MAY Fast 2018..... names please!!

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Evening all. I am gracefully bowing out of this one. Have been feeling out of sorts with episodes of low blood pressure, strange appetite patterns for a couple of weeks (reluctantly off to the docs tomorrow) so think it best to wait until I’m back on an even keel before attempting a longer fast. Will be following you all with interest and intend to join in another time.

Get well. I will eat what your not

jasmindesylva

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. I am gracefully bowing out of this one. Have been feeling out of sorts with episodes of low blood pressure, strange appetite patterns for a couple of weeks (reluctantly off to the docs tomorrow) so think it best to wait until I’m back on an even keel before attempting a longer fast. Will be following you all with interest and intend to join in another time.

Feel better soon. Hugs.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear this @Goonergal hope that you get back on an even keel soon

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am starting early due to logistics of the original start date so am currently into 38 hrs. @ianpspurs

Last edited:
Reactions: rab5

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just about to break fast after 72 hours. Final readings were 3.8 bg and 2.9 ketones. Hope you all manage to stay fasted as long as you aim to. I will check in to see how everyone goes. @Goonergal I think you made the right decision and look forward to doing this with you another time.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Just about to break fast after 72 hours. Final readings were 3.8 bg and 2.9 ketones. Hope you all manage to stay fasted as long as you aim to. I will check in to see how everyone goes. @Goonergal I think you made the right decision and look forward to doing this with you another time.

Brilliant job well done BG and ketones are excellent. 72 hrs awesome!

Reactions: ianpspurs

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there any special thread or will we log here?

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
@rab5 How does one measure ketones?

There are 3 ways you can buy a meter that you blow into it picks up the ketones on your breath. There are ketone strips that you pee into ( you need to be a good shot) it changes colour and gives you a score etc
Then you can get a ketone meter, which is the most accurate. Basically the same as you BG meter. Finger prick take a sample

The ketone meters are not expensive but the test strips are :(

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just completed an approx 19 hour unplanned fast - ate a light supper around midnight and started next meal a 7pm tonight finishing about 15 mins ago. I'm quite good at this level of "erratic " fasting, but I don't do planned ones, so wasn't going to join you after the weekend... but I'll add what little data I have if it might be useful.

Robbity

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I've just completed an approx 19 hour unplanned fast - ate a light supper around midnight and started next meal a 7pm tonight finishing about 15 mins ago. I'm quite good at this level of "erratic " fasting, but I don't do planned ones, so wasn't going to join you after the weekend... but I'll add what little data I have if it might be useful.

Robbity

I always mix everything up I make IF decisions on the hoof!

Well done that’s fantastic.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thanks @rab5 hope all goes well for you
I take it you don't like diabetes, as you sure are doing everything to reverse this. I visualise a grim reaper who was tapping me on the shoulder at the start, and gradually putting distance between us, the more effort put in. I reckon your reaper is getting smaller and smaller, well done mate 72 is awesome.

Reactions: ianpspurs and rab5

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I take it you don't like diabetes, as you sure are doing everything to reverse this. I visualise a grim reaper who was tapping me on the shoulder at the start, and gradually putting distance between us, the more effort put in. I reckon your reaper is getting smaller and smaller, well done mate 72 is awesome.

72 ?

Is the US measurements

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Mbaker It is as much about proving to myself and the docs that it can be tamed and others can do it if I can. I guess it is also about loving my wife - my pension will be halved when I die so she will have less to live on. You are giving it a real go as well. I reckon we might both have ingrained that mantra - go hard or go home :***::***:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks. Well done on your 72 hours - great results.