What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DCUKMod every time that butter chicken is mentioned here I swear I’m going to try it. Didn’t realize it was curry; “butter” was enough...THANK YOU for the link, bc now I have CMT to put the recipe in! Ahhh, I see it— looks delicious. I’ll just make my own spices for it. 1/2 tsp cayenne lasts me 5 years!
@PenguinMum I have @listlad’s very simple chocolate ice creamgelato recipe in my Copy Me That. Only odd ingredient is the sweetener. I think that coffee powder could sub for the cocoa powder. Are you on CMT? I’ll add you to my circle
@Goonergal back on the bucket list go the trains! Comfort is everything, and if we’re on vacation we’re on island time. GB being an island, who cares if the train is late
@shelley262 that’s what I mean about trains! Were you talking about booking this trip way back last fall? I seem to remember some discussion. Have a wonderful trip! (We don’t run to first class that I know of. Cattle class for all, it’s the US of A after all! Probably have to bring my own food...
Bfast

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod every time that butter chicken is mentioned here I swear I’m going to try it. Didn’t realize it was curry; “butter” was enough...THANK YOU for the link, bc now I have CMT to put the recipe in! Ahhh, I see it— looks delicious. I’ll just make my own spices for it. 1/2 tsp cayenne lasts me 5 years!
@PenguinMum I have @listlad’s very simple chocolate ice creamgelato recipe in my Copy Me That. Only odd ingredient is the sweetener. I think that coffee powder could sub for the cocoa powder. Are you on CMT? I’ll add you to my circle
@Goonergal back on the bucket list go the trains! Comfort is everything, and if we’re on vacation we’re on island time. GB being an island, who cares if the train is late
@shelley262 that’s what I mean about trains! Were you talking about booking this trip way back last fall? I seem to remember some discussion. Have a wonderful trip! (We don’t run to first class that I know of. Cattle class for all, it’s the US of A after all! Probably have to bring my own food...
Bfast
Yes booked in January when I got bargain tickets hence first class I never travel first so it’s going to be a real luxury for us. Hotel a deal too.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
emoji16.png

My two most memorable train experiences are:

1) from the early 1990s having bought an Indrail pass and booked a raft of journeys through India using the (then) UKs only official seller of Indian rail passes (the legendary Dr Dandapani of Wembley), turning up at New Delhi railway station to collect the passes and reservations, the complete wonder when from an ENORMOUS pile of huge ledger books, they picked the right one and there in pen and ink, were our names. And as if by magic our reservations were printed.

2) Appealing to my sense of order, the precision with which Japanese trains pull in exactly in line with the marked spots for queueing and on time to the second.

Can’t comment on the food on either.

Don’t forget our canal walk plans when you make it over here!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bfast

Twosleevers seems to be a wonderful cook. I've made a few of her things.

Last edited:
Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Oops
Bfast usual 1/2 avocado, egg, treat of sauerkraut, DWSAC. Woke up to only second normal FBG since I started in Sept, and that meal drove it up by 1.72. I can’t win fer losin’! Usual meal rise is round about 0.67 for any “good” meal, including bfast. Arrgghh.
Lunch seltzer, DWEVOO&S
Supper 1 before barre class. Hmmmm.
Supper 2 at pill time chunk of cheese. Might have to make that microwave mess from yesterday, I feel like it’s what got me that normal FBG.
Currently engaged in freezing some olive oil so I can refrigerate it to have a spoonful from time to time. My fancy butter is too addictive. Olive oil smarts going down, so it’s harder to do too much of it.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Cheese and Vegemite toasted sandwiches.
Dinner: Steak and veggies including some sweet tater that got in our order somehow.
Breakfast: Same as yesterday, I just rinse and repeat. Three egg cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated cooked spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee with out sugar /sweeteners, water.

