What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All

Hope you are in less pain today @ianpspurs

I finally got it together to do the DD chicken in garam masala for supper. Went down a treat. 3 portions left :D :wacky: :D

Had a chunk of cheese for a late brunch, then we went shopping for a new coat for Mr B. This was traumatic enough that we ended up in M&S’s cafe eating jacket potatoes.

Perhaps that’ll teach Mr B not to break the zip, pull off buttons, and wear holes in the pockets with bunches of keys.

Since this was M&S, it was sanctimoniously ‘healthy’ with low fat, salad and the jackets were only about the size of a duck egg. So no real harm. Especially in view of the amount of walking involved in the coat hunt.
The new coat is gorgeous.

Last of the xmas choc slab from Thorntons this evening. That has lasted really well. Nearly 2 weeks, i think.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All

Hope you are in less pain today @ianpspurs

I finally got it together to do the DD chicken in garam masala for supper. Went down a treat. 3 portions left :D :wacky: :D

Had a chunk of cheese for a late brunch, then we went shopping for a new coat for Mr B. This was traumatic enough that we ended up in M&S’s cafe eating jacket potatoes.

Perhaps that’ll teach Mr B not to break the zip, pull off buttons, and wear holes in the pockets with bunches of keys.

Since this was M&S, it was sanctimoniously ‘healthy’ with low fat, salad and the jackets were only about the size of a duck egg. So no real harm. Especially in view of the amount of walking involved in the coat hunt.
The new coat is gorgeous.

Last of the xmas choc slab from Thorntons this evening. That has lasted really well. Nearly 2 weeks, i think.
Ooh the dd garam Masala sounds good, I bought all the spices yesterday as I love mild Indian chicken dishes

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ouch! I find magnesium spray helps a lot with cramps - have had good results for calf, thigh & foot cramps over the years
I didn't know you could get magnesium spray. Not sure it would help me due to the cause of my injuries. Is it a prescription only thing?

Reactions: Chook

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 you can buy Magnesium spray, I use it occasionally. I get it from Amazon. But I also use Pink Himalayan salt instead of normal salt as it has magnesium in it.

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken and pistachios with cauliflower and broccoli salad, followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: gouda and chorizo rollitos with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by LC mini chocolate muffin with cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your concern - my foots ok but my back is still quite painful although it has improved somewhat across the week. The issues the group appears to have reactivated relate to a injurys sustained when I was driving up the motorway at 70mph and a lorry pulled out of his lane into the side of my car - it took ages to get painfree so Im particularly annoyed at it being reactivated. The thing that really annoyed me about the physio yesterday was that he had referred me to a general lower body exercise group but didn't take any medical history and then said that even if he had known about the back injury and the problems the group exercises have caused, he’d still have referred me. I didnt go into the appointment intensing to complain but his attitude just made me angry
Yikes! My accident was the same. LHD lorry- didn't see me. Unfortunately the way he caught my car he sent me into a spin then hit me again and I ended up travelling down the M6 wrapped around the front of the thing. I was astonished how common that type of accident is.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy Friday everyone!

Breakfast: Rose and raspberry chia pudding with raspberries. Rose water, natural raspberry flavouring. Coffee and cream.
Lunch: Sort of an omelette, if you can call it that, with avocado. I think I'll stick to making scrambled egg in the work microwave, as it was a bit rubbery for my liking. Mr B had cheese, prosciutto, avocado, cherry toms, cucumber, hm coleslaw.
Snack: Tea with a splash of milk for me. LC mocha muffin and almond milk cappuccino for Mr B.
Dinner: Leftover butter chicken from last night, leftover cauli rice stir fried with finely shredded kale, garlic, ginger and Garam Masala and a Tom Kerridge LC Coconut flatbread. SF jelly with cream.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yikes! My accident was the same. LHD lorry- didn't see me. Unfortunately the way he caught my car he sent me into a spin then hit me again and I ended up travelling down the M6 wrapped around the front of the thing. I was astonished how common that type of accident is.
Yes LHD lorry for me too - Spanish lorry, Bulgarian driver. For a while I got quite caught up in the stats about that kind of accident as I was forever coming across people who’d had the same thing happen - one of the scariest was a friend whose brother been ploughed into by a LH drive HGV on the M25 going over the QE bridge - scary
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3070844/Motorway-accidents-involving-foreign-lorries-soared-14-cent-Polish-drivers-topping-crash-league-table.

