1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Tax on red meat and bacon??

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by derry60, Nov 7, 2018.

1. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Just been reading the paper and researchers from Oxford University are suggesting putting a tax on red meat and bacon. This will include mincemeat, burgers, sausages also steak, lamb, pork. Sausages and bacon and other processed food, a whopping 79% on sausages, bacon and other processed foods. Red meat, in general, a 14% tax on. The researchers are saying that it will save lives as these products cause Heart Disease, Diabetes and Cancer. This was also talked about on LBC this morning. If this turns out that the Government does this, our meat will be very expensive. Nanny state or what?

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Kind of crazy that the whole piece is based upon the IARC study which has been shown (certainly in the case of red meat) to be based on very dodgy studies. A whole series of assumptions has then been made that lead to crazy projections they reckon that 20% of deaths could be avoided.. So veganism is a cause of immortality? What would happen to the global population if this were adopted 15 bio in 30 years?.. how would they grow all the soya beans and wheat to feed them? Utter madness.

Link to the actual piece of work all based on a fallacious "association"

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0204139

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Meat is quite expensive already. I used to eat a fair amount of lamb, but rarely buy it now. I am tending to eat more fish and 'vegetarian/vegan' type meals. I didn't have any meat yesterday, and don't at least a couple of days a week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

As it is possible to join up and make a comment - I did.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. derry60

I would love to know how many Vegan's have type 2 diabetes or who are Pre-diabetic

6. bulkbiker

Well India has I believe 40% vegetarian population due to religion and a significant portion of Type 2 diabetics so doubt its very protective there...

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. derry60

On LBC they suggested vegetarian sausages. Unless you make your own, they are quite high in carbs as most vegetarian food is

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bulkbiker

Me too... hehe what fun..

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. bulkbiker

The whole thing is madness..

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Who is driving this agenda? There have apparently been riots outside butchers shops in France! :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. bulkbiker

There have been attacks and graffiti all over France and even death threats. I believe it is a radical vegan agenda. There are a number of extreme vegan advocates who stir people up via their You tube channels with claims that they would prefer to kill a human than an animal. There are also quite a large number of vegan trolls on twitter who actively target anyone who supports meat eating. Especially ex-vegans who turn to meat eating for health reasons. It is fast becoming a cult.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Where did you join up? Have you got a link? I’d like to comment too.

13. bulkbiker

If you click on the article I linked to you can register with PLOS then you have to call up the article again and make a comment. they want an email address and name (but that's easy to make up).

• Like Like x 1
  14. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

another indirect stealth tax and way for the government to take money from us with no good cause. And to make poor families even poorer. I dont beleive it has anything to do with health, I think its just another way to raise taxes.

I wonder why they are not taxing cocopops?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

Not so simple as making causal assumptions based on associations between the prevelance of vegetarian / meat diets and relative diabetes rates between different countries - the genetic load for diabetes among the south asian population is also much higher than in many other populations and the adoption of a more western processed food diet is also increasingly affecting their diabetes rates
    https://www.natureasia.com/en/nindia/article/10.1038/nindia.2011.126

• Like Like x 1
  16. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

And it's not likely that the vegetables in Indian food causes T2 diabetes, more probable contributory factors are the rice, breads and potatoes. Also the very sugary sweets.
    Edit: And the tropical fruits.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #16 Prem51, Nov 7, 2018 at 3:08 PM
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  17. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

Cauldron vegetarian sausages (the only meat replacement I eat as a vegaquarian ... but only rarely) are 5g carbs each.
    I accept this is probably a too high for someone on a very low carb diet but I wouldn't describe this as "quite high". Richmond sausages have 8g carbs per portion in comparison.
    Sure, good quality meat sausages have less carbs but they are more expensive

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Thanks I’ll do it.

19. bulkbiker

Maybe because of what they eat rather than "genetics"? I always fear that "genetics" is used as a catch all for things that can't be easily explained.. a bit like the French "paradox" with sat fat according to Ancel Keys.. it usually means that the thing being considered is simply incorrect and there is another cause..

20. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

What's so funny is these guys are supposed to be intelligent....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook