What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now pay attention, and I quote from my post “with a smidge of low sugar ketchup (I didn’t eat even half of what’s in the pic!)”;):joyful:
Well I confess to doing the same. :D

Do you make your own low sugar ketchup or do you buy it? I have a sneaky feeling I might have seen it on the shelves in supermarkets.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was taken with a Crapple iPod about six or seven years ago, about the only thing the iPod had going for it, it did make a handy unobtrusive camera.

It has passed on to where dead electronic junk goes to.
Agreed. I never made full use of my iPod either.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This was for yesterday.
Lunch: 110g prosciutto and 80g hard cheese
Dinner: 300g prawns, 186g broccolini and a dipping sauce made from whole egg mayonnaise with some Huy Yong chili garlic sauce stirred in, then 40g cheese for dessert.

Eating whole fat mayo is a hell of an adjustment - it’s one of the foods I’ve avoided for years because fat=bad mentality. I’m going to compare labels carefully and if light versions have higher carbs I think I’ll avoid those for now. Ditto for light vs pure cream.

I’m not even letting myself think about life without fruit yet, LOL.
You sound a bit like I did a few months back. I have had to recondition my thinking on food in the same way. :D

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast today; Starbucks Sous Vide Egg Bites: Bacon & Gruyere.
Lunch; street food - cheeseburger with all the trimmings - hold the bun.
Dinner; Chicken and bacon cob salad and a couple of boiled eggs.

View attachment 32337
The sous vide egg bite is now on the food fairies to do list - remembered I found a recipe some time ago and bacon +gruyere would be tolerable in an emergency.

Reactions: maglil55 and dunelm

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The sous vide egg bite is now on the food fairies to do list - remembered I found a recipe some time ago and bacon +gruyere would be tolerable in an emergency.

Egg bites can also be done in the magic cauldron, if you want or need a faster fix than the sous vide method can deliver. Just sayin'

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Roma Ciampino Airport is quite small, modern and “sanitised” inside. I didn’t see such stands at this one. There was a section of the duty free area selling local delicacy food products but in typical large duty free type form and quantities. The mixed nuts filled the gap till we got back to Blighty. The pizza looked great but I could only watch as the family chomped their way through it. I then made up for it though with a Thai buffet on arrival in Manchester.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I confess to doing the same. :D

Do you make your own low sugar ketchup or do you buy it? I have a sneaky feeling I might have seen it on the shelves in supermarkets.
Yup low sugar, I have Heinz at the moment 11.4g carb per 100g so I probably had less than 1g carbs worth!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was
Breakfast: 1 slice HiLo toast, thick butter, tea.
Lunch: 1 cold chicken thigh Little Gem leaves. Wasnt going to bother but while preparing two cold plates for the boys I succombed.
Supper: Indian t/a Chicken Bhuna, cauliflower Bhajee, half a bottle dry Rose wine.
I knew I would pay a price and I did (this mornings FBG) but sometimes dry chicken breast is just not palatable.
Today: Defo no breakfast though may do small bacon, egg brunch with OH.
Supper: have defrosted h/m coq au vin and will have brocolli. There is still that half bottle of Rose in the fridge which probably is the culprit too because I get on much better with my beloved G&ST but last night I threw caution to the wind. Need to rein in fast. Happy days everyone.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Egg bites can also be done in the magic cauldron, if you want or need a faster fix than the sous vide method can deliver. Just sayin'
An old Fen saying puts it thus: As a hammer does not saw so also an IP does not sous vide eggs.

Reactions: zauberflote

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It's amazing how much better you feel after a good night's sleep - and my BGs are a bit better today (but a long way from perfect). Mr C, after much deliberation, decided the ideal present to give me after his trip away was some Marks and Spencer chocolate and some of their white Stilton with cranberries (I'm fairly sure he got them from the Doncaster motorway services. Chocolate went straight in the freezer but I couldn't resist the cheese - what a weird texture that cheese has!!!!! Sort of bitty - not nice.

So, today....

