Help! My weight loss has stuck

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Hi, I was confirmed type2 three weeks ago with a second HbA1c of 58, I was offered Metformin but I have refused so far. I have lost 8 pounds and trying my hardest to eat healthy. Can I ask what you breakfast consists of? I used to love porridge and Weetabix but my sugars rocket after eating these nowadays. Tia
I have a light breakfast. I tried a slice of ryebread with eggs initially, but realised pretty quickly that it was too many carbs. Now I have eggs on ham or sometimes celery with peanut butter.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I wonder if perhaps you are under-estimating the calories and carbs you are eating. Nuts, olive oil, cheese, meat fat and avocados are all high in calories. I estimate that I am eating around 20g carbs a day, but to get anywhere near that level I have to restrict even vegetables that grow above ground. I am amazed to find myself even weighing out raw spinach (50g max). It might be worth having a blitz with a carb calculator and a pair of scales just to check. I know that since I started all this last July I have had surprise after nasty surprise as the foods I thought carb-free or low carb were one by one unmasked as not so low as all that.
I confess that I have resisted the temptation to count carbs and calories. I did go a bit mad on nuts and seeds for a time, but it was Christmas so nuts were plentiful in our house. My family think I'm nuts by the way. They have been brainwashed by the 'low carb, low calorie' camp and they just can't see that carbs are the real enemy.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a light breakfast. I tried a slice of ryebread with eggs initially, but realised pretty quickly that it was too many carbs. Now I have eggs on ham or sometimes celery with peanut butter.

My bloods go up to about 7 without eating anything, looks like eggs every morning from now on

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My bloods go up to about 7 without eating anything, looks like eggs every morning from now on
Are you talking about you BG result first thing in the morning? If so it's probably the dawn phenomenon which is usually caused by your liver dumping glucose into your blood to get you ready for the day. It's very common and it is usually the last thing to improve as your BG falls. Don't worry about it too much. There are plenty of tips on this website which may help. (Listen to me, I've only been diagnosed for a few months and already I sound like I know what I'm talking about).:)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in November last year and have been on a low carb diet since.
I was 14 st 2 lb BMI 28.9 at diagnosis. Aged 63
I have stuck to my diet and upped my exercise (Half hour walk, half hour on an exercise bike every day, weights twice weekly and refereeing two rugby games a week). Still aged 63, but that won't last forever.
Today I am 12 stone 9 lb BMI 25.4. I put on muscle mass at the start and now I'm just maintaining it.
I'm delighted with my progress and my BG is falling. I have a HBa1C test next Tuesday.

I eat very little carbs. The only carbs I get are the low numbers in some veg, seeds, nuts etc. I estimate no more than 25g a day and probably less. I never eat bread, pasta, rice or anything sugary. I stopped drinking alcohol after diagnosis.

I'm really pleased with my progress and it is all down to the advice I've had from this group.
The only problem is that my weight stopped falling two weeks ago and it actually went up a couple of pounds this week.
I have not eaten extra fat on this diet. I took the view that you have to replace the nutritian you get from carbs with fat in the long term, but in order to lose weight I needed to moderate my fat intake. I eat a small amount of cheese some days, I don't cut fat off meat and I eat avocados and olive oil regularly. I never feel hungry despite eating relatively little.
So, my question is, should I cut back on fat still further or should I increase my fat consumption? Or is there something else I should be doing? I know weight loss starts well and then tails off, but I really need to get to a healthy BMI and I have to lose at least another 5-6 pounds to get there.

