What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the meantime I had visions of the waterboard digging up the drains of some unsuspecting person because I had given permission for them to start the job if I was out at that point of time...
Inexcusable sloppiness & disregard...luckily it didn't have to get as far as throwing a brick though their offices with a message wrapped round it...I sincerely hope it's all good now gennepher.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning.

9.4 this morning.

Glass half full, so I shall say I managed to sleep half the night. That is improvement on last 3 nights.

In the middle 3 hours of awakeness in the night I read positive stuff and about relaxing and meditation...

Yesterday morning was with the waterboard and the impending drain repairs which they are liable for as it is a shared drain with my neighbour...I have the shared bit of his s*** blocking my drains.

The morning was a nightmare, a comedy of errors. As I am profoundly deaf, and live on my own, the waterboard cannot just telephone me or expect me to telephone them. They have ignored all my preferred methods of communications - text, email, snail mail, but consistently put notes through the door saying telephone this number i.e. a voice call. I can't hear on the telephone.

This works for this have been pending since February. But I keep getting notes in my letterbox saying we cannot do the works as we cannot access both manhole covers. This is despite both manhole covers being visible from the main road and me giving prior permission in February do the works even though I might not be in that day.

Yesterday morning I finally went on Twitter to them. Things moved quickly. Or appeared to. I DM'd a photo of the job card which had all details and job number on it. Back and forth and back and forth. And I was promised it would be dealt with. I have to have my doorbell with me to see it flashing, and it had sat with me as I was DM'ing the waterboard. I went to make a cuppa, carrying my doorbell, and then in through the letterbox came a job card from the waterboard saying they were unable to contact me or gain access to the works needing doing so for me to telephone (voice call) this number.

What part of deafness do they not understand?

Then I realised the waterboard men had put the card through the door themselves, their van was outside. So outside I went and knocked on the window. Oh yes we just put that card through, they said. But you never rang the doorbell I said, I am holding to doorbell. Oh we didn't they said, you wouldn't hear it...

It got from bad to worse.

These two insisted they only had to do the first manhole cover and replace the drains under that. But the second one a bit further up the driveway was my responsibility. I said no, and that I had been told initially in February that the problems were were my neighbour's drains joined mine and that was the second manhole cover.

No no they said, you have that wrong. That second one is your responsibility, they said.

Come with me I commanded of the two big burly men in my best authoritative voice. I may be profoundly deaf but I can speak.

Reluctantly they followed. I had to 'make' them take the manhole cover off to prove it was a shared drain. They were so reluctant to do this. Ah yes, they said, it is a shared drain. Yes, that is completely our responsibility.

One had a camera, he said he didn't need to take photos, but I insisted even though photos were taken a couple of months ago.

Finally they go. Then I get a text off the waterboard saying that my the job number doesn't fit with my job. The men had the correct job number, it's been the same job number since February...and it's on the card they put through my door. So I photo the card and text the whole card to them...

In the meantime I had visions of the waterboard digging up the drains of some unsuspecting person because I had given permission for them to start the job if I was out at that point of time...

Have a good Tuesday...and I hope your driveways are intact when you return...

>^..^<

What a comedy of errors.

How you held your temper and didn't begin screaming at them or worse...< Respect>

Hope it resolves soon..

Reactions: HarryBeau

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. A bit late posting today, got Easter shopping out of the way today, happy that I don't have to brave the grocery stores later this week.

Fasting blood sugars were 4.6 today.

@dogslife -- Glad the scan went well. Keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome.
@Chronicle_Cat and @dogslife -- My full and utmost respect for what you do to help and support your loved ones.
@gennepher -- Sounds a bit like a nightmare -- would actually be funny if it wasn't so sad.
@Traceymac23 and @Caeseji -- Great fasting blood sugars. I'm impressed.

@ianpspurs, @SaskiaKC, @Bubbsie, @PenguinMum -- On the earlier discussion concerning GPs. I believe having read somewhere that being able to memorize really well is helpful when studying to become a GP. Later when in practice many seem to follow guidelines and decision diagrams to arrive at a treatment plan. A research scientist's job (ideally) is to question the status quo, to develop new theories explaining various phenomena (such as diabetes), to discover underlying rules and relationships which govern these things -- thinking of people like Ben Bikman in this regard (but also Dave Feldman and Ivor Cummins in this regard). So, I'm not really sure I would necessarily liken a medical doctor to a research scientist -- though this doesn't necessarily mean you can't be both.

On a positive note, I have feeling things are changing slowly. Many of the newbies joining the forum seem to have been advised to go low-carb by their GPs. Definitely a very hopeful sign.

Have a great day, everyone.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone - still in the past, for today at least.
Checking out this morning - bags tagged and put into storage for a while.
We are off the the zoo and a walk back to the hotel through Georgetown today. I have a stick with a horses head handle, the finest that Woolworths could sell - should I chance calling myself Albert? (Link below for the bewildered).

Anyhow, a 5.8 on the magical wheel of mystery and imagination.
Have a great day if you can, try impersonating Stanley Holloway if you can’t.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 this morning.

I'm off the doctor for my checkup and latest hba1c.

