What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.2 after a terrible night tossing and turning. When I did sleep I dreamt of a ninja tiger wearing glasses stslking my garden. After reading @gennepher s post heaven knows what dreams that will invoke. Great FBG @gennepher I think you have been gradually getting your numbers down and you are in a good place. @jay hay-char I do love a ginger cat. Off to the eye clinic in a minute after my first cup of tea.
Have a good day everyone. Stay well, stay safe.
All the best for the eye clinic

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and happy bin day everyone on this rather dreary morning here in the dark and dangerous north.
The wonder wheel of Deno and the Cyclone let rip a steady 5.5 at wake o’clock this morning.

Off to the the garden centre this morning to buy defensive supplies in the ongoing campaign on the Catastrophe Front Line.

Hopefully the weather will start picking up later today and I can get my bike out for a spin.

I am expecting a new book purchase to arrive today. I thought about having a Kindle version but it’s not the same as having a book.

Anyhow, have a great day if you can.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A disappointing 6.3 this morning, hoped for lower really but never mind.
I Think I’m not getting enough exercise. Dennis is only having 2x 15 mins exercise a day as he is so little, (apparently puppies should have 5 minutes per month of their age twice a day, so for a 3 month old that’s just 15 mins.) I should just do some squats or sit ups at home - that’d entertain him as well as help me.
@PenguinMum hope your eye app goes well today and you manage to relax on the sofa with the radio on for the rest of the day.
@gennepher I’m glad you got such a good outcome from your appt yesterday and don’t have to go back for another year. I hope the new eye drops help. I can imagine the sights of so many amputees would be a sobering one. It’s a shame that dietician wasn’t there to see them and realise the potential time bomb of his opinion.

Viv19

fbg at 4:15 am this morning.....drumroll...is 7.5

WHAT?

For me, that low? I am normally around 9’s, a bit above in double figures, but I cannot find a 7.5 in my little black book for a fbg....

It was a stressful day yesterday with driving that distance, the heat in the hospital, the wait because the morning clinics ran over, it was the eye check up from my laser treatment.

I have had less than 4 hours sleep, I can’t wind down yet, it will take me all of today. Yet I get a fbg of 7.5

Food wise yesterday was still very low carb, but the difference was I bought some really fresh fruit from the hospital farm stall, which is there daily, ate that while I was waiting in the heat and then driving home. I am talking of a humungous punnet of beautiful strawberries, that tasted as though they had just been picked off sun kissed strawberry fields. They were very local, just miles up the road. (I still have another very large punnet, and a punnet of strawberries. There is a heavenly scent from them.)

Then I had to pick up a parcel when I got home. I didn’t want to go out today, but stay at home. So I made the effort to pick the parcel. Next door was a fish and chip shop, and so I bought a piece of fish. Took the batter off, yes I had a tiny nibble, and just ate the fish inside. The fish in this fish and chip shop, is not frozen fish, but the fresh fish you get in some seaside town fish and chip shops.

How do I keep these lower blood glucose readings?

Did you drink lots of water yesterday? I’m wondering if that’s the reason for my much lower bg readings after spending time with friends. I always drink wine and lots of water to counter balance it. Still lots of research to be done

Viv19

Gave a funny due to the order of the items for liquid intake - how very droll.

I didn’t drink wine and water yesterday evening. Perhaps I’d better start it as a regular habit. If it’s hot I mix them, but otherwise one glass of wine with a glass of water beside is good.
I don’t usually drink much wine in the uk. I find the prices quite shocking so I tend to stick to G & ST or brandy and soda if I have a drink.
Though prices in Finland and Sweden are above shocking- you’re more likely to need to save up to buy a bottle of low Aldi standard wine (Aldi does have good drinkable wine, but also the one-step above vinegar lemonade stuff). The taxes to deter the alkies I believe.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A disappointing 6.3 this morning, hoped for lower really but never mind.
I Think I’m not getting enough exercise. Dennis is only having 2x 15 mins exercise a day as he is so little, (apparently puppies should have 5 minutes per month of their age twice a day, so for a 3 month old that’s just 15 mins.) I should just do some squats or sit ups at home - that’d entertain him as well as help me.
Relax, young lady. Up and down the country several times a year, new puppy and balancing T2 with fodmap plus body adjusting to no Metformin? Who'd a thunk bg would not be where you want it? Now drink your CWC and be a good @DJC3 please.:angelic:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMG_20190625_185420877~01.jpg
Cyprus day 2
FBG this am 6.0.
Head a little worse for wear, so happy with that.

