What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The meeting was long but the majority of the decision making is now done. There is of course all of the actual prep to do and the good to buy. Thank goodness for on line shopping and deliveries. Fortunately for all involved I am not doing the cooking!!

Wow, you just flew me back 30 years in time to a friend/boyfriend of the '80s doing the prep work for Cursillo. I don't know if y'all have it -- it's a retreat for adults, so I imagine even more detailed prep involved to make them happy campers than it is for kids! :)

@ianpspurs , wishing you an early Happy Birthday, young sir! :)

6.1 for me this morning ... and here comes the KittenCat again, wanting yet another breakfast ... ^. .^

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Afternoon folks:
Yesterday which was just for information Saturday, Mrs J and myself were taken by our eldest son up to the 5000th liver transplantation celebration held in Birmingham.

Just think about it 5000 single organ transplants, 10 000 kidney transplants, nominally 15 000 people able to resume their normal lives, working, partaking in family life.

15 000 people who owe everything to the kindness and bravery of the donor families.

It was a good day, we met some old friends. Attended some very informative talks on the science behind the drug therapies, the future of transplantation and the research behind the psychology impact of transplantation. The future looks exciting, but there will always be a shortage of donor organs.

So when you're walking your cat and petting your pooch, please think about signing up for the donor scheme and tell your families.
When we finally got home after failing to correctly negotiate spaghetti junction I was treated to an Indian meal of some description which gave rise to reading of 6.9 this morning.
Enjoy what's left of the day.
Roasted leg of something or other this evening, the meat is to dark for it to be feline.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So we started watching a film last night. I closed my eyes to listen for a short while. 2.30 woke up having not taken my evening meds nor my evening readings nor my abasaglar. And cold too !

And missed the film lol.
And my tea had gone cold .. this one hurt the most !

Long story short I am 6.6 this morning alongside a mixture of relief, crinkled neck and thirsty.
That's exactly what I did last night. I so wanted to watch the Alice Roberts documentary on Canterbury but thought it would be really nice to watch it lying down on the sofa - snuggled under a cosy throw. Big mistake - woke up and found I had missed the whole programme.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope you can find something useful in that.
I need to study it all again.
Thank you

>^..^<
Very useful information especially as it explains why my BS are lower since taking a high dose of v vitamin. Very interesting that one of the studies found that having diabetes depletes levels of vitamin C in the body.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, you just flew me back 30 years in time to a friend/boyfriend of the '80s doing the prep work for Cursillo. I don't know if y'all have it -- it's a retreat for adults, so I imagine even more detailed prep involved to make them happy campers than it is for kids! :)

@ianpspurs , wishing you an early Happy Birthday, young sir! :)

6.1 for me this morning ... and here comes the KittenCat again, wanting yet another breakfast ... ^. .^
Many thanks for the early happy birthday wish - guess since I am not yet state pension age in the UK makes me youngish old. @alf_Josiah very thought provoking post and sounds like a perfect and immensely thoughtful Father's Day. @Cumberland fantastic reading and enjoy Bournemouth - you may see a very wealthy dog walking Mr H Redknapp Esq
ETA: Cricket watching stopped so watching I love 1986 - never heard of the film Absolute Beginners.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very useful information especially as it explains why my BS are lower since taking a high dose of v vitamin. Very interesting that one of the studies found that having diabetes depletes levels of vitamin C in the body.

That's good, getting further understanding.
Which is what we all are searching for.
>^..^<

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to read that your dryer had given up the ghost. Always an issue when having to replace white goods. We have a condensing dryer but recently we have been considering getting a heated airier as at first glance they seem to be a cheaper to run and take up little space.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/around-t...drying-and-airers/electric-dryers-and-airers/
Thanks @dunelm for reminding me we have one of the Lakeland heated airers in the garage. We bought one for one of our boys at Uni and since its been back it just got buried with lots of other stuff. Trying it for the first time today.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How much protein to eat is something that vexes me. T2 or not sacropenia is a thing and being 64 next week I am obviously in the frail old wreck age group. There also seems to be quite a split amongst the gurus about this. I liked this from Zoe Harcombe - especially point 10 http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2018/02/protein-by-kevin-handreck/
Mind you, my levels and A1c suggest I don't do control so well but if Harcombe bigs up this guy I think I will pay heed.
If at 64 you are in the 'frail old wreck age group ' goodness knows what group I am in - maybe in the 'totally frail old age wreck group '.

Very interesting about the protein. I usually have approx 52g of protein a day (I weigh 57kg) which looks much too low according to the calculator). The problem I have is that I really couldn't eat any more protein and feel absolutely stuffed and full with 52g.

So do you think that maybe the guidelines don't apply to everyone. I am very active and teach exercise 6 days a week. My rest day on Sunday is spent doing loads of walking in the countryside. Once I got over the Statin damage I was able to build muscle successfully.

