1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by NewdestinyX, Jun 30, 2011.

1. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry, the reply above went in the wrong place. Think I'll just go back to bed again again. I'm not drunk :banghead:

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I used to find that my morning sugars levels increased until I'd had something small to eat. I now start the day with water and bullet proof coffee. ) coffee with butter rather than cream - sounds a bit weird but tastes Ok)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

good morning all :)

4.3 today

The sun is out at the moment! It chucked it down on and off all day yesterday and I seemed to be in 'nibble' mode. I only managed a shortish walk too so I'm hoping to take the little dog for a walk today after Sunday lunch.

@Goonergal - have a hug from me, I used to get cramp fairly often when I first started walking a lot more, in the usual calf muscles of course but also, weirdly, in my second toes and the long muscle that crosses down the front inside of the thigh (that one is an absolute b. to get rid of :arghh:). Thankfully it's been much better since I started taking a vitamin and mineral supplement and soaking my feet in warm water with epsom salts twice a week.

Good wishes to father figures everywhere :) (and an internet hug to anyone who would like one )

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  4. OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I did the diet and it is a quick fix if followed by low carb diet. Mind you its also a bit brutal

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

i was the same yesterday phil lows on and off all day for no particular reason :(

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@ianpspurs, nice idea about adding ACV. I also keep a bottle of water in the fridge laced with ACV, a sprinkle of himalayan salt, a pinch of Cream of Tartar (potassium so not much) and a splash of lime juice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. philchap1

philchap1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's a strange master Karen, lol

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. briped

Uh, I think that coffee with or without milk, cream, sugar tastes weird ;) Anyway I normally test my blood right after getting out of bed. Not two hours after. Just a bit scary and it's done my morale no good. Not to worry, though. I'll see sense soon and perk up again, but I'm sure that if I go on the scales I'll have gained 5 kgs ;)

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

@briped Unexpectedly high fbg really puts a cloud over the day but that then becomes a really negative feedback loop:banghead: For those who read my bone broth commercial, Morrisons seems to be the UK chain for bones. Some of the packs for broth making have a meat content to easily provide a meal for 2 old farts after making the broth:angelic: Our dogs love the marrow bones from the "brothing" as well.
    Edited as original was gibberish in parts

• Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Useful x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    #27509 ianpspurs, Jun 17, 2018 at 9:33 AM
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  10. briped

Unexpectedly? You're too right! If' I'd eaten something carby at least I'd understand, but these T1 and 2 bodies of ours and their BGs baffle us, don't they? You recommend bone broth on a day like this? I wonder if stock cubes of any denomination would do, because much as I'd like to find myself exploring the shelves of an English supermarket, I'm afraid it's a little far to venture :) Also, believe it or not, but I've never actually cooked marrow bones, and most butchers will be closed today.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

@briped I don't exactly recommend bone broth just sharing ideas. As it happens I just drank a mug with plenty of Apple Cider Vinegar. I would steer clear of most stock cubes as thy contain all kinds of ingredients aunty diabetes won't like. My supermarket tip was very Anglo Centric so sorry:angelic:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. briped

Not to worry :) I'm a bit Anglo centric too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Your not kidding phil

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Diabetic46years

Diabetic46years Type 1 · Member

I had a very bad start to the day. Blood sugar of 19 mm/l. It is my own fault because I didn't eat sensibly yesterday and I drank wine. So, it always boils down to the fact that it is just not worth it to temporarily break the rules because it just harms you a few hours later. I am trying to go for the low carb diet, but because bread has been such a staple part of my diet, I am finding it hard. But very determined to persevere. Not worth waking up to the blood sugar level I had this morning. Also cutting out alcohol - it is a difficult balance as it s and alcohol just makes it that much harder to manage.

• Hug Hug x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Diabetic46years

Diabetic46years Type 1 · Member

8.8 is not too bad. The thing to do is make sure it doesn't go higher during the night.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

Aww Karen I’m the same as you but a little bit higher 4.6

I’m going to have a cuppa and biccies plus paracetamol as headache yuk

• Like Like x 5
    • Hug Hug x 5
  17. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

I know

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Terrytiddy

Terrytiddy Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Morning all 5.8 for me this morning:) Happy with that as I've been very low this week, so decided to have a treat last night. Had steak burgers, a sausage, 3 small boiled potatoes and a spoon full of carrots. Felt guilty eating it but enjoyed it!:happy: Have a good day all.:)

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 5
  19. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

send you a virtual hug and my condolenses

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. briped

I'm so sorry to hear about your sudden loss, but please do take care of yourself. It's easy to slide off that wagon, and so very difficult to climb back on. It took me two years, and my loss wasn't sudden at all. I just became more and more depressed, knowing full well what was happening to my BG. I know it must be a tremendous shock to you, but I don't want that to happen to you or to anybody else. I hope you have somebody to lean on.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook