Does Fat Raise Blood Glucose?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This article in Diabetes Daily surprised me by claiming that eating fat raises bg.
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/protein-fat-may-also-affect-blood-glucose-levels-573634/
I knew that protein can raise bg, albeit more slowly than carbs, but fat???
I read the article. It appears to me that they are blaming fats for the rise caused by carbs, hence they using a donut as an example. Likewise, some fat is found in protein, so they are blaming the fat for a rise, not the protein.

But I could be misunderstanding something. They dont appear to have looked at fat on its own, only as part of a high carb or protein food.

Reactions: Freema

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read the article. It appears to me that they are blaming fats for the rise caused by carbs, hence they using a donut as an example. Likewise, some fat is found in protein, so they are blaming the fat for a rise, not the protein.

But I could be misunderstanding something. They dont appear to have looked at fat on its own, only as part of a high carb or protein food.
Very interesting!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Think they expect us to starve!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This article in Diabetes Daily surprised me by claiming that eating fat raises bg.
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/protein-fat-may-also-affect-blood-glucose-levels-573634/
I knew that protein can raise bg, albeit more slowly than carbs, but fat???
Try eating a chunk of butter and measuring before and hourly after then you'll know for sure if it has an impact on your BG.
I know that for me (I eat a lot of fat and protein) I have a very small reaction to most meals these days ( a matter of meter variation rarely more).

Reactions: JohnH2019

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think they expect us to starve!
I just think it's a badly thought out article...and pretty easy to experiment with. Obviously they didn't think of that!
Scientists can be really dumb sometimes..

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try eating a chunk of butter and measuring before and hourly after then you'll know for sure if it has an impact on your BG.
Except that butter does contain carbs, some brands more than others.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
pretty easy to experiment with
Not so easy as all that, surely? Finding volunteers to eat ONLY fat might be difficult. I'm not sure I could do it even for one meal without feeling sick, which might in itself raise my bg.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not so easy as all that, surely? Finding volunteers to eat ONLY fat might be difficult. I'm not sure I could do it even for one meal without feeling sick, which might in itself raise my bg.
the point is that ingested fat, of its very nature, cannot convert to glucose. it just cant. Stored fats in our bodies can convert to glucose, but not fats we eat.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This has not been my experience. I recently raised my levels of good fats and my level of protein in an effort to gain weight. My bg levels showed no movement to speak of, if I had seen a rise I would certainly have been in a quandary as to what to try next. Every chart, every graph and every boffin I have seen have told me that the response to good fats is minimal, almost flat line.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the fats in our bodies which we have stored come mainly from carbohydrates we have eaten being converted to fat stores for future use. This is a different type of fat to the ones we eat.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am now eating full fat mayo with my salad and protein like ham, eggs, tuna or similar. My blood sugar levels do not go up afterwards, sometimes they even go down. If i add a slice of bread to the meal, the blood sugars go up. This leads me to conclude that fats and proteins dont raise blood sugar levels, but carbs do.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
where did you find that? butter is made from the butter fat, with the whey (carby bit pressed out) and a bit of salt in the salted versions.
Longley Farm Luxury Jersey Butter has 0.4g carbs per 100g. Lurpak 0.7, Anchor 0.6, Kerrygold 0.6, Wensleydale Creamery 0.6, Morrisons Organic 0.8, Morrisons Best Brittany 0.7, Président 0.5, CastleDairies Welsh 0.6, Morrisons Savers: Trace.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surely you'd have to eat more than just a chunk to prove anything.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are being a bit pedantic here. You would have to eat a kilo of butter to even get 7 grams of carbs max

However, if you wish to be able to say that there are carbs in butter, be my guest. I still stand by my comments that the carb amount is so negligible as to be nil in normal daily amount of usage.