What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Somehow didn't manage to post the last few days and to be honest I don't remember anymore what I had on Sunday.

On Sunday, I woke up with fasting blood sugars of 6.1 -- which has been the highest I've started measuring my blood sugars (approx one and a half years). I have to admit that I have been hitting the red wine quite regularly over the last three months -- maybe this has something to do with it (given that alcohol can lead to fatty liver and that fatty liver is a fundamental problem for T2s). So, I have decided to lay off the wine for a bit (and to increase my exercise to get rid of some of the potential liver fat).

So, here it goes ...

Monday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. Half a low-carb roll with butter.

Lunch: A wiener sausage. A small portion of low-carb chocolate mousse with whipped cream.

Dinner: Cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan. Two lamb filets with sauce Bernaise and guacamole. Another small portion of low-carb chocolate mousse with whipped cream.

Drinks: No wine, only carbonated water.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 -- your Xmas dinner sounds delicious. I have to admit I'm a teensy bit envious.

So far, increasing exercise and stopping the wine has worked -- fasting blood sugars have been between 4.8 and 5.1 for the last three days.

Tuesday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. A wiener sausage.

Lunch: Half a low-carb roll with cream cheese and smoked sockeye salmon. A small portion of chocolate mousse with whipped cream.

Snack: A small piece of Basque cheese and some raspberries.

Dinner: A homemade soup with calf tail and Brussels sprouts. A small portion of scrambled eggs with fennel, mushrooms and a bit of truffel butter. Another small portion of chocolate mousse and whipped cream.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

On my way home after Christmas at my Dad’s.

Breakfast - none
Lunch - smoked salmon, cold lamb with a side salad of spinach, rocket, tomato, avocado and mayonnaise. Followed by Oppo chocolate and hazelnut ice cream with cream.
Dinner - Five Guys at Birmingham New Street Station. Bunless cheeseburger with lettuce tomato onions and mayonnaise.

Looking forward to getting home.

Reactions: heh and ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.9 FBG 6.3. Still have a lingering cough and sore arms but feel OK. Oh and I still have my black eye.
B. Lidl high protein roll with Philly and mortadella. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Still on turkey with stuffing, chipolatos, parsnip and spinach and finally!! Had that Bailey's. Both boys are staying tonight. Thanks to the youngest one I needed that Bailey's.
Tomorrow we are going to Shrek the Musical. @Goonergal boys had decided they'd like to go to Five Guys after the theatre but they've now changed their minds and want to go to TGI Fridays because the make animal balloons??

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wednesday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: Two wiener sausages, half a low-carb roll with butter, a small portion of chocolate mousse with whipped cream.

Dinner: The other half of the low-carb roll with butter, a cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan, homemade soup with calf tail and Brussels sprouts.

Reactions: heh and Goonergal

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday
Tea
B: Bacon & egg on Burgen
L: Turkey & salad on a Lidl low GI roll
A few Celebrations
D: Out at local pub/restaurant. Prawn cocktail, steak Romana with lots of veg a a few new potatoes. A G&T and 2 glasses of vino.
Medicinal vanilla cognac before bed cos we've all got the lurgy and I was starting to feel like **** :(

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

After posting yesterday I succumbed to two 10g bags of Penn State sour cream and chive pretzels on the train. BG was exactly the same 2 hours later, but have been slightly higher than normal all day today.

Coming home to a very cold flat I also experimented with making some low carb hot chocolate - teaspoon dark cocoa powder, 250 ml unsweetened almond milk, teaspoon of Erythritol and a dash of cream. Didn’t quite hit the spot - not chocolatey or creamy enough, so will need to refine the recipe.

Today was a fasting day, so no breakfast or lunch. Dinner was fathead pizza with pepperoni topping followed by 4 squares Lindt 90%.

Plan to do a bit of baking (never been a baker) and paging @maglil55 and @ziggy_w for advice. If a recipe suggests 200g caster sugar, what quantity of Erythritol should I replace it with? I’m not aiming for it to be too sweet as I seem to be losing my sweet tooth. If it helps, this is the recipe I want to adapt:

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-olive-oil-cake

Thanks!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Goonergal,

Wonderful to see that the pretzels hardly impacted your blood sugars at all. It seems that your body is now able to deal with carbs a lot better.

When baking I tend to use xylitol rather than erythritol, so I had to google a bit. Erythritol has about 70% the sweetness of table sugar, so if you replace it 1:1, the cake should turn out less sweet than in the original recipe. Maybe you could use it as a starting point and see if the sweetness suits you. The second time around, you can increase or decrease the amount of erythritol.

Let me know how it turns out.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Goonergal,

Wonderful to see that the pretzels hardly impacted your blood sugars at all. It seems that your body is now able to deal with carbs a lot better.