Yesterday, a walk to the harbour after breakfast, have to get bus to nearest beach 30 mins away. .bus trip fine
Beach busy but we find two beds easy enough, near to water..(beach beds tiered on 3 levels... is nicer then it sounds)
Water refreshingly COLD :woot::woot::wideyed:
.....but bearable once in
Back on bus, 6pm..a slow walk through town, intending to go back to room...
Get way laid by quirky cider bar, missus read about, that we pass on way home

Decide to sit for "just the one..:hilarious: "
(Oh, how we lie to ourselves )

Madame had frozen lemon curd cider.
Think slush puppie, with a major kick
Very tasty.
I had Perry cider, @7 5%.

Great hosts, good chat..several drinks later and wallet £28 lighter ...we stumble off to get food.

Oh, and cats galore, but on camera as phone died.

We both have Tave ? On wife's recommendation.

not such a good choice.:***:

Back home, I lie down on bed for 5 minutes.1145pm.

Wake up this morning 9am,
Furry tongue, headache, ache all over
(Must of been the food ..lol. )

Off to do it all again today, somewhere else..hahaha..;)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This made me feel sad to read. It is ok if they knew that cutting down the carbs would save their feet but they made the decision to go ahead with the carbs and take a chance on the feet. It's ok because they have a right to make that choice.

The people who I feel upset about are the ones that didn't know that the advice to base meals on carbs was the wrong advice and would have followed the low carb way of only they had known about it.

On a happier note - brilliant fbs and great that your hospital visit went well in spite of the oppressive heat.

All I could see @Krystyna23040 with the guy with the amputated toes was more parts of his feet and legs being amputated. He was put in front of me in his wheelchair, after I had been already been waiting for some time, and for those 2 hours before my eye doctor called me I was watching him eat carb laden food as as the crisps, the white bread in his triple pack sandwich and drinking diet drinks. I couldn’t stop my brain visualising with each bite he took, that was another segment of his body becoming diseased and needing cutting away. (I couldn’t even go to another seat because the place was packed, and patients were already standing). The place was packed like sardines by the time I left, and some of the morning patients were still there.

I felt really physically sick, and it was like an imprint on my mind never to eat the ‘wrong’ kinds of foods again.

And if anyone, a friend etc, offers me something in food I don’t want, bad carbs etc, I am not afraid of upsetting someone in future (I wasn’t before, I refused, but people seem to think it funny to insist by saying it won’t do you any harm), but my reply now will be, ‘Every bite of that food/treat/biscuit, for me as a diabetic, is one step further towards amputation.’ I can expand as necessary, but I don’t think it will be.

Thank you for the fbg good wishes!

>^..^<

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. What nut job decides to entice a buzzard into his back garden?

We are off to a large garden centre this morning for a look-see and will see if they can fulfill some of your ideas. Our back garden is full of light at night as Mrs Miggins has festooned the place with a good number of solar powered lights - there are even lights climbing some of the trees.

Cat silhouettes sound good, with glow eyes and we will think about the idea of chicken wire. We know about the half full plastic bottles - seen them in Spain but not sure how effective they will be on dull days.

Thank you again and everyone who has contributed - I think that I have heard enough about cats now. It’s like a cat version refresher of Sun Tzu, on the Art Of War and Sun Zi’s Military Methods. It’s all defensive tactics.

I don’t know, but it was 2 gardens down and I reported it. There are toddlers and babies round here too. It was 10 years ago now and is still vivid in my mind. And my current elderly cat won’t sleep on my exposed garage roof any more (he can still climb up there), and the buzzards are back to circling on the thermals from the steelworks. And I am wary of buzzards still....

I hope you have a good day at the garden centre and you find good stuff that fulfills your needs.

Sun Tzu’s Art of War :)
I love that book. It’s one of the books on my bedside shelves.....