Currently engaged in freezing some olive oil so I can refrigerate it to have a spoonful from time to time. My fancy butter is too addictive. Olive oil smarts going down, so it’s harder to do too much of it.
I put a good splash of olive oil in my omelette every day when I am mixing all the ingredients together.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Goonergal will have to make more than one visit, I see that now. Canal walk and see your new decorations comes before trains!
@PenguinMum and @Chook if I can do it with technology, you can too!
I made another, larger, microwave mess! 2 egg whites, a little olive oil, polite amt of AB, whisked. Chia seed, coconut flour, lots more flax than yesterday because I really do love the flavor. “Some/enough” water. In the pyrex cup it was a batter, not at all thick/sticky. It ain’t pretty, but smells awfully good. Time for 1st supper. Verdict delicious!! Dense, moist, mild but flavorful, and very very filling. I ate less than 1/4 of the loaf. The almond butter is exactly the right thing. Peanut butter would also be right, with a stronger flavor. I know nobody’s going to want this peasant fare, but here it HTS. Reminds me of college days when my first flat mate taught me to cook “messes”, wish I could remember what we called them, by the seat of my pants. They were usually rolled oat based, and sweetish. My enduring (and now thwarted) love of oatmeal began there in 1977. Concoctions! That was it.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Tipetoo I use olive oil exclusively except for a family chocolate cake recipe, which Mr ZF would detest if it didn’t taste like our wedding lol. I loove the stuff.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Due to being busy preparing house for grandchildren on Thursday and 2/3 of the tribe at the weekend followed by travelling into deepest. darkest Breckland today = OMAD. The Djalili was keralan chicken curry with celeriac rice. All very nice and all that. Allegedly, under 1000 calories and under 20 gms carbs but obs about as much use as a lead balloon for bg control @DJC3 thanks for IP beef hints - but no blood - what sort of steak/beef is that?:angelic:
Got to love a good Djalili.

Reactions: Chook and ianpspurs

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Marsala eggs, black tea, black coffee.
Was shopping longer than intended so had half a chocolate and nut cake bar thing that I bought yesterday, then a bowl of tomato soup and sourdough toast in a cafe.
Snack. Lots of mixed nuts
D. Stirfry of mixed vege, tofu, lentil noodles.

bhurji - really nice eggs

Reactions: Chook

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oven does 60 degrees - chose one that went low deliberately - and beef is often big. Sous vide could be even lower for smaller joints.
I can do sous vide in a cast iron lidded pot, in the oven with my Ikea long lead temperature probe.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today we went to Fredericksburg and then on the Luckenbach, made famous by Willie Nelson.
35 degrees so dodging in and out of shade all day.
Breakfast; Texas sausage and eggs with avocado.
Lunch;
Pedernales Philly -Tender ribeye sautéed with onions, peppers and mushrooms, smothered in melted provolone cheese and served on a toasted hoagie bun which I dumped.
Dinner; salad with crispy bacon and some Texas merlot.

upload_2019-4-9_20-0-55.jpeg

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today we went to Fredericksburg and then on the Luckenbach, made famous by Willie Nelson.
35 degrees so dodging in and out of shade all day.
Breakfast; Texas sausage and eggs with avocado.
Lunch;
Pedernales Philly -Tender ribeye sautéed with onions, peppers and mushrooms, smothered in melted provolone cheese and served on a toasted hoagie bun which I dumped.
Dinner; salad with crispy bacon and some Texas merlot.

View attachment 32262
Don’t Mess With Texas :D

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning everyone, lots of lovely sunshine today (at the moment). :)

I'm a bit gobsmacked this morning - someone (a lorry driver) who works in my husband's department has been finally 'let go' due to increasing peripheral neuropathy in his feet and diabetic issues with his eyes (not sure exactly what). Mr C had to do all the interviews during his decline and the driver in question is devastated as he is only in his mid 50s. Thing is, he's Type 2, and a while back Mr C and he had talked about me using low carb as a way of controlling it . After the final interview and as they were saying goodbye Mr C asked him (off the record) whether he had thought any more about low carb and the driver said - incredibly - that it wasn't for him because he would hate life without eating bread. ***?!?! :banghead:

Breakfast: 100g Brie (no carbs) - woo hoo - I've finally found something that stops my dawn phenomenon from rising - its the first thing I've found that works as well as bacon and eggs.

Lunch: 30g mixed nuts: pecans, walnuts, Brazil nuts - maybe a bit of chocolate if I can find some in the freezer - unusual for me but I'm in a chocolate kinda mood

Dinner: @Dr Snoddy 's masala eggs - modified to use what I already have in my kitchen (Asda delivery scheduled for tomorrow) . I'm using ordinary cherry tomatoes, half a red chilli (no seeds) and fresh coriander.

Drinks: black decaff coffee and still spring water

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone, lots of lovely sunshine today (at the moment). :)

I'm a bit gobsmacked this morning - someone (a lorry driver) who works in my husband's department has been finally 'let go' due to increasing peripheral neuropathy in his feet and diabetic issues with his eyes (not sure exactly what). Mr C had to do all the interviews during his decline and the driver in question is devastated as he is only in his mid 50s. Thing is, he's Type 2, and a while back Mr C and he had talked about me using low carb as a way of controlling it . After the final interview and as they were saying goodbye Mr C asked him (off the record) whether he had thought any more about low carb and the driver said - incredibly - that it wasn't for him because he would hate life without eating bread. ***?!?! :banghead:

Breakfast: 100g Brie (no carbs) - woo hoo - I've finally found something that stops my dawn phenomenon from rising - its the first thing I've found that works as well as bacon and eggs.

