What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt you wasted those years - I suspect you were a brilliant teacher and there should be more like you. I remember your post when you explained that your class clubbed together to get you that Shirt. Not something they’d have done if you’d been rubbish. You should feel proud of those years.

Have to disagree about Strictly too!
Thanks @DJC3 The wasted is more a reference to the feeling that I was really made for working outside. It was always drummed into me never to work with a pick and shovel if you can work with a pen. I hated wearing a suit and tie and colleagues claiming what we did was hard work - I saw no callouses or blisters.

Reactions: Tori71 and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, he reminded me of your Cooper too! Absolutely adorable.

I was thinking of you today and your eldest son as I popped into Sainsburys - they are adverstising a ‘quiet hour’ shopping for people with autism and similar conditions. I don’t know if it’s a national initiative?
It is a national initiative promoted by national autistic society - but eldest can’t cope with any shopping really it’s the whole experience not just the noise but the lighting, size and overwhelming choices of a supermarket - I’m really grateful for online shopping!

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a national initiative promoted by national autistic society - but eldest can’t cope with any shopping really it’s the whole experience not just the noise but the lighting, size and overwhelming choices of a supermarket - I’m really grateful for online shopping!

Ah. I did wonder how useful it would be. I guess that even if it just raises general awareness it’ll be a good thing.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DJC3 The wasted is more a reference to the feeling that I was really made for working outside. It was always drummed into me never to work with a pick and shovel if you can work with a pen. I hated wearing a suit and tie and colleagues claiming what we did was hard work - I saw no callouses or blisters.

Anybody can work with a pick and shovel. My husband and brother were both teachers, it’s not for the fainthearted I know.

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the fat to protein balance a diabetes related issue or a separate problem - sorry if that is prying just tell me to *off

No worries! Ask away. :)

Since i am just eating protein and fat at the mo (no carbs as veg cos of the tum, the fibre and the consequences), I basically need to get the right balance. Too much lean protein means I overload on the stuff and feel really grotty. So need fat to prevent that. And to stay in ketosis. Excess protein is a heavy claggy meh feeling. Also raises bg a bit. But i have to eat something. I’m not into extended fasting. The fat is so satiating that i can drop the protein and still enjoy and feel full. :D

So recently started to raise my fat intake and try lowering the protein, to see if that was an improvement. And it is! Still early days though. Giving it a proper trial.

Carnivory is an interesting way of eating.
I’m currently aiming for 2:1 g of fat to protein. Which basically means adding butter or a cream sauce to steak, or melted butter on eggs. Or adding in marrow from bones (yum!). Or eating the fat on belly pork. And so on. These ratios are suggested by a paleo keto carnivore diet called PKD, and so far, I feel REALLY good on it. So do my guts. :D

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Since i am just eating protein and fat at the mo (no carbs as veg cos of the tum, the fibre and the consequences), I basically need to get the right balance. Too much lean protein means I overload on the stuff and feel really grotty. So need fat to prevent that. And to stay in ketosis. Excess protein is a heavy claggy meh feeling. Also raises bg a bit. But i have to eat something. I’m not into extended fasting. The fat is so satiating that i can drop the protein and still enjoy and feel full. :D

So recently started to raise my fat intake and try lowering the protein, to see if that was an improvement. And it is! Still early days though. Giving it a proper trial.

I’m currently aiming for 2:1 g of fat to protein. Which basically means adding butter or a cream sauce to steak, or melted butter on eggs. Or adding in marrow from bones (yum!). Or eating the fat on belly pork. And so on. These ratios are suggested by a paleo keto carnivore diet called PKD, and so far, I feel REALLY good on it. So do my guts. :D
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply so fully. That sounds quite complicated and way out of my comfort zone but I am pleased it works for you.

Reactions: Brunneria

fran57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, and cheats.
Evening all. Hope you’ve all had a good weekend.

@fran57 menu looking good.

@maglil55 you are really packing it in. Sounds like a good trip. I’m glad you managed a Baileys too.
@ianpspurs the hacking of tree roots is hard work - must have done your bgs no wnd of good. It’s lovely to see you use your wife’s name. I will continue to refer to Paul as Mr C ( oops!)

B: cheese omelette. Tea with almond milk.

2mugs coffee with cream during the morning.

L: roast turkey breast with creamy cheesy sauce and green beans cooked in garlic butter. Warm lemon drizzle cake and cream for pud.

D: not hungry yet, and it’ll be too late if I wait much longer so will probably have a few olives and walnuts while watching Strictly results.
@DJC3 thank you...Im getting there lol x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: rolled lamb belly roasted with rosemary and garlic with one tiny roast potato (frozen Aunt Bessie’s) with mixed veg followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by..... you’ve guessed it! One Jaffa cake :joyful::hilarious:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast, just occasional water with lime or lemon juice, till lunch time.

Lunch : pulled ham hock with a mix of sugar snap, mange tout, petit pois (all rawand crunchy!) and pea shoots, with both fresh & dried mint, lemon juice & zest and Hellmanns; Halo Top vanilla ice cream; turmeric tea.

Dinner - slightly and accidentally colour co-ordinated - all reds,oranges, pinks... Sort of pastryless quiche made with mixed red, orange, yellow baby peppers, Piccolo tomatoes, spicy chorizo, fresh oregano, a little diced garlic, cooked in an egg/quark mix flavoured (and coloured!) with sweet smoked paprika and topped with grated cheddar; last portion of my blackberry & apple with a dollop of creme fraiche, apple flesh had turned quite pink from the blackberry juices. Followed by deep red raspberry and redcurrant tea, and a pink smiley face :p And a generous taste of a new batch of chocolatized crunchy hazelnut butter....Pre dinner BG 7.5, 2hr post 7.0 (with fbg of 7.1)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast, just occasional water with lime or lemon juice, till lunch time.