>^..^<

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best of luck today guys, hope all the visits go well and give good results
@alf_Josiah
@PenguinMum
@johnpol

And @gennepher .
Sad to see all that yesterday,
Have to see hospital time existing in a totally different celestial plane then "time" as us mere mortals understand it.

As for FBG..it's almost a constant variable regardless of recent activities, some times seems it's evaluating previous day's bloods before issuing forth today's reading, so it's not always linear as I can tell..better to try spotting the trends ,imho

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher I’m glad you got such a good outcome from your appt yesterday and don’t have to go back for another year. I hope the new eye drops help. I can imagine the sights of so many amputees would be a sobering one. It’s a shame that dietician wasn’t there to see them and realise the potential time bomb of his opinion.
Thank you @DJC3
I agree. I wish the dietician could have seen that. It was not a nice sight.
Even the man next to me initially in a wheelchair saying he didn’t feel well in that heat and he had been on dialysis since very early that morning, I am thinking is that diabetic related because he is in the eye clinic for his eyes.
Yesterday was like being in, and surrounded by the hell for diabetic consequences....

>^..^<

Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Relax, young lady. Up and down the country several times a year, new puppy and balancing T2 with fodmap plus body adjusting to no Metformin? Who'd a thunk bg would not be where you want it? Now drink your CWC and be a good @DJC3 please.:angelic:

Thanks Ian, you are very good at putting things in perspective (for other people I may add - but usually very hard on yourself!)
I also have my 6 month scan coming up in a couple of weeks and think that’s a major player, I have noted previously that the month before it always brings high readings. No point worrying about worrying as well.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @DJC3
I agree. I wish the dietician could have seen that. It was not a nice sight.
Even the man next to me initially in a wheelchair saying he didn’t feel well in that heat and he had been on dialysis since very early that morning, I am thinking is that diabetic related because he is in the eye clinic for his eyes.
Yesterday was like being in, and surrounded by the hell for diabetic consequences....

>^..^<

I’m going to keep that picture in my mind for those days when I feel fed up and am tempted to stray off the path.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And @gennepher .
Sad to see all that yesterday,
Have to see hospital time existing in a totally different celestial plane then "time" as us mere mortals understand it.

As for FBG..it's almost a constant variable regardless of recent activities, some times seems it's evaluating previous day's bloods before issuing forth today's reading, so it's not always linear as I can tell..better to try spotting the trends ,imho

Those images yesterday @jjraak will never leave me, nor the images I got with it. It is a hospital world I don’t want to become a part of.

Yes fbg has an enormous amount of variables. It is a whole thing of life, your body, food etc. There is no one cause and effect, it would be easier if it was. I make brief notes every day in a notebook of readings, different food I tried and at different times of day, and if something occurs to me. Just the act of writing and recording helps, and helps me remember without having to search through my notebook. And reading on this thread helps. Thank you.

>^..^<

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 33940
Cyprus day 2
FBG this am 6.0.
Head a little worse for wear, so happy with that.

Yesterday, a walk to the harbour after breakfast, have to get bus to nearest beach 30 mins away. .bus trip fine
Beach busy but we find two beds easy enough, near to water..(beach beds tiered on 3 levels... is nicer then it sounds)
Water refreshingly COLD :woot::woot::wideyed:
.....but bearable once in
Back on bus, 6pm..a slow walk through town, intending to go back to room...
Get way laid by quirky cider bar, missus read about, that we pass on way home

Decide to sit for "just the one..:hilarious: "
(Oh, how we lie to ourselves )

Madame had frozen lemon curd cider.
Think slush puppie, with a major kick
Very tasty.
I had Perry cider, @7 5%.

Great hosts, good chat..several drinks later and wallet £28 lighter ...we stumble off to get food.

Oh, and cats galore, but on camera as phone died.

We both have Tave ? On wife's recommendation.

not such a good choice.:***:

Back home, I lie down on bed for 5 minutes.1145pm.

Wake up this morning 9am,
Furry tongue, headache, ache all over
(Must of been the food ..lol. )

Off to do it all again today, somewhere else..hahaha..;)

I love your holiday posts. What on earth is Tave though?

Reactions: gennepher