What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Bfast usual 1/2 avocado, egg, DWSAC, and some of the delicious chocolate gelato from yesterday. Needed a big boost -- very rough night last night what with having just a leeeetle too much taste-testing of the gelato too close to bedtime, a wild storm that knocked out the power causing Mr ZF's snore machine to shut off with him all unaware, him having ... oh never mind! The power eventually came back on many hours later: whole new set of wakings. FBG through the roof.
Lunch chicken broth with plenty of salt, seltzer
First supper celery, wilted spinach w hm dressing, and one of three muffins made from the pancake recipe. Even better than the pancakes, and so very make-a-big-batch-and-freeze-able! Not to mention portable.
Concert, all gone stressful piccolo music!
Second supper the remaining muffins.
Sleep well all, my horrified sympathies on Notre Dame, good morning to those who rise early!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG - a kilo of mushrooms!!! Soup? You could freeze it in portions. Fry them in butter and open freeze for later use.

What are you going to do with a kilo of strawberries?
Strawberries will be easy as will simply blend to make a sauce then freeze and await a shipment of chia seeds so can then make jam or use in chia seed pudding etc. What do you mean by open freeze? Was also going to try to use the mushrooms instead of tofu in some recipes I have. Also garlicky mushrooms on teff bread may be on the menu!:hungry:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bfast usual 1/2 avocado, egg, DWSAC, and some of the delicious chocolate gelato from yesterday. Needed a big boost -- very rough night last night what with having just a leeeetle too much taste-testing of the gelato too close to bedtime, a wild storm that knocked out the power causing Mr ZF's snore machine to shut off with him all unaware, him having ... oh never mind! The power eventually came back on many hours later: whole new set of wakings. FBG through the roof.
Lunch chicken broth with plenty of salt, seltzer
First supper celery, wilted spinach w hm dressing, and one of three muffins made from the pancake recipe. Even better than the pancakes, and so very make-a-big-batch-and-freeze-able! Not to mention portable.
Concert, all gone stressful piccolo music!
Second supper the remaining muffins.
Sleep well all, my horrified sympathies on Notre Dame, good morning to those who rise early!
That chocolate gelato is quite good. Well, very good. My little girl preferred it to the raspberry ripple version. We noticed btw, that in Italy they referred to her as a piccoletta.

On snoring, I was rather hoping that reversing diabetic symptoms might also reverse my tendency to snore. :D

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Strawberries will be easy as will simply blend to make a sauce then freeze and await a shipment of chia seeds so can then make jam or use in chia seed pudding etc. What do you mean by open freeze? Was also going to try to use the mushrooms instead of tofu in some recipes I have. Also garlicky mushrooms on teff bread may be on the menu!:hungry:

Open freeze is (for me) to put a layer of baking paper on a flat tray, spread out whatever you want to freeze, just put the loaded try on top of other stuff so it's flat, once it's frozen then put in to a bag / bags, seal and label. It probably means something totally different to other people.

Reactions: DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, @zauberflote it's awful about Notre Dame, my sympathies are with the French people.

Today's Chook menu....

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs
Lunch: some leftover romaine lettuce spread with leftover houmous
Dinner: slow cooker chicken stew with celeriac, swede, leeks, red wine flavoured with sage, onion granules, garlic
Drinks: black decaff coffee and still spring water (I'm giving up the recently reintroduced ordinary coffee with caffeine because it's affecting my sleep again - you'd think, after all these years I'd have learned my lesson).

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Posting early today as I’m off to the hospital for a steroid injection for my trigger thumb which is also affected by flexor tensynovitis. Will have to rest the hand for 24 hours so won’t be back on line for that period.

Have just had some M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos as feeling very hungry. Late lunch/early dinner is in the slow cooker to minimise effort later - oxtail bubbling away nicely.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi all. Posting early today as I’m off to the hospital for a steroid injection for my trigger thumb which is also affected by flexor tensynovitis. Will have to rest the hand for 24 hours so won’t be back on line for that period.

Have just had some M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos as feeling very hungry. Late lunch/early dinner is in the slow cooker to minimise effort later - oxtail bubbling away nicely.

Good luck at the hospital and I hope it all goes well x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck at hospital @Goonergal
The Notre Dame is... terrible. Was watching the footage yesterday and am just so terribly thankful I have visited it, even though it was over 30 years ago. I can remember being shocked at how dark it was compared with our UK light and airy Gothic, but later found out that was because of the development of the style as they pushed the boundaries in engineering, as Gothic spread across Europe. Yeah, I did some Medieval History at university. lol.
Broke my heart to see that glorious building coming down.

Please don't let them rebuild like they did at Coventry. That would be worse than not rebuilding at all.