When baking I tend to use xylitol rather than erythritol, so I had to google a bit. Erythritol has about 70% the sweetness of table sugar, so if you replace it 1:1, the cake should turn out less sweet than in the original recipe. Maybe you could use it as a starting point and see if the sweetness suits you. The second time around, you can increase or decrease the amount of erythritol.

Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks. I will try 1:1 and see how it goes. Planning on baking on Saturday so will let you know.

Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

After posting yesterday I succumbed to two 10g bags of Penn State sour cream and chive pretzels on the train. BG was exactly the same 2 hours later, but have been slightly higher than normal all day today.

Coming home to a very cold flat I also experimented with making some low carb hot chocolate - teaspoon dark cocoa powder, 250 ml unsweetened almond milk, teaspoon of Erythritol and a dash of cream. Didn’t quite hit the spot - not chocolatey or creamy enough, so will need to refine the recipe.

Today was a fasting day, so no breakfast or lunch. Dinner was fathead pizza with pepperoni topping followed by 4 squares Lindt 90%.

Plan to do a bit of baking (never been a baker) and paging @maglil55 and @ziggy_w for advice. If a recipe suggests 200g caster sugar, what quantity of Erythritol should I replace it with? I’m not aiming for it to be too sweet as I seem to be losing my sweet tooth. If it helps, this is the recipe I want to adapt:

Thanks!
I agree with @ziggy_w - I would go 1:1. Like ziggy I tend to use xylitol and I'd go a bit under with that. I taste the mix. Reminds me of childhood and getting to lick the bowl so taste it and see.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.2 FBG 5.8. I've had a few peaks in the 8's today thanks to the boys stressing me out. No 1 is fine excepted he ends up tired due to his pesky little brother. I'm shattered because little brother got up at 3.20am and woke everyone up having decided it was good morning time. He was marched back to bed and threatened with dire consequences if he budged again without being told it was morning (he didn't move again). Not being cruel this was the tip of the iceberg. That boy is a nightmare at bedtime. Took another 30 mins to settle big brother again and another hour after that before I got back to sleep.
B. Lidl toasted high protein roll with lurpack and pate pate the fruity one. I can eat this one handed. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing was heading out to Shrek.
D. Ended up in TGIs with a bunless cheeseburger, tablespoon of coleslaw and a mixed salad with a diet coke I would dearly have liked a large vodka in. Had a taste of Hubby's sesame chicken strips which were nice.
No 1 was fine - as for No 2! The first part of Sherk the Musical he was great - it was everything else, nightmare going to bed and everywhere else. Hubby swears he's not coming out with us again unless he is at least 25!
One large Bailey's later I feel fine. At least No 1 enjoyed it and was looking forward to telling Mum and Dad all about it.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thursday ...

Breakfast: Two double espressos with cream and xylitol. Half a low-carb roll with goat cream cheese and smoked sockeye salmon.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Duck breast with a bit of low-carb maple syrup, sweet-and-sour cabbage, a zucchini-onion-potato-fiber fritter. A large portion of low-carb chocolate mousse and a bit of whipped cream.

The fifth day without wine and increased exercise. So far, it's been working. Blood sugars are about half a mmol lower.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Thanks!
That recipe sounds great. I may get my daughter to try that (she's the baker in our house)

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday
Tea
B: Some Tesco Bircher muesli & raspberries with skimmed milk
L: Last of the turkey & stuffing
T: Ham & cheese omelette
Medicinal cognac, water, tea, coffee, apple juice & lemsip during the day.
Occasional paracetamol cos felt like **** all day

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday
Tea
B: Some Tesco Bircher muesli & raspberries with skimmed milk
L: Last of the turkey & stuffing
T: Ham & cheese omelette
Medicinal cognac, water, tea, coffee, apple juice & lemsip during the day.
Occasional paracetamol cos felt like **** all day
How are you now? I've been on the paracetamol for this cold and achy shoulders/arms. Getting back to Aqua Fit seems to have worked some of the kinks out though.

Reactions: ziggy_w and heh

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.3 FBG 7.1 after my stressful day with the boys and a very large Bailey's. Returned to more normal territory today.
B. Lidl high protein roll with lurpack and pate pate the fruity one. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Picked up a gammon joint which is heading for the Instant Pot with ginger ale. I'll glaze it with low sugar marmalade and 20 mins in oven to finish. Mash for the carbaholics and I have a selection of cauliflower cheese, spinach, parsnip and mashed Swede.
Nice to get back to Aqua Fit today.

Reactions: Goonergal and heh

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How are you now? I've been on the paracetamol for this cold and achy shoulders/arms. Getting back to Aqua Fit seems to have worked some of the kinks out though.
Still feeling $h1tty, I've had a couple of naps on the settee today. Hubby & daughter both had it too. Thanks for asking.
Glad you got back to Aqua fit.