What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

@Rachox this is the recipe - as @shelley262 says, with erythritol substituted for the sugar (sure other sweeteners would also work): https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-olive-oil-cake

@Mufflana what is the beef and butter fast? Can hazard a guess, but would be good to have details.

@maglil55 hope you feel better soon

Today’s menu was:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - salami and smoked cheese

Dinner - brined chicken leg followed by lazy mousse.

Hi Goonergal,

It is simple! The suggestion is a cup of mince beef for lunch and dinner with added butter, 3 tbs, having had butter coffee/tea/bovril for breakfast, cream can be added to up the fats if needed. Near zero carb with cream, zero without. Seasonings can be added...herbs, chilli etc to make it taste better.
Have seen people have varying results but all break a stall with it.......a colleague lost a spectacular 9lbs over 4 days and then returned to keto with only 1lb as a rebound. Pretty impressive as she does not have anything like as much as me to lose and very pleased for her as she had stalled for 4 months.
I am looking at it for next week as I know today's loss was just water from dehydration yesterday so in real terms I am staying stable....not unhappy as other changes are noticable but do need to drop the pounds to be considered for the replacement hip.

I will try it and let you all know!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Goonergal,

It is simple! The suggestion is a cup of mince beef for lunch and dinner with added butter, 3 tbs, having had butter coffee/tea/bovril for breakfast, cream can be added to up the fats if needed. Near zero carb with cream, zero without. Seasonings can be added...herbs, chilli etc to make it taste better.
Have seen people have varying results but all break a stall with it.......a colleague lost a spectacular 9lbs over 4 days and then returned to keto with only 1lb as a rebound. Pretty impressive as she does not have anything like as much as me to lose and very pleased for her as she had stalled for 4 months.
I am looking at it for next week as I know today's loss was just water from dehydration yesterday so in real terms I am staying stable....not unhappy as other changes are noticable but do need to drop the pounds to be considered for the replacement hip.

I will try it and let you all know!

Thanks. Definitely worth keeping in mind. Would certainly reduce the food bill, if nothing else!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. A bit late posting tonight. Went out today -- the first time in quite a while. Flu definitely on the mend. Had so much fun today.

@shelley262 -- Am very much looking forward to hearing the results of your potato salad, certainly sounds like a lot of work though.
@maglil55 -- Thinking of you. Hope you feel better soon.

@DJC3, @Rachox and @Goonergal. For my last HbA1c, I worked really hard to get an HbA1c below 5% (31 mmol), worked out for an hour every day, stayed below 20g of carbs and never cheated. My readings indicated an HbA1c of 4.7% (28 mmol), but the lab results came back at 31 mmol again. So, it does seem to be quite a common experience to have a higher than expected HbA1c when low carbing. I wonder whether the explanation might be that our red blood cells are longer-lived than usual because of low carbing? Since the HbA1c assumes that RBCs live three months on average, this might explain our results. Honestly, I believe the way we live is definitely healthier than the average person. So, why shouldn't our RBCs not be longer-lived? Anyway, the positive outcome of my last attempt is that I am way more relaxed now.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Three squares of 88% chocolate. Some tuna salad (canned tuna, mayonnaise, celery).

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Out at a French tapas place. Two glasses of dry red wine. Olives with herbs and lemon oil, nuts roasted in honey and rosemary (was sweeter than expected, so I only ate a third of the dish), baked sesame-coated camenbert (turned out the coating also contained regular breading, so I only had the cheese), escargot in creamy herb sauce and beouf Bourguignon. Snuck a tiny French fry from hubby's dish. Enjoyed the food and blood sugars were only 5.8 when I got home and 5.4 one hour later -- so not too much damage done with honey-roasted nuts.

Late-night snack: Two squares of 88% chocolate.

Edited to confess the French fry.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3, @Rachox and @Goonergal. For my last HbA1c, I worked really hard to get an HbA1c below 5% (31 mmol), worked out for an hour every day, stayed below 20g of carbs and never cheated. My readings indicated an HbA1c of 4.7% (28 mmol), but the lab results came back at 31 mmol again. So, it does seem to be quite a common experience to have a higher than expected HbA1c when low carbing. I wonder whether the explanation might be that our red blood cells are longer-lived than usual because of low carbing? Since the HbA1c assumes that RBCs live three months on average, this might explain our results. Honestly, I believe the way we live is definitely healthier than the average person. So, why shouldn't our RBCs not be longer-lived? Anyway, the positive outcome of my last attempt is that I am way more relaxed now.

I hadn’t thought of that about our red blood cells but who knows? I’m glad to be maintaining my HbA1c in the mid thirties on what has become my new ‘normal’ way of eating. I’m enjoying my food and have a newly renewed enthusiasm for cooking and baking.
I’m glad you’re feeling better now x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late post before I forget - was chatting to a friend tonight who has been lchf-ing for years. He says his favourite pizza base is a beefburger rolled out thin!
I wouldn’t have thought of using meat as the base but he swears by it.

