What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We braved the cold and rain and did a 5 mile cliff path walk after breakfast. It just had to be done and we were wrapped up in our battered old Barbour jackets probably the most useful item for the rain and wind. Just had a warm bowl of veg soup and now settling down with our books. More fish on the menu tonight. Life is great.

It sounds wonderful. What books are you reading? DuMaurier? Mary Stewart? :D

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

was 4.4 this morning

it's been a day of on again off again rain showers today but we've been out for lunch anyway, we also managed a bit of a walk but currently the wind is pretty cold for the middle of June :sorry:

I've got lots of sewing to do this evening because I'm going to be altering a pair of lined curtains so I'd better get to it ;)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 today - very happy

Have to be somewhere at 9 am so dashing.

Its diabetes week so I will just share my social media post from yesterday as I can do that quickly:

Its Diabetes Awareness Week. Prepare yourself my Facebook friends!

Just been for my annual diabetic retinal eye screening so things a bit blurry, apologies in advance for typos!

So what have the last 18 months taught me? Here's just a few things. There are far too many to mention in one post.

Dont take your good health for granted, your health is your wealth.

Listen to your body

Look forward and not back, you cant change the past

Diabetes, although serious can thankfully be manageable

Type 1 and type 2 are entirely different and need to be named differently

Illnesses aren't always apparent from the outside

The advice the NHS give to type 2 diabetics is rubbish

Health providers more often just treat the symptoms and tell diabetics it's a progressive illness and don't inform on how to stop the progression

The NHS could save billions if they changed their advice and gave out blood glucose testing kits and strips

More diabetes education is required. For NHS staff/health care professionals and patients alike.

What a carbohydrate is! And how much sugar is hidden within. A lot!

Fruit isn't as good for you as you might think. There are good and bad choices when diabetic. A little grape i now class as a sugar BOMB. Natural sugars in fruit can still wreak havoc with blood sugars. Berries are best.

Sugar is addictive and buried within most of our food under over 50 different names....for a reason!

Big pharma companies and food industries are behind lots of research into what we should class as healthy.

Healthy symbols on packaging can often be misleading

Low carb way of eating works for me, it keeps me full for longer, but it's not for everyone

Fat is my friend not my enemy

Low fat often means high sugar

Cholestrol is misunderstood

I can still eat chocolate

Being overweight is not good for your health it can lead to health issues including type 2 diabetes

You CAN change your life and better your health with a little determination and commitment and lots of support from friends and family

I can lose weight! And keep it off!!!

Dont believe all you read, research things for yourself

I'm in remission I'm not cured

My diagnosis was a blessing in disguise, I've never felt healthier or as good about myself.

I love inspirational quotes! They help @karen8967 thank you - last line added this morning. ;-)

Happy Tuesday to all.

Fabulous

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have I missed those 2 images in the past? Those combined with the sad story of your mum's travails with diabetes have given me a much better understanding of your position on LC. Amazing transformation but I would imagine you were just as warmhearted and on the side of the angels before.
Thank you, what a lovely reply @ianpspurs but I would expect nothing less from you as you are so lovely. I'm a people person. Love helping, if and when I can. Yes my mum most certainly is my guiding light. My dad has a lot to do with me appreciating life too as he passed away very suddenly at 54 (I was 21 and my sister only 11) whilst on the list for a heart op. He got his appointment through in the post....way too late sadly.

