Weekly weigh in - Fridays

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey hope you are all fine , I am too depressed with my weight , my GP has put my Levothyroxine down so now I gain 1 kg a week and last week even 2,5 kg I am actually angry with her because that was not what I needed as a reward for loosing my initially 34 kg which now is only 17 kg but I hope my metabolism is now too low so I can get my metabolism up again after getting results of blood samples from Tuesday ... my weight has crept up now till 92 kg

do you know what your levels are? Did the gp tell you why it was being dropped? I no longer talk to my surgery about my levo because they are so unhelpful. Although, tbh, I have only ever had one very short phone conversation with a gp about it, the other visits have been with the surgery pharmacist.

I am hypothyroid and its a real pain!

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today I am 66.5 kgs. Cant remember what I was last time, but I think it was about the same. Having a bad week. OH made redundant and its not easy looking for work over 60. It that gap between being too old for finding work but too young to claim any money to retire. So bring on the comfort eating. trying very hard to have just low carb stuff (and oh has made me lovely lc scones!)but its hard.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Progress for me, I think..

Weight wek5.JPG

So weight is up a little. But by the power of technology, I can see the detail..

Wk5 fat v muscle.JPG

Top graph is body fat as a percentage. Blue is where the scales consider obese, red line is healthy, so not that far off target.
Bottom graph shows muscle mass in kg. I noticed that had dropped a bit, so switched my diet for less fat/more protein and some more exercise, and that seems to be working. Water content has been increasing, and I still blame the rain for that.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
do you know what your levels are? Did the gp tell you why it was being dropped? I no longer talk to my surgery about my levo because they are so unhelpful. Although, tbh, I have only ever had one very short phone conversation with a gp about it, the other visits have been with the surgery pharmacist.

yes it is so annoying to depend on others to have a normal metabolism... If you don´t get supplementing thyroid hormones you really should find another GP that will help you up to a normal level, we can actually become depressed from having too low a metabolism and over many years if very low actually also retarded... I am going to see my level myself and then take the dose I think is right no matter what my GP says... I know it is really bad to be too high too and that it can among a lot of others problems actually destroy the bone-density... so no I don´t want to be too high, but certainly I want to be in the top of normal levels which has always been the ideal level for me.... In my country, it is impossible to get the medication in other ways than at your GP, so actually, she is my personal pain and dictator over my life... :meh: and I really do what I can exercising around 8 hours a week also along the time lately where I have gained more and more... burning at least 4000 calories a week at fitness

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sending you a big hug Freema take care maybe some kindness to yourself if you’re feeling a bit down? I do mindfulness and Pilates which both help me . Mindfulness tends to remind me that above the clouds there is always blue sky there I just can’t see it at the moment but the clouds will clear eventually. Meanwhile take care of your emotional health too - stress and depressive episodes tend to raise blood glucose too.
thank you .dear.. mindfulness is really good ... I was so bad tempered last time I saw my diabetes nurse, she is my GPs assistant and also the one to measure my thyroid level half of my bad temper was because I have had troubles sleeping at all lately but well it has already helped me taking my thyroid hormons..in the morning in stead of late night

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

well yes the problem is that metformin can destroy the TSH = thyroid stimulating hormon, and when that is too low it is thought almost robotically that ones metabolism is far too high... because it is usually only produced if one has normal or very low levels. of thyroid hormons.. all in all metformin does make a picture of a far too high metabolism where it might in fact not be too high... and when I usually am in the highest of normal my TSH have certainly seemed to show my metabolism is far too high... which I think is not true

first time I had problems with my previous GP I gained 6 kg a month untill I for the first time in my life became morbidly obese, because he just ASUMED I ate a ton of chokolate every day..:grumpy: and now I am again back to gaining at least 1 kg a week... so anoying

Last edited:

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
well yes the problem is that metformin can destroy the TSH = thyroid stimulating hormon, and when that is too low it is thought almost robotically that ones metabolism is far too high... because it is usually only produced if one has normal or very low levels. of thyroid hormons.. all in all metformin does make a picture of a far too high metabolism where it might in fact not be too high... and when I usually am in the highest of normal my TSH have certainly seemed to show my metabolism is far too high... which I think is not true

first time I had problems with my previous GP I gained 6 kg a month untill I for the first time in my life became morbidly obese, because he just ASUMED I ate a ton of chokolate every day..:grumpy: and now I am again back to gaining at least 1 kg a week... so anoying

My surgery refuse to acknowledge that metformin has any effect on tsh levels. I don't think it fits into the tick box !!

