What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
17-06-19
breakfast: home made nutty granola with semi skimmed milk, two cups of tea.
coffee mid morning and four Langue de Chat biscuits, they are tiny, wafer thin, weigh only 2.8g each.
lunch: Salad of mixed leaves, cucumber, radish, peppers. 2 hard boiled eggs, anchovies, 1 tablespoon of home made potato salad
full fat greek yoghurt and mixed summer fruit from the freezer. water and cup of tea.
sugar free squash in the afternoon. pink grapefruit flavour.
dinner: BBQ 2 chicken sausages, vegetable kebab, with courgette, peppers and mushrooms, carrot salad, with mangetout and nigella seeds, Avocado, mozzerella, tomato and basil salad. glass of sauvignon, and larger one of water.
evening cup of tea.
about 2000 calories, 123g fat, 78g carbs, 92g protein, but these are approximations. made no adjustment for activity today either, so probably short on calories.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Chicken drumsticks with a Nando's dipping sauce (lemon and herb marinade).
Dinner: Steak and veggies, brown onion gravey.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, fat cooking bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar /sweeteners, water (plain tappo h2o)

Viv19

I have a guilty conscience that perhaps I should be weighing and counting carbs. It’s completely opposite to my inclination- I’ve never counted calories either when trying to lose weight. I’m wondering whether I should jump over my own shadow and start or whether just judging roughly what fits and what doesn’t is going to do the job. I have lost 9 kilos since starting but maybe the carbs need stricter control.
Though I can’t weigh myself chez Dad. Mum’s old scales show different weight every time I step on them, and it depends on the inclination of the head. ;)))

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a guilty conscience that perhaps I should be weighing and counting carbs. It’s completely opposite to my inclination- I’ve never counted calories either when trying to lose weight. I’m wondering whether I should jump over my own shadow and start or whether just judging roughly what fits and what doesn’t is going to do the job. I have lost 9 kilos since starting but maybe the carbs need stricter control.
Though I can’t weigh myself chez Dad. Mum’s old scales show different weight every time I step on them, and it depends on the inclination of the head. ;)))

Entirely up to you. I didn’t count carbs at first - just cut out all the major ones. Started recording food intake in an app after about 6 months out of interest and got hooked on the data. The data is useful if you hit problems and want to make adjustments as you have accurate details of what did and didn’t work.

I do weigh - once a week, same day and time. However seeing how your clothes fit/measuring are just as helpful.

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

Viv19

Entirely up to you. I didn’t count carbs at first - just cut out all the major ones. Started recording food intake in an app after about 6 months out of interest and got hooked on the data. The data is useful if you hit problems and want to make adjustments as you have accurate details of what did and didn’t work.

I do weigh - once a week, same day and time. However seeing how your clothes fit/measuring are just as helpful.

Which app have you used? The MySugr stopped communicating with my glucose meter and even after long discussion with the support people, removing and re-installing etc etc. it’s still silent. I keep a record of glucose levels on DiaConnect now, but it seems complicated for other info. I’m usually fairly computer literate, but that’s fiddly.

Reactions: gennepher

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All. After a high FBG yesterday the day’s food was:
Breakfast: 1 slice HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch: Tin mackerel (in rich tom sauce, dont like the OO one) with lettuce cucumber one cherry tomato, mayo.
Supper: 3 egg spinach omelette. 4 squares Lindt 90.
1 G&ST.
@BibaBee glad you had a nice birthdays break and Mr B’s hospital appt went well. Hope the injection today is as good as can be. I have my next one next Wed but I am not as afraid this time. I know its just one day of discomfort.
@Goonergal I have yet to make the Choc Olive Oil cake. I might half the quantities and hope it freezes as not really OHs thing.
@shelley262 hope your knee is improving, so unlucky for that to happen.
Best wishes All.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All. After a high FBG yesterday the day’s food was:
Breakfast: 1 slice HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch: Tin mackerel (in rich tom sauce, dont like the OO one) with lettuce cucumber one cherry tomato, mayo.
Supper: 3 egg spinach omelette. 4 squares Lindt 90.
1 G&ST.
@BibaBee glad you had a nice birthdays break and Mr B’s hospital appt went well. Hope the injection today is as good as can be. I have my next one next Wed but I am not as afraid this time. I know its just one day of discomfort.
@Goonergal I have yet to make the Choc Olive Oil cake. I might half the quantities and hope it freezes as not really OHs thing.
@shelley262 hope your knee is improving, so unlucky for that to happen.
Best wishes All.
Hi knee slow to recover - frustrating as I adore walking but it will get there I’m sure.
When I do any lc cakes including olive oil cake I cut it into small portions and freeze they do really well no worries.
@BibaBee happy belated birthdays your cake looks so so tempting and pleased eye stuffgoing better for mrB
@DJC3 hope Dennis settles soon I am not good with too much sleep disruption.
@Goonergal your weekend sounds busy but good fun making a special birthday experience for your dad

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 dont know if you take a vit c supplement but when I broke my wrist and had lots of soft tissue damage I went on 1000g slow release vit c and upped my protein and the hospital remarked how quickly everything improved.

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 hope Dennis settles soon I am not good with too much sleep disruption.

I’ve started a new Headspace course to help minimise the effects of tiredness and anxiety - funny thing is it seems to help Dennis settle too!
Hugs for the knee, at least you aren’t carrying a lot of weight on it now - it would have probably been a lot worse when you were bigger. (Maybe not much consolation when it’s hurting a lot)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 dont know if you take a vit c supplement but when I broke my wrist and had lots of soft tissue damage I went on 1000g slow release vit c and upped my protein and the hospital remarked how quickly everything improved.
Thank you that’s interesting will try it. Think I must have twisted one or two muscles around the knee cap when went down I do have vit c but don’t often remember to take!

