What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Yes, I was wondering that myself. Trying to moderate activity, which is easier in the absence of sunshine, but I am off on holiday in about 10 days time and that always involves a lot of walking!
I've found 3 things give me leg cramp. Lack of water, lack of salt or too much/unusual exercise. Of course figuring out which is the cause is always an issue!

Reactions: flexi06

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
8.5 for me this morning. I don't think it's been above 7 at any point since the starting LCing at the end of March.
I was up at 5am'ish, but didn't have anything at all to eat or drink. Checked my FBG at 7'ish, 8.1 then washed my hands and it went 8.5. Then I decided to stop! :( I'm not really tempted to test now. Had two decent meals yesterday. Green beans, mince pork patty (lunch) and a small pork chop and creamed cabbage for supper.
Sorry, the reply above went in the wrong place. Think I'll just go back to bed again again. I'm not drunk :banghead:

Reactions: OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
8.5 for me this morning. I don't think it's been above 7 at any point since the starting LCing at the end of March.
I was up at 5am'ish, but didn't have anything at all to eat or drink. Checked my FBG at 7'ish, 8.1 then washed my hands and it went 8.5. Then I decided to stop! :( I'm not really tempted to test now. Had two decent meals yesterday. Green beans, mince pork patty (lunch) and a small pork chop and creamed cabbage for supper.
I used to find that my morning sugars levels increased until I'd had something small to eat. I now start the day with water and bullet proof coffee. ) coffee with butter rather than cream - sounds a bit weird but tastes Ok)

Reactions: ianpspurs

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.3 today

The sun is out at the moment! It chucked it down on and off all day yesterday and I seemed to be in 'nibble' mode. I only managed a shortish walk too so I'm hoping to take the little dog for a walk today after Sunday lunch.

@Goonergal - have a hug from me, I used to get cramp fairly often when I first started walking a lot more, in the usual calf muscles of course but also, weirdly, in my second toes and the long muscle that crosses down the front inside of the thigh (that one is an absolute b. to get rid of :arghh:). Thankfully it's been much better since I started taking a vitamin and mineral supplement and soaking my feet in warm water with epsom salts twice a week.

Good wishes to father figures everywhere :) (and an internet hug to anyone who would like one )

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think what Prof Roy Taylor (Newcastle diet) is postulating is fatty liver and pancreas. He argues that if you can lose just one gram of visceral fat from the pancreas then it will improve insulin release. The programme in question was just a bit of sensationalism I thought. No mention of carbs and just images of the fat guy eating burgers.
I did the diet and it is a quick fix if followed by low carb diet. Mind you its also a bit brutal

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6.1 today after a day of hypos, don't know why, went from 6.3 to low on the machine in 45 minutes, I was watching Wales play rugby against Argentina but with that quick a drop I must have been playing lol , have a good day.
i was the same yesterday phil lows on and off all day for no particular reason :(

Reactions: philchap1

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@JohnEGreen I fully sympathise I am often up hours before my Good Lady. In the winter when The Ashes was on it could be up to 4 hours earlier - that's an awful lot of tea! @dunelm I am doing a "finisher" approx 60 hrs fast now and have a big jug of bone broth ready and plenty of ACV to enhance. A supermarket has recently opened near us selling meaty bones and marrow bones. Added to our purchase of and Instant Pot bone broth is now a staple. Oh, and enjoy the bike prep and Father's Day - I used yesterday for mine as there was so much sport to watch.
@ianpspurs, nice idea about adding ACV. I also keep a bottle of water in the fridge laced with ACV, a sprinkle of himalayan salt, a pinch of Cream of Tartar (potassium so not much) and a splash of lime juice.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I used to find that my morning sugars levels increased until I'd had something small to eat. I now start the day with water and bullet proof coffee. ) coffee with butter rather than cream - sounds a bit weird but tastes Ok)
Uh, I think that coffee with or without milk, cream, sugar tastes weird ;) Anyway I normally test my blood right after getting out of bed. Not two hours after. Just a bit scary and it's done my morale no good. Not to worry, though. I'll see sense soon and perk up again, but I'm sure that if I go on the scales I'll have gained 5 kgs ;)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a bit scary and it's done my morale no good. Not to worry, though. I'll see sense soon and perk up again,
@briped Unexpectedly high fbg really puts a cloud over the day but that then becomes a really negative feedback loop:banghead: For those who read my bone broth commercial, Morrisons seems to be the UK chain for bones. Some of the packs for broth making have a meat content to easily provide a meal for 2 old farts after making the broth:angelic: Our dogs love the marrow bones from the "brothing" as well.
Edited as original was gibberish in parts

Last edited:

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
@briped Unexpectedly high fbg really puts a cloud over the day but that then becomes a really negative feedback loop:banghead: For those who read my bone broth commercial, Morrisons seems to be the UK chain for bones. Some of the packs for broth make the meat content easily makes a for a meal for 2 old farts after making the broth:angelic: Our dogs love the marrow bones from the "brothing" as well.

Unexpectedly? You're too right! If' I'd eaten something carby at least I'd understand, but these T1 and 2 bodies of ours and their BGs baffle us, don't they? You recommend bone broth on a day like this? I wonder if stock cubes of any denomination would do, because much as I'd like to find myself exploring the shelves of an English supermarket, I'm afraid it's a little far to venture :) Also, believe it or not, but I've never actually cooked marrow bones, and most butchers will be closed today.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You recommend bone broth on a day like this? I wonder if stock cubes of any denomination would do, because much as I'd like to find myself exploring the shelves of an English supermarket, I'm afraid it's a little far to venture :) Also, believe it or not, but I've never actually cooked marrow bones, and most butchers will be closed today.
@briped I don't exactly recommend bone broth just sharing ideas. As it happens I just drank a mug with plenty of Apple Cider Vinegar. I would steer clear of most stock cubes as thy contain all kinds of ingredients aunty diabetes won't like. My supermarket tip was very Anglo Centric so sorry:angelic:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are self-absorbed.
I had a very bad start to the day. Blood sugar of 19 mm/l. It is my own fault because I didn't eat sensibly yesterday and I drank wine. So, it always boils down to the fact that it is just not worth it to temporarily break the rules because it just harms you a few hours later. I am trying to go for the low carb diet, but because bread has been such a staple part of my diet, I am finding it hard. But very determined to persevere. Not worth waking up to the blood sugar level I had this morning. Also cutting out alcohol - it is a difficult balance as it s and alcohol just makes it that much harder to manage.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are self-absorbed.
5.5 - it's normally 5.5 - 6.1 since I cut down the carbs 3 years ago. Then it was averaging 6.8.

I'm amazed - last night our choir held a fund raising quiz night with fish/chip supper so I expected to be high. I went to bed with a reading of 8.8.

8.8 is not too bad. The thing to do is make sure it doesn't go higher during the night.

Reactions: Cumberland

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
4.3 for me today which is a bit too low ..nothing a cup of tea and a couple of digestives wont fix enjoy whats left of the weekend

Aww Karen I’m the same as you but a little bit higher 4.6

I’m going to have a cuppa and biccies plus paracetamol as headache yuk

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all 5.8 for me this morning:) Happy with that as I've been very low this week, so decided to have a treat last night. Had steak burgers, a sausage, 3 small boiled potatoes and a spoon full of carrots. Felt guilty eating it but enjoyed it!:happy: Have a good day all.:)