I empathise and sympathise with you @Chronical_Cat. Mum still lives alone in the apartment she and dad moved into 63 years ago and doesn't want to move but is very lonely and very anxious. I see her at least once a day and still do her shopping, laundry, cleaning, sort out her medical appointments etc but since her diagnosis last year we have carers going in 4 x a day for 30mins to make sure she has her food, medication etc. Unfortunately her memory is so brief she doesn't remember anyone has been so still thinks she has been alone all day. I've taken care of mum since dad and mum's best friend passed away 8 years ago. She hasn't been anywhere alone since then and relies on me ( or others) to tell her what to do. Every day brings new challenges as I'm sure you know. Sometimes it feels that no matter how hard I try I can't make things better except in the moment. Take care of yourself. Best wishes.:)

Hugs to you as well. It's hard being a caregiver. Please take care of yourself.

I know I could not do it full time anymore, I came very to close to burning out completely with my late son (severely disabled) before he lived in a group home. I provided respite for my Dad for a while when my mom was on the waiting list for a home.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.5 this morning.

I know I could not do it full time anymore, I came very to close to burning out completely with my late son (severe;y disabled) before he lived in a group home. I provided respite for my Dad for a while when my mom was on the waiting list for a home.
Good luck CC

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
5.5 this morning.

I know I could not do it full time anymore, I came very to close to burning out completely with my late son (severely disabled) before he lived in a group home. I provided respite for my Dad for a while when my mom was on the waiting list for a home.
wow.....look at you in the new picture....well done

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.2 this morning. Which just goes to show that changing diet for the better and getting more sleep only raises FBG.

Except for the times when it doesn't ...
biggrin.gif

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Inexcusable sloppiness & disregard...luckily it didn't have to get as far as throwing a brick though their offices with a message wrapped round it...I sincerely hope it's all good now gennepher.
Not yet. I have to wait for another crew to come along who will actually do the work...so when will that be...

It is ridiculous so far...

Thanks
>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all. A bit late posting today, got Easter shopping out of the way today, happy that I don't have to brave the grocery stores later this week.

@dogslife -- Glad the scan went well. Keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome.
@Chronicle_Cat and @dogslife -- My full and utmost respect for what you do to help and support your loved ones.
@gennepher -- Sounds a bit like a nightmare -- would actually be funny if it wasn't so sad.

@ianpspurs, @SaskiaKC, @Bubbsie, @PenguinMum -- On the earlier discussion concerning GPs. I believe having read somewhere that being able to memorize really well is helpful when studying to become a GP. Later when in practice many seem to follow guidelines and decision diagrams to arrive at a treatment plan. A research scientist's job (ideally) is to question the status quo, to develop new theories explaining various phenomena (such as diabetes), to discover underlying rules and relationships which govern these things -- thinking of people like Ben Bikman in this regard (but also Dave Feldman and Ivor Cummins in this regard). So, I'm not really sure I would necessarily liken a medical doctor to a research scientist -- though this doesn't necessarily mean you can't be both.

On a positive note, I have feeling things are changing slowly. Many of the newbies joining the forum seem to have been advised to go low-carb by their GPs. Definitely a very hopeful sign.

Hi
Could make a Brian Rix farce out of the waterboard issues...

Sounds very good to get Easter Shopping out of the way...well done!
>^..^<

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

4.8 today

lots of haar today, I was hoping it would burn off as it did yesterday but it shows no signs, never mind, we've been out for lunch and a bit of a walk, then tomorrow we hope to do a bit of grass cutting at mum's if the weather stays dry ;)

Hope your day treats you well :)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
5.5 this morning.

Well done both for your fbs level and for the caring you have done.:)

Reactions: OrsonKartt

charlie000

I've started my second fast today at 1.30pm. Will be fasting until tomorrow lunch time around 13.30pm - 14:30. Strictly water/tea/ and maybe a can of diet coke to get me through.

Will do the same fast until Monday 22nd April 2019.

I know it isn't a proper fast, but I believe its still a fast as no food or carbs...

Maybe a few nuts if I am peckish?

Will post my results on Monday when I wake up now.

Doing it to improve my BG, reversal, and weight loss. I have never been so motivated.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.

Thank you ziggy_w

Thank you ziggy_w.:)

Reactions: OrsonKartt

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I have an under-functioning thyroid, and have cysts. So I go once a year and sit, hardly breathing, while they measure the cysts to see if they have grown in size, and wait to be told whether they will have to operate (cut my throat - the idea terrifies me) or whether I’m ok for another year. I’ve been reading that having a wonky thyroid can also affect blood sugar levels. I’m soon due for another check up so more nights without sleep coming up.

Oh you have my sympathies, that is terrifying. I have the same experience every 6 months when my post cancer scan is due, I completely understand those sleepless nights.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back from doctor. She's very pleased. Hba1c was 5.1 and all my levels are excellent. (She told me that she wished her cholestrol was as good as mine.) She's also pleased about the weight loss and loss of inches around my waist (12 1/2" so far.)

low carb progress 2019  long template April 2019.jpg

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back from doctor. She's very pleased. Hba1c was 5.1 and all my levels are excellent. (She told me that she wished her cholestrol was as good as mine.) She's also pleased about the weight loss and loss of inches around my waist (12 1/2" so far.) View attachment 32364
wow so wonderful you look now ... amazing result <3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Back from doctor. She's very pleased. Hba1c was 5.1 and all my levels are excellent. (She told me that she wished her cholestrol was as good as mine.) She's also pleased about the weight loss and loss of inches around my waist (12 1/2" so far.)

View attachment 32366
Amazing progress. Huge congratulations.