JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Since I had to raise my dosage of preds up to now 20 mg per day my blood sugars have gone askew and yes you tend to put on weight when taking them.

I'm now back to 147 Lb but had gone up above that for a little while, sharp reduction in calories has helped though.
So @Liam1955 hope you are not on them for long and once you stop them things should settle back down.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. From nowhere I have gained 1.5 kgs over a week and mostly over 2 days. At the same time my fbg has returned to trend as has my general bg pattern. I was not especially well or active yesterday and ate more often but had no big meal. I had thought I did not want to dip below a BMI of 22 but this morning 22.3 is a little high so hopefully all will settle to nearer the new normal. Being more active and seeing off whatever ails me should resolve things.

This is the most bizarre condition that most definitely has a mind of its own. Hope you are soon back on track.

@Goonergal I have said before that I think you may be becoming much more aware of your body making different feeding demands. I don't think they are steady state machines, certainly not diabetic ones.

I’m sure that’s right. It’s just that I seem to be having problems finding the ‘off’ button on hungry days. Want to get BMI just below 22 and hope that will mean removal of at least some of the remaining blubber around my middle!

@ianpspurs and @Goonergal hugs but you’ll both balance back I’m sure by next Friday.
I’m meanwhile continuing with my pattern of steadily eating my three small meals a day and slightly less fat - although hungrier yesterday so they were bigger - and am still happily at 9 stone 1 pound, so this pattern clearly suits me and my body. Bgs very steady generally again. I’m hoping the longer it goes on my body will cling to this weight as very happy at this weight.

Thanks! Great that you’ve settled into a maintenance pattern that suits you.

Reactions: NannyP 2

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
29th Jan 2018
323lb (23st 1lb)
9th Jun 2018
273lb (19st 7lb)

50 pound loss

That's the same as a sack of potatoes or

1/2 a hundredweight (well over in the USA is!)

Reactions: xfieldok

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well I have been slowly approaching an Overweight BMI instead of an Obese one. Last week I was 0.4kg away. This week I have lost another 0.1kg. However I have reached Overweight this week because I had an accurate height measurement done at a Research Study yesterday and I’m one and 1/2 centimetres taller than my GP record says! :joyful:
So I am no longer Obese for the first time in around 23 years!
Started 115kg 9th May’17 (BMI 43.5)
Today 78.3kg 8th June’18 (BMI 29.6) :happy:
Total lost = 36.7kg/5 stone 11lb
I definitely agree slow and steady wins the race. Many suffer with burn out.
A steady improvement will always get my vote.
I just wish my body didn't adapt to accommodate weeny changes. I'm guessing my thyroid, what do you think? You have underactive thyroid too thou?

Reactions: rainbow79

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I definitely agree slow and steady wins the race. Many suffer with burn out.
A steady improvement will always get my vote.
I just wish my body didn't adapt to accommodate weeny changes. I'm guessing my thyroid, what do you think? You have underactive thyroid too thou?
Can’t help with thyroid issues I’m afraid @ickihun , I have a few medical issues but thyroid isn’t one of them!

Reactions: NannyP 2

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Can’t help with thyroid issues I’m afraid @ickihun , I have a few medical issues but thyroid isn’t one of them!
I'm sure I'll need less thyroid meds after my op too. Fingers crossed.
Maybe one day my body will just be obedient. Ha ha

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Down 0.4kg this week, so last week’s gain is slowly disappearing. That’s the good news. Bad news is BGs are all over the place and leg cramps are back. Stepping up the already substantial magnesium supplement and water intake. @Rachox I might get some of the magnesium oil you mentioned on another thread.

Reactions: NannyP 2 and Prem51

Glennis67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed three weeks ago and have been carb counting (under 100g) for the last seven days. Got to lose around 10kg. Stood on the scales this morning and my weight is the same! Oh bum. But at least I’m feeling less worn out than this time last week, and I’ve cut down on acid reflux meds.

Reactions: Prem51

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone!

A big drop for me this week:

15/06/2018: 113.8 kilos / 250.4lb / 17st 12.4lb / BMI 37.0
IF continued to target BG, including a fast of 63+ hours
Waist to Height Ratio: 66%
08/06/2018: 116.8 kilos / 257.4lb / 18st 5.4lb / BMI 38.0
Intermittent fasting started this week, eating to a target BG
Waist to Height Ratio: 71%
02/06/2018: 120.1 kilos / 264.8lb / 18st 12.8lb / BMI 39.1
Weight loss had stalled for a couple of weeks
15/04/2018: 129.7 kilos / 285.8lb /20st 5.8lb / BMI: 42.2
Start weight before diagnosis
Waist to Height ratio: 77% (ideal less than 50%)

I started to fast until I got to a target BG reading last week, which has got me out of my weight loss stall, and has improved my FBG from 6.2 on Day 1, to 5.1 today (Day 12).

