ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It’s very difficult, when you’ve got others to care for, to remember to take care of yourself @ickihun but you really do need to remember to build in some time to care for yourself too and that includes taking any useful meds! Trouble is, as you well know, as do I from experience that if you don’t you become ill. Hug coming your way and a friendly message to look after yourself too.
Thank you @shelley262 :), You're right.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all just keeping in touch and learning from some of the Ninjas on here. I am down by about 2 kgs since last week partly due to a 3.5 day food fast and partly due to last week seeing odd weight readings. @AllieRainbow fascinating reading your account and fantastic seeing your progress, well done you. @Goonergal again sorry to hear about your cramps. I sometimes suffer with those but do get some warning signs so keep ice pads in the freezer and by my bed. The chrome radiator in the bathroom works well - it feels cold and I press against it, I have also been known to use cold shower. @shelley262 glad to hear LDL is coming down and in some ways I am on a similar mission. Currently bmi around 21.5 which is below my desired 22. Fasting for longer periods works for bg control but I fear for impact elsewhere especially while I am avoiding weights whilst waiting for docs to tell me my back is ok.
Very early on I read and retained the message you need muscle to beat this condition don't go below 22 bmi. Anyhow, long post but have a good week everyone.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all just keeping in touch and learning from some of the Ninjas on here. I am down by about 2 kgs since last week partly due to a 3.5 ay food fast and partly due to last week seeing odd weight readings. @AllieRainbow fascinating reading your account and fantastic seeing your progress, well done you. @Goonergal again sorry to hear about your cramps. I sometimes suffer with those but do get some warning signs so keep ice pads in the freezer and by my bed. The chrome radiator in the bathroom works well - it feels cold and I press against it, I have also been known to use cold shower. @shelley262 glad to hear LDL is coming down and in some ways I am on similar mission. Currently bmi around 21.5 which is below my desired 22. Fasting for longer periods works for bg control but I fear for impact elsewhere especially while I am avoiding weights whilst waiting for docs to tell me my back is ok.
Very early on I read and retained the message you nee muscle to beat this condition don't go below 22 bmi. Anyhow, long post but have a good week everyone.
Good tip about ice packs Ian will remember that. Don’t fancy cold shower in middle of night though!
Good point too about the muscle I do seem to be losing upper arm strength at moment and was going to look out some resistance exercises or something to help as can’t even open tins anymore! Never used to be a prob turning into a weakling

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good tip about ice packs Ian will remember that. Don’t fancy cold shower in middle of night though!
Good point too about the muscle I do seem to be losing upper arm strength at moment and was going to look out some resistance exercises or something to help as can’t even open tins anymore! Never used to be a prob turning into a weakling
@shelley262 You look very young and sprightly but I will be 63 next week so I am very aware of sarcopenia and the need for protein in older people. The effect of protein on bg goes against that a little hence my continual tweaking to find a balance. Resistance exercise is supposed to be a must for older peeps - up to 120 mins per week. The good news is carrying shopping, gardening and some housework counts as part of this. Apparently my 2-3 hrs per week lawn mowing also does.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 You look very young and sprightly but I will be 63 next week so I am very aware of sarcopenia and the need for protein in older people. The effect of protein on bg goes against that a little hence my continual tweaking to find a balance. Resistance exercise is supposed to be a must for older peeps - up to 120 mins per week. The good news is carrying shopping, gardening and some housework counts as part of this. Apparently my 2-3 hrs per week lawn mowing also does.
Winner for your young and sprightly comment! Happy birthday for next week it’s my63rd Birthday in August so we’re the same age. I think I’m very fit and active and as a carer am always busy. I think some specific resistance exercises for my arms should do it!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lost a little more this week, 0.2kg, I’m happy, slow and steady and all that. At this rate I’ll hit my target weight (according to BMI) by Xmas 2020 :joyful::hilarious:

Started 115kg 9th May’17
Today 78.1kg 15th June’18
Total lost = 36.9kg/5 stone 11 1/2lb

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lost a little more this week, 0.2kg, I’m happy, slow and steady and all that. At this rate I’ll hit my target weight (according to BMI) by Xmas 2020 :joyful::hilarious:

Started 115kg 9th May’17
Today 78.1kg 15th June’18
Total lost = 36.9kg/5 stone 11 1/2lb
You’re getting nearer the 6 stone loss amazingly well done you !

Reactions: Liam1955

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yay, my weight has been shifted downwards by ½ kg since 27th of May, and it seems to stay there without ups. A couple of days ago I discovered that I'm actually classed as morbidly obese at a BMI of 35.7. I'm glad I didn't know that earlier, but will celebrate with you lot when I'm just a dull old regular obese :)

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all. 13 stone 13 ( 82.1kg ) . A loss of 2 lbs. Total loss of 6 stone from 2013. Or about 8 lbs this year. At a bmi of 24 , I dont have much to loose. Mostly looking for signs of a trim tummy that equates to minimal abdominal fat. Have a good week.

Reactions: Prem51

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. 13 stone 13 ( 82.1kg ) . A loss of 2 lbs. Total loss of 6 stone from 2013. Or about 8 lbs this year. At a bmi of 24 , I dont have much to loose. Mostly looking for signs of a trim tummy that equates to minimal abdominal fat. Have a good week.
Fantastic results and the total loss is stunning. Enjoy the weekend.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay, my weight has been shifted downwards by ½ kg since 27th of May, and it seems to stay there without ups. A couple of days ago I discovered that I'm actually classed as morbidly obese at a BMI of 35.7. I'm glad I didn't know that earlier, but will celebrate with you lot when I'm just a dull old regular obese :)

Fear not! You are merely Severely Obese - Morbidly Obese is over 40 BMI.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What a fantastic achievement!

Reactions: alf_Josiah

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @ianpspurs, @AllieRainbow and @briped for your kind words. I often dig into peoples sigs, it’s tremendously informative and inspiring. All three of you have tons to be proud of. I have never had a high hba1c, as it was never done, even when i had loads of symptoms including fatty liver. I had lost 3 stone before anyone thought to to do the test. So now i just work on keeping the BG down and trying to stay out of trouble.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
So now i just work on keeping the BG down and trying to stay out of trouble.
And I sincerely hold my fingers crossed for you and for everyone else in here. So how were you diagnosed without the test? FBG?

Reactions: alf_Josiah

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And I sincerely hold my fingers crossed for you and for everyone else in here. So how were you diagnosed without the test? FBG?

I did do a glucose tolerance test, and it reached 11.3 , the test was repeated a year later and it was basically flat, it was 6.5 after an hour and 6 after 2 hours. I have been batteling a range of infectious, and it was that more than anything else that we ended on the diagnosis of prediabates. Thats the tricky thing about diabetes, the better informed and proactive the patient the less the numbers are going to be. Dozens of people on this site have haved their numbers. I could probably muster up a hba1c of 50 if i did the opposite to what i do now. Eat loads of carbs and no excercise.