What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. The toffee one looks great. Mine look like the all in one version. Not sure I have the patience for layers though.
It seems a fairly forgiving recipe, doesn’t mind being played about with a bit, so I am indebted to you for original posting
For me it needs toffee or something to make high % chocolate half way palatable. Cream would do it but ATM I am finding that very hard to tolerate. We have some 0 carb and cal syrups so may need to aerate and drop some in. I'll suggest that to the staff.:angelic:

Reactions: zauberflote

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent article thank you for this @Brunneria particulary interested in the bits about ketones and what high levels mean @Goonergal think you’ll be interested in this article if you haven’t seen it before. I found article very reassuring and backed up my experience I think.

Have read it now. Very interesting and backed up by my experience while doing carnivore - the higher FBG I used to see the morning after eating larger amounts of protein than normal have disappeared - the past week in particular I’ve eaten loads of protein with all BG levels being lower than normal. Doesn’t seem to have impacted on ketones either.

@DJC3 hope the IF goes well

@shelley262 thanks for the advice re lemon and butter. Sounds like too much lemon tonight. Tasted good but sauce a bit runny.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have read it now. Very interesting and backed up by my experience while doing carnivore - the higher FBG I used to see the morning after eating larger amounts of protein than normal have disappeared - the past week in particular I’ve eaten loads of protein with all BG levels being lower than normal. Doesn’t seem to have impacted on ketones either.

@DJC3 hope the IF goes well

@shelley262 thanks for the advice re lemon and butter. Sounds like too much lemon tonight. Tasted good but sauce a bit runny.
So just to clarify. Protein is ok this week?

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tedious day at home doing Mr B's tax return :bigtears:. Oh well, at least there were left over sausage rolls for lunch, which were surprisingly nicer cold.

Breakfast: Chocolate and Almond Chia. Almond milk cappuccino with a splash of cream.
Mid morning: Almond milk cappuccino with a splash of cream.
Lunch: Fathead sausage rolls, hm coleslaw, salad, a few hm roasted smokey spicy nuts.
Dinner: Oven baked chicken fajitas (snap @Emma_369), red pepper, hm Pico de Gallo (like salsa - red onion, tomato, green chilli, lime, coriander), cheese, smashed avocado, sour cream. Served with hm LC tortilla (gnom-gnom.com). Small square of 85% choc.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hosted a pampered chef party many, many years ago and still have a lot of their stuff @zauberflote . Think they are no longer trading in the UK though:arghh: which is a shame as I love their products

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast:Homemade granola and hi lo toast with butter
Lunch: Ham, cheese stuffed peppers (must stop buying, must stop buying), cucumber, cherry tomatoes. Last of chocolate and raspberry clafoutis, extra thick cream.
Dinner: Four slices of bacon, scrambled eggs, one livlife slice toasted with butter.
Snacks: Salt and vinegar nuts and far too much chocolate all be it 90% :(

Pleased to announce I have put a total of six pounds on!!! Not after eating the above today I hasten to add:p Feel much better and am pretty much near a satisfactory weight now. Lots of folk on this thread transforming themselves one way or the other but never thought it would be so difficult putting weight on. Well done to everyone, whatever your goal is x

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't make the shortbread, but I'm sure it must be possible. I served it with some spiced Swiss biscuits (Ottolenghi recipe), they were lovely but not particularly crisp. I think I recollect you're not keen on coconut, but is almond flour / ground almonds okay?
Logically shortbread should be easy to do. Very few ingredients in the original recipe. A mix of almond with some fine milled flaxseed might work. I'd use Monk Fruit classic for The sugar substitute.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold bbq chicken, leafy salad, one cherry tomato, cucumber and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: Starbucks coconut cappuccino and a LC ‘Bounty’
Dinner at Las Iguanas: I took a winger on a Brazilian dish called Bahian Coconut Chicken which was described as “Chicken breast strips pan-fried in cumin, coriander & cayenne & cooked in a creamy coconut sauce with ginger, garlic, tomatoes & coriander.” I had it with a side salad and my blood sugar luckily went down by 0.5mmol at the 2 hour mark!

Edit to add, I just reread my post, I think I overdosed on coconut today! And to think I hated coconut before my type 2 diagnosis and going low carb! My tastes have changed so much!

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6 1. FBG 6.4. Very icy here too so woolly hat still the order of the day. The pantomime was coming to school today so the boys looking forward to school. Sleeping beauty this year. No 1 wanted to know if this was the same beauty in beauty and the beast?
B Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream and a very quick 2 scrambled eggs as I was off to Aqua Zumba.
L. Nothing - did a shop at Marks after Aqua then back home to discover a large package from the Bank - Title Deeds , standard securities etc. Everything being returned now the mortgage is no more.
D. Posh tonight. Wilted down some spinach with wild mushrooms to make a bed for mallard duck breast. Simple sauce with white wine vinegar and the Monk fruit maple syrup. Had some berries and cream after.
Only got 2 of the large drawers in the kitchen done today as the boys are here for a while. Was helping with the origami - it is quite relaxing.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Logically shortbread should be easy to do. Very few ingredients in the original recipe. A mix of almond with some fine milled flaxseed might work. I'd use Monk Fruit classic for The sugar substitute.
I agree and will give it a whirl. I think ensuring the almonds are very finely milled will help too. I always blitz ground almonds in the nutribullet before I use for baking, as I think gives better results.

