This is crazy, bg in the high 20's after sleep

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, so before I went bed last night my blood sugar levels were at 6.8. Now I've just woke up shaking and all sorts, tested just now and they are 28.4. I am on my last few test strips before I get some more on Wednesday.

My diabetic nurse has shown me a freestyle libre meter at our last meeting 2 weeks ago and she mentioned that my blood sugars should be between 8 and 12, which I don't get and I'm getting really confused now.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
28.4 is out of the nurse advised (generous range) ... just what don't you get?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, so before I went bed last night my blood sugar levels were at 6.8. Now I've just woke up shaking and all sorts, tested just now and they are 28.4. I

6.8 before going to bed is a good number. What did you eat before going to bed?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
6.8 before going to bed is a good number. What did you eat before going to bed?

I had 2 bbq wraps from KFC for my staff meal at half 8, took 34 units of novorapid and went bed at 11pm. I also had a few drinks of squash and diet coke mango

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
28.4 is out of the nurse advised (generous range) ... just what don't you get?

I just don't get how my blood sugars can go that high from being asleep. My nurse suggested to me that I maybe going hypo during the night and wake up to high blood sugar.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I had 2 bbq wraps from KFC for my staff meal at half 8, took 34 units of novorapid and went bed at 11pm. I also had a few drinks of squash and diet coke mango
It seems to me that your answer 'may' lie in what you ate and drank prior to bed? I would not DARE have those!!!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, so before I went bed last night my blood sugar levels were at 6.8. Now I've just woke up shaking and all sorts, tested just now and they are 28.4. I am on my last few test strips before I get some more on Wednesday.

My diabetic nurse has shown me a freestyle libre meter at our last meeting 2 weeks ago and she mentioned that my blood sugars should be between 8 and 12, which I don't get and I'm getting really confused now.

I'm also guessing it's due to your meal, however, in general, if you get an unexpected number which is truly well outside your normal range (as 28.4 would be) it can be good to double check (wash your hands and test again).

Hope you are feeling better soon !

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also guessing it's due to your meal, however, in general, if you get an unexpected number which is truly well outside your normal range (as 28.4 would be) it can be good to double check (wash your hands and test again).

Hope you are feeling better soon !

I feel fine now, shakes have stopped. Just took my morning injections, had a drink of squash and a pot of porridge. Will test again before lunch.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My nurse suggested to me that I maybe going hypo during the night and wake up to high blood sugar.

This is where having the Freestyle Libre would remove the guess work. Meanwhile, reducing carbs and squash would likely have less fluctuation. Good to see you back in the forum. :) Take care.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there @akindrat18 - As I'm sure you probably approeciate, those massive numbers aren't doing you any good at all. How long have you been seeing them? I thought when you were last on things were a goodly bit better for you?

Do you have guidance from your nurse of what to do when you have these big numbers? If nothing else, you need to be able to test at will when using insulin, and not having the strips to test when you are running extreme numbers like these seems like playing a different version of Russian Roulette.

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting things, but if your wraps were your staff meal, I'm assuming you're working at KFC these days? I don't actually think I've ever had KFC, but I understand there may be a couple of options that could be kinder to your bloods - even if just whilst you're having these runaway big numbers. From what I've read on here, the options are wings or drummers without any coating. Of course, I could have got that wrong.

Can you pick up some test strips today? you need to be on top of this.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about adopting a low-carb, high fat diet?

Eating above ground vegetables?

Avoid processed foods i.e. KFC, sweet fruit juices and fizzy drinks, as well as high carbohydrate, high glycemic foods i.e. cereals, potatoes, bread, flour, rice, pasta, noodles etc.

Try these instead -
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Reactions: ickihun

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What sort of squash is it? Just trying to narrow it down, coz the BBQ wraps wouldn't be ideal, but they wouldn't usually push someone up into the near 30's. Might the diet coke not have been diet?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there @akindrat18 - As I'm sure you probably approeciate, those massive numbers aren't doing you any good at all. How long have you been seeing them? I thought when you were last on things were a goodly bit better for you?

Do you have guidance from your nurse of what to do when you have these big numbers? If nothing else, you need to be able to test at will when using insulin, and not having the strips to test when you are running extreme numbers like these seems like playing a different version of Russian Roulette.

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting things, but if your wraps were your staff meal, I'm assuming you're working at KFC these days? I don't actually think I've ever had KFC, but I understand there may be a couple of options that could be kinder to your bloods - even if just whilst you're having these runaway big numbers. From what I've read on here, the options are wings or drummers without any coating. Of course, I could have got that wrong.

Can you pick up some test strips today? you need to be on top of this.

My blood sugars the past month have been a roller-coaster, mainly high throughout the day and then crashing low at night. I've had no input from my nurse on what to do. I've tried to get an appointment with my doctor to get my prescription with no luck today. Even looked at buying some but can't find any.