I'm loving LC and it really suits me. Bs wise but also weight loss. 4 stone loss! Still have to pinch myself. I've done diets in the past and yo yo'd but this works for me. I haven't posted these pics before. The slim one is my latest. The trevi fountain one was May 2017, just 6 months before dx. The thing is I didn't feel big. I'm very tall you see and thought I carried my 14 stone 7lb quite well. This photo tells me I should have gone to specsavers. ;-)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190210-094003_Pinterest.jpg
    Screenshot_20190210-094003_Pinterest.jpg
    832.2 KB · Views: 105

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds wonderful. What books are you reading? DuMaurier? Mary Stewart? :D
I should be reading Jamaica Inn shouldnt I? Instead I settled down to Trisha Ashley’s Creature Comforts and ended up also flicking through the Cornwall Living magazine in the room. There is a great set of books about a Cornish artist and her success in helping her on/off friend the local DC solving crimes but I have read them all. The author is Janie Bolitho who is no longer with us. Hope you and the KC are good. Poor B and D at the cattery probably havent come out from under the rug.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@HarrisonK great fbg and be careful on those roads with Miss Daisy.

@HarrisonK I like the idea of staying at home in the warm can I have a note to say I can't come out today!
Take care

No logs for the fire at the moment Harrison...had the heating on yesterday...it's freezing here...may have a quick trip to our local supplier...I like the sound of staying home with the log fire going...take it easy on that motorway.

Well, just got back, the motorway was awful but we just took it steady. It's my friends car but I am on the insurance as she hates driving, especially long distances. At least that's done for a month or so :)

Scarier was my bloods. I made sure I was high enough to drive back (I was 5.8 on the way up) by eating some carbs. Set off on 8.2 but just took mybloods and I'm 3.1 :wideyed: It dropped that fast in 1.45 hours. I think I need to stop and check at the services in future.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez just wow re the photos. You should be rightly proud of yourself and what you have achieved. You really are our poster girl and you are so giving to help others. Round of applause doesnt quite cut it! Fabulous girl!
Poster girl! I wish Haha. People like you @PenguinMum are the real stars. Helping so many every day. Replying to individuals, lifting people who are down, encouraging those who need it, advising where you can and all that whilst fighting your own battles. I take my hat off to you. The PR team just keep wheeling me out! I love it if it helps our cause. We will get there but I always say it's a team effort on this forum. I've had my hands full for a few months. Special needs BIL needing lots of support. Getting there but a way to go. Tomorrow I'm in my surgery. Got my own room. Diabetes week. I will report back as always. Just going to prep my handouts. Have a good night xxx

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, just got back, the motorway was awful but we just took it steady. It's my friends car but I am on the insurance as she hates driving, especially long distances. At least that's done for a month or so :)

Scarier was my bloods. I made sure I was high enough to drive back (I was 5.8 on the way up) by eating some carbs. Set off on 8.2 but just took mybloods and I'm 3.1 :wideyed: It dropped that fast in 1.45 hours. I think I need to stop and check at the services in future.

You are a good friend, @HarrisonK . I am hoping to find someone to drive me to the little town I'm thinking about moving to. It will be a long day trip -- two hours there and two back and I'd like to spend a couple there looking around. And interstate, = motorway, only about halfway.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I should be reading Jamaica Inn shouldnt I? Instead I settled down to Trisha Ashley’s Creature Comforts and ended up also flicking through the Cornwall Living magazine in the room. There is a great set of books about a Cornish artist and her success in helping her on/off friend the local DC solving crimes but I have read them all. The author is Janie Bolitho who is no longer with us. Hope you and the KC are good. Poor B and D at the cattery probably havent come out from under the rug.

I have not heard of Janie Bolitho before. I will have to see if I can find her books.

Can the people at the cattery text you a pic of your girls so you can see what they're up to? I'm glad they have each other under that rug. ^. .^. .^

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 9.9 at 5:30 am
Not bad since I have a Cochlear Hospital appointment at 8am.
Nearly an hours drive in this torrential rain, and then on the Expressway. Would have liked to do the less busy roads, but no time to do this with this early appointment. I just hope the speeding long wagons are not there trying to make the Holyhead ferry in Anglesey. I hate them. It is so dangerous. The police used to crack down on them (I haven’t seen that recently), but quite a few have no number plates so they can’t be caught by speed cameras. They scare me.

It’s 6 am now, had my coffee. Am woken up. So dress and breakfast.

Take care in this rain x

>^..^<