If you are interested, I am posting a daily update on my experiment to lower BG and lose weight using a LCHF diet and fasting until I reached a target BG here:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-2-fasting-experiment-to-lower-bg.149942/

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and rab5

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No swimming this week due to 2nd throat infection.
So still 136.70kgs. Been forgetting metformin and now a smaller window of opportunity to take it.
I must take with food or I'm in a bad situation. So with insulin 20mins before has my priority. Then I get distracted with familylife.
Must try and ensure 2 per day metformin and swimming in my week. Every week.
See you next Friday after 2 birthdays this weekend.
A life full of no diabetics if much harder than low carers around me. If only I could talk my mum and sisters into low carbing!

Reactions: Liam1955

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Down 0.4kg this week, so last week’s gain is slowly disappearing. That’s the good news. Bad news is BGs are all over the place and leg cramps are back. Stepping up the already substantial magnesium supplement and water intake. @Rachox I might get some of the magnesium oil you mentioned on another thread.
Epsom salts are good too @Goonergal if you like a soak but my mum also recommends magnesium oil. Think these are absorbed better.
Well done on weight though hope bgs settle but pain def puts mine up!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed three weeks ago and have been carb counting (under 100g) for the last seven days. Got to lose around 10kg. Stood on the scales this morning and my weight is the same! Oh bum. But at least I’m feeling less worn out than this time last week, and I’ve cut down on acid reflux meds.
It’s eary days are you checking your bloods often they need to come down a bit to help you lose weight. Personally I had to go lower on carbs to get there maybe measure and check. You will get there and it’s good that you’re feeling better.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
15/6/18 - Morning.

No change for me still maintaining at 12 stone 12 lbs.

Well Done Everybody :).

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone!

A big drop for me this week:

15/06/2018: 113.8 kilos / 250.4lb / 17st 12.4lb / BMI 37.0
IF continued to target BG, including a fast of 63+ hours
Waist to Height Ratio: 66%
08/06/2018: 116.8 kilos / 257.4lb / 18st 5.4lb / BMI 38.0
Intermittent fasting started this week, eating to a target BG
02/06/2018: 120.1 kilos / 264.8lb / 18st 12.8lb / BMI 39.1
Weight loss had stalled for a couple of weeks
15/04/2018: 129.7 kilos / 285.8lb /20st 5.8lb / BMI: 42.2
Start weight before diagnosis
Waist to Height ratio: 77% (ideal less than 50%)

I started to fast until I got to a target BG reading last week, which has got me out of my weight loss stall, and has improved my FBG from 6.2 on Day 1, to 5.1 today (Day 12).

If you are interested, I am posting a daily update on my experiment to lower BG and lose weight using a LCHF diet and fasting until I reached a target BG here:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-2-fasting-experiment-to-lower-bg.149942/
Well done brilliant job you I do read your thread it’s very interesting. I’ve only ever done 23/1 fasting but did it for a month and had only black tea/coffee or water during the 23 hours but never gone over that time limit - much admiration I need to eat something each day!

Reactions: ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all
My mission to target my bad LDL cholesterol but keep my HDL high and Trigs low was tightened up this week but has had an unexpected consequence of causing me to drop another two pounds so now into the 8 stone or 56kg territory and verging on BMI of 19! I’m not keen to be honest I was happy at 59kg and wanted to maintain that when achieved it several months ago - so maybe my current three small meals a day need to be a bit bigger.
Gosh it’s trial and error but I’m right down to my very bony frame! A neighbour suggested I didn’t lose anymore or I’d fall through the gaps in the drain covers! Seriously I know I’m still a healthy weight but really need to work out a personal tweaked method that maintains my low weight within some parameters , keeps bgs low and stable and reduces my LDL. Good news is it works on my bgs! Will keep experimenting it could be just a reaction to a change in diet and will settle again as it has some previous weeks. Hmm have introduced lots of green tea with mint this week mainly as heard it’s good to reduce ldl cholesterol maybe it’s that who knows?
Good luck all

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Hey, don't worry. Then perhaps next Friday you may have lost more than you expect. Like most of us you probably didn't weigh yourself every week when you were gaining weight, right? So you don't know if you gained weight every 2nd or 3rd week either? Sometimes I even gain a couple of kgs in a matter of days, but shrug it of and put it down to fluid fluctuations. :)
You'll lose your 10 kgs, but maybe you need to cut back on carbs a little further? If your BG has improved I wouldn't worry too much.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No swimming this week due to 2nd throat infection.
So still 136.70kgs. Been forgetting metformin and now a smaller window of opportunity to take it.
I must take with food or I'm in a bad situation. So with insulin 20mins before has my priority. Then I get distracted with familylife.
Must try and ensure 2 per day metformin and swimming in my week. Every week.
See you next Friday after 2 birthdays this weekend.
A life full of no diabetics if much harder than low carers around me. If only I could talk my mum and sisters into low carbing!
It’s very difficult, when you’ve got others to care for, to remember to take care of yourself @ickihun but you really do need to remember to build in some time to care for yourself too and that includes taking any useful meds! Trouble is, as you well know, as do I from experience that if you don’t you become ill. Hug coming your way and a friendly message to look after yourself too.