I've had to lay of from eating chicken on the bone at KFC and try something else as I've been passing really bad smelly farts from eating KFC's chicken. I normally have a salad box, but since they've lowered the staff meal value down to £4, I can't have it no more. Also I don't take my meter with me when I'm working as I've had several meters robbed of me and there are no lockers, so when I feel low I just have a drink of Pepsi which is the only sugary drink we do.

Avoid processed foods i.e. KFC, sweet fruit juices and fizzy drinks, as well as high carbohydrate, high glycemic foods i.e. cereals, potatoes, bread, flour, rice, pasta, noodles etc.

Try these instead -

I've tried it and it doesn't work for me.

What sort of squash is it? Just trying to narrow it down, coz the BBQ wraps wouldn't be ideal, but they wouldn't usually push someone up into the near 30's. Might the diet coke not have been diet?

It's just Robinson apple and blackcurrant and the diet coke was in a bottle.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugars the past month have been a roller-coaster, mainly high throughout the day and then crashing low at night. I've had no input from my nurse on what to do. I've tried to get an appointment with my doctor to get my prescription with no luck today. Even looked at buying some but can't find any.

I've had to lay of from eating chicken on the bone at KFC and try something else as I've been passing really bad smelly farts from eating KFC's chicken. I normally have a salad box, but since they've lowered the staff meal value down to £4, I can't have it no more. Also I don't take my meter with me when I'm working as I've had several meters robbed of me and there are no lockers, so when I feel low I just have a drink of Pepsi which is the only sugary drink we do.

I've tried it and it doesn't work for me.

It's just Robinson apple and blackcurrant and the diet coke was in a bottle.

If you have changed what you're eating, it could be your insulin doses just aren't matching your foods any more. That coupled with not being able to test at work, and just having some fizzy drink when you think you could be a bit low is yeat another level of Russian roulette. If your numbers have been a bit boinkers for the last couple of weeks, does that sort of align with the change in your eating?

You mention your nurse discussing the Libre with you. Has a trial been suggested at all? That would allow your numbers to be recorded, without you doing anything, provided you scan with the reader at least every 8 hours, so that could be useful.

You need more support, that's for sure, but if I'm honest, there are likely to be some things you could do to help yourself too. I'm sure you probably realise that means being a bit more mindful about your eating regime.

Sadly your wrapps are going to be carby, coupled with the BBQ sauce on the meat in it, never mind any other salad dressings and drinks you might be having.

Your employer has a duty of care to keep you safe at work, so you need to have some discussions with them - particularly around the safekeeping of your medical supplies and being able to test.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Try these instead -

There are reasons behind the OP eating non low carb. T1's need control of their insulin as top priority and the understanding of what caused the extreme high.

We do not know carb/insulin ratio's for OP and for me wraps and mango would need a lot more bolus. We dont evenknow if the OP normally eats this and is ok etc.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are reasons behind the OP eating non low carb. T1's need control of their insulin as top priority and the understanding of what caused the extreme high.

We do not know carb/insulin ratio's for OP and for me wraps and mango would need a lot more bolus. We dont evenknow if the OP normally eats this and is ok etc.

Agree, thank you.

I suppose the OP is Insulin dependent T2?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Depending on what your insulin needs are and whether or not your doses are right, a 28 mmol after KFC is possible.....

I had my kfc at 8:30pm and tested before I went bed at 11pm, with a blood sugar of 6.8.

If you have changed what you're eating, it could be your insulin doses just aren't matching your foods any more. That coupled with not being able to test at work, and just having some fizzy drink when you think you could be a bit low is yeat another level of Russian roulette. If your numbers have been a bit boinkers for the last couple of weeks, does that sort of align with the change in your eating?

You mention your nurse discussing the Libre with you. Has a trial been suggested at all? That would allow your numbers to be recorded, without you doing anything, provided you scan with the reader at least every 8 hours, so that could be useful.

You need more support, that's for sure, but if I'm honest, there are likely to be some things you could do to help yourself too. I'm sure you probably realise that means being a bit more mindful about your eating regime.

Sadly your wrapps are going to be carby, coupled with the BBQ sauce on the meat in it, never mind any other salad dressings and drinks you might be having.

Your employer has a duty of care to keep you safe at work, so you need to have some discussions with them - particularly around the safekeeping of your medical supplies and being able to test.

Yes a trial has been suggested and she thinks it will be a good idea for me to have one. I know that the wraps are carby, I still eat carbs as I can't cut them out completely, I still have breakfast cereals or a toasted bacon and cheese bagel thin for breakfast.

I just bought two avocado's and going to have one with a few bacon rashers for lunch as I love them.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Kfc bbQ welcomes in at 32g carbs according to my fitness pal. You had 2 so 64g - was the amount injected correct for that?