Reactions: gennepher

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve started a new Headspace course to help minimise the effects of tiredness and anxiety - funny thing is it seems to help Dennis settle too!
Hugs for the knee, at least you aren’t carrying a lot of weight on it now - it would have probably been a lot worse when you were bigger. (Maybe not much consolation when it’s hurting a lot)
Pleased Headspace helps you both! I also listen to classic fm radio or a classical play list when going to sleep and that helps me too. Cooper coming over for weekend to stay and he finds classical music soothing they leave radio on for him when they leave him for short periods it seems to work.
As you say though the weight would have made it all worse as surface hard marble tiles so my whole weight was behind the knee! Count your blessings indeed and I do. X

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
What a beautiful day!! I'm busy today so won't be able to sit in the garden to enjoy it. :shifty:

@DJC3 - twenty minutes might be a bit too long for Dennis at the moment. The dog trainer we had for monster dog Jack (who's actually not such a monster any more) recommended starting with two minutes and going up a minute at a time. No fuss when you're leaving but praise when you get back.

Today...

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: Hot roast chicken and a green side salad

Drinks: one black decaff coffee and lots of water.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All!

Holiday going fabulously. And weather much better than expected, which is brilliant.

We’ve got family with us which is playing havoc with my eating routines and food choices, but i am generally skipping breakfast or cooking huge amounts of egg or sausages, and letting ppl dig in.
Lunch is out, and frankly I cannot be ***** with phaffing around being pedantic with carb intake. Have had 2 jacket pots so far, one cheese/tuna and the other a miracle of a haggis/cheese combo. Heavenly. Oh yeah.
Then suppers are homemade, by me. Beef stew or lemon/lime chicken, done in the instant pot. The carboholics get to have veg and new potatoes. And one person doesn’t seem to be able to eat without instant gravy granule gloop poured over (yes, even poured over my lemon/lime chook!)

It is certainly astonishing seeing how much carb intake ‘normal’ people consider to be ‘normal’ throughout the day. Drinks. Snacks. Mains. Puds. Carbs 6-8 times a day. Sugar nearly every time. :wideyed: I have created a v sheltered existence for myself. Haha!:D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook thanks for the recommendation, I’ll start slowly then.
@Brunneria glad the holiday is going well, but agree they can wreak havoc with a normally hassle free eating routine. Sometimes life is simply there to be enjoyed though so It’s good you’re allowing yourself a little leeway. I am really astounded too by other people’s normal, makes me feel a bit uncomfortable to watch, but then a lot of it was normal for me too once ( never sugary fizzy drinks though - I’ve always thought they were the work of the devil)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All!

Holiday going fabulously. And weather much better than expected, which is brilliant.

We’ve got family with us which is playing havoc with my eating routines and food choices, but i am generally skipping breakfast or cooking huge amounts of egg or sausages, and letting ppl dig in.
Lunch is out, and frankly I cannot be ***** with phaffing around being pedantic with carb intake. Have had 2 jacket pots so far, one cheese/tuna and the other a miracle of a haggis/cheese combo. Heavenly. Oh yeah.
Then suppers are homemade, by me. Beef stew or lemon/lime chicken, done in the instant pot. The carboholics get to have veg and new potatoes. And one person doesn’t seem to be able to eat without instant gravy granule gloop poured over (yes, even poured over my lemon/lime chook!)

It is certainly astonishing seeing how much carb intake ‘normal’ people consider to be ‘normal’ throughout the day. Drinks. Snacks. Mains. Puds. Carbs 6-8 times a day. Sugar nearly every time. :wideyed: I have created a v sheltered existence for myself. Haha!:D

Were you OK with the haggis, Brunneria? Whilst the oats aren't strictly gluten, their avenin is quite a close relative, if I recall correctly. On that basis, I avoided it in Edinburgh a few months ago. I sooooo fancied a little starter featuring haggis, but didn't fancy the fall-out (yes, that was deliberate) on the journey home. It's a long journey Edinburgh to chez moi.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Were you OK with the haggis, Brunneria? Whilst the oats aren't strictly gluten, their avenin is quite a close relative, if I recall correctly. On that basis, I avoided it in Edinburgh a few months ago. I sooooo fancied a little starter featuring haggis, but didn't fancy the fall-out (yes, that was deliberate) on the journey home. It's a long journey Edinburgh to chez moi.

No haggis gluten repercussions at all (yet). Though I haven’t been testing to see the blood glucose impact. Left my kit at home (deliberately), so am flying blind. But then we are also being pretty active, and I’m not over-indulging. I’ve got a pretty goodidea of my reaction to certain foods, and have been leaving over half of the potatoes, mainly because potatoes are boring.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No haggis gluten repercussions at all (yet). Though I haven’t been testing to see the blood glucose impact. Left my kit at home (deliberately), so am flying blind. But then we are also being pretty active, and I’m not over-indulging. I’ve got a pretty goodidea of my reaction to certain foods, and have been leaving over half of the potatoes, mainly because potatoes are boring.

:sour: <<<<< this is my envious face

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:sour: <<<<< this is my envious face

I know. And I am deeply appreciative of how fortunate I am. My gluten tolerance is definitely better after 2? 3? years of being strictly GF, and nearly 18 months carnivore.
- which supports the theory of gut permeability being causative for autoimmune issues. My psoriasis, joints and gut reactions to gluten have reduced brilliantly. The biggest improvement has definitely been since carnivory. Am tentatively hoping for further improvements, over time. And now just have to avoid too many ‘indulgences’ which would cause relapsing. :)

Ironically, I still get the same level reactions (7+ on Richter scale) from veg. Go figure.

Reactions: Chook and gennepher