What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I did my first, I had a look around. There are quite a few sites "talking" about it.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipes/cocktails-beverages
https://www.sousvidetools.com/toolshed/the-sous-vide-christmas-drinks-guide/

The times and temperatures vary enormously, so I just sort of do my thing. To be clear, mind have all been clear spirit, and I haven't done anything involving cream, life pretendy Baileys, which would influence things.

Now, to be honest, I tend to go for 70c for between 2 and 3 hours, depending how intense I want to make the flavour. For example, my Ginammon I give 3 hours, and that is intensely flavoured, but then fr that, like most things, I'll dilute with a mixer or additional base spirit. I haven't made any large batches, but I'll likely do a couple of things for Crimbo gifts, for friends who have enjoyed their tasters. I just need to source some nice little bottles. :)

It's been a load of fun, and there's plenty alcoholic fruit in the freezer for deserts with icecream or cream.
Thanks - that should make for fun

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks - that should make for fun

MrB's SV Grand Marnier-likeeee is fabulous, but does have sugar, so little sips only for me. On small quantities, we're experimenting with Glycerine to recreate the correct consistency. That bit is a work in progress.

Thank goodness we also have quite a small a small bath for all this jiggery-pokery.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lidl are about to have a gin week
No Lidl nearby. I only discovered I liked gin recently. Always thought it had a smell of cat pee. As I am fasting much of the time this week I will refrain. Putting all thoughts of alcohol out of my mind.

Reactions: maglil55

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy Anniversary Mrs & Mrs @ianpspurs .

@maglil55 - I picked up the Lidl Christmas drinks programme booklet the other day. It "inspired" me to make a Gingerbread Gin infusion last night, then as that got going (in the SV bath) I decided to do the same with vodka.

I have filtered and bottled both now, although I haven't tasted the drinks, I did eat one lot of the infused ginger. Fabulous! Not quite gingerbread flavour, as I sort of made that up, a on the spur of the moment, so a work in progress.
Lalalala, fingers in ears. Not listening!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The geese were in the freezers today. Didn't check the price though - sorry. Most of their Christmas range is in.
Now you're talking my kind of language. Will get my order in at butchers.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy anni @ianpspurs and Mrs P! Sorry, better late than never.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: DD keto pancake with bacon and SF maple syrup followed by Greek yoghurt with raspberries and blueberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and a black coffee.
Dinner at local Hungry Horse: chicken skewers on a bed of stir fried peppers and red onion with a side salad and coleslaw, dessert at home, SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Didn’t get to post yesterday - crazy working week finally caught up with me and I collapsed into bed at 6.30pm, having struggled to stay awake while dinner cooked!

@Brunneria your whole menu for yesterday sounds fab. Think I’m going to start experimenting with making pate. Do you need a full on food processor or would my hand blender/mini chopper suffice?

@maglil55 great idea to make sweet things you don’t like!

@LittleGreyCat is bullet resistant coffee a ‘lightweight’ version of bullet proof coffee?

@DJC3 your suggestion of buying more jumpers obviously lodged itself in my brain as I arrived home with one in my bag.

Yesterday’s menu was lunch at Five Guys post walking football. Cheeseburger with mayonnaise. Going bunless there is normal, but lack of toppings clearly isn’t - loud exclamation: plain?!

Dinner was beef short rib.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria your whole menu for yesterday sounds fab. Think I’m going to start experimenting with making pate. Do you need a full on food processor or would my hand blender/mini chopper suffice?

:D

A hand blender would be fine!

Making pate is the easiest thing in the world. All you need is seasoned meat and fat puréed together (easiest when warm) that sets solid when chilled.

If you have a look at any pate recipe you will see what I mean. Mind you, come to think of it, I don’t think I have ever followed a recipe... I’ve used various combinations of chicken, lamb or beef liver, with either cream cheese, butter or marrow fat, but lard or beef dripping would work too. Bacon works nicely too.

When I made this latest batch I just put the marrowfat, seasonings (garlic, onion, Worcestershire, salt, pepper and herbs) and liver in a pan and ‘sweated’ the liver til cooked. Blended it and put in little pots ready to freeze in portions. I calculated the proportions to get my f: p macros.

Fish pates are even easier.
Lob some skinless smoked mackerel or smoked salmon into blender with lemon juice, salt, pepper, horseradish and cream cheese, blend, eat.
Less than 2 mins to make. And none of the silly starches and gums and gels used in shop bought ones.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D

A hand blender would be fine!

Making pate is the easiest thing in the world. All you need is seasoned meat and fat puréed together (easiest when warm) that sets solid when chilled.

If you have a look at any pate recipe you will see what I mean. Mind you, come to think of it, I don’t think I have ever followed a recipe... I’ve used various combinations of chicken, lamb or beef liver, with either cream cheese, butter or marrow fat, but lard or beef dripping would work too. Bacon works nicely too.

When I made this latest batch I just put the marrowfat, seasonings (garlic, onion, Worcestershire, salt, pepper and herbs) and liver in a pan and ‘sweated’ the liver til cooked. Blended it and put in little pots ready to freeze in portions. I calculated the proportions to get my f: p macros.

Fish pates are even easier.
Lob some skinless smoked mackerel or smoked salmon into blender with lemon juice, salt, pepper, horseradish and cream cheese, blend, eat.
Less than 2 mins to make. And none of the silly starches and gums and gels used in shop bought ones.

Brilliant, thanks!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sat working out my 'quite' low carb Christmas dinner menu as I'm having everyone 'round this year. Is this too sad???
Nope. I believe some wag opined that should one fail to plan one may as well plan to fail. A more salty version exists.

Reactions: DJC3 and Tori71

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last minute.com:angelic:
Not as last minute as last year. Plans went askew due to family crisis. Last minute order from butcher and all that was left a week before the big day was a giant goose. Further plans went even more askew, after a bigger family crisis, and the beast of a bird was squashed into the freezer. We remembered to defrost it for Easter. I am torn between accepting invitation elsewhere for Christmas dinner, or hiding this time.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not as last minute as last year. Plans went askew due to family crisis. Last minute order from butcher and all that was left a week before the big day was a giant goose. Further plans went even more askew, after a bigger family crisis, and the beast of a bird was squashed into the freezer. We remembered to defrost it for Easter. I am torn between accepting invitation elsewhere for Christmas dinner, or hiding this time.
Accept, accept!

Reactions: Pipp

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our butcher doesn't take festive orders until "the beginning of November". I wasn't enquiring, it was another customer.

Reactions: Tori71

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Our butcher doesn't take festive orders until "the beginning of November". I wasn't enquiring, it was another customer.
If there is a Mrs Butcher he takes orders all day, every day:angelic: (He may feel free to disregard them but he will certainly take orders)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all hectic weekend so on catch up:
Saturday
Breakfast egg and bacon
Lunch cheese and handful of nuts
Dinner chicken curry and mint raita followed by lemon and lime mousse
Sunday
Breakfast bacon, egg, tomatoes and mushrooms
Lunch too busy
Mid pm handful of nuts and two squares of 90% choc
Dinner steak, mushrooms in cream, salad leaves and glass of red wine followed by lemon and lime mousse with Greek yoghurt.
Hope everyone had a good weekend.