What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B- DD Butter eggs
Sn Coffee and double cream
D - Yogurt, cream , Gorilla museli
Sn - few (too many) slices of cheese . Made me really sleepy and almost ruined a busy afternoon of TV watching;)
T - minced beef, onions couple of tomatoes cooked in butter and olive oil with cheese on top , A tasty , fatty greasy mess :)

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: chorizo and Gouda rollitos with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: carbonara made with Explore Cuisine edamame spaghetti, bacon, mushrooms, egg and cream followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

What's the fake pasta like? Does it have a similar texture?

Geoffno6

I find that the surest, quickest way to bring down a high morning reading (dawn phenomenon) is to eat a protein and fat breakfast. Or just fat. No carbs at all. Not even a cherry tomato. Works like a charm. My bg is usually down to my normal daytime levels within an hour or two, and stays solidly there as long as the protein/fat is gently drip feeding into my system.

It took a very long time (couple of years) before my dawn phenomenon subsided enough for me to not bother with breakfast, and any kind of stress like bad sleep or a morning appt will cause it to come back.
Nowadays I just have a coffeesubstitute and cream, every morning, which stops any rise. Then I don’t bother with breakfast at all unless I am eating with someone socially. :)

Well, that has sort of cheered me up, knowing that it can take a couple of years for the dawn phenomenon to subside. Mine still being awful (usually 8 to 10) after 5 months maybe isn’t the disaster I felt it was.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B Egg n bacon
L Chopped boiled eggs with salad, mayo and Brussels pâté
Snack - a dozen mussels
D Pizza with extra bacon and cheese, dough base consigned to the bin.
Ending the day with a naughty 9.1 at 11.30pm
Maybe the feeble 5700 steps hasn’t helped.

I’ve also found that when my step count is low, my bgs go up. I can’t always manage a good distance though so I’m trying to fit something, anything - exercise bike at home for instance - into the day.
Very impressed that you managed to bung the pizza base in the bin

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another early dinner so posting while I remember.

Early: large cafetiere of coffee with cream.

Breakfast: DD breakfast sandwich

Went to a keep fit class in the village hall for over 55s. Not very strenuous but quite a good laugh nevertheless. A very friendly bunch. Cup of tea with milk afterwards ( didn’t want to appear picky or stand offish)

No lunch

Mid aft: 10g walnuts and coffee and cream

Dinner: Smoked duck breast with celeriac remoulade and lettuce followed by a bit of the local stinky cheese with a glass of red.
Finally an IP custard pot and a few Callebaut 100% chocolate buttons.

I hope everyone has had a good day.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Hi-lo toast, topped with avocado and serrano ham. Strawberries and cream.
Dinner - Bacon and eggs
Snacks - Chocolate and smoked almonds

Well it's been a miserable day here today, which probably explains the amount of bread and pork related products. Can recommend Montezuma's 99% dark chocolate orange and geranium bar. Found it in Sainsbury's so not sure if anyone else stocks it. Its a 100g bar and carbs per 25g is 8g. Not that I'm recommending eating a quarter of the block!! A few squares are a nice treat though

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening. Large lunch and smaller dinner becoming a trend this week.

Lunch - an impromptu one with my best work buddy. Ditched the rollitos stored in the office fridge and went for a kebab. Lamb doner meat (no bread with onions and white cabbage. My veg intake for the week :D followed by 2 squares Coop 85% chocolate.

Dinner - small piece of the very large smoked salmon loin bought in Ikea. Pan fried with a lemon butter sauce. Delicious.

Editing to say, almost on topic (well kind of food related - made me think of you guys anyway ) just swooning at Monica Galetti on the One Show!

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Hope good day had by all
Breakfast half slice Hilo bread with fried egg
Lunch on the run - bit of ham and cheese
Mid pm cold and hungry one square of 81% choc with hot coffee and cream
Dinner ham mushroom and cheese omlette with salad and glass of red wine followed by raspberry clafoutis with cream
Busy serious Christmas shopping day planned for tomorrow in brum determined to stay there until most of stuff that needs to be done in shops ( non food items ) is done! Happy to internet shop but some things you need to see and or browse for ideas! Hotel Chocolat is also on the list!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another early dinner so posting while I remember.

Early: large cafetiere of coffee with cream.

Breakfast: DD breakfast sandwich

Went to a keep fit class in the village hall for over 55s. Not very strenuous but quite a good laugh nevertheless. A very friendly bunch. Cup of tea with milk afterwards ( didn’t want to appear picky or stand offish)

No lunch

Mid aft: 10g walnuts and coffee and cream

Dinner: Smoked duck breast with celeriac remoulade and lettuce followed by a bit of the local stinky cheese with a glass of red.
Finally an IP custard pot and a few Callebaut 100% chocolate buttons.

I hope everyone has had a good day.
Lovely day, wish I was able to pop off to a fitness class during daylight hrs this time of year, it’s hard finding the will to go when it’s dark and cold :arghh:

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that the surest, quickest way to bring down a high morning reading (dawn phenomenon) is to eat a protein and fat breakfast. Or just fat. No carbs at all. Not even a cherry tomato. Works like a charm. My bg is usually down to my normal daytime levels within an hour or two, and stays solidly there as long as the protein/fat is gently drip feeding into my system.

It took a very long time (couple of years) before my dawn phenomenon subsided enough for me to not bother with breakfast, and any kind of stress like bad sleep or a morning appt will cause it to come back.
Nowadays I just have a coffeesubstitute and cream, every morning, which stops any rise. Then I don’t bother with breakfast at all unless I am eating with someone socially. :)

What would "just fat" be I can only think of coffee and cream , what else would count ?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely day, wish I was able to pop off to a fitness class during daylight hrs this time of year, it’s hard finding the will to go when it’s dark and cold :arghh:

Tuesday was swimming night in the summer. Couldn’t summon up the enthusiasm with the rain pouring down and cold outside.

Reactions: ianpspurs

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, very cold here today, bit of travelling and lots of sitting around so not feeling very energetic this evening.
Coffee with cream on waking
B fage yogurt with the seed breakfast boost mix, strawberries and raspberries
L homemade chicken and mushroom soup, pack of pork scratchings
D fish, thank you mr Birdseye, kale and a fried egg, it was yummy, raspberries clafoutis with cream, glass of red

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You’re so right. Once I get home in the evening and its dark and cold outside, wild horses won’t get me out again.

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at a PPG event, took my own rollitos, pork scratchings and a banana Carb Killa bar
Mid afternoon: chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: low carb kedgeree (cauli rice, smoked mackerel, garlic, petit pois and eggs) followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Edit: forgot the garlic!