Today will be those lamb burglars this evening, with kefir for breakfast (bought, boo hiss!) and probably home made pate on Dr A for lunch.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Nothing like a home-made stir-fry for dinner!
Wok is woken up, grass-fed beef dripping added (only the best for the wok) and heated, powdered sage, coriander and Chinese 5 spice added. and soy sauce.
Chicken breast, thinly sliced, cooked and then put on plate whilst veggies done - broccoli, small amount thin sliced carrot,
Chinese cabbage, cauliflower, mushrooms and bamboo slices, etc.
Meat added back in near the end.
Chopsticks to eat with , of course. Tea with some coconut milk added. Pity the chopsticks cannot be used as straws !!
Yum !!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
That chocolate gelato is quite good. Well, very good. My little girl preferred it to the raspberry ripple version. We noticed btw, that in Italy they referred to her as a piccoletta.

On snoring, I was rather hoping that reversing diabetic symptoms might also reverse my tendency to snore. :D

I will proudly stand out on the tippy-tip of the limb and declare the chocolate To Die For! I am a hard-core chocoholic, and triple chocolate gelato helped put me where I am today, so portion size may be a small issue, but I'm thinking once in a while maybe some of this.
Yes, feminine gender small. I play in a flute ensemble we call Altissimo, which means VERY high. Musicians will play with the "issimo" suffix by saying, fortississimo meaning wall o' sound blasting audience socks and eyeglasses out to the lobby....anyway the gelato is more-ish-ississimo!
DH not diabetic of any kind. Doesn't even run in his family. That boy stressed out the wazoo ....

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Chook I often find that if I avoid caffeine for 6-18 months, I can have it again for a few months at a time. My ill effect is cardiac arythmias, because I can fix the sleep thing by, no chocolate after about noon. Hummus! I forgot about that. I love the stuff, especially garlic.
@Goonergal that's a mouthful! Sorry you have to deal with that; hope the injection HT exact precise S!
@Brunneria i have to say, if Washington National Cathedral burned, I'd be up there in a flash, busking on the Mall for restoration funds. It doesn't have near the kind of history to it though. What it does have is a Darth Vader gargoyle! Might be a couple of hobbits in the mix too.
Have to find an acceptable fiblet for taking Mom to lunch after a noon church service today. "I ate breakfast really late" might or might not work. Other errand off to butcher nearish me, looking for lamb for Mr ZF. His mother used to make lamb chops which he loved best of all, although the girls will wax rhapsodic about the leg of lamb. I have to keep it small until I have a larger-than-3-cubic-ft freezer!!!!!! Same errand hit dressmaker, offer a couple of test garments to take 2-3 sizes off. When a 5'8" 133 lb woman finds that some brands of trousers size Small fall off the hips, you know there's trouble in size-land! Haven't been a small since I was six months old....

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook I often find that if I avoid caffeine for 6-18 months, I can have it again for a few months at a time. My ill effect is cardiac arythmias, because I can fix the sleep thing by, no chocolate after about noon. Hummus! I forgot about that. I love the stuff, especially garlic.
@Goonergal that's a mouthful! Sorry you have to deal with that; hope the injection HT exact precise S!
@Brunneria i have to say, if Washington National Cathedral burned, I'd be up there in a flash, busking on the Mall for restoration funds. It doesn't have near the kind of history to it though. What it does have is a Darth Vader gargoyle! Might be a couple of hobbits in the mix too.
Have to find an acceptable fiblet for taking Mom to lunch after a noon church service today. "I ate breakfast really late" might or might not work. Other errand off to butcher nearish me, looking for lamb for Mr ZF. His mother used to make lamb chops which he loved best of all, although the girls will wax rhapsodic about the leg of lamb. I have to keep it small until I have a larger-than-3-cubic-ft freezer!!!!!! Same errand hit dressmaker, offer a couple of test garments to take 2-3 sizes off. When a 5'8" 133 lb woman finds that some brands of trousers size Small fall off the hips, you know there's trouble in size-land! Haven't been a small since I was six months old....
Hmm - trouble in size-land. Recently bought some new jeans from a rock bottom price emporium. Thought fit will be on small size so better go 34" waist. Tried on, put tightest belt on just in case. Walked into living room from bedroom - trousers by then around ankles! 2 new holes in belt needed.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wow @ianpspurs you will wa(i)ste away at this rate! (That works better if said aloud, then wait for groans). For jeans, I'll have to find a new brand altogether. Beloved old brand cutting differently :(
A few months ago somebody mentioned not losing weight currently but finding shape changing. I certainly have recently had that. There are parts of my shape now that are a textbook example of what happens to the older epidermis when excess weight departs its environs. No more bikinis on the beach. I guess they wouldn't have my full-sun-protective swimwear on those French bikini beaches, would they. (just so nobody gets the wrong idea, I haven't worn a two piece bathing suit since my late 20's. Got caught without the bottom half while body surfing......I may weigh the same now but it sure don't look the same )

