Tax on red meat and bacon??

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Just been reading the paper and researchers from Oxford University are suggesting putting a tax on red meat and bacon. This will include mincemeat, burgers, sausages also steak, lamb, pork. Sausages and bacon and other processed food, a whopping 79% on sausages, bacon and other processed foods. Red meat, in general, a 14% tax on. The researchers are saying that it will save lives as these products cause Heart Disease, Diabetes and Cancer. This was also talked about on LBC this morning. If this turns out that the Government does this, our meat will be very expensive. Nanny state or what?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kind of crazy that the whole piece is based upon the IARC study which has been shown (certainly in the case of red meat) to be based on very dodgy studies. A whole series of assumptions has then been made that lead to crazy projections they reckon that 20% of deaths could be avoided.. So veganism is a cause of immortality? What would happen to the global population if this were adopted 15 bio in 30 years?.. how would they grow all the soya beans and wheat to feed them? Utter madness.

Link to the actual piece of work all based on a fallacious "association"

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0204139

Reactions: sally and james

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat is quite expensive already. I used to eat a fair amount of lamb, but rarely buy it now. I am tending to eat more fish and 'vegetarian/vegan' type meals. I didn't have any meat yesterday, and don't at least a couple of days a week.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As it is possible to join up and make a comment - I did.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Kind of crazy that the whole piece is based upon the IARC study which has been shown (certainly in the case of red meat) to be based on very dodgy studies. A whole series of assumptions has then been made that lead to crazy projections they reckon that 20% of deaths could be avoided.. So veganism is a cause of immortality? What would happen to the global population if this were adopted 15 bio in 30 years?.. how would they grow all the soya beans and wheat to feed them? Utter madness.

Link to the actual piece of work all based on a fallacious "association"

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0204139
I would love to know how many Vegan's have type 2 diabetes or who are Pre-diabetic

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well India has I believe 40% vegetarian population due to religion and a significant portion of Type 2 diabetics so doubt its very protective there...

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat is quite expensive already. I used to eat a fair amount of lamb, but rarely buy it now. I am tending to eat more fish and 'vegetarian/vegan' type meals. I didn't have any meat yesterday, and don't at least a couple of days a week.
On LBC they suggested vegetarian sausages. Unless you make your own, they are quite high in carbs as most vegetarian food is

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who is driving this agenda? There have apparently been riots outside butchers shops in France! :)
There have been attacks and graffiti all over France and even death threats. I believe it is a radical vegan agenda. There are a number of extreme vegan advocates who stir people up via their You tube channels with claims that they would prefer to kill a human than an animal. There are also quite a large number of vegan trolls on twitter who actively target anyone who supports meat eating. Especially ex-vegans who turn to meat eating for health reasons. It is fast becoming a cult.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did you join up? Have you got a link? I’d like to comment too.
If you click on the article I linked to you can register with PLOS then you have to call up the article again and make a comment. they want an email address and name (but that's easy to make up).

Reactions: DJC3

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
another indirect stealth tax and way for the government to take money from us with no good cause. And to make poor families even poorer. I dont beleive it has anything to do with health, I think its just another way to raise taxes.

I wonder why they are not taxing cocopops?

Reactions: Dodo and DJC3

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well India has I believe 40% vegetarian population due to religion and a significant portion of Type 2 diabetics so doubt its very protective there...
Not so simple as making causal assumptions based on associations between the prevelance of vegetarian / meat diets and relative diabetes rates between different countries - the genetic load for diabetes among the south asian population is also much higher than in many other populations and the adoption of a more western processed food diet is also increasingly affecting their diabetes rates
https://www.natureasia.com/en/nindia/article/10.1038/nindia.2011.126

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
And it's not likely that the vegetables in Indian food causes T2 diabetes, more probable contributory factors are the rice, breads and potatoes. Also the very sugary sweets.
Edit: And the tropical fruits.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

On LBC they suggested vegetarian sausages. Unless you make your own, they are quite high in carbs as most vegetarian food is
Cauldron vegetarian sausages (the only meat replacement I eat as a vegaquarian ... but only rarely) are 5g carbs each.
I accept this is probably a too high for someone on a very low carb diet but I wouldn't describe this as "quite high". Richmond sausages have 8g carbs per portion in comparison.
Sure, good quality meat sausages have less carbs but they are more expensive

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you click on the article I linked to you can register with PLOS then you have to call up the article again and make a comment. they want an email address and name (but that's easy to make up).

Thanks I’ll do it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the genetic load for diabetes among the south asian population is also much higher than in many other populations
Maybe because of what they eat rather than "genetics"? I always fear that "genetics" is used as a catch all for things that can't be easily explained.. a bit like the French "paradox" with sat fat according to Ancel Keys.. it usually means that the thing being considered is simply incorrect and there is another cause..

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's so funny is these guys are supposed to be intelligent....