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning. Well done everybody. I was 149 lbs last week and weigh in at 150lbs this week so a gain of 1 lb:(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
yes it is so annoying to depend on others to have a normal metabolism... If you don´t get supplementing thyroid hormones you really should find another GP that will help you up to a normal level, we can actually become depressed from having too low a metabolism and over many years if very low actually also retarded... I am going to see my level myself and then take the dose I think is right no matter what my GP says... I know it is really bad to be too high too and that it can among a lot of others problems actually destroy the bone-density... so no I don´t want to be too high, but certainly I want to be in the top of normal levels which has always been the ideal level for me.... In my country, it is impossible to get the medication in other ways than at your GP, so actually, she is my personal pain and dictator over my life... :meh: and I really do what I can exercising around 8 hours a week also along the time lately where I have gained more and more... burning at least 4000 calories a week at fitness
I'm glad you've made that discussion. ;)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

All thyroid website say sufferers prefer a little higher level of levothyroxine to feel 'normal'. Leaflets in the 90s said the same in UK.
You will turn this around hun.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Good morning. Well done everybody. I was 149 lbs last week and weigh in at 150lbs this week so a gain of 1 lb:(
That could be water hun. Any lergy hovering around you?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My surgery refuse to acknowledge that metformin has any effect on tsh levels. I don't think it fits into the tick box !!
My endo either so I'm not sure where that info has came from. I've took metformin for decades. All I know is levothyroxine is fragile and easily interfered with. It must be taken for an hour on an empty stomach and in diarrhea cases its lost or partially lost. However we never know how much. Daily mechanics ingest different levels from the tablet so often a buildup can be a tad positive but not too much. I've taken levothyroxine since 1992.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ickihun no lergy hovering I hope but it could be water retention but I'm going to have to work harder on losing for next week.

Reactions: Liam1955

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My endo either so I'm not sure where that info has came from. I've took metformin for decades. All I know is levothyroxine is fragile and easily interfered with. It must be taken for an hour on an empty stomach and in diarrhea cases its lost or partially lost. However we never know how much. Daily mechanics ingest different levels from the tablet so often a buildup can be a tad positive but not too much. I've taken levothyroxine since 1992.

Its listed as a problem on the info leaflet with my levo. And it was a pharmacist that first told me about it, when she realised I was on both. But my gp did not seem to think it was a problem. The metformin can lower tsh. It really does not affect your level of t4 or how you feel, it just alters the test. And so a gp will lower your levo because of the lower tsh when in reality there has been no change.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Diarrhea from metformin would cause this. Do you suffer with side effects @Freema ? GP gave me constipating codeine which should counteract mine. So far I'm having far less diarrhea but still evident. I'm suffering it for weight loss. I know furosemide flushing my meds out too but needed for stomach after retention from high doses of insulin and inflammation from codeine and metformin too. I may be having a tad too much vitA. I'm reducing it starting tomorrow.
Thyroxine is better taken very early on an empty stomach so it doesn't have to fend off food etc for absorption. Its one of those sensitive drugs.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Its listed as a problem on the info leaflet with my levo. And it was a pharmacist that first told me about it, when she realised I was on both. But my gp did not seem to think it was a problem. The metformin can lower tsh. It really does not affect your level of t4 or how you feel, it just alters the test. And so a gp will lower your levo because of the lower tsh when in reality there has been no change.
I've taken it so long I must be due to reread the leaflet. Thank you. Metformin one and levothyroxine ones. I know more and more being discovered about metformin. I've just posted a reminder about how it reduces insulin need in the weight loss section.

Reactions: rainbow79

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Seem to be staying steady at 147 Lb at the moment I am happy with that.

Reactions: Prem51