Edited to add: I wish I had as good A1c as you have

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The meeting was long but the majority of the decision making is now done. There is of course all of the actual prep to do and the good to buy. Thank goodness for on line shopping and deliveries. Fortunately for all involved I am not doing the cooking!!

The cooking must be a nightmare these days with so many allergies, intolerances and moral/ ethical food choices. When my girls went, everyone got stew in the evening but even by the time they stopped going my friend said it was easier to just have vegetarian food. Teenagers in particular are very particular.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If at 64 you are in the 'frail old wreck age group ' goodness knows what group I am in - maybe in the 'totally frail old age wreck group '.

Very interesting about the protein. I usually have approx 52g of protein a day (I weigh 57kg) which looks much too low according to the calculator). The problem I have is that I really couldn't eat any more protein and feel absolutely stuffed and full with 52g.

So do you think that maybe the guidelines don't apply to everyone. I am very active and teach exercise 6 days a week. My rest day on Sunday is spent doing loads of walking in the countryside. Once I got over the Statin damage I was able to build muscle successfully.

Edited to add: I wish I had as good A1c as you have
@Krystyna23040 I am in no position to comment on the guidelines for protein levels and certainly wouldn't dream of offering you advice. You seem to be doing fine as you are. This is all very personal and ideally we would consult HCPs. My app suggests I average about 85 gms protein which seems to explain why I feel hungry most of the time and tired regularly. I personally don't recognise ever feeling stuffed on lc and find the hf/percentage fat idea very unpleasant - just does not make me feel well but looks lovely on the scales. Sorry to hear about statin damage. Please don't change how you eat without consulting HCP/nutritionist. I know nothing. I would probably do a swap of my A1c for feeling stuffed and having your energy, or indeed any, more than 20 days a month. I really don't want much cream, butter, red meat in my diet - not worried about the fat I just don't like it really.

Last edited:
Reactions: gennepher

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 I am in no position to comment on the guidelines for protein levels and certainly wouldn't dream of offering you advice. You seem to be doing fine as you are. This is all very personal and ideally we would consult HCPs. My app suggests I average about 85 gms protein which seems to explain why I feel hungry most of the time and tired regularly. I personally don't recognise ever feeling stuffed on lc and find the hf/percentage fat idea very unpleasant - just does not make me feel well but looks lovely on the scales. Sorry to hear about statin damage. Please don't change how you eat without consulting HCP nutritionist. I know nothing. I would probably do a swap of my A1c for feeling stuffed and having your energy more than 20 days a month.
You are right that this is very personal and that there is absolutely no 'one size fits all'. Looked at my macros for today: Protein 51.49g, carbs 14.,27g and fat 116.28g calories around 1500K. Carbs a little bit lower than usual - but not much. Protein and fat are pretty average. I absolutely couldn't eat anymore than I have today - but will probably have another coffee and maybe some bone broth later. I have a feeling that you would be absolutely famished if this is what you had eaten..

I find this absolutely fascinating - it is amazing how different we all are. I do a lot of teaching of exercise to people who have injuries and I find exactly the same thing. There is absolutely no 'one size fits all'. This makes my job so interesting and I never tire of it (although I cannot say the same of all the admin involved in running a very small business).

Just to re-assure you - my HCP is very happy with what I am doing and she is really supporting me on this journey of discovery.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You are right that this is very personal and that there is absolutely no 'one size fits all'. Looked at my macros for today: Protein 51.49g, carbs 14.,27g and fat 116.28g calories around 1500K. Carbs a little bit lower than usual - but not much. Protein and fat are pretty average. I absolutely couldn't eat anymore than I have today - but will probably have another coffee and maybe some bone broth later. I have a feeling that you would be absolutely famished if this is what you had eaten..

I find this absolutely fascinating - it is amazing how different we all are. I do a lot of teaching of exercise to people who have injuries and I find exactly the same thing. There is absolutely no 'one size fits all'. This makes my job so interesting and I never tire of it (although I cannot say the same of all the admin involved in running a very small business).

Just to re-assure you - my HCP is very happy with what I am doing and she is really supporting me on this journey of discovery.
What a fantastic business. I am sure it is very rewarding despite the paperwork. Glad your HCP is involved and supportive.

Reactions: gennepher

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

was 4.6 this morning

I was woken pretty early by a short sharp shower pelting on the skylight so I got up and sat drinking tea ;)

Sunday dinner at mum's today then sat inside watching the birds in her garden through the window whilst we had a couple of showers, birds included a pair of woodpeckers, not something I've ever seen before :happy: then the weather cleared and the little dog and I went off for a walk :)

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cumberland hurrah! So glad you’re back in the zone. Have a great break in Bournemouth.
@PenguinMum I’ll be interested to see how good that Lakeland drier is. So many clothes are not tumble dryable now, and once daughter and partner move in with us in Aug we are going to struggle in our little cottage getting all the clothes dry. I thought one of these would be ideal - we could plug it in in the garage, there is plenty of room in there as it only contains Mr Cs motorbike.