What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great places to visit, I love New York, I hope you have a great time.

New York is an obsession of mine - have been at least once a year for the past 8 or 9 years! Haven’t been to either of the other places though.

@DJC3 in the job before my current one, I worked for 6 years as the UK representative for a US based organisation so have spent a lot of time over there, especially on the east coast (it was based in Washington DC).

Reactions: DJC3 and jayney27

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
New York is an obsession of mine - have been at least once a year for the past 8 or 9 years! Haven’t been to either of the other places though.

@DJC3 in the job before my current one, I worked for 6 years as the UK representative for a US based organisation so have spent a lot of time over there, especially on the east coast (it was based in Washington DC).
Same for me @Goonergal we generally take a cruise holiday every 18 months or so and we like to depart from New York so always fly out 3 or 4 days ahead so we can spend some time there, however in Oct we are leaving from Fort Lauderdsle so that will be a new experience for us. San Francisco is on my wish list of places to visit, I know several people who have been and everyone has lived it.
Sounds like you had an interesting job @DJC3 i would also like to visit some of the east coast, I have tentatively looked at cruises that cover that part of the states so that might be a good way of introducing ourselves to some of the areas. A lady at work is originally from Boston.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started taking Vitamin B complex when I got my first ‘dodgy’ cholesterol result, I am against taking statins and wanted to ‘ ‘improve’ my readings (if indeed they really needed to be improved, but that’s another discussion!), to try to help convince my GP that cholesterol wasn’t an issue. I read that niacin (B3) helps improve cholesterol levels, and also that Metformin can cause B12 deficiency, so thought they could be useful. I also started drinking Benecol drink at the same time as the vit B tablets so the improvement shown in my cholesterol numbers could be attributed to either. I just buy a no frills B complex from Tesco.

This is really interesting @Rachox I’m so glad @ianpspurs asked the question. I’d no idea about B3 being beneficial for cholesterol, nor metformin causing B12 deficiency
My last lipid profile was also a bit dodgy, with both LDL and trigs higher than the previous test (which was spot on) so I stopped taking statins, I’ve been wondering whether to start taking them again.

I’ve just bought a pot of B complex from Tesco (as you suggest - H&B astronomical price!) so will give these a go first.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Another beautiful day here I hope it lasts for the weekend so I can get out and enjoy it.
@DJC3 and @maglil55 the lo dough has arrived, the texture is a little strange, however to give it a fair test I have made a wrap for tomorrow’s lunch to test it as it comes so to speak and I will use the other piece as a pizza base tomorrow. I did cut a tiny slither off while I was making the wrap, seems ok but we shall see what happens when I have a proper bite tomorrow.
Today I have been on safe and familiar ground
B was a baked egg dish with bacon tomato and cheese
L salad with a couple of my halloumi thingies
D bacon and cheese flavour sausages with mashed cauliflower and a slice of choc olive oil cake

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was a Spa day which was a present to my wife from our son. I used the gym and pool and had a back and lower leg massage along with 2 visits each to sauna and steam room. Lunch was part of the package but although food good it was almost wholly low carb unfriendly.Arrived home at 6.30 starving. Menu below:
3 pints tea
Lots of water form exercise bottle
2 slices mackerel, few salad leaves, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, weird cheese with cranberry
Buffalo burger left over from Sunday, 3 very small slices buffalo rib. hunk cheddar, h/m high fibre bar
Good day but still very hungry. There will be lots more tea and water tonight. Tomorrow might be fun food wise as I am likely to go to bed very hungry.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all another amazing day and got out there today as have been helping OH oiling the decking. Good drying weather!
@DJC3 ive just started taking plant sterols today in tablet form will see if it helps reduce my LDL cholesterol! Making switch to filter coffee rather than French press coffee to reduce the coffee oils was my first change after my results and that produced a big drop alongside introduction of more healthy fats - nuts, seeds, extra virgin olive oil and more oily fish brought it down from 13.8 to 10.8 without reducing my HDL the good stuff! Will see if plant sterols bring it down further! Re your trigs results did you fast for 12 hours and also not drink any alcohol the two days before the test? If you didn’t this can raise the trigs.
@ianpspurs spa day sounds good
Breakfast one boiled egg with one slice LC bread and coffee with inulin
Lunch mackerel on five LC seed crispbreads and a few nuts followed by one slice choc olive oil cake
Afternoon two pots of green tea with mint from garden
Dinner slow cooker beef brisket served with celeriac chips cooked in macadamian nut oil followed by strawberries and oppo ice cream ( ran out of fage yogurt my new fave and no time to shop properly until Sunday. Will check local shop in morning but prob won’t stock it!)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all another amazing day and got out there today as have been helping OH oiling the decking. Good drying weather!
@DJC3 ive just started taking plant sterols today in tablet form will see if it helps reduce my LDL cholesterol! Making switch to filter coffee rather than French press coffee to reduce the coffee oils was my first change after my results and that produced a big drop alongside introduction of more healthy fats - nuts, seeds, extra virgin olive oil and more oily fish brought it down from 13.8 to 10.8 without reducing my HDL the good stuff! Will see if plant sterols bring it down further! Re your trigs results did you fast for 12 hours and also not drink any alcohol the two days before the test? If you didn’t this can raise the trigs.
@ianpspurs spa day sounds good
Breakfast one boiled egg with one slice LC bread and coffee with inulin
Lunch mackerel on five LC seed crispbreads and a few nuts followed by one slice choc olive oil cake
Afternoon two pots of green tea with mint from garden
Dinner slow cooker beef brisket served with celeriac chips cooked in macadamian nut oil followed by strawberries and oppo ice cream ( ran out of fage yogurt my new fave and no time to shop properly until Sunday. Will check local shop in morning but prob won’t stock it!)