Glad you got the chocolate cake recipe @Rachox. Thanks @shelley262 and @Goonergal. It went down really well tonight, even amongst stiff competition from coffee walnut and lemon drizzle ‘ordinary’ cakes.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
B- 2 LC toast with liverwurst (oh how I have missed thee)
L- leftover curried chicken
Snack- pepperoni
D- taco salad, BP coconut choc square
+ 2 glasses red wine this afternoon (hubby on Easter break, we're having a lovely week)
(Hmm, 33 NCs even with wine. Pleased with that)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262 , @Goonergal , and @DJC3 , I’ve just taken an olive oil cake out of the oven, smells fab, (but it did take 70 mins to cook :wideyed: New cooker with double oven, I used the small oven, maybe I should have used the large one?). A question about it, does it freeze well?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 , @Goonergal , and @DJC3 , I’ve just taken an olive oil cake out of the oven, smells fab, (but it did take 70 mins to cook :wideyed: New cooker with double oven, I used the small oven, maybe I should have used the large one?). A question about it, does it freeze well?

Never tried freezing it - imagine it would be ok. And good idea- I live alone so end up eating it all week!

70 minutes is a long time. Mine takes a maximum of 40, so the larger oven might be a good idea.

Let us know how you get on with freezing.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Rachox

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never needed to freeze it with three chaps in family lol!! Would guess it would but don’t know. It does start to dry out though after a few days so I would try freezing if need to keep it a while. I have given it a quick zap to warm up and serve with cream though!
Edit do mine in main oven takes 45 mins max

Reactions: ziggy_w and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never tried freezing it - imagine it would be ok. And good idea- I live alone so end up eating it all week!

70 minutes is a long time. Mine takes a maximum of 40, so the larger oven might be a good idea.

Let us know how you get on with freezing.
I’ve never needed to freeze it with three chaps in family lol!! Would guess it would but don’t know. It does start to dry out though after a few days so I would try freezing if need to keep it a while. I have given it a quick zap to warm up and serve with cream though!
Edit do mine in main oven takes 45 mins max

Thanks for your answers x Normally there’s just me and hubby at home, but my daughter is home from Uni just now so a slice each tonight, then I wanted to freeze the rest. I’ll give it a go. I froze a low carb carrot cake recently and that froze well.
Warm with cream sounds a good way to serve it :hungry:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

11 days in and zero carbing is going well. Have started to lose weight again (1.8lbs this week, taking me to the 90lbs lost mark) and am also losing inches and body fat. Initially my blood sugars went up slightly - nothing concerning, but FBG was noticeably higher and daily averages up about 0.3mmols. However the past 3 days that’s all reversed, so perhaps just my body getting used to it.

Editing to add that ketones have stayed in the low 2s, despite a couple of aberrations.

Only downside is I find it a bit boring so don’t think it’s a forever thing. Will keep going for now, although I’m away in Edinburgh for a few days from Sunday so may be a bit more challenging.

Today’s menu was:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - kippers with butter followed by 3 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons

Dinner - chicken wings coated in Parmesan and garlic salt. Finally got the quantities of cheese and salt right. Delicious. Finished with another 3 buttons.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all hope good Friday a good holiday for you all
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg fried in coconut oil
Lunch low carb toast, one slice, with a mix of advocado - mashed together with lemon juice, advocado oil, and smoked salmon strips - piled on top
Dinner fried salmon, home made hollandaise sauce (delia Smith) and zucchini fritters ( diet dr) inspired by @ziggy_w but these use psyllium husk rather than potato fibre which I couldn’t find in uk - lovely followed by lemon and lime mousse and glass of white wine......
As it’s Easter may have a bit of 90% choc with my coffee later !
My fibre flour arrived today so bread may be tried tomorrow if time.......

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

11 days in and zero carbing is going well. Have started to lose weight again (1.8lbs this week, taking me to the 90lbs lost mark) and am also losing inches and body fat. Initially my blood sugars went up slightly - nothing concerning, but FBG was noticeably higher and daily averages up about 0.3mmols. However the past 3 days that’s all reversed, so perhaps just my body getting used to it.

Only downside is I find it a bit boring so don’t think it’s a forever thing. Will keep going for now, although I’m away in Edinburgh for a few days from Sunday so may be a bit more challenging.

Today’s menu was:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - kippers with butter followed by 3 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons

Dinner - chicken wings coated in Parmesan and garlic salt. Finally got the quantities of cheese and salt right. Delicious. Finished with another 3 buttons.
Well done @Goonergal

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Blood sugars were a bit higher all day -- maybe going out yesterday was still too early. Fortunately though they are starting to settle now.

Have to confess, I had a DD keto roll with mayo, cheese, and beef salami late last night as I was hungry. So, could have also been this which caused the raise. So, definitely back to having early dinner today.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Two squares of 88% chocolate.

Lunch: A DD keto roll with mayo, cheese and beef salami.

Snack: Two more squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: Explore Cuisine Mung Bean Edamame fettuccine with pesto Genovese, last of the leftover soup, a cornsalad with Caesar's dressing with parmesan and two boiled eggs. A glass of red wine.