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, haven’t been able to post for a couple of days as Ive had my granddaughters here and the time has been spent building magical unicorn caves out of chairs and cushions, and bug hunts ( well I wasn’t looking that hard actually!) and that sort of thing. Can’t be looking at my phone when They’re here.
Haven’t caught up on most of the posts but @Goonergal I do hope that injection wasn’t roo painful, and more important, that it works.
@maglil55 sounds like you are having a bit of a rough time of it too. I hope things get better soon.
Can’t really remember food of last few days - it’s all been low carb though. Today I’ve had
B: 2 boiled eggs with a buttered, marmited flaxseed bun. CWC
L: a leftover tuna muffin with salad of rocket, olives, feta and walnut oil.
D: will be a sort of coq au vin inspired thing which is keeping warm in the IP now. I must have been thinking about France and the Notre Dame When throwing it together I think.

Edit for typi

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A day for the kitchen scales (and new batteries in the meter) 128 gms Dr Almond seedy bread, 90gms Brie and 14 gms butter for lunch. 200 gms ribeye steak, 8 cherry tomatoes and 140 gms mushrooms for first part of evening meal. 100 gms W1 Greek yogurt and 8 raspberries for 2nd part of evening meal. All of which suited me taste wise very well. Plenty of tea and 1 mug cocoa plus some water to drink. Still very hungry but let's see where an allegedly sub 15 gms carbs takes me then work from there. @Goonergal hope the injection wasn't too painful and works (Julie has had 2 in her spine, quite :arghh: painful)

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheap cut flowers are an abomination. But I really hate cut flowers anyway because when I first met Mr C he worked constant nights and good friend of his had persuaded him that it would be a good idea to earn extra money by working for an Undertaker during the day when he should have been asleep (they got paid by the job). One of the 'perks' was to occasionally bring home any cremation flowers as, obviously, there was no grave for them to be placed on. But I didn't know this. So there was me thinking 'Ah, isn't he sweet and thoughtful '. It was my daughter that worked out first where, exactly, the flowers were coming from and she thought it was funny but it gave me the mega creeps and I've never liked cut flowers since.
My Dad worked as an ambulance man first then for an undertaker for many years. I was aware of the flowers but when we got our first flat he got us this lovely engraved plate for our front door. Turned out it was a coffin plate which they engraved on the premises. Had been on our door for ages before we knew.
Bed 7.5 FBG 6.8. Still getting surges but it's coming down a little.
B. TAG with ADOC. 2 slices Dr Almond with melted smoked cheese.
L. 2 slices Asda's mortadella with paprika.
D. 2 pork loin steaks with a nando's rub and veggie chips.
I've made another cinnamon cake and may have a bit later when it cools.
Tomorrow we're taking the boys to Matilda at the theatre then for early dinner.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast : Scrambled egg made with double cream and a slice of toasted Hovis low carb bread.

Lunch : Greek yoghourt, double cream and raspberries.

Dinner : Mince beef and vedge - peas, cauliflower carrot but only a couple of slices of carrot in my portion. Raspberry no-ripple ice cream.

Tea

Snacks. Camembert and walnuts.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Good luck with the thumb. :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Dad worked as an ambulance man first then for an undertaker for many years. I was aware of the flowers but when we got our first flat he got us this lovely engraved plate for our front door. Turned out it was a coffin plate which they engraved on the premises. Had been on our door for ages before we knew.
Bed 7.5 FBG 6.8. Still getting surges but it's coming down a little.
B. TAG with ADOC. 2 slices Dr Almond with melted smoked cheese.
L. 2 slices Asda's mortadella with paprika.
D. 2 pork loin steaks with a nando's rub and veggie chips.
I've made another cinnamon cake and may have a bit later when it cools.
Tomorrow we're taking the boys to Matilda at the theatre then for early dinner.
I used to be a grave diggers assistant but it turned out to be a bit of a dead end job. It’s true though, I did it as a student one summer. :)

Reactions: zauberflote

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
CBDF8095-F4FD-4BD3-9F6A-702CF3F586F0.jpeg
Missed this thread a couple of days, busy few days with both kids (young adults) home.
Anyway today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch skipped, unusually for me but my daughter, still home needed my taxiing skills. So visited Nero’s while out for a coconut cappuccino and raspberry phd bar I had in my bag for such occasions.
Mid afternoon: 4 x coconut bites and black coffee.
Dinner: gammon steak, fried egg and roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.