I'm still trying to overcome my excitement at finding some Keto yeasted bread recipes on gnom-gnom.com. They look too good to be true, but will definitely give them a go. I really miss that yeasty flavour, as someone who used to bake bread from scratch every week.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Goonergal do you put lemon zest in the sauce?
@dunelm forgive me but the most I ever learned was ... —- ... my phone will not do hyphens separated any more. My dad used to sign with “88s” written just like that. I only learned what it was in my late teens, having read it in a book.
@ianpspurs bunnies is fluffy and cyoot probably also what emma_369 says.
@Brunneria you keep saying “Wensleydale” much more and I’ma hafta go to Costco and pretend it’s Thanksgiving all over again!
@BibaBee THANK YOU for casually mentioning your hm lc tortilla source!!! I have been contemplating trying to reverse engineer the ones I eat, but baking them would be so much better!
Congratulations @Tori71 on the gain! I will try to send you my next couple if they come off!
Welcome @SharonScipio !! Glad to have you here.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
So today was the day of wildly fluctuating bg’s as well as the feeling awful. Who knows what’s going on.
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg, <1/4 cup mixed nuts, decaf/cream/soy. I took the decaf to my nest on the couch and just rested all morning. Yuk.
Lunch didn’t need at lunchtime but ate some a bit later. Celery, cinnamon bun chia pudding (cinnamon, butter and a little soy milk). Learned I should add the butter *after* the chia has soaked!
After an errand, a short slow walk. Started celeriac soup first.
Supper cherry toms, some “not quite what I had in mind but my potato masher is packed away in a box” creamy celeriac stuff with a little parmeggiano on it, swiss cheese, and I think I will have a square of 86% chocolate now.
Celeriac, celeriac, where have you been all my life? I could have eaten the whole pot of “soup”, two whole roots’ worth. Is it supposed to be this sweet? Yum.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Very quick post as have to head out to Pilates. Will catch up properly later. @shelley262 @Brunneria article looks interesting, will read once back home.

A fishy day today. Lunch was smoked salmon and some of the delicious M&S whipped creamy cheese.

Dinner was pan fried Dover sole with a lemon butter sauce followed by , you’ve guessed it, extra thick double cream. Need some advice on the lemon butter sauce - can’t quite get the lemon/butter balance right. Either too thin or not lemony enough. Thoughts?

On another note, this might be of interest to people on this thread - being promoted by David Unwin on Twitter. @Debandez and I are both signed up.

https://realfoodrocks.co.uk/about/
I have all my hopes pinned on the low carb cooking demos!!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
do you put lemon zest in the sauce?

No, just the juice. That’s a good idea about the zest to intensify flavour without liquid as I prefer to fry the fish for a crispy skin and add a separate sauce.

So today was the day of wildly fluctuating bg’s as well as the feeling awful. Who knows what’s going on.

Sorry to hear that. Hope it’s just one of those days.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bet it will be like bread in that saying it works would be alternative facts but hope someone proves me wrong.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, just the juice. That’s a good idea about the zest to intensify flavour without liquid as I prefer to fry the fish for a crispy skin and add a separate sauce.

Sorry to hear that. Hope it’s just one of those days.

Goonergal, we have a Lemonpepper seasoning mix. The commercially sourced one we have (bought abroad) has a bit of sugar in it, but in reality so little is used. There are also some easy seasoning mix recipes out there, with justy salt, pepper and lemon zest, like this one: https://wellnessmama.com/4538/lemon-pepper-recipe/

I'd be inclined to dehydrate the lemon zest, but that's just because I could.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree and will give it a whirl. I think ensuring the almonds are very finely milled will help too. I always blitz ground almonds in the nutribullet before I use for baking, as I think gives better results.

I'm still trying to overcome my excitement at finding some Keto yeasted bread recipes on gnom-gnom.com. They look too good to be true, but will definitely give them a go. I really miss that yeasty flavour, as someone who used to bake bread from scratch every week.
I've just had the SAF yeast delivered with vital wheat gluten but I'm still struggling to get this sprouted whole wheat flour. Can't say I fancy sprouting it myself. I have ordered some but the order just says Pending. Other suppliers have replied to say they can't get it.
I'll have a look at gnom gnom. Hubby got me the mill for the Kenwood at Christmas time so I'll be doing some fine milling too if I ever finish this kitchen clearance.