Well done so far !
The latest thoughts are that there is no such thing as a healthy BMI - health comes at all levels when someone is metabolically healthy (ie low hba1c, low insulin low trigs, high HDl) . Interestingly optimal weight for longevity is actually 25-27 bmi anyway - adn as you get older being a little bigger is actually good for you 1
take a look at this age adjusted calculator
I suspect you are already well within the green range ( I'm assuming you must be around 5 10" :)

if your weight stalled it might be because you are still eating too much or it might be that your body already reached its rightful place !
your next step might be to try toning up more - check out Michael Mosley on the bbc this week
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09qjl7d/the-truth-about-25-getting-fit

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done so far !
The latest thoughts are that there is no such thing as a healthy BMI - health comes at all levels when someone is metabolically healthy (ie low hba1c, low insulin low trigs, high HDl) . Interestingly optimal weight for longevity is actually 25-27 bmi anyway - adn as you get older being a little bigger is actually good for you 1
take a look at this age adjusted calculator
I suspect you are already well within the green range ( I'm assuming you must be around 5 10" :)

if your weight stalled it might be because you are still eating too much or it might be that your body already reached its rightful place !
your next step might be to try toning up more - check out Michael Mosley on the bbc this week
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09qjl7d/the-truth-about-25-getting-fit
Thanks
I've been away and only just picked up on this. The problem is of course that there are so many theories about health, diet, fitness and weight that none of us really knows which view to follow.
I set out in November to try to reverse my diabetes. Despite the weight loss, exercise and yes, toning work, I don't feel I have reached that goal. If I eat even a few bad carbs my BG soars. I don't think that you can say you have truly reversed T2 unless your BG stays within reasonable limits even if you occasionally eat too much of the wrong thing. I have read that you need to go on the Newcastle diet for eight weeks or lose a sixth of your body weight quite quickly to have a reasonable chance of reversing T2. I don't feel I would be able to maintain my active lifestyle if I diet that extremely. Instead, I'm hoping that when my HBa1c comes back on 15th Feb it will be in the normal range and that I can keep it normal by never again eating the wrong foods. Does that make sense?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks
I've been away and only just picked up on this. The problem is of course that there are so many theories about health, diet, fitness and weight that none of us really knows which view to follow.
I set out in November to try to reverse my diabetes. Despite the weight loss, exercise and yes, toning work, I don't feel I have reached that goal. If I eat even a few bad carbs my BG soars. I don't think that you can say you have truly reversed T2 unless your BG stays within reasonable limits even if you occasionally eat too much of the wrong thing. I have read that you need to go on the Newcastle diet for eight weeks or lose a sixth of your body weight quite quickly to have a reasonable chance of reversing T2. I don't feel I would be able to maintain my active lifestyle if I diet that extremely. Instead, I'm hoping that when my HBa1c comes back on 15th Feb it will be in the normal range and that I can keep it normal by never again eating the wrong foods. Does that make sense?
To me your current goal makes total sense, much more so than your previous one. It appears to me from my reading that the word "remission" is used by the Newcastle team rather than "reversal" (which is used, I think in ignorance, by many journalists). It seems clear that remission has to be maintained by continuing careful eating plus adding in exercise. That is not what most people would understand by "reversal". However, that is a lot more encouraging than the belief that diabetes is progressive and there is nothing you can do about it, which seems to be held by many health professionals.

“Our findings suggest that even if you have had type 2 diabetes for six years, putting the disease into remission is feasible”, says Prof Michael Lean from the University of Glasgow who co-led the study. “In contrast to other approaches, we focus on the need for long-term maintenance of weight loss through diet and exercise". Quoted from an article in the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/society...t-can-reverse-type-2-diabetes-new-study-shows

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To me your current goal makes total sense, much more so than your previous one. It appears to me from my reading that the word "remission" is used by the Newcastle team rather than "reversal" (which is used, I think in ignorance, by many journalists). It seems clear that remission has to be maintained by continuing careful eating plus adding in exercise. That is not what most people would understand by "reversal". However, that is a lot more encouraging than the belief that diabetes is progressive and there is nothing you can do about it, which seems to be held by many health professionals.

