What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I mix this
https://www.kokodairyfree.com/product_specifications/unsweetened_calcium_chilled_/ and this
https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produ...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMW1tIPotNgCFYcC0wodOKAANQ
50:50 ish with 1 heaped tsp cocoa powder, erythritol 1 drop liquid stevia and heat in a pan, I beat it with a balloon whisk to get it well mixed and frothy
If I want it more choclaty, I grate in some of this
https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Willies-Cacao-100-Carenero-Cacao/39350011 Which also makes it somewhat thicker
If i want it creamier, then I replace some of the Koko milk with some of this,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grace-Premium-Coconut-Milk-Litre/dp/B00CPMJCAK

Thanks. I like the look of the cacao - noticed it in Waitrose earlier this week but didn’t take the plunge. Maybe I will now. Not keen on coconut, however, so still working on the hot chocolate recipe. Might just add a lot more cream!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening. Another fasting day today so no breakfast or lunch, but I did make it to the gym this morning.

Dinner was pan fried sea bream fillet with lemon chervil butter with a side of cauliflower cheese. Followed up with some more of my chocolate cake and cream and 20g Lindt 90%.

Wishing everyone a very happy new year.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. I like the look of the cacao - noticed it in Waitrose earlier this week but didn’t take the plunge. Maybe I will now. Not keen on coconut, however, so still working on the hot chocolate recipe. Might just add a lot more cream!
A little goes a long way with the cacoa. Sometimes I use that on its own rather than any cocoa powder and it gives a nicer result - only problen is that i started off shaving shards the cacao with a y shaped peeler and twice managed to shave chunks off my fingers - I use a mini grater now!

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - 30g Aldi Paleo muesli with coconut milk
L- 1/2 portion homemade lamb and spinach curry with 1/2 Low carb Lavash bread and rocket
D - fried some raw king prawns in butter with asparagus tips and lemon juice, added 1 tbsp chinese garlic and chilli sauce, served with rocket
Drinks - 2 x dairy free cocoa, 2 litres sparkly water
Snack - 15g wasabi almonds
980 cals 22g carbs

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Milky coffee
B: Bacon & egg butty on co-op wholemeal seeded bread, tea.
L: Turkey & veg soup in Debenhams
T: Tesco finest party food, prosecco, prosecco, prosecco

Happy New Year everyone, all the best for 2018

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow! I had no idea (this time last year I didn’t even know about this forum). Congrats on your progress - and happy new year!
I'd been a member of the forum for years but stopped posting. I was well controlled until I went into 18 months of extreme stress which was probably more than most people would endure in a lifetime. I ended up ignoring my own health and focusing on everyone else. 19.7 was the wake-up I needed. In less than a week I got to 9.8 but it was a lot of hard work after that to get back into normal range again.
I'm starting next year in much better shape than last year but still a way to go.
Happy New Year everyone.

PS Fathead sausage rolls are pretty good. I sprinkled sesame seeds on them.
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/fat-head-sausage-rolls/

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Due to tummy upsets over the last couple of weeks, i’m entering a few days of just protein (since it seems to be the only thing i’m digesting at the mo)

So yesterday
B: a scrambled egg and a rasher of bacon
D: small bowl of homemade chicken soup and one Godiva choc

Today
B: none
L: bowl homemade chicken soup and one Godiva choc
D: a slow cooked lamb shank and one Godiva choc

Reactions: maglil55 and heh

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Due to tummy upsets over the last couple of weeks, i’m entering a few days of just protein (since it seems to be the only thing i’m digesting at the mo)

So yesterday

Today
Hope your tummy settles down

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

So yesterday

Today
We were on the chicken soup last week. Hubby has made broth for today. Bit more carby but still good.

Reactions: ziggy_w and heh

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy New Year to you all.

@maglil55 -- Great achievement getting your blood sugars in range. It must have been quite scary to see 19.7. (Though mine were probably similarly high when first diagnosed).
@Brunneria -- Hope you feel better soon.

Sunday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: Half a low-carb roll with butter and some beef salami.

Dinner: Cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan. two small pieces of homemade low-carb flatbread topped with spinach, garlic, onion and sour cream and cheese and put under the broiler. Four small lamb cutlets. A small piece of homemade low-carb sacher torte.

Also had two glasses of dry red wine today -- first after after abstaining the entire week. I really enjoyed the wine. Let's see what my fasting levels will be tomorrow.

