What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
morning every one, 4.7 this morning, trained early again and it risen to 7.4 (which is normal for me before it drops later on) nice run of figures at the moment except for that 17.4, which I still can't work out why it has happened.
Take care every one, and enjoy this magnificent April sunshine!!!!! (not that we can see any what with the fog)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all. 7.4 at 9.15am. Better than yesterday's shocker of 9.1 but wish it would drop below 7. I'm blaming this concoction of pills I've been placed on --oh and stress of course! LOL I'm eating sensibly but inability to exercise isn't helping either. Off to get mum ready for her weekly luncheon club then to do my little bit of voluntary work. Have a fine day one and all.:)
you will get there dogslife x

Reactions: ziggy_w

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Karen good luck with the second part of your course! K
im back home now kathleen .to be honest was quite disappointed basically said the same as last week my carb to insulin ratio is fine and doesnt need adjusting and i knew everything else she was talking about .not that im a know all or anything :rolleyes:i think this course would be more benificial earlier on after diagnosis but thats just my opinion .anyway i hope your keeping well and i bet you cant wait for your hols or happy holidays as my grandson says :joyful::joyful:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
5.7 this morning again. Feeling like the England Cricket and Rugby teams this winter and spring. Mumble gibberish about going through my processes and executing plans and produce epic fails! @Goonergal remember a journey of a thousand Li begins with a single step (even for bunnies). @Mbaker your numbers are impressive and the detail of static bike and weights combo was very useful. Walks off (muttering to himself marginal gains. marginal gains and tactical periodisation)
I can thoroughly recommend this book Black Box Thinking. I spoke to my Mother in Law 2 days ago about this. Although I am happy to be able to get in the 3's My homeostasis is around a 4.6 - 4.8 I feel for FBG without shall we say unusual physical interventions, and my running average somewhere between 5.3 and 5.5 eating my preferred LCHF meals; I would bank this if I could, that's why I push the limits (especially in 2 weeks time, I want visceral fat down to 4).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can thoroughly recommend this book Black Box Thinking. I spoke to my Mother in Law 2 days ago about this. Although I am happy to be able to get in the 3's My homeostasis is around a 4.6 - 4.8 I feel for FBG without shall we say unusual physical interventions, and my running average somewhere between 5.3 and 5.5 eating my preferred LCHF meals; I would bank this if I could, that's why I push the limits (especially in 2 weeks time, I want visceral fat down to 4).
Thanks for heads up re the book. How do you know/calculate homeostasis as opposed to with interventions? Is this any use https://currentprotocols.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/0471142727.mb29b03s7

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.5 even worse... hmm... don´t have gout today... or so it feels maybe it feels when I go out for a walk later today..., hope all of you have a very fine day no matter how high or low or normal your numbers are... life is a gift..:):):)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BG @ 7am was 7.5 and after 30 mins exercise on my bike it went up to 8.3, it always go down after exercise but today it just went up. I don't know

later in your day it will probably go further down, don´t stop exercising ...it pays in the long run.. when you get better at lower numbers from food choice you´ll probably see blood glucose raising a bit when exercising.. that can be perfectly normal and in no way a reason to stop exercising or hold back..

Reactions: heavyd

heavyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bleaching of skin and lies
later in your day it will probably go further down, don´t stop exercising ...it pays in the long run.. when you get better at lower numbers from food choice you´ll probably see blood glucose raising a bit when exercising.. that can be perfectly normal and in no way a reason to stop exercising or hold back..
Yeah thanks a lot

heavyd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bleaching of skin and lies
6.5 even worse... hmm... don´t have gout today... or so it feels maybe it feels when I go out for a walk later today..., hope all of you have a very fine day no matter how high or low or normal your numbers are... life is a gift..:):):)
Good inspiration

Reactions: flexi06

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Am a bit late posting today. Had a bout of pretty bad migraines last night until 6 a.m.(work stress related, but fortunately extremely rare for me) and slept in today.

Blood sugars were 4.8 upon getting up at 11 a.m.

@heavyd and @ianpspurs -- I observe the same thing, when I exercise (usually quite strenuous cardio), my blood sugars go up by about 2 mmol. They then slowly come down within the next two hours to pre-exercise levels. A year ago, they dropped more significantly -- sometimes into the 3s after about 1 hour, but this doesn't happen any longer. Maybe because my muscles now primarily use ketones. It does help with insulin sensitivity though and I tend to see lower numbers in general, so probably worth keeping up.

@Ymdawd -- great low fasting levels today. This is wonderful. Well done.

@eggs11 -- Great result. Congrats. I am so happy for you.

@dogslife and @ickihun -- Big hugs from me.

@Goonergal -- I've generally observed a similar effect of too much protein (especially at night) on morning blood sugar levels. So, I think this would be quite typical. Did you see this talk by Ben Bikman at LowCarb Breckenridge on the effect of protein on insulin in the context of a low carb diet. I found this talk extremely fascinating. https://denversdietdoctor.com/dr-be...vs-glucagon-the-relevance-of-dietary-protein/

For all those of you interested in insulin resistance, this is another really fascinating interview with Ben Bikman. I have learned a lot watching this. https://www.biohackerslab.com/ep42-dr-benjamin-bikman/

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Am a bit late posting today. Had a bout of pretty bad migraines last night until 6 a.m.(work stress related, but fortunately extremely rare for me) and slept in today. Blood sugars were 4.8 upon getting up at 11 a.m.
@ziggy_w Glad the migraines didn't impact on bg levels this morning. Very impressive and caring to mention so many other members. Thanks for the links to Bilkman even if they were primarily aimed at @Goonergal !

Reactions: flexi06 and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w Glad the migraines didn't impact on bg levels this morning. Very impressive and caring to mention so many other members. Thanks for the links to Bilkman even if they were primarily aimed at @Goonergal !

Thanks, this is very sweet of you. Actually, the links were for all those interested in these topics. At the moment, Ben Bikman is one of my favorite researchers.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
im back home now kathleen .to be honest was quite disappointed basically said the same as last week my carb to insulin ratio is fine and doesnt need adjusting and i knew everything else she was talking about .not that im a know all or anything :rolleyes:i think this course would be more benificial earlier on after diagnosis but thats just my opinion .anyway i hope your keeping well and i bet you cant wait for your hols or happy holidays as my grandson says :joyful::joyful:
Hi Karen I went on the Desmond course and felt the same too little too late don't feel I learned much, unlike on here where I've learned so much more from people on here cannot beat it in my opinion! K

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.9 today....carb heavy day yesterday,hubby is very unwell and has been taken into hospital this morning ......still waiting for news,son is with him and daughter is on her way to check on me.

Reactions: karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6.9 today....carb heavy day yesterday,hubby is very unwell and has been taken into hospital this morning ......still waiting for news,son is with him and daughter is on her way to check on me.
Hope hubbys ok and you yourself sending big hugs xc

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hello Glenmac, my good wishes for a speedy recovery for your hubby. Hope it is nothing to serious. Hugs to you and keep your chin up.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
@Glenmac Really hope everything turns out ok for your hubby and yourself,your having a rough time of late both of you. Best Wishes to you both! K