Last edited:

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
Breakfast - usual protein peanut & chocolate bar with cup of tea
Lunch - a very random collection (food shopping was being delivered tonight) of a tin of salmon, 6 slices of chorizo, a large chunk of cheese and a handful of salted peanuts
Mid afternoon - 2 coffees
Dinner - a chicken breast and 6 king prawns with salad leaves and Nando’s sauce - only just eaten this as just got back from swimming so later than I like. Originally thought I’d skip dinner but swimming always does that thing of making me feel empty afterwards so needed to eat

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 5.5 FBG 5.7 - Much better. @Boo1979 - I visited my good looking sadist today and glad to say my experience was different to yours. I've been having major hip problems which was concerning me as I don't need it on top of all the nerve damage I have from the crash. Thankfully , he's resolved it. Some pretty painful stretching and manipulation and hip joint is behaving itself. Busy day what with school run, off to physio, joint stretching, back to get boys, back with them for lunch, library then back to brother's to visit the family before they return to Australia. Now relaxing with right hip in a stretch position (been given homework).
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream and a very quick scrambled egg.
L. Slice of ox tongue and 4 santini tomatoes.
D. Burger with slice of applewood smoked cheddar, coleslaw, 4 santini tomatoes, 1/2 avocado and a few veggie chips. Oh and a portobello mushroom.
During the library visit (to pick up books on Mary Queen of Scots - historically accurate unlike the Hollywood version) boys decided they'd like another poster. No 1 went for the Periodic Table and then proceeded to test me on it while driving. He was impressed at what I could remember but chastised me for making mistakes! I did point out that it was getting on for 50 years since I'd memorised it.

Impressive recall of the periodic table there! I did chemistry A level but struggle in quiz programs now when questions about it come up. They’ve added a few dozen more elements too it always seems.
Have you seen the Mary Queen of Scots film? we were going tonight but daughter too tired in the end after a lot of early shifts. I’m not sure I’m going to like it with all the historical inaccuracies they’ve put in.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes LHD lorry for me too - Spanish lorry, Bulgarian driver. For a while I got quite caught up in the stats about that kind of accident as I was forever coming across people who’d had the same thing happen - one of the scariest was a friend whose brother been ploughed into by a LH drive HGV on the M25 going over the QE bridge - scary
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3070844/Motorway-accidents-involving-foreign-lorries-soared-14-cent-Polish-drivers-topping-crash-league-table.

I’m amazed that you and @maglil55 go near the roads now, I can’t imagine how terrifying those accidents must have been.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Have a lovely time at the party @shelley262 , hope they enjoy the cake.
@Boo1979 a hug for the pain, it’s awful that its been reactivated after so long.

Today I’ve had far too much coffee - note to self ‘ just because it’s a big coffee pot I don’t need to fill it’ it was exciting to have fresh coffee to hand all day though

Breakfast just coffee&cream ( lots)

Lunch an odd mix of leftovers - small spoonful of M&S Honduras prawns, seared artichokes, prawn cocktail, tiny bit of smoked salmon, rocket and olives. Sliver of HC yule log

Dinner slow roast belly pork with broccoli cheese and buttered cabbage. Was full after a couple of mouthfuls though so I reckon thats tomorrow’s lunch sorted.

Went to a Diabetes Workshop today and was very pleasantly surprised. It was organised by the local CCG and run by a local GP who was very switched on about Lchf. She talked about the need for patients to be proactive and not assume their medication would cure them, and how important it was to know your HbA1c ( nobody else there knew theirs) She told us not to drink fruit juice, even the ones labelled ‘no added sugar’ or eat ‘healthy’ cereal bars and generally talked a lot of sense about carbs, saying they all break down to sugar and they aren’t essential for energy!
It got a bit confused at the end when she said people should look at the packets and check fat content but all in all it wasnt a waste of time and I managed to spout on a bit about this forum which she seemed very supportive of. Wow!
PLeased it went so well. My cake went down well will type recipe up when get time it’s all scribbled notes at the moment!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
18-01-19

Breakfast, wasn't time, had half a cup of tea, no time for XBX or shower either, just a quick wash, dash off to the garage with motorhome and car.