“Our findings suggest that even if you have had type 2 diabetes for six years, putting the disease into remission is feasible”, says Prof Michael Lean from the University of Glasgow who co-led the study. “In contrast to other approaches, we focus on the need for long-term maintenance of weight loss through diet and exercise". Quoted from an article in the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/society...t-can-reverse-type-2-diabetes-new-study-shows
That's very useful thanks. Reading other members experiences has helped me to manage my expectations. I think the situation is confusing because a few individuals have successfully cured themselves in that they can eat reasonably normally providing they keep their weight down. It seems to me (and remember I'm very new to all this) that these 'cured' individuals are the exception and that most of us have to accept that we will never again be able to consume carbs and sugar freely and remain in control of our BG.
I'm resigned to having to eat a restrictive diet for the rest of my life. Hopefully, I will be able to introduce occasional treats once I have reached my target weight, but I will never be able to eat freely again and weight control will be central to the long-term control of my BG. If my GP is correct and my condition progresses, then at least I have tried and a lot of other health problems I have suffered from will hopefully continue to be less of a problem in future. This seems to be a more realistic target than one where I expect to cure myself permanently.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's very useful thanks. Reading other members experiences has helped me to manage my expectations. I think the situation is confusing because a few individuals have successfully cured themselves in that they can eat reasonably normally providing they keep their weight down. It seems to me (and remember I'm very new to all this) that these 'cured' individuals are the exception and that most of us have to accept that we will never again be able to consume carbs and sugar freely and remain in control of our BG.
I'm resigned to having to eat a restrictive diet for the rest of my life. Hopefully, I will be able to introduce occasional treats once I have reached my target weight, but I will never be able to eat freely again and weight control will be central to the long-term control of my BG. If my GP is correct and my condition progresses, then at least I have tried and a lot of other health problems I have suffered from will hopefully continue to be less of a problem in future. This seems to be a more realistic target than one where I expect to cure myself permanently.

I think many people simply do not appreciate the extent to which eating carbohydrates is something that results in spiked glucose for MOST people with or without diabetes. I would suggest that this is because these foods are simply not good for anyone . The attached charts show 6 days of blood sugar readings for 10 sub-elite athletes eating a normal diet. If anyone of us got these readings on eating food we would stop eating that food. The next two show month's worth of data for a diabetic guy eating carbs and injecting insulin and comparing that to simply not eating the carbs.

Attachments

• 5 athletes .jpg
    5 athletes .jpg
    208 KB · Views: 346
  • another 5 athletes .jpg
    another 5 athletes .jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 328
  • blood sugars of person with diabetes eating carbs.jpg
    blood sugars of person with diabetes eating carbs.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Blood sugars of person wih diabetes eating THIS Low carb diet .jpg
    Blood sugars of person wih diabetes eating THIS Low carb diet .jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 207

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My weight loss has slowed down hugely from the start of low carbing nine months ago. I go for the moderate fat approach too. I tend to eat more calories and slightly higher carbs (maybe 60-70 rather than 50-60g) at weekends and that seems to kick start my weight loss each week. I’m only managing 1/2 to 1 lb a week but it’s still downwards :)
Well, changing my diet for a couple of days certainly did the trick. I upped my fat intake for two days. When I weighed myself I was a pound lighter. Then I went back on my original diet and I lost two pounds in two days. The lesson from this- If you get stuck on your diet change it for a couple of days. It worked for me even though I ate a few more calories initially.
Complex things our bodies.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, changing my diet for a couple of days certainly did the trick. I upped my fat intake for two days. When I weighed myself I was a pound lighter. Then I went back on my original diet and I lost two pounds in two days. The lesson from this- If you get stuck on your diet change it for a couple of days. It worked for me even though I ate a few more calories initially.
Complex things our bodies.

I’m so glad this worked for you, keep up the good work!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Great that your weight loss has restarted. BMI is useful but not completely accurate, last week I got into the 24’s, I then upped my weight training put on more lean muscle mass which decreased my fat percentage - this put my BMI up to 25.4, I don’t care. I would recommend weight to height ratio https://www.disabled-world.com/calculators-charts/height-weight.php and waist to height ratio https://www.health-calc.com/body-composition/waist-to-height-ratio and waist to hip ratio https://www.healthline.com/health/waist-to-hip-ratio#calculate.

