opposite...perhaps I ought to move him upstairs...he's sulking like mad this morning...says I've shamed him publicly.

Attachments

• 14753431_1747534922162010_4068038958023782692_o (1).jpg
    14753431_1747534922162010_4068038958023782692_o (1).jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 153

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...spent hours baking yesterday...off on a rare visit to our office in London...laden with home made apple tarts three & a half dozen....2 dozen triple chocolate brownies...should keep them occupied while I deliver my paperwork...put some invoices in...then make a run for it...sampled a couple...delicious (don't do that often)...after along walk with Harry relieved to be at 4.5...this morning woke to a 5.5

D

Diabeticliberty

Day “x” of the on going battle BG 5.3 at 6.49am. Its like being on a permanent roller coaster. LOL

The Day X offensive has gotten off to a flyer. 5.3 is a fine old waking number. Have a fantastic day my friend.

PS Curzon Dax is the finest looking female on this or indeed any other planet or any of the deep space stations :)

Reactions: Ymdawd