What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Mick1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning finger pickers and finger lickers

Lady Vampira is pleased, today 5.7 was the result from ritual blood sacrifice.

I have regained admittance into the 5's club, which I am pleased about.

It is a super sunny Saturday, may you all have the best bank holiday weekend

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and those that are thinking about skinny dipping on this forecasted sunny day.
A 6.5 from me today.
Mrs J has planned a full day for me.
Shame because I'm just about to plan my day out on the motorbike hehehehe.
Edit
No challenges today.

Mick1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone on this thread who can answer 3 questions re training with weights please. 1) is low weight high rep ok for potential lumbar issues; 2) Is it right that low weight high reps is essentially moderate cardio? 3) Should I avoid squats and deadlifts? I would be doing the exercises sitting down on a multi station machine largely.
Thanks in anticipation :)

I am no expert, but perhaps if you want to do any work with weights, you should get one of those support belts with the padded back you see athletes use.

Personally, I would what have a word with the doctors, to ensure you don't do anything that may cause a problem to your back or any of the muscles as a result of changing stance to protect your back when working out

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and those that are thinking about skinny dipping on this forecasted sunny day.
A 6.5 from me today.
Mrs J has planned a full day for me.
Shame because I'm just about to plan my day out on the motorbike hehehehe.
Alf, that number is looking respectable - oh well, one brick at a time!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Mick1959 and DJC3

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Weather is brilliant, no cloud in the sky, forecast says 25 degrees today and maybe 30 tomorrow and most of next week. Life is beautiful.

Blood sugars were 5.3 this morning. Have a wonderful weekend y'all. Enjoy the weather.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@DJC3 I bought and used a weights machine way back in 2015 soon after dx as I read doing resistance and building muscle lowers bg. I think it worked, certainly I could lift or carry more working outside. Resistance training is good for me as a wrinkly anyhow, as we get sarcopenia. The aching and tiredness will pass but take it easy. I'm off for some light weights instead of bike today!
My fbg today was 4.5 and @ bedtime last night ketones were 2.4. Enjoy the sun and

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning crunchers and well done everyone whatever your number
@HarrisonK you'll be relieved to know the sun's going to stay out for you tomorrow
Magical numbers @ianpspurs. The ketones are especially admirable
@flexi06 I'm definitely going to be positive all day despite feeling that I've got a cold coming on so @alf_Josiah I'm going to put off swimming in the outdoor pool.

Madam woke at 5 o'clock and gave me a brief entry into the gang of 4
Startled, I went back to sleep and at 7 o'clock was 6.2 so madam's lost membership of both groups. What a little hussy!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone on this thread who can answer 3 questions re training with weights please. 1) is low weight high rep ok for potential lumbar issues; 2) Is it right that low weight high reps is essentially moderate cardio? 3) Should I avoid squats and deadlifts? I would be doing the exercises sitting down on a multi station machine largely.
Thanks in anticipation :)
Hi @ianpspurs, just read this.
1) I have quite a bad long standing injury to my lumbar region (since 1975) and do low weight high reps using kettlebells.
2) yes - low weight high reps is quite good cardio and I also do HITT with my kettlebells, other light weights will also work.
3) I do squats but not deadlifts. Farmers carry which is walking with a weight in one hand will help strengthen your core, hence help your back.
Have a look at this site:
https://www.gbpersonaltraining.com/top-5-kettlebell-exercises-for-interval-training/
And this page
https://www.gbpersonaltraining.com/13-hip-mobility-exercise-to-ease-lower-back-pain/

Hope that this helps

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ianpspurs, just read this.
1) I have quite a bad long standing injury to my lumbar region (since 1975) and do low weight high reps using kettlebells.
2) yes - low weight high reps is quite good cardio and I also do HITT with my kettlebells, other light weights will also work.
3) I do squats but not deadlifts. Farmers carry which is walking with a weight in one hand will help strengthen your core, hence help your back.
Have a look at this site:
https://www.gbpersonaltraining.com/top-5-kettlebell-exercises-for-interval-training/
And this page
https://www.gbpersonaltraining.com/13-hip-mobility-exercise-to-ease-lower-back-pain/

Hope that this helps
@dunelm Thanks for that it is really helpful. Enjoy the family gathering

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Despite my best efforts a reading of 4.7 this morning. Wonder if it was the roasted veg with cheese followed by chilli or perhaps a nice drop of red. Or perhaps the kumquats?
Off for a wander in the hills today. Have a good one :)

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all
It seems to be bright and sunny everywhere so a good day ahead for all I hope.

5.6 today, very happy. Not sure if it was the 2 glasses of red last night or the extra exercise. I shall continue with both.

Some great numbers today.

@flexi06 I love your attitude.
@Freema have a wonderful day on the island.
@SueJB you’ll be back soon.
@ianpspurs don’t go mad will you? You only have a couple of weeks til your MRI and you only have one back, don’t ****** it up. Your numbers are great as it is.