Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

Old_screw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug self-absorbed celebrities, politicians of every stripe, rudeness and lager.
Thanks for your advice K and ianspurs
I do test after meals from time to time, but not regularly. I eat a pretty low carb diet ( no more than 80 a day) and I exercise with light weights for twenty minutes a day and I walk in excess of 5 miles a day, which is as much as I can manage at my age (77)!
My next Ha1bc is due at the end of March and hopefully that will be OK.
My last in September was 38 and I'm hoping for something similar. I have been diabetic since 2012 and until I stumbled across this site I managed to keep my figures between 47/47 by losing 3 stones and cutting out bread, pasta rice etc., My doctor was quite happy with that, but after reading the inspirational and amazing success stories on this forum, I was not and felt I could do better.
Consequently, I decided to completely change my diet and way of life and embrace LCHF and subsequently lost a further 2 stones ( in my photograph I am wearing a tee shirt that was due to go to the Charity shop because it was too tight!) until recently my morning reading was 5.6 or so but in the last few days it has been between 6.5 and 7.4 with no obvious cause. I will just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Old_screw, post: 1715025, member: 204543 My doctor was quite happy with that, but after reading the inspirational and amazing success stories on this forum, I was not and felt I could do better.
until recently my morning reading was 5.6 or so but in the last few days it has been between 6.5 and 7.4 with no obvious cause. I will just keep an eye on it and see what happens.[/QUOTE]
I would say from your weight loss. ha1bc numbers and exercise regime it is you who are the inspiration. My own fbgs can show puzzling changes then return to normal. Seems to me you are doing everything right and things will return to normal soon. I salute all you have done and your determination not to settle for your GP's complacency.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Looking at your profile it seems your exercise levels demand good nutrition. How much exercise did you do at time of diagnosis and what age group are you in? Love your numbers and exercise so trying to get a handle on some kind of conversation factor for myself as a guide rather than being nosey.
Will respond in other thread as this is low level chat.
I remember when I was super fit and able like you. I wish I'd known about low carb eating then thou.
I am grateful that I effectively have a HCP as wife, so I am managing little injuries well (I have had a left bicep issue for the last 6 months which I really ought to fully rest). Come the summer I intend to really push whilst I am able.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
7.6 so disappointed.
I had 1 square of Lindt 85% chocolate about 10pm, wonder if that did it?
I feel your pain @davidopong

Just one little square should not make a lot of difference, although I have to say everyone is different and react differently.

davidopong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tested before eating and 2 hours after eating to see if it could be something you've eaten like carbs, the 6.5 BG reading if it was the first test of the day could be what is known on here has a Dawn phenomenon lots have this reaction but it lowers generally later in morning depends on what you eat. I'll tag @daisy1 for you while it's been awhile since you where last on here she will send you type2 information sheet will be very helpful to you! K
Indeed, that's very true. I woke up this morning to a 7.2 Fbs. I just checked again moments ago just before lunch and it's 5.6

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just one little square should not make a lot of difference, although I have to say everyone is different and react differently.

Thanks for the reply @Keesha. I didn’t think so either, but I’m quite new to this so still feeling my way.

Do you think it could be the lateness of my evening meal? Usually have it about 8pm, and testing fbg around 7 or 7:30am so less than 12 hrs ( it was pretty low carb dietdoctor chicken curry)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Old_screw

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here in my signature is a link to the Basic Information we give to new members, or those who haven't been on the Forum for a while. Ask questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

Reactions: ickihun

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the reply @Keesha. I didn’t think so either, but I’m quite new to this so still feeling my way.

Do you think it could be the lateness of my evening meal? Usually have it about 8pm, and testing fbg around 7 or 7:30am so less than 12 hrs ( it was pretty low carb dietdoctor chicken curry)
I remember seeing some back to back tests of the same meal eaten later. The later meal did produce higher readings. I eat circa 16.00 - 17.00 (and some times earlier). If you can go for a walk after your meal this lowers blood glucose for sure.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Looking at your profile it seems your exercise levels demand good nutrition. How much exercise did you do at time of diagnosis and what age group are you in? Love your numbers and exercise so trying to get a handle on some kind of conversation factor for myself as a guide rather than being nosey.
Forgot to add I am 50.5 years old, as my kids happily remind me.