Lunch : pulled ham hock with a mix of sugar snap, mange tout, petit pois (all rawand crunchy!) and pea shoots, with both fresh & dried mint, lemon juice & zest and Hellmanns; Halo Top vanilla ice cream; turmeric tea.

Dinner - slightly and accidentally colour co-ordinated - all reds,oranges, pinks... Sort of pastryless quiche made with mixed red, orange, yellow baby peppers, Piccolo tomatoes, spicy chorizo, fresh oregano, a little diced garlic, cooked in an egg/quark mix flavoured (and coloured!) with sweet smoked paprika and topped with grated cheddar; last portion of my blackberry & apple with a dollop of creme fraiche, apple flesh had turned quite pink from the blackberry juices. Followed by deep red raspberry and redcurrant tea, and a pink smiley face :p And a generous taste of a new batch of chocolatized crunchy hazelnut butter....Pre dinner BG 7.5, 2hr post 7.0 (with fbg of 7.1)

There should be a picture.
I would be even more envious if I could see it...

callieuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been a bit slack with food lately but today I went with:

Fried eggs & bacon
Peanut butter cookie/cream cheese cookies from Ditch the Carbs website
Coconut Lime Chicken and a small serving of baby new potatoes from A Saucy Kitchen

Haven't measure the carb value but it'll be quite low. Annoyingly my blood sugar has jumped this evening - I'm off meds and trying to adjust.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Interesting. That ratio is almost what I have by default - roughly equates to macros of 80% fat, 5% (or less) carbs and the rest protein. Usually aided by cream in tea rather than lots of sauces but BG is noticeably better if protein is not too high. And energy levels are really high.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I made bad choices yesterday! It was going so well, and then I forgot that I had to dog-sit my parents' geriatric dog. I went wholly unprepared and didn't realise that it would be an entire day and well into the evening. They had no low-carb friendly food, and instead of popping to the shop I took the easy route... So chicken nuggets for lunch, and then a sandwich for dinner. Bloat and belly pain for supper, followed by the first Novorapid I've had in well over a week to bring my 12.9 back down to normal realms. But you live and learn. Always be prepared!
I plan to fast until lunchtime, get the nasties out of my system, and then start with two boiled eggs and a mashed avocado. Then dinner has yet to be planned, but will probably be shredded roast chicken with mayo - no veg.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. That ratio is almost what I have by default - roughly equates to macros of 80% fat, 5% (or less) carbs and the rest protein. Usually aided by cream in tea rather than lots of sauces but BG is noticeably better if protein is not too high. And energy levels are really high.

I am finding the same thing since following the DD meal plans - the fat:protein ratio is much higher than I was eating and bgs have responded well. I was beginning to despair.

Incidentally I did a weekly shop this morning as I’d planned all our food for the week. Its the first time Ive shopped for a whole week since retiring 22months ago. I usually walk into town daily now. I assumed it’d be expensive compared to my previous bills but it was under half the price!
£88 today for everything ( plus a few cleaning/ household items) I regularly used to top £200 a couple of years ago. Admittedly there used to be a fair amount of wine in my trolley which I don’t feel the need for now happily, but still impressive. I’ve heard a lot of people worrying that this woe is expensive but it’s absolutely not the case it seems.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another lost weekend in terms of posting to the site!
Hope everyone is OK.

Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Pate, olives, salad. Strawberries and cream, two squares of lindt 85% . Also had a piece of sourdough with the pate as I read an article a while ago which said that toasting sourdough from frozen rather than fresh, significantly reduced the impact on your sugars. Think it might have been a Michael Mosley thing!
Dinner (still to come) - Scrambled eggs with bacon
Snacks - Smoked almonds
Lots of tea!! @ianpspurs

Off to Doctors at tea time to ask him if I can come off one of my (non related to Diabetes) meds. Fingers crossed. Also, today is my last day at work after 27 years at the same place!!!!

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s dedication. Hope they give you a good send off.
Are you retiring or starting anew?
Husband won't let me retire yet, some rubbish about me being 47 :(!

Actually been on sick for last nine months with the Diabetes diagnosis being the final straw! But it's enabled me to get a good portion of my health back (after 15 years of illness) and not a lot of people get the chance to think about a new career, so I'm very grateful!!!

Reactions: DJC3 and Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes.
The general advice when carnivore is to 'eat fatty meat to satiety, and don't worry about the macros'.
However, carnivory isn't necessarily keto, because it actually takes a bit of effort to get enough fat in, alongside the meat. Especially nutritious fats such as brain, marrow and so on.
So in the 10 months since I gave up veg, I had gently drifted into higher protein and not actively adding so much fat. Although tests still showed ketosis, apparently it wasn't quite enough.
Am now finding that drifting back towards the 2:1 ratio is definitely an improvement.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, today is my last day at work after 27 years at the same place!!!!

Ooh, congratulations on your liberation! Are you going on to pastures new?

Edited to add: Just seen your last post. A new career. Nice one. :)

Reactions: Tori71

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Husband won't let me retire yet, some rubbish about me being 47 :(!

Actually been on sick for last nine months with the Diabetes diagnosis being the final straw! But it's enabled me to get a good portion of my health back (after 15 years of illness) and not a lot of people get the chance to think about a new career, so I'm very grateful!!!
Good luck with planning your new career hope you find something that you enjoy

Reactions: Tori71