If you list the “restrictive” foods they tend to be made of a combination of sugar, flour and vegetable fats (garbage). These have been engineered by food scientists to hit the sweet spot in humans. If you also review the nutritional content of such foods, they tend to be empty calories, this is psychological food, not physiological. The restrictive list is modern man made, delicious and pervasive. There are loads of alternatives, over 3 days I finished off in third portions an apple pie, with Greek yogurt and peanut butter - this was home made with almond and fibre flour mixed in equal portions for the pasty and Granny Smiths apples (this was part of a 3 course meal, blood sugars the next day on my regime 3. Something). I also within the last week have had chicken pie, about a 5 inch square portion again made with Fibreflour. There are loads of alternatives.

I just added up the individual items I tend to have in a meal. Main (meat or fish, at least 3 veg), nuts seeds around 10 plus, desert 2 to 3 elements. So I have routinely over 15 elements in my meals and plenty of variety - just ask for ideas on the site.

Reactions: shelley262

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Great that your weight loss has restarted. BMI is useful but not completely accurate, last week I got into the 24’s, I then upped my weight training put on more lean muscle mass which decreased my fat percentage - this put my BMI up to 25.4, I don’t care. I would recommend weight to height ratio https://www.disabled-world.com/calculators-charts/height-weight.php and waist to height ratio https://www.health-calc.com/body-composition/waist-to-height-ratio and waist to hip ratio https://www.healthline.com/health/waist-to-hip-ratio#calculate.

If you list the “restrictive” foods they tend to be made of a combination of sugar, flour and vegetable fats (garbage). These have been engineered by food scientists to hit the sweet spot in humans. If you also review the nutritional content of such foods, they tend to be empty calories, this is psychological food, not physiological. The restrictive list is modern man made, delicious and pervasive. There are loads of alternatives, over 3 days I finished off in third portions an apple pie, with Greek yogurt and peanut butter - this was home made with almond and fibre flour mixed in equal portions for the pasty and Granny Smiths apples (this was part of a 3 course meal, blood sugars the next day on my regime 3. Something). I also within the last week have had chicken pie, about a 5 inch square portion again made with Fibreflour. There are loads of alternatives.

I just added up the individual items I tend to have in a meal. Main (meat or fish, at least 3 veg), nuts seeds around 10 plus, desert 2 to 3 elements. So I have routinely over 15 elements in my meals and plenty of variety - just ask for ideas on the site.
Thank you for these links just used the waist hip ratio one and has made my day as got 0.8 which according to chart puts me at low risk - something positive to add to and balance out next months statins and high cholesterol discussion! I know I have now lost 12cms off my waist during the last four months so this wouldn’t have been such a good result then and proves weight loss is off the right place.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have moved my breakfast from 7 am to 10 am and just that little extra 'fasting time' has kick started my weight loss after a 2 week plateau over Christmas/New Year when I was off work and less active.
Nice idea

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have also found that my weight loss has plateaued and after rapid weight loss from low carbs and low calories that fixed my HbA1c, I was encouraged to introduce more calories to give myself more energy but the only effect this is having is to allow weight to increase. I addressed by returning to low calorie - probably less than 1200 per day and with a 5K power walk every morning to kick start my day I do find myself fatigued but caught in a situation where my weight loss has stalled despite eating as little as I can.
I too would appreciate any advice anyone has on being able to break-out of this torpid metabolic state without adding weight. Ideally I could lose another two stone.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have also found that my weight loss has plateaued and after rapid weight loss from low carbs and low calories that fixed my HbA1c, I was encouraged to introduce more calories to give myself more energy but the only effect this is having is to allow weight to increase. I addressed by returning to low calorie - probably less than 1200 per day and with a 5K power walk every morning to kick start my day I do find myself fatigued but caught in a situation where my weight loss has stalled despite eating as little as I can.
I too would appreciate any advice anyone has on being able to break-out of this torpid metabolic state without adding weight. Ideally I could lose another two stone.
My advice is don't be scared of weight gain under the right circumstances

- building muscle mass
- increasing bone density

Both are desirable and extra muscle mass burns more fat and assists independent of insulin cell glucose uptake.

Reactions: JRTwalker