What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woken up with a banging headache and 6.7 this morning. The highest it’s been for ages, but it’s been gradually climbing for a few days. Didn’t come out of the 6s all day yesterday.
@ianpspurs have I missed your birthday? Hope your mouth still feels ok after yesterday’s dental work.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fbg 10.6 this rainy dull dreary morning...

The delights to look forward to today - trying to chase up my money which is supposed to have been paid back in my bank account by the dual fuel company which I have now left...

Life feels so intrusive now, and with a feeling of powerlessness (especially with this new Cochlear speech processor with the crashing app on my phone which is meant to control it but the audiologist says it is very new technology and still being developed), or is it me getting older and more cantankerous?

Watch out...cantankerous old lady on the prowl today...

>^..^<

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Woken up with a banging headache and 6.7 this morning. The highest it’s been for ages, but it’s been gradually climbing for a few days. Didn’t come out of the 6s all day yesterday.
@ianpspurs have I missed your birthday? Hope your mouth still feels ok after yesterday’s dental work.
Sorry to hear about the headache and undoubtedly linked high fbg. My mouth feels fine thanks although I haven't tried to eat anything yet - last ate about 18.00 Wednesday. My birthday is on the day next week when thunder is forecast for PE28 - allegedly 20% chance so obs will be nailed on. Hope the headache clears pronto.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am looking at duvets online. Apparently what I want is actually called a duvet insert, and they are always white. Years ago I had a duvet cover that I used with my comforter. The cover fastened with a row of buttons; I've seen some online today that are said to fasten with ties. I can't see the ties in the pics so don't know how that works. The cover I had was too heavy, so this time I am going to look at the weight of the covers. Either that, or I will just take two flat sheets and make my own cover. Since it is all but impossible nowadays to buy two flat sheets, I will have to buy two sheet "sets". Why is "convenience" often so inconvenient? :)

That is modern life, the concept that they (the manufacturer’s) think that we (the general public) need.

I go to the fabric mills (it is just up the road for me) and buy sheeting fabric off the roll or as offcuts, in order to get my flat sheets.

Actually my head just came up with an idea. You know the corners of the fitted sheet in the set, well undo them, get a square of fabric that matches your curtains or something, sew that in each corner, and you will have an individual designer duvet cover...saves money on buying two sets of sheets to make your duvet cover from the flat sheets in each pack...

Nah, too much work...cantankerous old lady is still on the prowl here...

>^..^<

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just in from an interesting chat with practice nurse.
Her: the Dapagliflozin has worked too well we are worried your BG is too low so we are going to halve the dose.
Me: I doubt it is the meds I would think it is the change to a Low carb diet
Her: What do you eat?
I explained what I had been eating and how much I had lost and all the other health benefits I had found and she asked if I had made it up myself!! I pointed her here and to DD website. She was amazed at the drop in BG in 3 months 78 to 38
I have got to take half strength Dapa for 3 months and then have another HbA1c. I didn't have the heart to tell her I stopped taking them about a month ago! Hopefully it will not rise too much over the next 3 months without the meds.

Nicely done. Difficult for people to see through the fog of what they have decided be so for such a long time and see that it may not be correct.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Results from HbA1c today were 61 and I was told that was good, especially as it was 89 just 6 months ago. I don’t really know what that means. From reading here, it seems it could be lower, but I was told today that was a good number...

>^..^<

Great result in such a short period of time, well done you. Whatever you are doing is working.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great result in such a short period of time, well done you. Whatever you are doing is working.

Thanks very much.

For me, I think it is basically low carb, generally leaving a gap between meals (not snacking, but sometimes chocolate!), and trying to eat within a four to six hour window in the day. And there are lots of little bits of tweaking within that. It will probably always be a project in progress so to speak.

And I think it is important to take at least one reading a day, fbg for me (sometimes more if I am working something out), because it focuses me to keep on track (or get back on track if I have strayed a little).

Thanks again!

>^..^<

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.8 after steak last night. Last day in Cornwall today, driving across Dartmoor and spending last night in Chagford.
@DJC3 sending hugs for the headache and higher BG. Hope you’re not coming down with anything or you might be overtired. Can you have a quiet day?@SaskiaKC I agree its silly not to be able to buy a single sheet. We tend to call the inner bit the duvet and then you buy a duvet cover set which is the cover and usually pillowcase(s). I had tie on ones years ago and they worked ok.@gennepher you have a lot of challenges right now so you are allowed to be grumpy. Hope the utility credit gets sorted pronto.
Have a great Friday everyone. Stay well, get better, stay safe.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs after I read your comment last night I began to think about why are my fasting BS really low at the moment with no dawn phenomenon. They were 4.8 last night and 5 this morning.

Looked at my records which showed 3 things I changed at the same time:-
(1) Instead of aiming for 20g carbs and sometimes hitting 25g - I have absolutely kept to 18g
(2) Have lowered stress levels significantly with meditation
(3) Added 3000mg of vitamin C.

I was going to add that the first two would have helped - especially the meditation because I feel so relaxed now and cortisol levels must have dropped significantly which would have a big impact on blood sugars.. Although maybe the small drop in carbs wouldn't have done that much to fbs - but who know - it could be really important for me to stay under 20g carbs..

I was then going to add that the vitamin C would have had absolutely no impact on BS but thought I had better check that my assumption was 100% correct and came across an article on this website about some research on Vitamin C lowering post meal spikes by sugar by 36%.

I copied an extract from the article:-
'The findings indicate that vitamin C provides significant health benefit, but as the researchers say, the significance is that vitamin C is used as an "effective additional therapy", such as a healthy diet.