Got back, made coffee, was going to have breakfast, discovered it was nearly lunchtime
So we had toast and pate
Lower Carb Bread, Cals 100 carb 10. Slice is slightly larger than burgen @ 36g
pate 130 Cals carbs 2
More coffee
Better count milk for day Cals 131, carbs 13
Shopping, then home again
Back to garage to fetch motorhome, no time for snack, then off to friends few miles away where it is temporarily housed.
home again.
EEK Granddaughters are arriving in two hours, so cooking is now priority, they will be hungry.
Parents will be here as well, to see daughter and new baby. Girls are staying for the w/e.
Made version of cottage pie to suit both my low carb diet and gluten free 7 year old.
Topping is mashed swede, carrot, and cauliflower, small amount of potato mixed in to one half of the topping. Served with broccoli and green beans.
One girl asked what was in it? Told her nothing she didn't like - she ate it and had seconds.
Girls had ice creams from the freezer,
I had full fat Greek yoghurt with berries and a teaspoon of honey. Cals 165, carbs 16
No idea of Cals or carbs in the main course.

Most of you would say no problem missing breakfast - but I am underweight and still losing.

Think will have supper today. Now. 10.30pm better not be carbs.
30g cheddar cheese, cup of tea

Bit pointless trying to work out totals today

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m amazed that you and @maglil55 go near the roads now, I can’t imagine how terrifying those accidents must have been.
I used to really enjoy motorway driving but have to say that I now avoid motorways as much as possible - if I have to go on one I stay in the inside lane and will only overtake a lorry if the middle and outside lanes are both clear. On the bright side, my dislike of motorway driving combined with having a senior railcard means I now travel by first class rail watching films on my Ipad, which is much more relaxing than driving

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Boo1979 you have my cat!!!! And I'd love to have your rail card. Do you know if tourists can get them?
Hello everyone. Today has been a weird day, despite waking up on the right side of the bed and getting where I needed to be on time. Took Mom to dr for earwax removal, and she freaked out afterwards, at all the new noises!

Bfast: 1/2 avocado, egg, decaf/soy/cream
Lunch with Mom: salad greens, "Greek" green beans, which I shouldn't have eaten as I think they had sugar in the tomato sauce, a FABULOUS pan-seared medium rare ahi tuna steak, Mom's on a potato bun, mine neat. She thinks it's a different restaurant (called Grandma's Pies....), so the poor manager has to tell her, no pie today, ma'am, maybe the cheesecake? She likes to have dessert, so we chose some spiced pumpkin mousse. It was nasty, and I played with my spoon in it, probably ingesting 1/8 tsp sugar, but that didn't convince her I was eating, so she ate very little. I must keep learning lessons about restaurants, but don't get much chance to learn or apply!
Snack once home: ah yes, the stress eating reared its head. My excuse was, I should have chocolate to pay for all those "no,s" I had to say to Mom, who wanted to go out for entertainment after the dr, lunch, and a nice walk. So, 2 squares 90% chocolate, with a side of cream.
Supper: should not have eaten so much, but craving fiber and the benefits thereof: 3 cherry tomatoes, some broccoli, swiss cheese, and my bread with butter (fat helpful too).
Walk next.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to really enjoy motorway driving but have to say that I now avoid motorways as much as possible - if I have to go on one I stay in the inside lane and will only overtake a lorry if the middle and outside lanes are both clear. On the bright side, my dislike of motorway driving combined with having a senior railcard means I now travel by first class rail watching films on my Ipad, which is much more relaxing than driving
I got rid of my car this year but do have two motorcycles and on those, avoid motorways. I also have my senior railcard and a two together card if Mrs Miggins is with me.I agree, first class travel on a train is much more relaxing.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Definitely a more relaxing way to travel. I paid for a first class upgrade recently, it was only £10 extra and it was great to be able to go to the first class lounge on arrival at the station and have free coffee and a nice loo. The journey was less than 2 hrs but worth it I think. I’m glad you’ve found a nice alternative.

Reactions: zauberflote