1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HarrisonK, Apr 24, 2019.

1. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A disappointing 6.3 this morning, hoped for lower really but never mind.
    I Think I’m not getting enough exercise. Dennis is only having 2x 15 mins exercise a day as he is so little, (apparently puppies should have 5 minutes per month of their age twice a day, so for a 3 month old that’s just 15 mins.) I should just do some squats or sit ups at home - that’d entertain him as well as help me.
    @PenguinMum hope your eye app goes well today and you manage to relax on the sofa with the radio on for the rest of the day.
    @gennepher I’m glad you got such a good outcome from your appt yesterday and don’t have to go back for another year. I hope the new eye drops help. I can imagine the sights of so many amputees would be a sobering one. It’s a shame that dietician wasn’t there to see them and realise the potential time bomb of his opinion.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. Viv19

Last night reading was 6.4, this morning fbg was 7. That’s a bit extreme.
    Must drink more wine and water!

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Gave a funny due to the order of the items for liquid intake - how very droll.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Viv19

I didn’t drink wine and water yesterday evening. Perhaps I’d better start it as a regular habit. If it’s hot I mix them, but otherwise one glass of wine with a glass of water beside is good.
    I don’t usually drink much wine in the uk. I find the prices quite shocking so I tend to stick to G & ST or brandy and soda if I have a drink.
    Though prices in Finland and Sweden are above shocking- you’re more likely to need to save up to buy a bottle of low Aldi standard wine (Aldi does have good drinkable wine, but also the one-step above vinegar lemonade stuff). The taxes to deter the alkies I believe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Relax, young lady. Up and down the country several times a year, new puppy and balancing T2 with fodmap plus body adjusting to no Metformin? Who'd a thunk bg would not be where you want it? Now drink your CWC and be a good @DJC3 please.:angelic:

• Like Like x 7
  7. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

IMG_20190625_185420877~01.jpg
    Cyprus day 2
    FBG this am 6.0.
    Head a little worse for wear, so happy with that.

Yesterday, a walk to the harbour after breakfast, have to get bus to nearest beach 30 mins away. .bus trip fine
    Beach busy but we find two beds easy enough, near to water..(beach beds tiered on 3 levels... is nicer then it sounds)
    Water refreshingly COLD :woot::woot::wideyed:
    .....but bearable once in
    Back on bus, 6pm..a slow walk through town, intending to go back to room...
    Get way laid by quirky cider bar, missus read about, that we pass on way home

Decide to sit for "just the one..:hilarious: "
    (Oh, how we lie to ourselves )

Madame had frozen lemon curd cider.
    Think slush puppie, with a major kick
    Very tasty.
    I had Perry cider, @7 5%.

Great hosts, good chat..several drinks later and wallet £28 lighter ...we stumble off to get food.

Oh, and cats galore, but on camera as phone died.

We both have Tave ? On wife's recommendation.

not such a good choice.:wtf:

Back home, I lie down on bed for 5 minutes.1145pm.

Wake up this morning 9am,
    Furry tongue, headache, ache all over
    (Must of been the food ..lol. )

Off to do it all again today, somewhere else..hahaha..;)

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

All I could see @Krystyna23040 with the guy with the amputated toes was more parts of his feet and legs being amputated. He was put in front of me in his wheelchair, after I had been already been waiting for some time, and for those 2 hours before my eye doctor called me I was watching him eat carb laden food as as the crisps, the white bread in his triple pack sandwich and drinking diet drinks. I couldn’t stop my brain visualising with each bite he took, that was another segment of his body becoming diseased and needing cutting away. (I couldn’t even go to another seat because the place was packed, and patients were already standing). The place was packed like sardines by the time I left, and some of the morning patients were still there.

I felt really physically sick, and it was like an imprint on my mind never to eat the ‘wrong’ kinds of foods again.

And if anyone, a friend etc, offers me something in food I don’t want, bad carbs etc, I am not afraid of upsetting someone in future (I wasn’t before, I refused, but people seem to think it funny to insist by saying it won’t do you any harm), but my reply now will be, ‘Every bite of that food/treat/biscuit, for me as a diabetic, is one step further towards amputation.’ I can expand as necessary, but I don’t think it will be.

Thank you for the fbg good wishes!

>^..^<

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    #4228 gennepher, Jun 26, 2019 at 9:17 AM
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  9. gennepher

I don’t know, but it was 2 gardens down and I reported it. There are toddlers and babies round here too. It was 10 years ago now and is still vivid in my mind. And my current elderly cat won’t sleep on my exposed garage roof any more (he can still climb up there), and the buzzards are back to circling on the thermals from the steelworks. And I am wary of buzzards still....

I hope you have a good day at the garden centre and you find good stuff that fulfills your needs.

Sun Tzu’s Art of War :)
    I love that book. It’s one of the books on my bedside shelves.....

>^..^<

• Like Like x 5
  10. gennepher

Oh definitely!!!!

>^..^<

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Best of luck today guys, hope all the visits go well and give good results
    @alf_Josiah
    @PenguinMum
    @johnpol

And @gennepher .
    Sad to see all that yesterday,
    Have to see hospital time existing in a totally different celestial plane then "time" as us mere mortals understand it.

As for FBG..it's almost a constant variable regardless of recent activities, some times seems it's evaluating previous day's bloods before issuing forth today's reading, so it's not always linear as I can tell..better to try spotting the trends ,imho

• Like Like x 6
  12. gennepher

Thank you @DJC3
    I agree. I wish the dietician could have seen that. It was not a nice sight.
    Even the man next to me initially in a wheelchair saying he didn’t feel well in that heat and he had been on dialysis since very early that morning, I am thinking is that diabetic related because he is in the eye clinic for his eyes.
    Yesterday was like being in, and surrounded by the hell for diabetic consequences....

>^..^<

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. DJC3

Thanks Ian, you are very good at putting things in perspective (for other people I may add - but usually very hard on yourself!)
    I also have my 6 month scan coming up in a couple of weeks and think that’s a major player, I have noted previously that the month before it always brings high readings. No point worrying about worrying as well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. DJC3

I’m going to keep that picture in my mind for those days when I feel fed up and am tempted to stray off the path.

• Like Like x 7
  15. gennepher

Those images yesterday @jjraak will never leave me, nor the images I got with it. It is a hospital world I don’t want to become a part of.

Yes fbg has an enormous amount of variables. It is a whole thing of life, your body, food etc. There is no one cause and effect, it would be easier if it was. I make brief notes every day in a notebook of readings, different food I tried and at different times of day, and if something occurs to me. Just the act of writing and recording helps, and helps me remember without having to search through my notebook. And reading on this thread helps. Thank you.

>^..^<

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. DJC3

I love your holiday posts. What on earth is Tave though?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. pavlosn

pavlosn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My old University haunt

• Like Like x 5
  18. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

FRIDAY :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Sun Tzu and von Clausewitz - very useful reading if you are in business, are a teacher; generally just good reading. I also keep dipping into Marcus Aurelius - keeps me sane (ish). I guess if you are fighting diabetes these could be useful reads; If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

good morning all :)

4.4 for me today

it's a bit grey here today but we'll probably go over to mum's at lunchtime (broccoli and cheddar soup is on the hob as I post ) and do some tidying in her garden :) Last time we were there we did some strimming and we need to rake up and move the stuff we cut.

Better put the green bin out ready for the 'scavi wagon'

Hope your day is treating you well :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    #4240 geefull, Jun 26, 2019 at 11:48 AM
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook