What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They took off. And when they were up the captain turned around, he had a box of biscuits and a flask of coffee he offered to all 6 passengers! He also got out his map! My mum wasnt one to exaggerate!

I flew a 4-seater Cessna 172 from Derby to Dublin (via L'pool), a flask of coffee and sandwiches were involved, plus I was VFR (visual flight rules) at that time so everything was plotted on a map that sat in my knee pocket :) I followed the cat ferry out of Holyhead just in case we had a problem, one of my very happy memories of flying and Dublin.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I flew a 4-seater Cessna 172 from Derby to Dublin (via L'pool), a flask of coffee and sandwiches were involved, plus I was VFR (visual flight rules) at that time so everything was plotted on a map that sat in my knee pocket :) I followed the cat ferry out of Holyhead just in case we had a problem, one of my very happy memories of flying and Dublin.

I just saw this. I loved our jump club's Cessna.

I'm glad to know that Britain ferries cats to Ireland -- to keep them from being BBQ'd. Is the ferry called the Saint Patrick?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like the use of the phrase "if I try hard enough I can make something work"
It's almost like you are beating yourself up. That is just my personal feeling. I wanted to reply to this yesterday, but I didn't have the words. I hope I am not speaking out of order.

Other people don't come into this. A problem is just the same whether it is a massive one or a so called little one. It can feel the same to the person.

I would like to call your eating journey an exploration, a exciting journey of discovery. There are many twists and turns in a journey. A journey can be going great, but then there is an unexpected hiccup or blocking of the way. So then you backtrack, look for a new way round, even walking upstream (which to continue the journey analogy can be an exciting way to reach one of your destinations).

I can tell you are always researching, maybe looking for answers. But I am not sure it is straightforward as that. I am now talking about other things in my life as well, not just diabetes, and it seems to me that there are always twists and turns. And no one way works forever,. Some may work a short time, and others may work longer. Then something changes (for diabetes it's something in our body for whatever reason, for the journey I now have a tree blocking my path and a fast flowing stream besides it).

I've completely despaired before now, and literally thrown in the towel. And gone off the rails a bit. Especially trying to work with that stupid dietician last year. It just felt hopeless.

I hope I haven't spoken out of turn here. And I apologise if I have.

I was looking for a proverb my partner used to say, but I am sad because I have forgotten it. It is about a bird always singing even if she is freezing on the branch.

But I found this one just now, and I think I like it...

“Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings.”
Novelist and dramatis Victor Hugo

>^..^<

This is lovely, very well articulated Gennepher.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg this morning was 5.6. Happy with that. Anything that starts 5 is good.
We took Dennis to the beach for the first time this morning, before it got too busy. Holywell has a freshwater stream running through it so he could enjoy the sand and a. bit of paddling without the big scary waves frightening him. He was remarkably well behaved!
@karen8967 glad to see your fbg was spot on this morning.
@Krystyna23040 good fbg. I really like the Moser Roth chocolate too. And the fact that it comes individually wrapped in little bars is great for portion control ( I do sometimes struggle with the stop button)
@PenguinMum I’m so glad your birthday weekend is turning out to be so lovely. What a great surprise having your son arrive unexpectedly and what a brilliant birthday present your HbA1c was. Fantastic result!
@pavlosn you look super relaxed and happy. Hope you enjoyed the Pride jollities.
@MisplacedIdentity congrats on your dancing prize - were you stone cold sober? It takes me at least 1/2 bottle of wine to make me get up.
@Bubbsie are you enjoying Killing Eve? I thought it was brilliant, best thing on tv for ages.
@Debandez hope your dryer gets fixed. I’m ashamed to say that even on a sunny day I’ll stick towels in the dryer so they come out soft and fluffy not rock hard.
@ianpspurs I’m glad to note your gout is gradually getting better. Shame there’s no cricket for you today though.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Skipping breakfast but still taking my diabetes meds, did not prove so wise. I was feeling lazy so slept in through the morning, while the wife went to the shops. She woke me up on her return around 1:00 pm to head for lunch.

My glucose level 3.7 - definitely not comfortable that low. The hotel has a display of sweets/candy laid out in the reception for kids. I decided to help myself to some just in case.

Viv19

@Viv19 forgot to tell you the ‘Hurry Up’ is working!!!!! Dennis will pretty much go to order now. So helpful, thank you.
@SaskiaKC that video clip was blocked for me but I think I’ve seen it, and agree there should be more general horseplay amongst adults.

That’s brilliant. Clever boy.
I wanted to post a pic of our sweet foster dog, but it kept coming up as locked. Oh well, never mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau and DJC3

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - I sometimes struggle with the stop button also - so I also really love the fact that the \Moser Roth 85% is in 25g individually wrapped bars because I know that I will definitely stop at one bar. I'm taking some of them with me to London next week where I am on a course. They will be an ideal lunch with a cup of coffee and cream and will keep me going until my evening meal.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

was 4.8 this morning

The sun has come out, I got a few plants out into the ground in the garden and just spent a happy hour at mum's mowing grass ;) I must admit I do like the smell of freshly cut grass.

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...had a great sleep last night after an evening with the tennis & killing Eve...the paperwork stayed untouched procrastination is one of my major attributes at the moment...I'm (supposedly)off to collect a captains chair that I want for the study and I'm thinking it's Sunday the sun is out & more coffee in the garden watching the birds feed sounds preferable...no I need to get organised...I am about to get dressed & get off down that motorway before I change my mind...woke to a 6.8.

Yesterday afternoon I was going to post that I had been given a comfy chair. But after trying to get comfortable in it most of the evening and again this morning I was ready to give it back, or pass it on ...

But I am not the only one who lives here and my roommate seems to find it very comfy indeed ...
thumbnail

Attachments

• comfychair.jpg
    comfychair.jpg
    761.2 KB · Views: 244

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

was 4.8 this morning

The sun has come out, I got a few plants out into the ground in the garden and just spent a happy hour at mum's mowing grass ;) I must admit I do like the smell of freshly cut grass.

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)
Winner for the hour spent happily grass cutting. (Worst part of being immobile is no grass cutting)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday afternoon I was going to post that I had been given a comfy chair. But after trying to get comfortable in it most of the evening and again this morning I was ready to give it back, or pass it on ...

But I am not the only one who lives here and my roommate seems to find it very comfy indeed ...
thumbnail
It is definitely HER chair!

>^..^<

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful!!! Memories. Dont ya just love em