For many people, eating a real-food diet such as that recommended on our award-winning Low Carb Program can help people lose weight, reduce their blood glucose levels and even put type 2 diabetes into remission.'

So - very interesting reading and I completely agree that the mainstay of my fight against diabetes is keto/low carb but that there is still room to add additional therapies so I will be continuing with meditation and vitamin C.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.6 for me today

the sun is out finally, but as with last Friday, it's just in time for my stint in the charity shop. Oh well never mind I'll happily take it and hope the weather improvement lasts ;)

Yesterday I amused mr gee by buying another big woolly cardi in the middle of June but at least I did a couple of shed laps and lots of moving about too so I felt I was well entitled to my dinner last night :hilarious:

Hope your day treats you kindly :)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. I can report that the dark and dangerous north has a surplus of water. So, if anyone who works for a water company want’s to buy some, please let us know before your hosepipe ban planning meeting is scheduled to take place.

The wonder wheel of indulgence and punishment that is jabbed this time into my right arm registered a 5.0 at 0600. I can report that, according to the graph displayed on my phone by the collected data, that I have about a five minute window between awakening and getting a reading before the liver kicks in. For instance, at 0615 it was 5.5 and at 0630 was 6.2. Should blood testing kits be kept at the bedside or perhaps in the bathroom? Having said that, please don’t charge to the bathroom while not fully awake, especially if it’s dark.

@Saskia - is it that your duvet and cover is too heavy? Not sure. Our duvet currently in use is 4.5 Tog, natural filling which is not much thicker than a couple of sheets - is that an insert? When it gets a bit warmer we (Mrs Miggins) packs away the duvet and we just use a throw with a sheet underneath.

@Bubbsie - are you rushed in the mornings to make good koffy? I have a marvellous travel french press by a company called Ohuhu (others available) and take my koffy with me if in a rush. I even take it on holiday with me as I detest instant koffy and that nasty stuff that sits in a glass flask in cafes going all bitter 10 minutes after it has been made.

Have a wonderful Friday and Bon Weekend if you are not working (even if you are) - please be careful not say anything risqué today, a politician or worse, a journalist, may be listening and make a fence (why do they always resort to woodwork). Then you will be stood in your virtual town square and pounded with social media PC rocks. Koffy time.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs after I read your comment last night I began to think about why are my fasting BS really low at the moment with no dawn phenomenon. They were 4.8 last night and 5 this morning.

Looked at my records which showed 3 things I changed at the same time:-
(1) Instead of aiming for 20g carbs and sometimes hitting 25g - I have absolutely kept to 18g
(2) Have lowered stress levels significantly with meditation
(3) Added 3000mg of vitamin C.

I was going to add that the first two would have helped - especially the meditation because I feel so relaxed now and cortisol levels must have dropped significantly which would have a big impact on blood sugars.. Although maybe the small drop in carbs wouldn't have done that much to fbs - but who know - it could be really important for me to stay under 20g carbs..

I was then going to add that the vitamin C would have had absolutely no impact on BS but thought I had better check that my assumption was 100% correct and came across an article on this website about some research on Vitamin C lowering post meal spikes by sugar by 36%.

I copied an extract from the article:-
'The findings indicate that vitamin C provides significant health benefit, but as the researchers say, the significance is that vitamin C is used as an "effective additional therapy", such as a healthy diet.

For many people, eating a real-food diet such as that recommended on our award-winning Low Carb Program can help people lose weight, reduce their blood glucose levels and even put type 2 diabetes into remission.'

So - very interesting reading and I completely agree that the mainstay of my fight against diabetes is keto/low carb but that there is still room to add additional therapies so I will be continuing with meditation and vitamin C.
Glad to have been of assistance @Krystyna23040 although for the life of me I can't think what I might have said to prompt you to examine your, obviously, exemplary records. Your readings are to be admired so your processes must be just right for you - great stuff young lady.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
are you rushed in the mornings to make good koffy?
I don't work regularly every day week or month dunelm...so have no set morning routine...yesterday was an aberration...I have a can of instant coffee for visitors only (those who have no objection to it)...I have so many types of coffee making machines from the complicated Kenwood one (that makes all the right noises)...numerous cafetieres...the stove top percolator...an electric percolator...filter... and in the brick outhouse still in possession of several full packing cases from our move here six years ago is my favourite... a filter machine you can pre-programme to have your coffee ready when you wake...perhaps the 'instant incident' will provide the incentive for us to unpack those boxes and release it.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A highish 5.7 for me this morning. Wet dog aroma prevailing here again. Has anyone seen the summer as it is definitely AWOL round here.
We started with rain this morning...it's stopped (for how long lord knows) & the sun is out...I might try & get 'plumpy' out for a walk before it starts again...the smell of wet dog is all pervading...if I can avoid it I will.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 your records make interesting reading, I’m wondering if my rather more slapdash approach needs tightening up. The difference between 20g and 18g carbs doesn’t seem significant to me but it’s obviously working really effectively for you combined with the meditation and vit C. Who knows which of those factors is most important but it’s working so that’s fantastic. I’m going to start keeping a tighter record I think.
@PenguinMum hope your last day of hols is good - it seems to have gone so quickly! We used to go to a pub called the Plume of Feathers on Dartmoor, in Princeton near the prison, they used to have a folk band playing Sunday lunchtimes and everyone sang along - great fun after a couple of lunchtime beers ( those were the days!)
@gennepher well done on reduction in your HbA1c that’s a great result in a few months. You’re right about the constant tweaking though, I don’t think I’ll ever have it properly sussed.