I’ll be interested to see how you get on with the plant sterols @shelley262 where did you buy them?
I’ve noticed in your posts that you are increasing the good fats: olive oil, fish etc. I’m trying to do the same.
I didn’t know about the filter coffee though. I usually have filter or caffetiere (?sp) is that a French press?

I did fast for the last lipid profile but can’t remember about alcohol, they didn’t mention that to me but I can remember you saying it before your test so I think I’d have followed you!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jayney27 hope the wrap is nice tomorrow, looking forward to mine arriving soon.

@ianpspurs hope you enjoyed the spa in spite of the food. I love a spa day but doubt I could persuade Mr C to go in a month of Sundays so well done for being a dutiful husband even if it wasn’t quite your cup of tea.

Reactions: ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.7 FBG 6.3. Not having a good day. Brother is fine my sister is not. This has been a really bad year for illness.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
Slice GF black pudding , 2 rashers back bacon and a fried egg. Had this thinking I was taking my brother to visit sister but she cancelled.
L. & D Nothing really don't feel like eating.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@jayney27 hope the wrap is nice tomorrow, looking forward to mine arriving soon.

@ianpspurs hope you enjoyed the spa in spite of the food. I love a spa day but doubt I could persuade Mr C to go in a month of Sundays so well done for being a dutiful husband even if it wasn’t quite your cup of tea.
I now what you mean about spa days and men, mine wouldn’t entertain it either, I love being pampered. My youngest daughter is luckier her hubby is ok and they quite often enjoy a couples day.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I actually enjoyed it very much just a pity about the food. I had never had a massage before so an hour's pumelling on back and lower legs was very pleasant. I will put more in the exercise thread. I will say I have set Mrs P looking for similar days in the area, Use of gym, sauna etc right up my street pampering could take or leave but might think about massages.

Reactions: shelley262 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: scrambled egg, smoked salmon and avocado. Coffee and cream.

L: M&S prawn cocktail with salad of green leaves and avocado. Spoonful of flaxseeds and chia seeds scattered over.
1/2 portion of chocolate chia pud leftover from last night ( couldn’t finish it all then)

D: chicken breast stuffed with mozzarella and wrapped in bacon, with celeriac dauphinoise. Haven’t been able to eat all the chicken, so saving it for lunch tomorrow.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was a Spa day which was a present to my wife from our son. I used the gym and pool and had a back and lower leg massage along with 2 visits each to sauna and steam room. Lunch was part of the package but although food good it was almost wholly low carb unfriendly.Arrived home at 6.30 starving. Menu below:
3 pints tea
Lots of water form exercise bottle
2 slices mackerel, few salad leaves, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, weird cheese with cranberry
Buffalo burger left over from Sunday, 3 very small slices buffalo rib. hunk cheddar, h/m high fibre bar
Good day but still very hungry. There will be lots more tea and water tonight. Tomorrow might be fun food wise as I am likely to go to bed very hungry.