Lunch: 30g mixed nuts: pecans, walnuts, Brazil nuts - maybe a bit of chocolate if I can find some in the freezer - unusual for me but I'm in a chocolate kinda mood

Dinner: @Dr Snoddy 's masala eggs - modified to use what I already have in my kitchen (Asda delivery scheduled for tomorrow) . I'm using ordinary cherry tomatoes, half a red chilli (no seeds) and fresh coriander.

Drinks: black decaff coffee and still spring water
Good news on the DP control with Brie - could be worth me eating breakfast from time to time to try that. On the sad news re husband's colleague I have said elsewhere that just blaming HCPs and eatwell plate is way too simplistic. People who post here are not a representative sample of T2 diabetics IMHO.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@dunelm fancy name for a Philly cheese steak. How can you eat like that when it’s 102F out there? Although... it just occurs to me that non-carby meals don’t raise my heart rate. This will be an interesting summer to test that!
@Chook poor let-go driver was probably clinging to the familiar. For me, stress=Do Need Familiar Routine To Anchor Me. ETA just had another thought about what @ianpspurs said about atypicalness of this forum: personality has much to do with it. I am a type who seeks out support for issues where I’m completely ignorant. One of the things that has kept me on this WOE path is specifically this thread and the ppl here. If I were a different type of person, I might never have even looked online (or locally or whatever suits the tech temperament) for help, info, advice. So, to state the obvious, we self-select. I’m hopeless with metric as we never made the switch back when we were supposed to. How many tbsp would 100g brie be? Glad it stops your DP!! And long live chocolate
@ianpspurs I agree with you re this forum not being typical of at least T2. I was eating in a restaurant next to a long table of good ol’ boys, and overheard their discussion of their T2. They’d all ordered dessert. They were talking which meds they used. I was trying to get the mango gloop off my fish...maybe you know the type- our good ol’ boys are semi-retired businessmen with connections to everything local, philanthropists with their time and gifts, doting granddads, do anything to help you, and country boys at heart. And here, perfect Virginia Gentlemen.

No idea what’s for food today beyond usual bfast and seltzer, and 2 suppers. Last night Barre (fancy name for toning class), tonight ballet. There’d better be some musical work in between meals!

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@dunelm fancy name for a Philly cheese steak. How can you eat like that when it’s 102F out there? Although... it just occurs to me that non-carby meals don’t raise my heart rate. This will be an interesting summer to test that!
@Chook poor let-go driver was probably clinging to the familiar. For me, stress=Do Need Familiar Routine To Anchor Me. ETA just had another thought about what @ianpspurs said about atypicalness of this forum: personality has much to do with it. I am a type who seeks out support for issues where I’m completely ignorant. One of the things that has kept me on this WOE path is specifically this thread and the ppl here. If I were a different type of person, I might never have even looked online (or locally or whatever suits the tech temperament) for help, info, advice. So, to state the obvious, we self-select. I’m hopeless with metric as we never made the switch back when we were supposed to. How many tbsp would 100g brie be? Glad it stops your DP!! And long live chocolate
@ianpspurs I agree with you re this forum not being typical of at least T2. I was eating in a restaurant next to a long table of good ol’ boys, and overheard their discussion of their T2. They’d all ordered dessert. They were talking which meds they used. I was trying to get the mango gloop off my fish...maybe you know the type- our good ol’ boys are semi-retired businessmen with connections to everything local, philanthropists with their time and gifts, doting granddads, do anything to help you, and country boys at heart. And here, perfect Virginia Gentlemen.

No idea what’s for food today beyond usual bfast and seltzer, and 2 suppers. Last night Barre (fancy name for toning class), tonight ballet. There’d better be some musical work in between meals!

I don't know what 100g is in tablespoons (we mostly don't measure anything except liquids in tablespoons - and I think our tablespoon measurement is bigger than yours) but 100g is about 3.5 ounces, so quite a big chunk of cheese. It's certainly easier and less boring for me to eat than eggs and bacon every day.

I've been brooding on the issue of my husband's lorry driver... I remember Mr C telling me about discussing low carb with him a few months ago (Mr C is a bit evangelical about LC) - and about the sorts of things we eat, etc, so it's not ignorance of the possibilities of LC, I think he has actually decided that carbs are more important to him than his health.