@shelley262 -- Yes, I also looked for potato fibers too on amazon.co.uk and couldn't find. My recipe is based on the German traditional potato pancakes and it actually gets quite close. The nice thing is that the potato fibers give it a very potato-like flavor -- without the carbs. My guess would be around 3g per 100g.

@Goonergal -- Really well done. Interesting that you initially observed higher blood sugars, which have now adjusted downwards.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Blood sugars were a bit higher all day -- maybe going out yesterday was still too early. Fortunately though they are starting to settle now.

Have to confess, I had a DD keto roll with mayo, cheese, and beef salami late last night as I was hungry. So, could have also been this which caused the raise. So, definitely back to having early dinner today.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Two squares of 88% chocolate.

Lunch: A DD keto roll with mayo, cheese and beef salami.

Snack: Two more squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: Explore Cuisine Mung Bean Edamame fettuccine with pesto Genovese, last of the leftover soup, a cornsalad with Caesar's dressing with parmesan and two boiled eggs. A glass of red wine.

@shelley262 -- Yes, I also looked for potato fibers too on amazon.co.uk and couldn't find. My recipe is based on the German traditional potato pancakes and it actually gets quite close. The nice thing is that the potato fibers give it a very potato-like flavor -- without the carbs. My guess would be around 3g per 100g.

@Goonergal -- Really well done. Interesting that you initially observed higher blood sugars, which have now adjusted downwards.
Mine were closer to fluffy pancakes with a cheese and zucchini flavour and used onion salt very nice though and tasted carby although they were not - always a bonus!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
B: leftover cold meat, salami and cheese

L: scrambled eggs and smoked salmon

D: Out, had chilli cheeseburger without the bun and swapped chips for a rocket and parmesan salad. Small amount of coleslaw. Glass of red wine.

@Rachox I’ll be interested to see how the cake freezes too. Last time it lasted about a week and was still ok. Agree with @shelley262 zapping in microwave to have warm is delicious, esp with a dollop of cream.

@Goonergal well done with the zero carbing, great results.

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@PW1 how long do you normally microwave your bread for? I ended up with a plate of hot crumbs so perhaps didn’t do it long enough? Or maybe too long?

Hi,

Sorry been away. The bread recipe takes some experimenting. And it seems to come out different every time. If you can tolerate eggs then one egg with 10g of each ‘flour’, plus 10g oil. Trying with and without raising agent - eg 1/2 tsp GF baking powder.

My latest version is below (without eggs):

Starting with a bigger batch sometimes seems to help a bit with being thicker, currently, I have been successful with

10g each of ground flax, ground almonds, coconut flour (so 30g total), with 1/4 teaspoon each of cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda - stir the dry mix together.

Add 20g mix of olive oil, melted coconut oil and melted butter (I’ve started using more fat to help it stick together more, because eggs don’t like me much).

And enough water to bind it.

Sometimes I soak the flax seed first to bring out its “gel”

I’ve also tried it with a tablespoon of Coyo yoghurt added, which works well too, one time it came out really ‘cheese’ flavoured, but I’ve not managed to repeat that.

I spread the final mix in an oiled Pyrex dish. Then microwave it until it is firm in the middle.

I have to microwave it for quite a while. I generally put it in on full for 2 minutes, then check it - it is normally still rather wet at this point, so I score the ‘slices’ and put it back in. I keep doing this until the bit in the middle is firmer - that is the benefit of scoring the slices - it lets the middle cook better.

Sometimes I dry it off in the oven. Or I lift it and turn it over to let the dampness out of the underneath. It is an art that I am learning. And generally each time I get something useable. It generally varies between bread-like and oat-cake.

I’ve tried the other keto bread recipes for DD and KetoDiet.app, but for me they end up uncooked on the inside, so I do the microwave flat slices, because for my ingredients and cooking methods they seem the most reliable.

But for all the experimenting, the variety that the ‘bread’ adds without the BG impact and without the gluten, it is worth it.

I hope this has been helpful. All the best in your bread experimenting.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK this is getting silly. Bed 9.1!! FBG 8 - it did drop overnight and it comes down during the day but I can only put it down to this right arm pain. I did go to Aqua today and oddly I managed to work the pain out but it's back again.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Cheesy Corned Beef thingy with a black coffee.
D. 1/2 a Matteson's smoked sausage and a scoop of Halo Top (Not together!)
So far BGs are holding at 6.4 but the painkillers have kicked in. Swimming tomorrow so we'll see how the arm holds up.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
10283963-664E-4A17-95D4-AAA126F7CAAE.jpeg
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 x boiled eggs with Marmite soldiers made from one slice of HiLo bread followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: Hartleys 10cal jelly and a black coffee.
Dinner: cold roast chicken with salsa of raw cauli and broccoli, coleslaw and pork scratchings, followed by the famous olive oil chocolate cake. The cake was lovely, really filling, will have a smaller slice next time, I can’t move now!