Breakfast: usual Sunday treat 'full English' of egg, bacon, high meat content chipolatas, mushrooms fried in butter and some baked beans (BG substantially lower after 2 hours PP than it was before eating)
Lunch: probably a small chunk of the M&S white Stilton with cranberries (which I'll share with the dogs)
Dinner: seafood dish with prawns, mussels, squid, etc with konjac spaghetti (low calorie/low carb dinner needed after that big breakfast)
Drinks: decaff coffee, still spring water and a glass or two of red wine

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Not convicted that these were actually made in a water bath - they may have, but it might just be a marketing tag. Anyhow, had these in New York last year and they are just eggs, bacon and cheese (other flavours available) -you get two and they make a decent breakfast or on the go snack. I have made similar at home in muffin tins.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup low sugar, I have Heinz at the moment 11.4g carb per 100g so I probably had less than 1g carbs worth!
I normally have a splodge of brown sauce with my cooked breakfast and found that the Morrisons brand was lowest at 3.4g per tablespoon.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook the story of the White Stilton made me laugh from getting it from the m/w services to sharing it with the dogs. I would have been less PC and binned it. Reminded me of the garage forecourt flowers I used to get until I put a stop to it. Btw who thinks putting dried fruit in cheese is a good idea...bizarre to me!

Reactions: DJC3 and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cheap cut flowers are an abomination. But I really hate cut flowers anyway because when I first met Mr C he worked constant nights and good friend of his had persuaded him that it would be a good idea to earn extra money by working for an Undertaker during the day when he should have been asleep (they got paid by the job). One of the 'perks' was to occasionally bring home any cremation flowers as, obviously, there was no grave for them to be placed on. But I didn't know this. So there was me thinking 'Ah, isn't he sweet and thoughtful '. It was my daughter that worked out first where, exactly, the flowers were coming from and she thought it was funny but it gave me the mega creeps and I've never liked cut flowers since.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny..but thats another thing I dont understand floral arrangements for cremations. I’m not having that lol.

Reactions: DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Same for me - I just don't understand why people pay out loads of money on funerals. Totally unnecessary.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed Friday 8.4 FBG 7.2. Still getting unexplained surges. The 8.4 was on descent from a 10.8!! I can only assume it's the not feeling too good that is doing it. Saturday, I thought my legs had recovered but shopping soon told me otherwise.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. 1 sausage wrapped in streaky bacon on return from the shops.
D. Cold cut day. Slice each roast pork, chicken. 2 slices of that Asda halal mortadella with paprika (very addictive) , 2 tiny slices of each of the German sausage selection, veggie chips, coleslaw, egg mayonnaise.
Coffee later with 1/3 PhD raspberry bar.
Washing machine will require a Samsung engineer. Error codes indicated a water problem. No? Really? Having checked the filters and the infill filter, no kinks in hoses decided to go again. Machine is overfilling - water doesnt want to stop. Watched it like a hawk and its draining fine so no Niagara Falls in the kitchen this time.
Today - legs a bit better. Bed 7.8 FBG was also 7.8 and no pre bed horror reading. Did get a DP into the low 8's but that's better than the last few days.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice of that Asda mortadella with paprika. Got a Dr Almond eifel brot on the go and had 2 slices of that later with pate.
L. TAG with ADOC. 2 Squares Godiva 90%.
D. Usual Campari and soda. Main might vary. Making Hubby an individual beef Wellington. I have the fillet and a mushroom/pate mix but I'm in the process of attempting a low carb flaky pastry which may or may not work. Still got 4 more roll, fold, turn, roll, fold, chill to go. It's getting more pastry like but not convinced yet. Will cook a bit on it's own as I dont want to ruin the fillet. Further info to follow,
Will probably have veggie chips, mushrooms and spinach with it.
Watch this space.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2nd Ocado delivery arrived today.

Late Breakfast / Early Lunch : Scrambled egg made with double cream, crispy streaky bacon and a slice of hovis low carb bread. A wee dab of brown sauce. 200ml glass of full fat milk.

Dinner: Jumbo prawns fried in butter with a dusting of paprika, with fried halloumi cheese accompanied by cauliflower rice. Sugar free cordial.

Tea.

Will be making a keto raspberry ripple ice cream this evening.

54948F72-C1CA-443B-BCC6-41C1AD505459.jpeg

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B - have discovered that with a few tweaks I can turn the teff bread recipe into pancakes which were lovely! Topped with peanut butter / greek yoghurt / coconut milk pouring mixture. Enough left over for tomorrow:hungry:
L - went with friends to an all-you-can-eat buffet brunch. Was actually lunch. With breakfast pastries. And tiramisu. Say no more:oops:
D - boiled eggs with sausage dipping 'soldiers'