Why would you go to bed hungry? I can never see the sense in that, unless you are absolutely fasting.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would you go to bed hungry? I can never see the sense in that, unless you are absolutely fasting.
I have drunk lots of water since coming back and feel very bloated with drink so unlikely to eat anything much. Right now i think my need for fluid is paramount.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll be interested to see how you get on with the plant sterols @shelley262 where did you buy them?
I’ve noticed in your posts that you are increasing the good fats: olive oil, fish etc. I’m trying to do the same.
I didn’t know about the filter coffee though. I usually have filter or caffetiere (?sp) is that a French press?

I did fast for the last lipid profile but can’t remember about alcohol, they didn’t mention that to me but I can remember you saying it before your test so I think I’d have followed you!
Hi @DJC3 got them from Amazon will let you know in three weeks time - it seems that’s how long it takes to reduce LDL! I’ll schedule private test for then to check it out.Taking 3 a day the max dose as I certainly couldn’t eat as much as that with benecol products as really dislike them and don’t eat enough veggies to provide the food way!
Yes cafetière is a French press. I have a thermal walled one that I used to brew strong coffee in keep hot and drink a lot! Filter coffee provided you buy old fashioned filter paper traps the oils so less LDL raising oils - well I think so as it did make a difference. I’ve bought a new coffee filter machine that has a big thermos jug so get convenience of hot coffee during morning and my thermal walled French press has been pressed into service to produce green tea made with green tea leaves with fresh mint for the afternoon. Green tea has a rep of also being good for LDL reduction as is my daily small glass of red wine - what we do in the name of science. As long as it’s good stuff I’m quite happy

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I actually enjoyed it very much just a pity about the food. I had never had a massage before so an hour's pumelling on back and lower legs was very pleasant. I will put more in the exercise thread. I will say I have set Mrs P looking for similar days in the area, Use of gym, sauna etc right up my street pampering could take or leave but might think about massages.

Bonus husband points for you! Hope you can find somewhere with a better lunch menu next time.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 6.7 FBG 6.3. Not having a good day. Brother is fine my sister is not. This has been a really bad year for illness.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
Slice GF black pudding , 2 rashers back bacon and a fried egg. Had this thinking I was taking my brother to visit sister but she cancelled.
L. & D Nothing really don't feel like eating.
@maglil55 do be kind to yourself you’ve had quite a year and you keep so so busy but do remember you need to look after yourself too. As a carer I speak with learnt experience of my own illnesses resulting from caring from and worrying about others. Hope you get some time to yourself in the school holidays take care x

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3 got them from Amazon will let you know in three weeks time - it seems that’s how long it takes to reduce LDL! I’ll schedule private test for then to check it out.Taking 3 a day the max dose as I certainly couldn’t eat as much as that with benecol products as really dislike them and don’t eat enough veggies to provide the food way!
Yes cafetière is a French press. I have a thermal walled one that I used to brew strong coffee in keep hot and drink a lot! Filter coffee provided you buy old fashioned filter paper traps the oils so less LDL raising oils - well I think so as it did make a difference. I’ve bought a new coffee filter machine that has a big thermos jug so get convenience of hot coffee during morning and my thermal walled French press has been pressed into service to produce green tea made with green tea leaves with fresh mint for the afternoon. Green tea has a rep of also being good for LDL reduction as is my daily small glass of red wine - what we do in the name of science. As long as it’s good stuff I’m quite happy

I’ll stick with the filter papers then, thanks for that tip.
Fingers crossed for the good effects of the sterols, I’ll be jnterested in your results.
I really really don’t want to go back on the statins.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bonus husband points for you! Hope you can find somewhere with a better lunch menu next time.
The food issue is not a biggy. We couldn't sign in at this place until 10.30 so if we went again I would have breakfast and probably take a homemade bar. I would have done 2 gym sessions if it wasn't so hot so no lunch.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 do be kind to yourself you’ve had quite a year and you keep so so busy but do remember you need to look after yourself too. As a carer I speak with learnt experience of my own illnesses resulting from caring from and worrying about others. Hope you get some time to yourself in the school holidays take care x
Thanks @shelley262. My sister's situation isn't good but having cared for my brother for years through his illness I know a lot about palliative care and things her husband is saying doesn't make sense so I'm really confused. This is what is worrying me - it doesn't fit. I also know that's what's putting me off eating. Won't do me any harm - still more than sufficient meat on my bones!

Reactions: DJC3