What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did wonder about using chives, wish I’d seen your article, or looked it up myself earlier.
We use star anise, mace, bouquet garni, individual spices with no problems. Very sparing with garlic and Julie never liked chilli so not an issue here. We probably don't need to use those as often as you might since I can't feel the love for many of the dd/keto concoctions.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We use star anise, mace, bouquet garni, individual spices with no problems. Very sparing with garlic and Julie never liked chilli so not an issue here. We probably don't need to use those as often as you might since I can't feel the love for many of the dd/keto concoctions.

Thanks for the tips. You’re right in that I enjoy this woe so I don’t feel at all deprived normally. The shame of it is that she enjoyed it too. I fear we might end up in a boring middle ground that none of us enjoy.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fry up of egg, bacon, mushrooms and two cherry tomatoes followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola and a very thin slice of my daughter’s chocolate birthday cake :wideyed: with my coffee!
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake.

EBDEB504-3820-4B24-821B-B4EF4AC3C39F.jpeg

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tips. You’re right in that I enjoy this woe so I don’t feel at all deprived normally. The shame of it is that she enjoyed it too. I fear we might end up in a boring middle ground that none of us enjoy.
Best wishes for it. Have to say summer is brilliant for us and salads for me are much more to my taste.

Reactions: Chook and DJC3
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Cold meat and salad with half a jar of kimchi mixed in.
Dinner: Marinated brisket done in the slow cooker for about five hours, veggies.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water.

k6pyhNP.jpg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - I must have missed the intro to Dennis? Are there pics of Dennis? I'm assuming as a vet is implicated, Dennis may be canine.

In order to remain on-track-ish, I had Greek yog with rhubarb stewed with minced ginger (utterly delightful) and some home made kefir , ginagerous salad, with lots of mayo and chilli, then roast beef (salmon cut), with roasted carrots, mashed swede (with plenty sour cream and white pepper), and a solitary, but magnificent roastie.

I have some whole (always extremely creamy) raw milk becoming kefir at the moment. I'm looking forward to it. These days, I often "cut" my kefir with some coconut cream.

Viv19

Bed 6.3 FBG 6.6. Back to stability it seems. No DP and they've remained pretty stable all day. A day of peace for a change.
B. TAG with ADOC and a slice of that wonderful skinny bread toasted with lurpack. BGs didn't move.
L. Another TAG with ADOC and another slice of skinny bread but this time it became a sandwich with 2 slices of tomato, some of yesterday's chicken and mayo. That did nothing to the BGs either.
D. Rack of pork ribs with chimichurri rub and a salad of lettuce, rest of the tomato that was on my sandwich, few slices cucumber, 1/4 avocado and 1 beetroot. The required mayo.
Later more of the raspberry mousse and 5 raspberries.
@Viv19 - I checked the Dr Almond bread mix packs and they are dated to February 2021 so shelf life seems to be 2 years (I've had them since February).

That’s great, I’ll order some to take back. I really miss yeast bread.
Double take. I think it was the skinny bread, not the Dr Almond bread mix that we were talking about wasn’t it? Is the Dr Almond mix a yeast bread too?
I’ve tried a couple of baking powder recipes but I can’t say that I was overwhelmed by them.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s great, I’ll order some to take back. I really miss yeast bread.
Double take. I think it was the skinny bread, not the Dr Almond bread mix that we were talking about wasn’t it? Is the Dr Almond mix a yeast bread too?
I’ve tried a couple of baking powder recipes but I can’t say that I was overwhelmed by them.
Yes - Skinny Bread from my diet shop. Only reason I mentioned Dr Almond is because they have a shelf life date - Skinny Bread doesn't so I was making the logical step that shelf life should be similar.
Dr almond bread isn't yeasted but it has the potential to be yeasted. They suggest if you want to feed the yeast addition use honey but I discovered you can use inulin. So I intend to give yeasting DR Almond a go and see how it works.
Skinny Bread the work is already done.

Reactions: Viv19

Viv19

It was as well I ate a generous salad pre party. The food catered by her daughter was lovely but not much LC. So I managed some salad leaves, roast chicken, veggie sticks and some humus. I really wanted some delicious looking couscous with apricots, nuts and raisins and a tasty looking quiche but I resisted. As I did the birthday cake and muffins with chocolate pieces on the top.
I was the driver so during the 5 hours I had a small glass of red, ditto of Cava, a cup of tea and lots of water.
Rather fed up that my bg last night was 6.4 and this morning it was 6.9. A rather exaggerated DS. Perhaps because I didn’t sleep well, a stupid back and hard mattress.
Today was different.
Breakfast was late, poached eggs, tom, bacon and mushrooms, plus 1 LC roll toasted.
Lunch - we went to a pub on the Broads after 2, hoping that the Father’s Day lunchers might have gone, mistake. Lunch (at 3.15 pm!) baked cod with some roasted veg. They gave me more veg instead of potatoes with chorizo. Some root veg but by then I was hangry and not thinking too clearly. I had a white wine spritzer, plus extra water.
Tea. Nuts. Celery sticks, cheese pieces and some humus.
Forgot the defrosted raspberries and blueberries with cream.
Bedtime bg far too high. 7.7 I am fed up. Where’s Scotty when I need him?