Hope you all have fun celebrating and welcoming the New Year tonight.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening. Another fasting day and another gym day.

No breakfast or lunch. Dinner was Diet Doctor salmon zoodles followed by an indulgent dessert of chocolate chia pudding and a portion of my chocolate cake with cream, I didn’t plan my dessert making too well so as of today had 3 portions of chocolate chia pudding and 4 portions of cake left!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy New Year everyone. Got to be honest, I prefer Christmas to New Year. There is something very sad about the passing of a year. @ziggy_w yes , correct 19.7 is scary but serious low carbing got it to single figures in under a week plus at the time I believe a lot of it was stress related due to family illnesses. Anyway, as I said I start this year in better shape than last. I still get occasional blips but nothing I can't control. I'm 1st lighter than this time last year - still a way to go but apart from 3lbs gained when I was away in October 2017 (which I lost again) I don't put weight on - it is just really slow to come off. One of these days......
Bed 6.7 FBG 7.1 - off the Baileys now so that should improve again.
B. Was heading into the 8's with DP so I had a cooked breakfast that restored normal order. 2 turkey rashers, fried egg, mushrooms and 3 cherry tomatoes.
L. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream
D. 2 thin Slices roast pork leg, 6 mini chicken skewers, 3 oz Bavarian smoked cheese.
I have strawberry chia pudding in the fridge so might have some later.
Time to get organised with meals again I think.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B- 40g Aldi paleo muesli with unsweetened almond milk
L - 1/2 portion homemade lamb and spinach curry with 1/2 low carb Lavash bread
D - homemade prawn and vegetable stirfry
Snacks - 15g wasabi almonds, 1 tsp peanut butter, 5g dark chocolate
Drinks - 2 unsweetened almond and Koko milk cocoa, sparkly water
885 cal 24g carbs
Today is day 1 of wearing my first libre sensor - interesting. The days readings have all been in the 5.5- 7.7range which is ok but the strange bit was a 1.8mmol jump after a tiny piece of choc - Ill have to experriment with that one again me thinks!

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tea
B: Out. 2 bacon, 2 sausage, 2 eggs, beans, tinned tom, fried slice & tea
No lunch
T: Small sherry. Slow cooker roast beef, 3 small roasties, carrots, cabbage, 2 yorkies, gravy & as I've got my mojo back 3 glasses of vin rouge :D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 3 of this (almost) zero carbing thing - which seems to be helping my tummy tremendously! :happy:

B: 2 egg omelette with a mushroom
L: small bowl homemade chicken soup
D: lamb shank
Supper: a chunk of corned beef and a slice of the most amazing mature Gruyere. What flavour layers!

You may have noticed that my appetite is coming back. :D

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B- 40g Aldi paleo muesli with unsweetened almond milk
L - 1/2 portion homemade lamb and spinach curry with 1/2 low carb Lavash bread
D - homemade prawn and vegetable stirfry
Snacks - 15g wasabi almonds, 1 tsp peanut butter, 5g dark chocolate
Drinks - 2 unsweetened almond and Koko milk cocoa, sparkly water
885 cal 24g carbs
Today is day 1 of wearing my first libre sensor - interesting. The days readings have all been in the 5.5- 7.7range which is ok but the strange bit was a 1.8mmol jump after a tiny piece of choc - Ill have to experriment with that one again me thinks!
Have you done a check against your meter? Also did you give the sensor time to settle before activating it? I've been using Libre for almost a year now and one of the first things I found out was for me it was best to give it a couple of days to bed in before activating it. My last sensor I was late putting it on and the first 24 hrs it was out by 4 mmol. Thankfully it settled. Wouldn't be without it though. It is great for seeing what foods do to you.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you done a check against your meter? Also did you give the sensor time to settle before activating it? I've been using Libre for almost a year now and one of the first things I found out was for me it was best to give it a couple of days to bed in before activating it. My last sensor I was late putting it on and the first 24 hrs it was out by 4 mmol. Thankfully it settled. Wouldn't be without it though. It is great for seeing what foods do to you.
Thanks
Yes I left it in for 24 hrs before activating it.
Ive been checking how well it corresponds with finger prick tests and its pretty well bang on - within 0.1-0.2 mmol each time. The only time it wasnt, the finger prick test was 4 mmol higher - my initial reacction was to think “ what the F...!” , then I calmed down, washed my hand and redid the finger prick test and then it was again identical to the libre reading