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - I must have missed the intro to Dennis? Are there pics of Dennis? I'm assuming as a vet is implicated, Dennis may be canine.

In order to remain on-track-ish, I had Greek yog with rhubarb stewed with minced ginger (utterly delightful) and some home made kefir , ginagerous salad, with lots of mayo and chilli, then roast beef (salmon cut), with roasted carrots, mashed swede (with plenty sour cream and white pepper), and a solitary, but magnificent roastie.

I have some whole (always extremely creamy) raw milk becoming kefir at the moment. I'm looking forward to it. These days, I often "cut" my kefir with some coconut cream.

Yes Dennis is a miniature schnauzer pup. I put a photo on the full chat breakfast thread a couple of days ( and about 700 posts) ago. I didn’t like to put one here
Do you add sweetener to your rhubarb? I have pretty much lost my sweet tooth, but found baked rhubarb and ginger still too tart without something sweet.
@maglil55 I didn’t realise insulin could be used to activate yeast - that opens a whole new world of possibilities.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Dennis is a miniature schnauzer pup. I put a photo on the full chat breakfast thread a couple of days ( and about 700 posts) ago. I didn’t like to put one here
Do you add sweetener to your rhubarb? I have pretty much lost my sweet tooth, but found baked rhubarb and ginger still too tart without something sweet.
@maglil55 I didn’t realise insulin could be used to activate yeast - that opens a whole new world of possibilities.

Thanks. My curiosity got the better of me this morning, and I found the handsome little bundle of puppness. He looks adorable, but I bet he'll have a character!

Regarding the rhubarb, it depends where it comes from. If it's from our own crown, I'm fine with it unsweetened, especially if I add giner of cinnamon to it, at the cooking stage. If it's bought (sometimes our crown can't keep up with my gluttony), I'll give it a good looking at and decide. If it's very green, and/or very thick, I'll add a touch of sweetener.

With the yoghurt in the morning, the yoghurt can appear to sweeten in a bit.

Bearing in mind I'm into home made kefir at the moment, some of those brews can be quite tart, so anything would be sweet thereafter.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Inulin not insulin. The stuff I use to get the crunch on top of the LC creme brulee.

Viv19

I saw that there was a breakfast/fasting chat, started by ? HarrisonK ??, but I haven’t been able to find it again. Can you give me a hint where to look? I obviously didn’t put the right words into the search button.
Dad has loads of rhubarb but my bg levels have gone up since I’ve been here, so I’m a bit wary of eating anything different.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw that there was a breakfast/fasting chat, started by ? HarrisonK ??, but I haven’t been able to find it again. Can you give me a hint where to look? I obviously didn’t put the right words into the search button.
Dad has loads of rhubarb but my bg levels have gone up since I’ve been here, so I’m a bit wary of eating anything different.
I find that the stress of travelling and visiting older relatives tends to put my bgs up regardless of how lc I eat - do you react? Could that be exaggating your bg levels?
Edit just found for you
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ose-full-on-chat.163627/page-175#post-2076489

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I find that the stress of travelling and visiting older relatives tends to put my bgs up regardless of how lc I eat - do you react? Could that be exaggating your bg levels?
Edit just found for you
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ose-full-on-chat.163627/page-175#post-2076489

Yes, I've found that as well, especially during the holiday I've just come back from where (most days) we met up with old friends and food, drink and, especially water was not well thought out. Even after just one day back at home and on my normal foods (and quantity of water) my BG has dropped quite dramatically.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Today's food ...

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs

Lunch: (If needed) home made chicken liver pate and celery

Dinner: slow cooked brisket (no veg)

Drinks: One huge mug decaff black coffee, still spring water

Viv19

Edit just found for you

Thanks shelley262 and Chook. That’s reassuring to know about the bg levels. I do have quite horrible back pain at the moment - maybe that stress adds to it. I don’t think the mattress suits me.
Thanks for the link. I want to have a look at the gorgeous puppyness, as well as reading the thread.

Reactions: gennepher

Viv19

Yes, I've found that as well, especially during the holiday I've just come back from where (most days) we met up with old friends and food, drink and, especially water was not well thought out. Even after just one day back at home and on my normal foods (and quantity of water) my BG has dropped quite dramatically.

Good to hear Chook. There’s been so much going on in the past weeks. When we get back home, we will have our foster dog arriving two days later, so there will be lots of walking on the daily programme.